The Summer of 2023 - Freedom from Cataracts

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The Summer of 2023 - Freedom from Cataracts

The yellow view accelerated a lot this year. So, I stepped into the merry healthcare world of the eye surgeon. She happens to be my ophthalmologist too. We hit it off very well a few years ago, and she is a product of the residency program of the hospital where my spouse worked for 35 years. So we are alll familiar with each other through the years.

June 21 was my 1st surgery day, so I am days in the adjustment phase. We saw her yesterday morning, and I received a lot of praise for how well this went, and looking forward to the other eye for cataract removal in 4 weeks.

Oncologist instruction was to stop the nasty erdafitinib for 5 days before, and 5 after. That added to my celebratory stance, too.

Things that surprised me:
- The surgery center is well-run, and once I hit prep the people became very friendly and attentive. I felt like a VIP!
- I'm super dilated for a week. Until that wears off it is a confusing world.
- In my improved right eye it is as if someone reduced the color temperature of a computer monitor. It's a bluish world on the left, and yellowish one on the right.
- The IOL is just 8 mm in effective area, and 12 mm in the entirety.
- I completely lost my appetite in the days leading up to the procedure.
- How many drops I am getting in that eye daily. It is annoying, but necessary.
- I have not inspected that eye yet.
- Things feel pretty normal. As the Iris normalizes, maybe that will change.

For now, :popcorn:

Have a great weekend!

I'm 79 3/4 and have not experienced a cataract yet. :cool:

Some of my friends have gone through this with theirs. Hopefully, you will come out with great, clear eyesight after the procedures.

I'm 79 3/4 and have not experienced a cataract yet. :cool:

Some of my friends have gone through this with theirs. Hopefully, you will come out with great, clear eyesight after the procedures.

Be certain you and your doctor are on the same page regarding what vision you expect with your lens implants. Basically, you can have good near vision or good distance vision. Your eyes will not just much so you have to choose before hand. My suggestion: Do not let them talk you into one distance, one close-up. If you do, you'll likely need glasses for both distance and close-up instead of just one of these. Obviously, YMMV.

I’m almost 60 and scheduled for surgery in August. Still not 100% decided on lens. Mostly likely Toric but haven’t ruled out multi focal.

Thanks, aja8888. My cataracts were expected due to genetics. But what has happened in the last couple of years is that targeted therapy for cancer accelerated the growth of cataracts. I go to the eye doctor 3x's a year for eye scans, as that is required by the oncologist. So we've talked about the affect on my eyesight for quite a while.

Koolau, I decided on near vision. Since I need to have both eyes done, the eyes will match to some degree. They have never been the same, so I'm expecting an improvement over that.

JBTX, my spouse is a research tech, and I've listened to the finer points for many years. I think what you've brought up is the issue of corrective lenses. I have another cataract procedure in 30 days, and will wait. Fortunately I don't have to drive, as spouse is fine with that. I do want to have a good solution by mid-August, so I can enjoy a trip.

Thank you all for responding.

Target, thanks for your report. I had eye surgery a couple of months ago for a Macular hole. According to what I have learned, cataracts usually occur shortly afterwards. I go to the ophthalmologist/surgeon this week to check up my progress. Certainly, my acuity is way off in that eye now. I also see a rainbow ring around bright lights at night. I suspect I will need cataract surgery soon. Your post is timely for me.

Oh, my! I’m going through the same thing right now. Had right eye done 6/14 and left eye will be done in a few days, on 6/28.

So I am in that very awkward phase. I have always been very nearsighted. Additionally, I have a lamellar hole in the retina of the right eye. They told me it’s not really a hole, more like a pucker or a wrinkle in the retina. That makes lines wavy and like looking through antique glass. Text in that eye looks like those Capcha things we deal with on a web page to prove you are not a robot. I wanted multifocal lenses in both eyes but they can’t do that when you have a lamellar hole. So in the right eye I got a distance lens. I also needed a Limbal Relaxing Incision to treat astigmatism.

Since the first implant I took out the right lens in my glasses and have been using one eye at a time. I can’t use both eyes at the same time because of the size difference. So I have no depth perception. Very unnerving but I am getting through it.

In a few days I’ll have the left eye done and I hope the multifocal works well as I can’t read with the right eye distance lens. The Dr. said to expect to wear reading glasses when this is all healed. I’m fine with that.

I’ve been doing the eye drops regimen and it’s been easier than I expected. I’ve had no pain and minimal discomfort in the operated eye.

DH had his cataracts done in April and May. He is thrilled with his results. But his situation was very different than mine. He got multifocal implants in both eyes.

Last edited:
Be certain you and your doctor are on the same page regarding what vision you expect with your lens implants. Basically, you can have good near vision or good distance vision. Your eyes will not just much so you have to choose before hand. My suggestion: Do not let them talk you into one distance, one close-up. If you do, you'll likely need glasses for both distance and close-up instead of just one of these. Obviously, YMMV.

Maybe you didn't read my post? I havbe NO trace of cataracts at age 79, therefore, no surgery on the immediate horizon.:)

Maybe you didn't read my post? I havbe NO trace of cataracts at age 79, therefore, no surgery on the immediate horizon.:)

So sorry (and happy for your great eye health - my cataracts came on in my early 50s!)

I think I was trying to tell everyone I could tell here to carefully consider their lens options. I apparently "grabbed" your post instead of starting a new post.

Again, sorry for the improper implication!:flowers:

CRLLS,
How do you feel now? I had to look up "macular hole." https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-macular-hole

Sue J,
Good to hear about DH's success. Healing and adaptation will take some time for the procedures you've had. BTW, I have a small pucker, and don't see any wavy lines.

I hope all of our problems can be solved.

I am just now getting to the point where I might need cataract surgery and the opthamologist told me that medicare pays for the basic procedure and lens, but for an extra thousand dollars an eye I can get upgraded to a lens where I should never need glasses again. does anyone know the difference between the lenses? If this is taking away from the basic post, I am sorry. thanks

I had cataract surgery in February. When I removed that first patch, it was like the best Christmas morning. Everything is bright and super clear. The colors and detail are quite amazing. But all is not perfect. I have dry eye as a result. Daily drops of Refresh gel and ointment when needed. There were times while sleeping it felt like a twig was in my eye. Apparently, that is normal with dry eye. It's worth it. I only need reading glasses if the light is too dim.

My last trip to the eye doctor he said I need to start thinking about cataract surgery and not to wait to long. At this appoint they also reduced my left eye contact prescription from 5.00 to 4.00.

They have have been mentioning cataracts, for 6 years, but always said you're not ready yet. So the latest was a little different.
For the last two months I have been hobby working on an electronics circuit
for my son's work. I find I need lots of light when I'm working on circuits. More and more as time has progressed. Yesterday I made a solder connection to a connector. I tested the circuit, and the signal was not as expected. So, I just did it differently. Then decided to remove my original connector, Oops, I missed the pin when I soldered it. So I redid it, retested it and still not a good signal. So, back to removing it, arrgh, missed the pin even on a second try!!! Admittedly, it was in a tough position and I could not get close enough with my magnification, but this experience has me thinking. It may be time.

P.S. The circuit works beautifully, my first Tube circuit, tube was used because we are working with 12kV. Produces 8kV pulses from 4Hz to 50Hz, so far, as tested.

Last edited:
Has anybody heard anything about light adjustable lenses? Supposedly adjustments are made after surgery with UV light after the eye heals, so that you end up with much closer to 20/20. It isn’t a multi focal lense so I’m not sure how it allows for different distances unless that is part of the UV light customization process.

I’m heavily leaning to postponing the surgery in August and trying to learn more about my options. I’m not at a critical state yet and still have questions and concerns.

Has anybody heard anything about light adjustable lenses? Supposedly adjustments are made after surgery with UV light after the eye heals, so that you end up with much closer to 20/20. It isn’t a multi focal lense so I’m not sure how it allows for different distances unless that is part of the UV light customization process.

I’m heavily leaning to postponing the surgery in August and trying to learn more about my options. I’m not at a critical state yet and still have questions and concerns.

I can't say I know much about it, but my neighbor had lenses installed and had to where UV protector glasses and go back to have UV adjustments to
his lenses. I didn't understand it all, but he went from thick glasses and still not being able to read street signs to not having to wear glasses at all. It was rather miraculous to me! Now that I think about it, I don't believe he had a cataract problem, he had a lense problem, he was only 50.
Here's info about it,

https://www.rxsight.com/us

https://www.clevelandeyeclinic.com/cataracts-ohio/the-light-adjustable-lens-lal/

I can't say I know much about it, but my neighbor had lenses installed and had to where UV protector glasses and go back to have UV adjustments to
his lenses. I didn't understand it all, but he went from thick glasses and still not being able to read street signs to not having to wear glasses at all. It was rather miraculous to me! Now that I think about it, I don't believe he had a cataract problem, he had a lense problem, he was only 50.
Here's info about it,

https://www.rxsight.com/us

https://www.clevelandeyeclinic.com/cataracts-ohio/the-light-adjustable-lens-lal/
That is amazing. You wear UV protective glasses so that US does not alter the lens. Then after you are healed, back to the office for directed UV light, and the lens reshapes.

Maybe keep searching? https://www.reddit.com/r/Ophthalmology/comments/ptv201/light_adjustable_lens/

That is amazing. You wear UV protective glasses so that US does not alter the lens. Then after you are healed, back to the office for directed UV light, and the lens reshapes.

Maybe keep searching? https://www.reddit.com/r/Ophthalmology/comments/ptv201/light_adjustable_lens/
Basically as I read it, it is a monofocal lens, but it can be adjusted with a UV laser after it heals after your initial surgery. You are supposed to wear UV glasses outside so it doesn’t affect the vision adjustment until all adjustments are completed. It is not multi focal but you do get a broader range of vision than a monofocal but no haloing like multifocals. You still may need reading glasses for reading but might be able to read a pill bottle. There will be several adjustments so the process can take many weeks. They have to dilate your eyes each time to make the adjustments.

The only downside I can see is more doctor visits and a longer transition period, and potentially higher price.

https://www.reviewofophthalmology.com/article/light-adjustable-lens-practice-integration

I am just now getting to the point where I might need cataract surgery and the opthamologist told me that medicare pays for the basic procedure and lens, but for an extra thousand dollars an eye I can get upgraded to a lens where I should never need glasses again. does anyone know the difference between the lenses? If this is taking away from the basic post, I am sorry. thanks
You have a basic monofocal lens, which only corrects for one distance and no astigmatism

You have a Toric lens, which is monofocal, but corrects for astigmatism.

You have a multifocals which corrects for 3 or more distances. You can get Toric multifocals for astigmatism. The multifocals can apparently result in some haloing due to the rings in the lens, which you may notice at night, but after a while the brain supposedly tunes it out.

CRLLS,
How do you feel now? I had to look up "macular hole." https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-macular-hole

Sue J,
Good to hear about DH's success. Healing and adaptation will take some time for the procedures you've had. BTW, I have a small pucker, and don't see any wavy lines.

I hope all of our problems can be solved.

I'm feeling Okay. Of course I never "felt" anything other. My vision in that eye is not good and seems to get worse as the day moves on. I don't know if that is normal, if it due to cataracts or if something else is happening. I'll find out on Wednesday what my next step is.

IIRC, Katsmeow had an in-depth post in the last year about her experiences. Suggest doing a search but restricting it to User Katsmeow.

I'm feeling Okay. Of course I never "felt" anything other. My vision in that eye is not good and seems to get worse as the day moves on. I don't know if that is normal, if it due to cataracts or if something else is happening. I'll find out on Wednesday what my next step is.
Just another day, and after discussing things and getting examined, you'll know more.

I'm 4 days past surgery, and the vision seems to improve a bit each day. Today I notice that with glasses off I can read this computer screen from 18-inch distance.
:cool:

My sister just had this done. Medicare paid for the Cataract surgery, but she had to pay $5k (for both eyes) of her own money for lens implants.

Now she doesn't need contacts or glasses anymore.

I had my 2nd eye done yesterday and a followup appt today. It all went very well. I'm just so glad that it's OVER!

I have another followup appt next Wednesday (1 week after surgery) and then 3 weeks after that I have an appointment for an exam so that I can get a prescription for glasses.

So far I am seeing quite well with the new eyes. I'm able to use my desktop computer and keyboard! But I know I will need some adjustments for reading and anything else close up. I plan on getting a pair of glasses with whatever prescription, if any, that I need on top and then the correction for up close on the bottom. And I will get Transition (gets dark in the sun) because that's what I've had most of my life and I like it.

Right now, while I'm healing I'm going without glasses around the house and using drug store reading half glasses for the kitchen counter and eating at the table. With my iPad I'm just using a magnifying glass. I'm finding the on/off/on/off where did I leave them process very annoying and clumsy. I'm willing to have glasses full time or most of the time when all this is concluded.

Overall this has been a difficult couple of weeks for me. The surgery part was painless and just something to get through. The two weeks between the surgeries was very stressful because I had one eye very nearsighted and one eye newly corrected for distance. But I made it through to the light at the end of the tunnel and so far I am very pleased with the results and I know I still have a lot of healing left.

Someone else mentioned the cost. Medicare covers the surgery, anesthesia, basic lens implants, follow up appts and I think basic glasses. At our eye clinic the cost of an upgraded multifocal lens is $2,799.00 per eye. DH got 2 of these in April and May. He is thrilled with his results and does not need any correction. Total for DH - $5,598.00

I got a basic lens in one eye due to the lamellar hole issue but I also needed a Limbal Relaxing Incision (LRI) for astigmatism which cost $999.00. Then in my other eye I got a toric multifocal lens for $2,799.00. Total for me - $3,798.00.

So it's been a very expensive couple of months. Of all the things to spend money on this is one of the best. They had financing plans available but we paid cash. Actually, we used a 2% rewards credit card and pay it in full when billed.

I hope everyone else going through this process is doing well and enjoying their results.

Last edited:
That's great to hear, Sue. So you have four eyes in the house all getting/got updates.

To be honest, I have not heard anything about costs yet. I'll post what happens when the time comes.

Today is my 8th day. The only drop I'm still taking is the prednisone. That is in left eye only.

I'm still wearing my variable lenses. The world is a bit unuusal. But I'll soldier on until July 27th. I can remove the glasses, tilt my head, or whatever it takes.

My perception has adjusted with regard to color. I've gotten used to the blue-white view on left, and yellowish tint from the right.

Visible haze from smoke and rising PM 2.5 are a side issue.

Back
Top Bottom