TMJ

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anybody ever been diagnosed with Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ). I had a bike accident and hit my face. A week later my jaw started clicking and it was somewhat painful to eat. It has been going on for about three weeks now but it has subsided somewhat. I heard it was just something that has to run its course. I was going to go to the doctor but like I said it feels like it is starting to get better.

I have never had TMJ, but I understand that it can be a pretty awful. If something like that happened to me, I would go to a doctor to find out what I was dealing with, and then I would follow his recommendations.

I was born with slightly crooked facial bone structure. It is not too terribly visible, but years ago my dentist said that I have TMJ.

The only issue is that I can not open my jaw too wide. As I age, the problem gets worse. I have no pain and no other issue. My dentist simply said do not open or drop my jaw as much as possible.

Each time when I visit my dental hygienist, I would tell her that I can not open my month wide. She would be fine with it, and just try to utilize the little room that I do have and try her best.

It was extremely painful when I had to get an implant at the back of my month. But my dentist just took more breaks in between.

I do not know any other type of TMJ issues.

I have always had very loud clicking in my jaw when eating or opening my mouth for the dentist. In my late 30s I was under tremendous stress for a few months. Then I had some dental work done. I woke up one morning and literally could not open my mouth and my jaw felt like someone had socked me big time.

After 9 months of suffering and losing over 25lbs because I literally could not chew anything I went to a dentist who specialized in TMJ. Come to find out I clenched my jaw so much and so hard during the high stress time that I dislocated one side. It took another year of treatment to get me where I had no pain.

My jaw will never be the same. The prolonged time it was displaced stretched the tendons. I don't chew gum and I don't have a lot of dental work done in one sitting. I try very hard not to clench my jaw and I know if I have been because it will ache.

I would say find a dentist who specialized in TMJ. There are things that can be done to keep your jaw from getting worse. My regular dentist was of no help and actually made the problem worse with his "cure". I also tried acupuncture. That just threw my jaw into spasms. It was my chiropractor who suggested I try the TMJ dentist. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't sleep the pain got so bad at night.

I had mild TMJ a few years ago and the chiropractor just had me massage my jaw the inside of my mouth a few times a day and that seemed to calm things down. I'm glad I didn't experience it at the level that all of you have.

have been told I have tmj, but it's never really bothered me. 3-4 times a yr I'll get what always felt like an earache; now know it to be pain from tmj.
one good (?) thing about it; got my plates from a dental school. they had to immediately reline the lowers cuz there was a gap initially. result - lost the natural overbite. but with tmj, I can move my jaw front/back to line 'em up right

Yeah, have had TMJ since high school (20 years now). Not sure if it was stress induced, or having braces, but I clench and grind my teeth when stressed. I've never had any imaging to see how bad the disc in my joint is, but wearing a bite guard helps with the clenching, and massage from my chiropractor keeps the popping and tightness from getting too bad.
When I open my mouth my jaw moves to the side and then eventually gets to a point where it'll pop. Can't eat really chewy foods (even chewy bread) as it'll tire out my jaw and give me a headache.

I wouldn't say you've got TMJ, You probably damaged your jaw joint, and need to give it some rest. You could go in to make sure it's not dislocated.

Back
Top Bottom