These Are the World's Healthiest Nations

Lots of posts saying being overweight is killing Americans, but this claims people overweight in their 70s and drinking moderately live longer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robins...weight-in-their-70s-live-longer/#5526bf19695c

Here's what in the article:
  • People who drank moderate amounts of alcohol or coffee lived longer than those who abstained.
  • People who were overweight in their 70s lived longer than normal or underweight people did.

1st item, checked.

2nd item, marked for reference as I am not yet 70. I will remember to eat more bacon when that time comes.

But, but, but, does this mean once you are past 70, it's time to go on a diet again? I guess I will have to learn to drink wine with tofu instead of with steak once I get to 80.

Here's what in the article:

1st item, checked.

2nd item, marked for reference as I am not yet 70. I will remember to eat more bacon when that time comes.

But, but, but, does this mean once you are past 70, it's time to go on a diet again? I guess I will have to learn to drink wine with tofu instead of with steak once I get to 80.

No. I think it means that if you make it to your 70s you can maybe let up on the dieting.

I live on the border between France (#12) and Switzerland (#5).

In many respects, the diet here would be considered terrible by many. We eat a lot of bread, dairies (cheese, butter, cream), and meat. And we eat dessert with nearly every meal. The only positives is that we eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and relatively low amounts of added sugar (desserts can be a fruit or some yogurt). Also portions are smaller and there is some social pressure to limit one's intake (people will comment on the amount of food that one eats like "holy cow, how can you eat all of that! It can't be good for you"). For better or for worse, fat shaming is a thing.

In terms of exercise, this is not a gym rat culture. People get their exercise when they have some free time (mostly on the weekend), by hiking, skiing, walking, etc... in nature. But somehow people are pretty trim.

Finally, people tend to go to the doctor very quickly when they notice a health issue.

I prefer to give some significant credence to Jeanne Calment. What her story tells me is that no matter how you live your life, you just never know.

Here she is on her 120th birthday, with a glass of wine:
View attachment 30920

Of course, I freely admit that eating right and exercising regularly makes me feel better, so that's the other side of the coin.
J. Clement was of the French upper class. She had servants, never worked and lived a leisure, stress free life. Her birth certificate was not verified, but from family and friends verified her longevity. I read about her years ago and I remember she lived a life of leisure. Wikipedia verified.

I live on the border between France (#12) and Switzerland (#5).

In many respects, the diet here would be considered terrible by many. We eat a lot of bread, dairies (cheese, butter, cream), and meat. And we eat dessert with nearly every meal. The only positives is that we eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and relatively low amounts of added sugar (desserts can be a fruit or some yogurt). Also portions are smaller and there is some social pressure to limit one's intake (people will comment on the amount of food that one eats like "holy cow, how can you eat all of that! It can't be good for you"). For better or for worse, fat shaming is a thing.

In terms of exercise, this is not a gym rat culture. People get their exercise when they have some free time (mostly on the weekend), by hiking, skiing, walking, etc... in nature. But somehow people are pretty trim.

Finally, people tend to go to the doctor very quickly when they notice a health issue.
This is also the Italian lifestyle and diet. The elderly in the mountains, walk, grocery shop and carry the groceries. Do not go to gyms and live into 90's. My DBI, DSI, neice and nephew are Italian and live there. We visit often. City life is stressful but most have weekend homes/apartments in the mountains or by the sea. Leisure time is very important. DSI had the month of August off work(she retired at 58 with a pension) 2-3 weeks during Christmas and Holidays were plentiful. That is changing. They did not worry about HC, but did pay high taxes. They feel it's a fair exchange.

Not surprising given the amount of fast food, fried food, and processessed food that gets consumed.

The USA is a fast food/ processed food nation that is slowly killing our population. Obesity comes to mind. It's all about personal choices on how we want to live our lives.

Violence, overdose, suicide, and car accidents contribute. Correct for these and our health is not that bad compared to other countries.

Well done, Spain!

Thanks! I am from Spain and live in the US. My 2 cents:
What is called "Mediterranean diet" to me is just eating normal food daily. A salad, grilled meat or fish, legumes, a bit of bread, an orange for dessert... you know the drill. Seasonal and regional food. Pizza, chips, and soda are the exception. One's birthday or around the holidays (one day, not three weeks), holiday food also being seasonally produced and varied.
Going to the doctor when one is ill is not a decision bound to insurance rules but to health.
That said, things are changing in Spain, so I do not trust the statistic, though it is somewhat telling. Longest life expectancy has been in Spain for many, many years. Dying at 90+ is somewhat normal for women. The huge problem is nativity.

While it's true that obesity is a problem in this country and getting much worse, some regions appear to have a healthier population than average, such as Southern California and South East Florida. South East Florida is pretty impressive in terms of a fit and healthy population. There are many cities throughout this country where this is also the case. The problem here is that society is normalizing being overweight or obese. This is dangerous. Many healthcare workers are overweight to obese which is not helping either.

As for Switzerland, we live there a few months of the year. Obesity is not common but I have started to observe more and more overweight people as McDonald's and other fast food restaurants have gained a strong foothold in Switzerland. But in general people are very fit. My wife and her long time friends in Switzerland are all fit and slim. They really look good and much better than many women here that are half their age or less. It has more to do with portion control than what they eat. They eat bread, fatty cheese, cured meats, chocolate, and drink wine, beer, and spirits but all in moderation. Having been to many doctors and hospitals with my in-laws for their healthcare needs over the past two decades, I would say that good hospitals such as Cedars Sinai or UCLA Medical Center are far better than what I have observed in Switzerland. I will say that health care workers are in better shape in Switzerland than what I have observed here and much more professional.

The number 35 ranking may not be great, but this is a large country and there are regions where health and wellness will rival the top countries.

A thoughtful assessment. Most surveys are indeed intended to manipulate and control opinion, not represent it.

My initial take is that the profound inefficiency of our heavily subsidized, regulated, and controlled system provides less than half the bang for more than twice the buck.

But I prefer your response, though I suspect both are true.

Here's my take: The US has the best health system in the world - if there's something wrong with you. It's not so great when it comes to promoting good lifestyle. If we are willing to take responsibility for our own life style and not complain too much when we come up #35 or whatever in some article, it's still a pretty good life after all.

Just an example. I have a w*rk friend (not close) who came "this close" to dying in a "freak" sky-diving accident - 800+ perfect jumps before this. As soon as he recovered (over 6 months) he went sky diving. My point. In the US, we choose our life style - dangerous or not. It's not chosen for us (for the most part) by economics, tradition, government decree, insurance company edicts or even our culture.

In the "best" outcomes countries, some of the freedom is taken out of the equation (even if it's only economic opportunity - who sky dives without making a pretty decent salary, for instance?)

If I'm making a point, it's this: Using this "ranking" to indict the US HC system probably is not the best approach to improving the system. As always, differing opinions are respected since YMMV.

... I have a w*rk friend (not close) who came "this close" to dying in a "freak" sky-diving accident - 800+ perfect jumps before this. As soon as he recovered (over 6 months) he went sky diving...

I do not know about European countries, but in third-world countries people are very careful of activities that can hurt or maim them. When a broken bone that is not mended can mean death or misery the rest of your life, you do not take risks unless it is absolutely necessary. Else, you become just another proof of Darwinism.

I do not know about European countries, but in third-world countries people are very careful of activities that can hurt or maim them. When a broken bone that is not mended can mean death or misery the rest of your life, you do not take risks unless it is absolutely necessary. Else, you become just another proof of Darwinism.

My point exactly. We Americans "know" that should we survive the cause of the broken bone, it WILL be fixed - even if we are "poor." So, we are less risk averse and count more on fixing problems than preventing them. Thus, we end up #35 when, in actuality, we have a very good system for "fixing" stuff. Not an endorsement so much as a recognition of "our" reality. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom