Tendonitis - ouch!

voltaren gel is just a NSAID in gel form. So aspirin, ibuprofen, and many others would be similar.

True enough but many don't want to run the risk of bleeding problems related to NSAIDs, especially as we get a little older. Others get gastric upset, some have renal issues and still others are allergic. I can take ASA without issue but am still quite happy to use a local topical pain reliever if it does the job well. In most cases, oral NSAIDs are very good until they're not.

Scuba,
I used to play a lot of tennis, until my knee started giving me problems.
Typically if I started observing pain from playing, I would just stop playing for a while, and it would heal up.
Then I got tennis elbow. I rested for over two months. It seemed fine, but as soon as I made contact with the ball hitting a backhand, I would get a very sharp pain down my arm. So resting didn't seem to help. I even tried to change over to a two handed backhand, but I wasn't very good at this.
I finally went to a physical therapist. They gave me exercises with a large rubber band. I would sit in a chair with my forearm laying on the top of my bent leg. The rubber band wrapped around the back of my hand, and down around my foot. I would lift my hand up and down against the resistance of the rubber band. I would do three sets of 100 lift/lower cycles, and then turn my hand 180 degrees (palm up), and repeat doing three sets of 100. It hurt like crazy at first.

Within a week of doing these exercises, the pain was gone while playing tennis, and my arm was stronger than ever.

I am now a big believer in physical therapy.

Good luck,

JP

^ I don't think one ever really heals from tennis elbow, it just stops hurting until you use it or aggravate it again

that's why it's imperative to do those exercises

True enough but many don't want to run the risk of bleeding problems related to NSAIDs, ....
Sorry, I was suggesting a topical OTC NSAID just like the cream you liked and not an oral NSAID.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was suggesting a topical OTC NSAID just like the cream you liked and not an oral NSAID.

Good with that. If you can get an OTC NSAID gel then for sure. Always happy with a generic when available. Begs the question of why Voltaren gel would be prescription?

Advil (ibuprofen) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It stops the inflammation process in your body, which relieves pain, swelling, and fever. Zorvolex (Diclofenac) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It stops your body from making chemicals that cause inflammation and pain.

Probably just a bit more dangerous.

I had this on both arms off and on for many years. Then I snapped my bicep tendon. They gave me exercises that strengthened all the muscles in my forearm and surrounding muscles. Never came back.

The theory is that your tendons are taking on too much of the weight and you have to build the muscles to relieve that situation.

But they don't go to the spot of the hurt--like Volteran. It keeps down swelling and helps with pain. Then apply a lotion with lidocaine and it is as good as you can do without injections.

My wife suffers with pain and is avoiding anymore cortisone shots. It affects your liver after a while.

My wife suffers with pain and is avoiding anymore cortisone shots. It affects your liver after a while.

I had to have a couple of cervical epidurals. Three were scheduled but only two performed. As we discussed some of my issues the doc says "this stuff has a list of side effects as long as your arm, you've had enough".

Yikes! Finally went to an ortho doc today and he thinks I don't have tennis elbow but I may have a torn ligament. MRI is next step. He said if the MRI confirms his thinking, and if my pain isn't going away on its own, surgery is the best option. I don't like that answer!

I have a female friend who tore a ligament in her elbow, had surgery and is playing tennis without issue. It can work out just fine. Good Luck.

Yikes! Finally went to an ortho doc today and he thinks I don't have tennis elbow but I may have a torn ligament. MRI is next step. He said if the MRI confirms his thinking, and if my pain isn't going away on its own, surgery is the best option. I don't like that answer!
Good luck.

The exercises. I developed severe tennis elbow (kept ignoring it thinking it would go away) in both arms years ago. Extensive PT, electric current (or some such) thingy to stimulate, anti-inflamarories, etc. It took about 6 mos. if not more. PT said the minute it comes back do the exercises, and sure enough it's reared its ugly head several times since.

I also get golfer's elbow (other bone on the elbow) with too much weeding. The same exercises work for that.

I have been playing tennis for more than 35 years and didn't have a problem with my elbow until about 10 years ago.

A combination of PT and anti inflammatory drugs started to work after two weeks then two weeks later I was back on the tennis court with a different racquet. The tennis pro at my club recommended a racket with a lighter head and I never had the problem again. I purchased 3 of the same rackets before they went out of stock and have been playing with them since.

Back
Top Bottom