Urolift? Anyone had it?

What's the "green light" procedure? What happened with the original urolift. Many thanks.
I had the green light laser treatment in November 2019 after taking Tamsulosin and dealing with bph and elevated PSA for almost 10 years.

It took a few months to get back to normal but it's all good now. No more pills or getting up in the middle of the night. It doesn't take me 10 minutes to pee now and my PSA has returned to normal after being elevated for all those years.

Thanks Kannon-
Urologist visit went very well. He apologized for not immediately putting me on antibiotics a month ago. My urine was a mess (his words). Klebsiella Pneumonae is the culprit for my misery. Got a shot in the rear and 30 days of cephalexin. After I get this cleared up, then we can begin discussing my other issues; failure to void fully and frequent nighttime urination (likely the same issue). I go back in four weeks.

I was on Tamsulosin for over 10 years. Symptoms got worse over time. Then had a Urolift, did nothing to help. A year later had greenlight laser surgery. That helped tremendously. No more drugs. Great flow and less urgency. Surgery one day then catheter overnight. They removed catheter and was able to go with no problem. Not much pain either.

An update on my wonderful prostate: I have had four urine cultures, two of which I knew tested positive for Klebsiella and my antibiotic was chosen because it was effective against that organism. I am almost four weeks on that antibiotic and I still am not 100% (not bad, just not 100%). I went back to my original urine culture done through urgent care 2 months ago (checked results on Lab Corp's website)and another nasty boy was identified, Morganella. Now, I am wondering if this is why I have not responded completely to three courses of antibiotics. I head back to the urologist on Thursday and we will see. 10 weeks of a prostate infection is really wearing on me.

How happy I am to be 60 and not have a clue what you guys were talking about on this thread. Okay, I realize that folks here love their abbreviations and Acronyms but for the first time didn’t mind having to look it all up, Urolift, BPH, Turp etc.

How happy I am to be 60 and not have a clue what you guys were talking about on this thread. Okay, I realize that folks here love their abbreviations and Acronyms but for the first time didn’t mind having to look it all up, Urolift, BPH, Turp etc.

Give it time, give it time...your name's on the list..(maybe highlighted).;)

Dont taunt karma

Doctor appointment #5 was a winner! My urine is clean; no nitrates, blood, etc. (I wonder if the 20-something me ever dreamt I would be uttering those words?). Any symptoms I am experiencing are residual and the result of the 10 week infection (swelling). I go back in June to discuss the feasibility of laser or Eurolift. Man, this has been an ordeal!
However, if you recall this...https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...w-that-life-was-going-too-smoothly-97081.html

Two years removed from surgery and radiation, my wife had a scan today and is cancer-free! So, I guess I can deal with a wonky prostate :)

I initially Googled that one, and just repeated the process here...hope it's informative for you:

https://www.stjoes.ca/patients-visi...nlight-laser-therapy-web-version-6-pages-.pdf

So, I read through the pdf. On the very last page it says this.
[FONT=&quot]"During sexual activity, [/FONT]you will feel as if ejaculation is taking place, but fluid may not come out of your penis. The fluid goes into your bladder instead and will come out the next time you urinate."
First reference I've seen about this.

What percentage of green light surgeries cause retrograde ejaculation?

Ok, I found my own answer within this Q&A website. A lot of negative responses here, but as usual, problems get highlighted more than good results. But it seems RE is pretty common with Greenlight surgery.
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/green-light-laser-and-retrograde-ejaculation

you will feel as if ejaculation is taking place, but fluid may not come out of your penis. The fluid goes into your bladder instead and will come out the next time you urinate."
Using precise medical terminology, this is known as "Getting your own back".

Using precise medical terminology, this is known as "Getting your own back".

Well, to be precise, it never really left you, so how can you get it back!
How about, redirection to short term storage in an aqueous reservoir.

Well, to be precise, it never really left you, so how can you get it back!
How about, redirection to short term storage in an aqueous reservoir.

Touché. :)

I am 56, about 6 years ago I started taking 0.4 mg of tamsulosin and it helped a lot but over the past few months its effectiveness has declined. My urologist upped the dosage to 0.8 mg and a week later I had an ultrasound, uroflowmetry, cystoscopy, and was told I am eligible for the urolift. The tests revealed a 32 cc prostate, thickening of the bladder wall and I think he said my flow was 12 mL/sec. I am scheduled for surgery next week. However, with the increased tamsulosin I’m once again only waking up once or twice a night. Both the urgency and testicular pressure/pain has declined (but I now have retrograde 4 out of the last 6 times with the other two being very weak ejaculations).

I’m considering pushing off the surgery and just staying at the higher dose. I’m worried that when my prostate continues to grow post urolift that I might need something more invasive later that has more side effects. I know that eventually I will need a procedure just not sure if it should be now or if this is post-surgery jitters. Thoughts?

I just went thru the whole work-up the Summer of 2019. Urolift and Rezum both work best with smaller prostates. I think that's why some who've had them said the effects were disappointing and subsequently went for the TURP or the laser. How fast is you prostate growing? Well, nobody can say. It can grow slowly for 5 years or even 10, then go through a growth spurt, then level off etc etc.

I would think you'd be an infomercial-style case for Urolift now. Waiting is the coin toss.

Back
Top Bottom