Understanding Part D deductibles?

Murf2

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all, is there any simple way to compare what various companies deductibles apply to?
On the MediCare site all I can find is that it may vary by tier.

Is there any simple rule of thumb or do I have to find the info in every policy I am considering? The $505 deductible is nearly as much as my prescription cost, so I need to consider it.
Finally, when you have the MediCare site list from “lowest premium & drug cost”. Those numbers aren’t taking the deductible into account are they?

Thanks for your patience!
Murf

Finally, when you have the MediCare site list from “lowest premium & drug cost”. Those numbers aren’t taking the deductible into account are they?

Thanks for your patience!
Murf

I believe it does take the deductible into consideration. I use the Aetna
SilverScript Plus plan which doesn't have a deductible. When I compared it to other plans I could tell they included the deductible.

I believe it does take the deductible into consideration. I use the Aetna
SilverScript Plus plan which doesn't have a deductible. When I compared it to other plans I could tell they included the deductible.

Thanks for the quick reply Dash man. Comparing a few policies using my drug list. I’m not seeing any noticeable correlation in the total yearly expense and size of deductible. Of course, this could be because the deductible doesn’t apply to the tier levels of my medications.
I just wish it was more clear.

Thanks again!
Murf

Thanks for the quick reply Dash man. Comparing a few policies using my drug list. I’m not seeing any noticeable correlation in the total yearly expense and size of deductible. Of course, this could be because the deductible doesn’t apply to the tier levels of my medications.

Thanks again!
Murf

It is hard to decipher. I’m happy with my plan and the coverage of my 11 prescriptions. I only have to pay anything for two of them and those prices dropped significantly for 2023.

Thanks again!
Murf

I agree it's a bit confusing. As I understand it, some plans don't apply the deductible to some tiers. I learned this when picking up an expensive drug for my BIL.
He regularly takes a couple of drugs that cost him $3 and when I picked up his expensive new drug, he got to pay the deductible of $450 + $50 for the drug.
Next month it's supposed to cost him just the $50 as he met the deductible.

Back
Top Bottom