Vision problems after cataract surgery

So did you end up with cataract surgery/lenses in both eyes or just one?

Both. I had much trouble deciding on a single focus vs. multi focus lens. Being nearsighted, I wanted to throw away my glasses and that meant multi focus, but, but, but. I had my right eye done first as the cataract was extremely aggressive to the point I had 4 vision corrections within 1 year. I then learned about monovision, one near & one far and decided to go that route. So the first year I had monovision via left eye normal nearsighted and right eye cataract surgery/lens far sighted. Loved the result. I had the left eye done a year later to stay at near sighted, once that cataract started degrading.

Now I'm back to where I started with nearsighted vision only as the right far sighted eye has 100s of blind spots allowing for some vision, but not functional vision, near or farsighted. Could have been worse so I should stop whining now :LOL:.

Both opthamologists I've seen have no good explantion other than it may get better with time..If the right eye had improved like expected I may have gone ahead and did the left. The Dr. that did the surgery did another lasar procedure that he thought would help but it did not..

If the second ophthalmologist is in the same group or even the same city he/she may tend to cover for the other. I'm a fan of academic hospitals when things haven't gone right initially.

If vision is appreciably worse in the eye after surgery it suggests the wrong lens might have been implanted. There is a range of results and 0.5 diopter errors aren't unusual. That part is simple. You can Google "refractive surprises."

Binocular vision problems after cataract surgery are very complex. Apparently in specific circumstances having the second surgery can help.

Going through life wearing sunglasses indoors and cupping your hands around your eyes sounds miserable. I hope you find an ophthalmologist who can help you.

THATS, what I am hoping and looking forward to! If not readers, a cheap, thin, light pair of prescription glasses! Now, my lens look like the bottom of a Coke bottle, and cost >$500 a pair.

I had cataract surgery late last year. Like you, I wore glasses for over 60 years. I now have 20/20 vision and only need readers. I opted for laser correction for astigmatism on the first eye and astigmatism correcting lens for the 2nd eye. I totally enjoy seeing things in focus the entire field of view. I would highly recommend having your astigmatism corrected or at least bringing up the subject tomorrow.

I had cataract surgery late last year. Like you, I wore glasses for over 60 years. I now have 20/20 vision and only need readers. I opted for laser correction for astigmatism on the first eye and astigmatism correcting lens for the 2nd eye. I totally enjoy seeing things in focus the entire field of view. I would highly recommend having your astigmatism corrected or at least bringing up the subject tomorrow.

Thank you. I will ask. Besides cataract surgery they will do a procedure for my glaucoma too.

Last edited:

I will need cataract surgery in the next two-ish years, so I am researching all the options now.

I'm curious why you had laser correction for astigmatism on one eye and the astigmatism-correcting lens in the second eye (if you're willing to share). Were you disappointed in the results of the laser correction in the first eye?

I ask because I am considering the laser correction when the time comes.

I have mild cataracts but the more distressing news is that I also have early dry macular degeneration in both eyes and I am only turning 62 this year. My ophthalmologist said that I am not needing cataract surgery yet. I used to have 20/20 vision and now I am fuzzy all the time. I use reading glasses and I still cannot see clearly. My ophthalmologist said it is the cataracts that is causing my vision issues. But I am reading that macular degeneration can also cause the eyes to be unable to focus.

Last edited:
I will need cataract surgery in the next two-ish years, so I am researching all the options now.

I'm curious why you had laser correction for astigmatism on one eye and the astigmatism-correcting lens in the second eye (if you're willing to share). Were you disappointed in the results of the laser correction in the first eye?

I ask because I am considering the laser correction when the time comes.

In my case, the 1st eye cataract was the result of a macular hole surgery. From what I read; vitrectomy surgery accelerates the growth of cataracts. At the time the Ophthalmologist said I had cataracts in the other eye too. Prior to the macular hole my sight was never an issue. He gave me the option of laser or Toric lens. Both options were the same cost adder. I chose the laser. Everything went well.

We tried doing just the one eye since the other eye wasn't a problem, but the mismatch of sight bothered me. I was wearing a pair of progressive glasses with one lens out. I could never focus close up and the 2nd eye was then noticeably cloudier to me. We decided to proceed with the cataract surgery for the 2nd eye. According to him, the lens can correct for stronger astigmatism. I was borderline between having one or the other. He recommended the Toric lens as the result would have a more predictable outcome.

Last edited:
In my case, the 1st eye cataract was the result of a macular hole surgery. From what I read; vitrectomy surgery accelerates the growth of cataracts. At the time the Ophthalmologist said I had cataracts in the other eye too. Prior to the macular hole my sight was never an issue. He gave me the option of laser or Toric lens. Both options were the same cost adder. I chose the laser. Everything went well.

We tried doing just the one eye since the other eye wasn't a problem, but the mismatch of sight bothered me. I was wearing a pair of progressive glasses with one lens out. I could never focus close up and the 2nd eye was then noticeably cloudier to me. We decided to proceed with the cataract surgery for the 2nd eye. According to him, the lens can correct for stronger astigmatism. I was borderline between having one or the other. He recommended the Toric lens as the result would have a more predictable outcome.

Thanks for that info! I hope you are happy with the outcome in both eyes now. :)

Thanks for this info, as DW will soon be going for cataract measurements. I'm going to suggest that she see an Ophthalmologist, instead of our long-time Optometrist. And I'm going to wait as long as I can for my own mild cataracts!

Just saw this thread ... topical stuff!

I had PRK about 17 years ago, I chose monovision - worked incredibly well - no glasses at all - was about 20/100 with moderate astigmatism.

Waiting on the full release of a new version of the Light Adjustable Lens from RxSight, called LAL+.

These IOLs are adjusted with a UV light delivery device after they are implanted. They are particularly applicable to cases where there has been refractive surgery - LASIK or PRK.

Having been very nearsighted all my life, I was intrigued by the possibility of a "monovision" solution for my cataract surgery. That's where you have one eye set for distance and the other one for close up, and the brain does the adjustment.

But my surgeon said he would only recommend that for someone who was already used to doing it with contact lenses because they could adjust easily. In fact, he said he had tried it himself with contacts and failed miserably.

So I just had both eyes done for distance and happily use simple readers for close work. It's perfect for me, since I love being able to drive and do normal things without glasses.

Exactly my experience. Had my cataract surgeries in Sep 23 and Nov 23. Had both eyes done for distance. Corrected 20/70 and 20/200 to 20/20 and 20/30, no longer need glasses except readers, and sunglasses outside because everything is so bright.

I'm thinking I may could have avoided this problem if I had chosen monovision instead fo multi focus..Anyone here with firsthand knowledge of someone that had one removed or replaced?

Lawman,

I do not, but my reading turned up many folks who had lenses replaced ... apparently this is far more common now. Ophthamologists don't like to do this, but they do.

Both opthamologists I've seen have no good explantion other than it may get better with time..If the right eye had improved like expected I may have gone ahead and did the left. The Dr. that did the surgery did another lasar procedure that he thought would help but it did not..

Keep in mind it's easy for the doctors to say "wait longer" rather than them address the problem now, or worse admit they did not do a good job. I'm not a doctor but it could be time will improve your vision, or as other said maybe your brain is disoriented due to the different visions in each eye. You should get an opinion from another eye surgeon, who is not geographically close to your current doctors (or at least affiliated with a different hospital).

Keep in mind it's easy for the doctors to say "wait longer" rather than them address the problem now, or worse admit they did not do a good job. I'm not a doctor but it could be time will improve your vision, or as other said maybe your brain is disoriented due to the different visions in each eye. You should get an opinion from another eye surgeon, who is not geographically close to your current doctors (or at least affiliated with a different hospital).
That's what I've done..My two opthamologists are 250 miles apart..The problem is I'm hesitant to let them do anything for fear of making it worse..

I had cataract surgery in both eyes 10+ years ago.

I have not read all the posts in this thread.

When I had the surgeries and was debating what kind of lenses to get I was cautioned by my ophthalmologist: we do a pretty good business here removing multi-optic lenses that patients thought they wanted and replacing them with single lenses. That was enough to convince me to go for distance lenses and accept the fact that I’d need reading glasses too. YMMV.

I'd ask the doctor whether these patients had had multi-focal contact lenses in the past.

I loved mine, although I accept that replacing the actual lens is not the same as placing a lens atop the cornea. Still, assuming there isn't something else with my eyes that would preclude multifocals - I would approach the surgery with lots of motivation and the right attitude toward an adjustment period.

When I had the surgeries and was debating what kind of lenses to get I was cautioned by my ophthalmologist: we do a pretty good business here removing multi-optic lenses that patients thought they wanted and replacing them with single lenses. That was enough to convince me to go for distance lenses and accept the fact that I’d need reading glasses too. YMMV.

I'm thinking I may could have avoided this problem if I had chosen monovision instead fo multi focus..Anyone here with firsthand knowledge of someone that had one removed or replaced?

Dr Shannon Wong has many videos and clients travel from all over the country to see him. This video discusses the reasons for a lens exchange and shows the procedures.

https://youtu.be/1NX393lusKg?si=e8DmYYNl7t_Rcvoh

I'm thinking I may could have avoided this problem if I had chosen monovision instead fo multi focus.

It depends on the cause for your problems. I don't understand why there is no explanation. Although many people are happy with multifocal lenses a few do have them replaced.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I may could have avoided this problem if I had chosen monovision instead fo multi focus.

Maybe, maybe not.
My wife had monovision (left near, right distance), hoping to avoid any need for glasses at all. It kind of works for her, but she's not totally happy with it. She also had the more expensive toric lenses, due to astigmatism, which may also be a factor. Not bad enough to warrant replacement, but not as good as she had hoped.

Maybe, maybe not.
My wife had monovision (left near, right distance), hoping to avoid any need for glasses at all. It kind of works for her, but she's not totally happy with it. She also had the more expensive toric lenses, due to astigmatism, which may also be a factor. Not bad enough to warrant replacement, but not as good as she had hoped.
How long ago? Is it getting any better?

Single vision lens for me

Had my left (worse) eye done 2/5, scheduled for the second on 2/19. Single vision (distance) for both. My driver was eliminating glare at night. The first eye is now 20/15 with greatly reduced glare. Replacement of the lens also eliminated a brown tint to everything. Continuing to wear glasses for reading is a small price to pay to avoid potential problems with more complicated lenses. I understand implant lens replacement is a more intrusive/ problematic surgery - original lens are broken up into tiny fragments and removed through a tiny (3mm) incision.

Back
Top Bottom