Using Slim Fast to diet???

You can go to the website (slimfast.com) and see the ingredients. As I said before, there's very little in there that didn't come out of a test tube.

And that is what I got from looking at the Nutritional Data. A good Multi-vitamin and a big glass of water should duplicate these products... at a much lower cost.

(Didn't really care to look up the Ingredients.)

Orchid, one reason I like Weight Watchers is the emphasis on portion size control. They have a new program this January that takes into account the glycemic index values into their point system--it's easy to follow and works really well. If you give it a week (I think it's still free to sign up, and now you get everything you need the first week if you go to meeting--online is different) you might like it.

I think SlimFast is fine as an occasional meal replacement (better than skipping a meal) but it's really similar to those medical "liqui-fasts" that Oprah used way back (or should I say "weigh" back when, ha, ha) and we know how well that worked in the long run.

I try to remember to take Metamucil every AM, or drink a Boost. Either one fills my stomach for hours. :D
I've never tried SlimFast. I remember reading an article a while back about a lady who lived on the stuff and had some internal organ issues. I tried to google it, but found nothing.

I tried some a long time ago that had added fiber. I don't know if they still make the fiber added product or not, but I swear that stuff gave me IBS for quite a while. I won't touch the stuff.

Yeah...another friend the other day suggested Weight Watchers, too. Something to think about. I do know they make you eat sensibly...which means no treats.

I did join a beginners' hiking group to start doing hiking, too, plus, of course, I always hit the pool with the weights when it gets into the 74's here (outdoor pool in Az.). I sure missed it over the winter here....but more than that I miss a 10 foot pool like I had in Illinois. Here you get all those 4-1/2 feet pools...aaaaach!:rant:

When I was working I used to get so in the zone that I would forget to eat. By 2-3 in the afternoon, I would get really grumpy (as in pitty the poor person who walked into my office). I found that keeping a supply of slim fast and V8 in my desk drawer were just the ticket...quick to drink and I was good to go for the rest of the day. Never used either to lose weight, just for convenience.

Nowdays, I seldom find myself too busy to eat. So...weight control = portion control and exercise. Most days I'm really good about follow through, other days...not so much.

I try to remember to take Metamucil every AM

Back in the 90s, I did some consulting w*rk for P&G, and spent a couple of days in the Metamucil plant. I can at least confirm that it's safe to take.

Weight Watchers

DW has had great success with Weight Watchers, but you need your own internal motivation to make it work well.

Yeah...another friend the other day suggested Weight Watchers, too. Something to think about. I do know they make you eat sensibly...which means no treats.

You can still have treats, just count the points. All the time I did weight watchers I continued to have my wine and chocolate in an evening, but was careful to have a sensible size portion of each, which added up to 3 WW points (~150 calories). Instead of ice cream I used to make a shake using low fat frozen yogurt, frozen fruit and skimmed milk.

Over time as I lost weight I found my appetite reducing and I now eat a lot less, calorie wise, than I ever used to.

Well, if you still like to eat and you're in good physical condition, I saw this on either Nightline or ABC News last month or so. It's on the extreme side, developed by a NASA scientist, Ray Cronise. It's called the "cold diet" or "ice bath diet". They showed a guy doing 15 min ice baths and said he did this 3 or more times per week. Also took 15 min walks in freezing weather wearing just a t shirt, shorts, a knit cap, gloves, shoes and socks. Apparently, he studied Michael Phelps and his 20,000 calorie daily intake when training and the conclusion was the body spent more energy fighting the cold water more than just the exercise. Again, don't try this if you have any phyical issues or heart condition! Here's the link to the article, there's no video even though one shows up, it's for something else.

Weight Loss: NASA Scientist Ray Cronise Chills His Body to Burn Calories - ABC News

Well, if you still like to eat and you're in good physical condition, I saw this on either Nightline or ABC News last month or so. It's on the extreme side, developed by a NASA scientist, Ray Cronise. It's called the "cold diet" or "ice bath diet". They showed a guy doing 15 min ice baths and said he did this 3 or more times per week. Also took 15 min walks in freezing weather wearing just a t shirt, shorts, a knit cap, gloves, shoes and socks. Apparently, he studied Michael Phelps and his 20,000 calorie daily intake when training and the conclusion was the body spent more energy fighting the cold water more than just the exercise. Again, don't try this if you have any phyical issues or heart condition! Here's the link to the article, there's no video even though one shows up, it's for something else.

Weight Loss: NASA Scientist Ray Cronise Chills His Body to Burn Calories - ABC News

The summer of '75 in England was very hot (for England) and we were living in an attic bedsit (we were students). One day, to try and cool down, I ran a bath of cold water and climbed in. It scared the life out of me as my heart raced and pounded in my throat. I was aged 20 and very fit, a soccer player at college. I didn't do it again - for some reason it was far more impactive than a cold shower, which I reverted back to after that experience.

So, I strongly endorse the health warning above.

Even the guy that was doing the ice bath had to "warm" up to the full ice bath. He would go in for 5 minutes sitting, then would do the last 10 min up to his neck. I would think the 15 min walks wearing t shirts and shorts would be plenty to shock people.

Even the guy that was doing the ice bath had to "warm" up to the full ice bath. He would go in for 5 minutes sitting, then would do the last 10 min up to his neck. I would think the 15 min walks wearing t shirts and shorts would be plenty to shock people.

I think I could do the 15 min walk, and I can certainly see how that can increase the calorie burn quite dramatically.

I always hit the pool with the weights when it gets into the 74's here (outdoor pool in Az.). I sure missed it over the winter here....but more than that I miss a 10 foot pool like I had in Illinois. Here you get all those 4-1/2 feet pools...aaaaach!:rant:

The Y probably has large pools . I go to a woman's gym . Great place to make friends and they have a very large pool .

When I was working I used to get so in the zone that I would forget to eat. By 2-3 in the afternoon, I would get really grumpy (as in pitty the poor person who walked into my office). I found that keeping a supply of slim fast and V8 in my desk drawer were just the ticket...quick to drink and I was good to go for the rest of the day. Never used either to lose weight, just for convenience.

Yeah, I was in the same situation. Except I used V8 and Smirnoffs. Improved my mood immensely. :whistle:

I tried SlimFast once. It didn't work.

I used it occasionally in the '70s when I didn't want to waste my brief lunch break eating a real lunch inside. Sat outside in the sun with a can of chocolate. Those were the days--I was thin and fit and never thought about dieting.

I gained 15 pounds in the last 17 months after moving to FL and starting my current job (sedentary). I re-joined WeightWatchers (Lifetime member) in early December to start losing weight and prevent any holiday weight gain. After 8 weeks, I have lost 6 pounds.

I love (and hate) the new PointsPlus program because it penalizes excessive carbs. I think the program has taken itself to another level and is a great option for anyone wanting to lose weight. I am currently doing the program online but I would recommend meetings to anyone who is not already familiar with the points program. You will definitely learn how to eat to lose the weight and keep it off.

I tried it many years ago and as long as you stay on it then you will do ok. Once off it you will bounce back to where you were. After that I did the Pritikan diet, no fat, and lasted ~ 1 yr but got tiered of eating straw. I have been doing the Sonoma Diet since last June and can honestly say that it works and when I go off track for a day or more I go back to it and feel better. I highly recommend that you check this out. Good nutrition in reasonable portions has shead 40lbs from me. I am off the cholestrol meds and feel great.

I get hungry too quickly if all I have is a Slim-Fast. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread, plus an orange, is my usual breakfast. It has about 100 more calories than a Slim-fast, and I can go all morning without hunger.

Amethyst

I've gained weight over the past 6 months for 2 obvious reasons - drinking beer (albeit lite beer ;)) and eating full meals at various fundraisers.
My usual habit is to have several small "meals" during the day. I usually wait 30 minutes from the first hunger impulse to see if I merely have the "munchies" or am truly in need of nutrition. Sometimes a glass of water will solve the urge to eat.
If I am truly hungry, I make a very portion controlled snack for myself. I keep dried fruit and baked crunchy snacks like pretzels and Chex Mix on hand. I use a very small bowl for an exact portion versus bringing the whole bag :whistle: with me.
Mr B is not a big eater, so that helps a lot. He likes to eat small portions of food versus a huge meal.

Ha:LOL:, Ha:LOL:, Ha:LOL:, I read this as Using Slim Jims for diet.

I must have a wire crossed :whistle:

I get hungry too quickly if all I have is a Slim-Fast. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread, plus an orange, is my usual breakfast. It has about 100 more calories than a Slim-fast, and I can go all morning without hunger.

Amethyst

I find that the Slim Fast really fills me up...for two hours...then I go into this starving for food "let me grab anything" mode I am so hungry. I use it with the thought that it will get me just thru until I get real food.
The above sounds sooo much smarter. Cheese and peanut butter coat the stomach and last longer.
Well, it was worth the try I guess.....maybe Atkins' diet drinks are better?

I've gotten super-busy with activities with others, and that, at least, has cut out all that nervous nibbling I was starting to do (again) in the evening.

This losing weight thing: it just won't work for me without an attack plan I can see already.

Pretty much all diets work, because they all eventually boil down to the same factor: lowering calories. Which is easier and more sustainable will forever be up to debate. Remember the Twinkie and Doritos diet published by a nutritionist not so long ago, to prove the point that "its the calories"? He lost 20 lbs!

Back
Top Bottom