The Summer of 2023 - Freedom from Cataracts

Here's a look at first summary notice for the pre-op visit. 6-2-2023.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    375 KB · Views: 54
Am so glad to hear this.

Some people have trouble adjusting to MF contacts, but I took to them like a duck to water and really miss them (eyes too dry, cataracts at Level 2). So...when the time comes for cataract surgery, I am glad to hear a positive vote for the MF lenses.

When it came time for the cataract surgery I opted for the multi focal implants and it was the best thing I ever did.They provide correction for close up , intermediate and distance vision. I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes and have never had to wear a pair of glasses since the surgery. Its like having your 30 year old eyes once again. As a physically active person, I absolutely hated wearing glasses.
The down side to this is that these lenses are NOT covered by medicare and the cost is completely out of pocket. I would gladly do it again since it has changed the quality of my life. Highly recommended!

Today it's been one month since the first eye surgery on 6/14/23. I had the second one done on 6/28/23.

I don't know if all surgeons do it this way but I've been on Rx eye drops since 3 days before each eye was done. This is a combination drop from a compounding pharmacy. It's a mix of an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory and a steroid. Four times a day before surgery to 1 week after surgery and then 3 times a day for the following 3 weeks. So I've finally finished the drops for eye #1 and will be continuing the drops in eye #2 for 2 more weeks. I've gotten pretty good at these things and outside of the slight sting that tells me I got it in, there has been no discomfort.

I have had no pain from either surgery. My vision is vastly improved. My right eye has a retinal issue so the new corrected distance vision is MUCH BETTER than I had. But I still have the wavy lines and distorted text. This is exactly what I expected.

The vision in my left eye is remarkable! I was always very nearsighted and I keep having surprises, like I can see my feet in the shower!! I can watch TV in the living room without glasses! I can drive without glasses! I keep finding places I thought I cleaned well, but didn't. Yippee, it's like a new toy!

But all has not been perfect. The 2 weeks between the surgeries was very difficult. I could only use one eye at a time and had no depth perception. I went nowhere and just carefully managed around the house. I didn't realize how stressful this was until I broke out in an awful itchy rash. At first I thought it was a reaction to laundry detergent as the rash was on my torso and arms. But it was also on my scalp and that didn't make sense. I am not a high strung, emotional, reactionary person. But this situation with my vision really affected me. Once I had my 2nd eye done the rash and itching cooled off and healing started.

As expected, I need reading glasses for anything closer than my wrist. I picked up drug store half glasses in a 2.00 diopter and this helps a lot. But I hate them. Even though they are half size they are taller than I need so I wear them low on my nose and I still have to look over the top. This works fine for a magazine or Kindle or my iPad. Then I have to take them off for anything else and I park them on my head or leave them on a side table. It's just annoying.

The worst part is in the kitchen where I need them for the countertops or stove, but not for seeing into the cupboards or refrigerator. Then when I sit down to eat they have to sit low on my nose so I can see my food clearly. Maybe most people don't care if their food is out of focus. But I have no sense of smell, a very limited sense of taste and I need my plate to be in focus! And then wearing them low on my nose makes my nose run and triggers bouts of sneezing. Yeah, while I'm trying to eat.

I know my eyes are still in the healing phase. I have an appointment the last week of July to get refraction done for glasses. I never expected to be glasses free and I'm looking forward to getting something I will wear full time. Maybe I can take them off to watch tv. I expect I will need minimal correction for distance and middle and around a 2.00 for reading.

Overall, this has been a positive experience, just some negative things to deal with along the way.

Sue J,
I'm not using combi drops. I just learned about those earlier today.

Started a few days before left eye IOL, and used all three for a week following surgery. Prednisolone continues...to reduce swelling.

Today I saw the surgeon for a 3-week followup, and she asked me to continue with prednisolone for one more week, as there is still minor swelling. That takes me out 4 weeks. 2nd eye is done 1 week after that.

Each day my near vision improves. When I wake up I do not wear my glasses. What is funny is me losing them all the time, leaving them here and there. In the past they lived on my nose for long periods.

My IOL is 8mm, and maybe 12mm with the haptics. CC60WF 15.5D is the magic number. We discussed why I am not a candidate for variable IOL, and it is due to the condition of my retina.

So, as some of us find out, the world is still not perfect. But the improvement is substantial, right?

Along with my cataract, I had lens to improve vision put in. All is well vision is good. I need reading glasses is all. However, I have noticed that the sun is so much brighter. It will blind me without sunglasses at times. That’s my only complaint

Along with my cataract, I had lens to improve vision put in. All is well vision is good. I need reading glasses is all. However, I have noticed that the sun is so much brighter. It will blind me without sunglasses at times. That’s my only complaint

They actually gave me some cool wrap around sun glasses to help with the "brighter" sun.:cool:

After my surgeries both eyes were very sensitive to bright light. And being up in the snow for 2 months didn't help. It has now settled down to where I only wear sunglasses when I'm outside for a while. Not really needed but wear them for comfort.
Now if only the floaters would go away.

DH just got Toric for both eyes as he has astigmatism. One eye corrected for near, one for distance. So far pretty happy, hasn't been long enough to really know about Halo effect. $2600 up charge for each eye, CA. I had both eyes done three and a half years ago. One eye corrected for distance, the other corrected for mid distance so I can do computer work, see my cell phone, etc but need to use readers for reading.
Just had a redo a couple weeks ago as I had what they call secondary cataracts, they described it as moss growing on the back of my implants. Had never heard of this before but and told it's very common. Very simple 5 minute procedure using lasers to correct, 100% covered by Medicare.

An update.

Yesterday I went for my post surgery refraction exam to get my first pair of glasses. The prescription is about what I expected , a slight correction for distance and 2.25 for reading. I have been using drug store readers with 2.00, so I was close.

After the exam I went to their optical department. I told the optician that I had original Medicare and a supplement and I was there for the post cataract surgery glasses. Show me what Medicare covers and I'll upgrade to what I need.

The optician told me they do not work with Medicare unless I have a vision plan or Medicare Advantage plan that includes vision. OK, I'll take my prescription elsewhere. I came home and called VisionWorks and LensCrafters, both are big national optical stores. Neither one can work with Medicare but one of them told me to try ophthalmology surgery centers. So I called one that I'm familiar with and yes, they do bill to Medicare.

I explained that I just got a new Rx and I could come right in. They told me that they are required to use an Rx from their own doctors. She said "It's the law" but I bet it's just Medicare rules. She told me that the refraction exam is at no charge and then I can go right to the optical department. Good enough. She had an opening with a doctor on Wed, July 26th so tomorrow I'll get this done.

It's bothersome that I have to do this again. Yesterday's exam was at no charge because it's part of the cataract surgery package.

Anyone else run into this? I assumed that the optical department at my original surgeon's office was included, but I think it's like a separate business in their building. Oh, well. It's just a few days delay. I'm anxious to get real glasses again so that I can get rid of these half glasses that I wear to see anything in the close range.

I'll be patient and follow the rules!

Last edited:
My vision plan is Zenni, meaning I won't go to a glasses store and pay exorbitant prices.

If they don't give me the PD when they refract at surgeon's, I'll use the PD I came up with and have been using for over 5 years at Zenni.

I've been on Medicare for one year, so I'm not well-informed. But I don't think lenses of any kind will be covered. You need an additional plan, I think. Hope I'm wrong.

My vision plan is Zenni, meaning I won't go to a glasses store and pay exorbitant prices.

If they don't give me the PD when they refract at surgeon's, I'll use the PD I came up with and have been using for over 5 years at Zenni.

I've been on Medicare for one year, so I'm not well-informed. But I don't think lenses of any kind will be covered. You need an additional plan, I think. Hope I'm wrong.

Original Medicare covers a pair of glasses after cataract surgery with intraocular implants. It’s just a matter if finding a provider.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/eyeglasses-contact-lenses

I would like to try Zenni or another online glasses site after this first pair. I’ve worn glasses full time since I was 7, I know what I like and don’t like. I know I like the reading portion to be very low. I know I want metal frames with nose pads. This whole process has been a major change for me, going from being extremely nearsighted to being far sighted and needing reading glasses.

Having access to a competent optician has been valuable for me. Yes, it’s all different now.

Last edited:
Sue J,
Thanks for the link. I did not know about the Medicare eyeglasses possibility. You're a great advocate!

My surgeon works for a group that has glasses available. I'm going to ask if they accept Medicare the next time I'm there. If not, I'll just go through Zenni. My frames and lenses have been under $100 in the past.

In my case it is an Ophthalmalogist/Surgeon who refracts.

In the past I've been to a store where an optician might get involved. But the convenience of mail order really fits my needs. I don't need much in the way of frames, just titanium that can stand up to my misuse of them.

If I can get a free pair (or almost free) I'll certainly take that.

I should have worn my glasses as a child, but did not. When I got to high school I started wearing them. I was near-sighted, and that will continue.

I had my refraction appt at the ophthalmologist's office yesterday. This is the one that has the optical department that is a Medicare provider.

I signed in as new patient and they asked me to pay the $40 payment for the refraction exam.

"No, this is supposed to be at no charge, I'm just here to get a prescription from your doctor that I can use at your optical department for post cataract surgery glasses." "

But you have to pay for that." Another staff person shook her head and said, "No, she's right. No charge for this."

I saw the tech and then the Doctor. He verified my prescription from Monday, tweaked it just a bit and I liked the results, so he finalized it. I asked about trifocals vs progressives. When I tried progressives it was over 25 years ago and it was for my old eyes, very nearsighted. He encouraged, but did not push me, to try them again. Such a different prescription and new technology. He was very patient, took plenty of time and answered all my questions. And he knew it was a no charge exam.

I went to the optical dept and sat with an optician. She knew the important stuff for using the Medicare post cataract surgery benefit. Medicare will pay $100 (I think that's what she said) toward frames, $150 for bifocals, $180 for trifocals or progressives. I brought my old glasses to show her the type of frames I'm looking for. She helped me try on 10-12 pairs and I narrowed it down to 3 that were close. I really liked the shape of one but the temples had a swirly scroll shape at the front. I thought maybe I could get past that but when I looked closely there were also sparkly things imbedded. No on that one. I decided on a nice simple pair, with a shape similar to my old ones. With my old prescription I always had to stay with small frames because my lenses were so thick. This pair is a similar shape and a little bigger.

I didn't look at prices on any of these, I'm getting what I want. It turns out that the frames I chose were under the Medicare allowance so they were covered in full. I'm fairly certain she said $100 for the Medicare frame allowance but since my frames were less than that it's not on my itemized receipt.

We talked for a long time about progressives vs trifocals and I decided on progressives. I've put so much time, effort and money into this adventure. I'd like to follow through and see the results. If I don't like them they can be remade as trifocals.

Choosing progressives added another $169 after the Medicare allowance of $180. I also added Transition lenses (darkens in the sun and I got the advanced ones that get a little dark in the car if it's sunny out) for $125.

Here's the itemized list-

Exam $ 40
Credit <$ 40>
Frames $ 86
Progressives $349
Transition $125
=============
Total $560

Billed to Medicare
Frames $ 86
Trifocal/progressives allowance $180
===================
Total billed to Medicare $266

So I paid $294.
$169 over the Medicare allowance of $180
$125 for Transitions.

I was hoping to get these in a week to 10 days but they told me it will be 2-3 weeks.

Patience.

Sometime in the future I may want to try one of the online optical places that are so much cheaper. But for now, my first pair, I'm fine with this.

Yesterday was 2nd surgery, and that went well. For the procedure she had to use a stitch in my right eye, unlike the left eye done previously.

The next morning we drive to another office for the post-op checkup. All is well.

We found out that the eyeglass center will work with medicare. I asked the surgeon if I could have my PD. She said she will discuss that with the optician. That appointment is going to be 2-3 weeks from now. It is getting close to our departure to Europe, so I may have to go with my old glasses for distance. I suppose I can get something Germany.

My surgery was delayed on Thursday from 11:30 to 12:15. Many who arrived earlier were delayed significantly, as the oxygen tank developed a leak, and that had to be replaced. Whoah!

Local weather topped 93 yesterday. It was really oppressive. We lost one AC unit, and are limping along with just lower level cooled. A motor is on order.

So sleeping last night on the couch, with a plastic lens patch was not the greatest evening ever. But I have very clear vision sitting hear at the computer, so I'm thankful.

Next to me in the pre-op area was a woman, who had cardiac clearance, but the anesthetist found arrhythmia. Poor lady was told an ambulance was on the way, and which hospital did she prefer? She was also one of the early arrivers, and at that point was waiting 5 hours.

I'm glad it went well for you! After my second surgery I was just so relieved that I got through it.

I'm now 4 weeks past my 2nd surgery so I am done with all the follow up appts and the eye drops. I have not had dry eyes like some have post surgery. Now I just have to wait for my glasses to be ready.

That's great that your eyeglass center works with Medicare. When I saw the optician she gave me my pupil distance, no problem.

I had dry eyes before these IOL procedures, due to targeted therapy med.

I'm using Systane PF in the left, and of course have many drops throughout the day for the right, as it heals from recent IOL.

I also have TheraTears Extra thanks to dear wife.

In the past I've been neglectful about dry eyes, and need to stay up with over-the-counter drops, and not be so forgetful.

:cool:

I picked up my new glasses this morning. I think I will be happy with what I got, Progressive lenses with Transitions.

While I was there I clarified what Medicare allows toward the frames. It's $89, not $100, which is what I was unsure about in an earlier post.

Medicare post cataract surgery glasses benefit -
Frames $89
Bifocals $150
Trifocals or Progressives $180

Here's a pic of my old glasses on the top and my new glasses on the bottom. I was so nearsighted (-12.75) before the cataract surgery and implants. Now I need just a little correction for distance and a little help for reading. What an improvement!

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 12
I picked up my new glasses this morning. I think I will be happy with what I got, Progressive lenses with Transitions.

While I was there I clarified what Medicare allows toward the frames. It's $89, not $100, which is what I was unsure about in an earlier post.

Medicare post cataract surgery glasses benefit -
Frames $89
Bifocals $150
Trifocals or Progressives $180

Here's a pic of my old glasses on the top and my new glasses on the bottom. I was so nearsighted (-12.75) before the cataract surgery and implants. Now I need just a little correction for distance and a little help for reading. What an improvement!

Yeah, and those thick lenses for near-sightedness make you feel like your 9 feet tall when you put them on. It's disorienting. Congrats on your successful surgery and new glasses/prescription.

I had worn the thick lenses for so long that it was normal for me. But when I got the implants I felt short! My countertops and stove felt too close. Sitting at the table I felt like I needed a booster seat!

I’m doing a lot of adjusting and adapting. I’ve learned to be flexible and accept change.

Just catching up on this thread. I saw my vitrectomy surgeon in June and he recommended seeing another that specialized in cataract surgery. In the meantime my vision changed dramatically post-surgery by about 2 diopters. I ordered a pair of Zenni glasses to get by until I saw the cataract Dr. Even with the new glasses, that eye was only correctible to 20-40.

I saw him yesterday. I am now scheduled for cataract surgery in early October. Due to the Macular hole issue, I was not a candidate for the progressive lens implant. I chose the standard lens that is covered by Medicare but also opted for laser astigmatism correction at $1200 out of pocket. Neither the laser correction nor an astigmatism corrected lens implant are not covered by M/C because glasses can correct the astigmatism.

He also said the other eye also has cataracts and I may need that done but doesn't recommend it just yet. I asked if it was bad enough to be covered by M/C. He said yes but even if it wasn't bad enough by the standard, I would be covered due to the cause of the cataract in the 1st eye. According to him when one eye was getting cataract surgery post-vitrectomy, some people's brains can not handle the large difference between the now-clear side and the other slightly-cataract side. In these cases, the second eye is covered regardless of how bad it may be based on itself. I never had a problem with that eye. I will wait and see how the 1st one works out before deciding what to do in the 2nd.

Got refracted last Friday, and picked out glasses. Had a tiny stitch removed too.

Optician measured, and measured, and measured.

The glasses I settled on were variable with titanium frames. Cost was $240, Medicare allowance was $200. I didn't go for coating or insurance since it was another $200. Out of pocket it cost $240.

I'll order a pair from Zenni, too. I need something for the sun, so I'll explore their options.

Attachments

• Eye Glasses.jpg
    Eye Glasses.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 40
Got refracted last Friday, and picked out glasses. Had a tiny stitch removed too.

Optician measured, and measured, and measured.

The glasses I settled on were variable with titanium frames. Cost was $240, Medicare allowance was $200. I didn't go for coating or insurance since it was another $200. Out of pocket it cost $240.

I'll order a pair from Zenni, too. I need something for the sun, so I'll explore their options.

Good luck with your new glasses!

I tried really hard to love my new progressive lenses and after a week I went back to the optician and asked to have them remade as trifocals. I wore the glasses full time and realized I had so much LESS usable vision than I had without any glasses. The distance correction was great, the reading correction was good, but in between was difficult to use and I felt like the compromise was much more than the benefit. Also, the Transition version that I chose included some darkening in the car, which sounds like a great idea. But I’m not in my car that much, I’m in my house. If I’m in a room and there’s daylight outside, my glasses provide some light shading. But I don’t need that indoors! So my remade trifocals will have the normal Transitions which shade in direct sunlight.

These were choices that I made when I ordered. I really wanted to try the progressive lenses because the last time I tried them was about 25 years ago. But I feel like I have side blinders on as the center is where the best vision is. And the Transitions that work in the car sounded like a nice benefit, until I used them in the house.

I hope the new lenses come in soon. I’m still wearing the progressives, but I’m ready to move past this stage and get on with just enjoying my new cataract free vision. I still giggle in the shower when I realize I can see my toes! I could never do that before.

Last edited:
Today had cataract surgery on left eye. So far, so good, in and out of surgery center in about an hour. Tomorrow, get right eye done as long as left eye doesn't have swelling.

Chose the combo drops, 1 bottle per eye, $60 each as they suggested this over the 3 bottle regimen.

4 hours in the visual fog is starting to lessen.

DW is scheduled for 2nd week in November to have her eyes done.

Ah, the joys of aging.

Had problems with the new glasses after wearing for a few weeks. I switched back to old glasses while travelling, and went for a new refraction. Turns out the post-surgery refracton was not strong enough and corrected L/R in different ways. So I ordered Zanni for about $100, and will try a bi-focal. They come with magnetic shades, unlike the very-expensive eye-blass store glasses. Lol.

Returned to the original eye glass store, and they insisted the glasses were made correctly. Also, since I'm out of the 30-day period they won't remake, and I need to get another refraction.

It's interesting, to say the least. I visited a hospital clinic and had a long discussion with their optician. What we've come up with is that the tech who did the original refraction did not really go far enough in the exam. IOW, they dod not spend enough time on the refraction.

Bright light is very disturbing.

Had problems with the new glasses after wearing for a few weeks. I switched back to old glasses while travelling, and went for a new refraction. Turns out the post-surgery refracton was not strong enough and corrected L/R in different ways. So I ordered Zanni for about $100, and will try a bi-focal. They come with magnetic shades, unlike the very-expensive eye-blass store glasses. Lol.

Returned to the original eye glass store, and they insisted the glasses were made correctly. Also, since I'm out of the 30-day period they won't remake, and I need to get another refraction.

It's interesting, to say the least. I visited a hospital clinic and had a long discussion with their optician. What we've come up with is that the tech who did the original refraction did not really go far enough in the exam. IOW, they dod not spend enough time on the refraction.

Bright light is very disturbing.

The bright light issue often gets better over time.

I wonder why you need glasses since the implant technology should get you very close to 20:20 these days. Yes, reading glasses, but not sure why distance vision unless something else is going on. YMMV of course and I'm no doctor.

Back
Top Bottom