Torn Hamstring

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of suffering a torn hamstring? If so, please explain the length and challenges of the recovery process.

Thanks.

Are you certain it is torn (MRI) or just a bad pull? Hammies can get pretty badly buised (black and blue) and not have a significant tear.

I always used the RICE approach when ever I pulled a hamstring.

Pulled hamstring - not torn off rear end. It was a horrible pull though. The entire back of my thigh was bloody and the hamstring hung there for months before it went back to normal. It was kind of disgusting. I was off work for the first month on crutches.

I have a physical job so it was easy to build back up the muscle but it did take quite a few months before I was able to carry weight and step up with that leg with no support.

Waterskiing at 40 for the inquiring minds.

Are you certain it is torn (MRI) or just a bad pull? Hammies can get pretty badly buised (black and blue) and not have a significant tear.

I always used the RICE approach when ever I pulled a hamstring.

You're right. I think it's just badly pulled, but dr. said torn without the benefit of an MRI. I can walk short time periods with crouches. There was significant bruising behind the knee. Already doing RICE. What kind of recover time did you go through?

Pulled hamstring - not torn off rear end. It was a horrible pull though. The entire back of my thigh was bloody and the hamstring hung there for months before it went back to normal. It was kind of disgusting. I was off work for the first month on crutches.

I have a physical job so it was easy to build back up the muscle but it did take quite a few months before I was able to carry weight and step up with that leg with no support.

Waterskiing at 40 for the inquiring minds.

Thanks Tinlizzy.

Its just been two weeks for me and I'm already going crazy!

I've only had one decent hamstring pull.....had to walk with very short steps for a week or two. Then.......months before it was good enough to move decently. Felt it for most of a year before it was well again......still think that leg is stiffer than the other even after 8 years or so. It's usually a lengthy recovery even if you do everything right.

I've only had one decent hamstring pull.....had to walk with very short steps for a week or two. Then.......months before it was good enough to move decently. Felt it for most of a year before it was well again......still think that leg is stiffer than the other even after 8 years or so. It's usually a lengthy recovery even if you do everything right.

Three weeks post pull. Walking more and doing some ortho exercises. Still sort of tight and sore, but at least I'm off of the crutches. Making progress, but it's slow.

Thanks for your insight.:)

You're right. I think it's just badly pulled, but dr. said torn without the benefit of an MRI. I can walk short time periods with crouches. There was significant bruising behind the knee. Already doing RICE. What kind of recover time did you go through?
It took 2-3 weeks, and I also had some recurring pulls that took less time to recover from, and I didn't even have significant bruising. My pulls occured playing softball last year, so I learned to warm up a lot more and wear compression sleeves when playing.

Back
Top Bottom