Vision problems after cataract surgery

lawman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had cataract surgery on my right eye on 11/14/23..Had palnned to do the left eye a week or two later..With such bad results I cancelled the surgery on the left eye..My multi optic lens was suppose to make my distance and intermediate vision better..Instead it made it worse but the worst problem by far is that my eyes will not synchronize or balance.Both opthamologists I've seen have told me even though one eye has been done and one eye has not that they should have balanced out within a month of the surgery..I spent hundreds of dollars on glasses which does not help..The only thing that helps is to either wear sunglasses or cup my hands around my eyes..My eyesight is acceptable but the imbalance makes me nauseous, makes it difficult to judge diatance and causes terrible depth perception..I'm desperate for help..Dr. says come back in 6 months..Any ideas??
Thanks

I think the problem is caused by multi optic lens in one eye but not the other. The brain is having issues with the reconciling the 2 separate visions in the 2 eyes. I think if you get your left eye down with multi optic lens as well, the problem that you are having will go away.

Do they have an explanation for the vision in your right eye being poor? I hope you have seen an independent ophthalmologist after surgery.

I think the problem is caused by multi optic lens in one eye but not the other. The brain is having issues with the reconciling the 2 separate visions in the 2 eyes. I think if you get your left eye down with multi optic lens as well, the problem that you are having will go away.
You may be correct even though the Dr.'s say that difference should have already corrected..If I do it in the left eye and it does what the right eye does i doubt I would be able to drive..

Do they have an explanation for the vision in your right eye being poor? I hope you have seen an independent ophthalmologist after surgery.
Both opthamologists I've seen have no good explantion other than it may get better with time..If the right eye had improved like expected I may have gone ahead and did the left. The Dr. that did the surgery did another lasar procedure that he thought would help but it did not..

There is always a risk with multi optic lens as opposed to single optic lens. In my husband's case, after 2 cataract surgeries, he ended with with a prism issue in that the left lens and right lens were slightly out of alignment. He got glasses that tries to correct the prism effect but it really does not help. He just lives with it.

There is always a risk with multi optic lens as opposed to single optic lens. In my husband's case, after 2 cataract surgeries, he ended with with a prism issue in that the left lens and right lens were slightly out of alignment. He got glasses that tries to correct the prism effect but it really does not help. He just lives with it.
How was his vision before the second eye was done?

How was his vision before the second eye was done?

He didn't have the prism effect before the second eye was done. He opted for single optic lens and he tolerated the surgery well. It was only after his second eye was done, he started getting double vision, and the ophthamologist calls it the prism effect. Basically his 2 lenses were not aligned. It is not supposed to be common.

He didn't have the prism effect before the second eye was done. He opted for single optic lens and he tolerated the surgery well. It was only after his second eye was done, he started getting double vision, and the ophthamologist calls it the prism effect. Basically his 2 lenses were not aligned. It is not supposed to be common.

Is there any other treatment planned..How long ago was his surgery?

Is there any other treatment planned..How long ago was his surgery?

About 20 years ago. I am sure medical field has advanced alot. But he has getting used to the prism and has stopped wearing the corrective glasses.

As I understand it, multifocal cataract lenses should only be used if the patient has past experience with using multifocal lenses (for example, one contact lens for close-up vision, and one contact lens for distance vision). Otherwise, it is difficult to get used to them. Since you did not have prior experience with multifocal lenses, your doctor should not have used that cataract lens for you.

I believe a cataract lens can be removed once. If I were you, I would have the lens removed. Go with a lens for distance vision (both eyes). You will need to use readers for close-up reading.

I would not go back to either of those doctors. I don’t think you are getting good advice.

Last edited:
My eye doctor strongly tried to discourage me from getting multifocal lenses. I went with them anyway and am happy. Vision is not perfect (20/40) but massively better than before and passes dirvers test. I did try nultifocal contacts first and that was the best vision I ever had. Later doctor wondered why previous one discouraged multifocals, he recommends them. I still have issues with floaters and had a second (lazer type) tratment for greying of the lenses., that went well. Nothing has been 'perfect' but very good and massively better than before.

Did you wear progressive lens in your glasses previous to cataract surgery?

I only wore readers
I've heard that some have a problem going from near to multi-focal correction. My wife found that was true when she tried multi-focal contacts. Those made her nauseous, etc., and she went back to single-vision.

The sensitivity to glare is something that happens after surgery, because when your old lens was removed, you see light un-filtered now by an old, yellowing, cloudy lens. I went with single-vision prescription sunglasses to help with that. When riding in the car, working outside, and so on, I wear those. Still, there are situations, especially in the car when I have to look away, or shade my eyes.

So, for the poor experience in one corrected eye, your brain needs time to adjust the information between two eyes each seeing a different world. That may take a long time.

The laser experience you mentioned may have been to remove scarring between the lens and your eye.

We don't know who your ophthalmalogists are, but maybe you need another opinion. Get a high quality examination so that the doc can evaluate many things about you and this surgery. There may be another factor being over-looked.

Lenses can be swapped out, too, so don't despair. I know that this is troubling you, but there is help out there. Remember that eyery situation is different, and what you hear may or may not apply to you.

As I understand it, multifocal cataract lenses should only be used if the patient has past experience with using multifocal lenses (for example, one contact lens for close-up vision, and one contact lens for distance vision). Otherwise, it is difficult to get used to them. Since you did not have prior experience with multifocal lenses, your doctor should not have used that cataract lens for you.

I believe a cataract lens can be removed once. If I were you, I would have the lens removed. Go with a lens for distance vision (both eyes). You will need to use readers for close-up reading.

I would not go back to either of those doctors. I don’t think you are getting good advice.

I have not had cataract surgery, but I expect to at some point as both parents have. I've tried progressives and found them horrible, could not get used to them. So I know when it's my "time" I will avoid that type of lens.

I used to wear multi-focus, toric, rigid gas permeable contact lenses, up until I could no longer wear rigid lenses. My brain adapted quickly to the multi-focus correction in both eyes. But I can definitely imagine Ms. Brain going "no no no" if the correction were to be only in one eye.

In addition, the idea of having one eye corrected for distance and one for close-up gives my brain the fan-tods. My brain wants my eyes to match!

That is not good news, and it really hits home for me (see below)! I'm sorry you are having issues. I hope you get a successful correction.

Tomorrow, I have an appointment with my Opthamologist to measure me for lenses for cataract surgery in the near future. I'm near-sighted and have worn glasses for 61 years, age 5. My Dad had macular degeneration. Mom had a retina detachment. I have iris glaucoma and a macular pucker in my right eye. The left eye is more normal, just highly near-sighted. So I am not a candidate for anything but just a plain old corrective lense. The plan is to correct for distance in both eyes (like now), and end up with both being slightly near-sighted, which will be an improvement for me.

I'm tired of the splotchy, haziness and getting blinded by on-coming lights. At first, I asked my Opthamologist about the latest and greatest lenses, I had visions of seeing with no glasses, but she immediately told me that wasn't going to happen for me. It was too risky. So, it's plain old lenses or nothing. I've wore glasses all my life, and I'll be very happy with thinner lenses, and lighter weight, as long as I can see.

At this point I cannot imagine having another procedure done such as removal or replacement..I'm faced with living life as it is or risk making it worse..The part that bothers me most is that I didn't need to have it done..Belieiving the risk was practically nil I allowed myself to be pushed into it uner the advice of " why wait?" I was having no problem whatsoever..The Dr. told me mine was bad enough that Medicare would pay for it and my vision would be inproved although I did not wear glasses and there was not any reason to put it off...

Having been very nearsighted all my life, I was intrigued by the possibility of a "monovision" solution for my cataract surgery. That's where you have one eye set for distance and the other one for close up, and the brain does the adjustment.

But my surgeon said he would only recommend that for someone who was already used to doing it with contact lenses because they could adjust easily. In fact, he said he had tried it himself with contacts and failed miserably.

So I just had both eyes done for distance and happily use simple readers for close work. It's perfect for me, since I love being able to drive and do normal things without glasses.

I had cataract surgery on my right eye on 11/14/23..Had palnned to do the left eye a week or two later..With such bad results I cancelled the surgery on the left eye..My multi optic lens was suppose to make my distance and intermediate vision better..Instead it made it worse but the worst problem by far is that my eyes will not synchronize or balance.Both opthamologists I've seen have told me even though one eye has been done and one eye has not that they should have balanced out within a month of the surgery..I spent hundreds of dollars on glasses which does not help..The only thing that helps is to either wear sunglasses or cup my hands around my eyes..My eyesight is acceptable but the imbalance makes me nauseous, makes it difficult to judge diatance and causes terrible depth perception..I'm desperate for help..Dr. says come back in 6 months..Any ideas??
Thanks

Get a second opinion. A few weeks after my wife's cataract surgery her vision worsened enough that I rushed her to a urgent care center and to her opthamologist who did the surgery. Turns out that the lens in each eye had clouded over and just needed to be 'cleaned'...can't recall the word he used. In any case it was a very common problem and very easily corrected.

Get a second opinion. A few weeks after my wife's cataract surgery her vision worsened enough that I rushed her to a urgent care center and to her opthamologist who did the surgery. Turns out that the lens in each eye had clouded over and just needed to be 'cleaned'...can't recall the word he used. In any case it was a very common problem and very easily corrected.

She probably had what is called a YAG laser procedure..I've alreay done that..

So I just had both eyes done for distance and happily use simple readers for close work. It's perfect for me, since I love being able to drive and do normal things without glasses.

THATS, what I am hoping and looking forward to! If not readers, a cheap, thin, light pair of prescription glasses! Now, my lens look like the bottom of a Coke bottle, and cost >$500 a pair.

Last edited:
When I had my cataract surgery, I was nearsighted and opted for monovision figuring if the far vision 'test drive' didn't work, I would have the other eye done right away rather than wait for it to go bad. My brain adjusted instantly and I loved having no more glasses for the next 7 years. I had previously worn progressives for years so had confidence I would have no issues with the adjustment.

Then my world went to hell in a hand basket when I lost functional vision in my right, dominant eye due to retinal surgery. I had/have horrible neurological symptoms. It's been going on 3 years, but my brain is getting better and better wrt to making the adjustments. The glare I experienced is gone at the 2 year mark. It was so bad I would sometimes drive with my right eye shut and the Costco lights were almost unbearable.

Then there is the issue of dizziness & nausea when reading. It was so bad at the beginning that I sometimes had to go lie down for a couple of hours. Now I rarely have the problem and stopping the activity and waiting about 10 minutes does the trick.

Short story, lots of it has to do with adjustments of the brain. Not saying that's the case with your situation but it might be. I have to see my retinal surgeon every 4 months and the scans still show healing at the cellular level. As mentioned by others, I would seek out an expert in the field for another opinion as to options you may have. Best wishes for a great outcome.

When I had my cataract surgery, I was nearsighted and opted for monovision figuring if the far vision 'test drive' didn't work, I would have the other eye done right away rather than wait for it to go bad. My brain adjusted instantly and I loved having no more glasses for the next 7 years. I had previously worn progressives for years so had confidence I would have no issues with the adjustment.

Then my world went to hell in a hand basket when I lost functional vision in my right, dominant eye due to retinal surgery. I had/have horrible neurological symptoms. It's been going on 3 years, but my brain is getting better and better wrt to making the adjustments. The glare I experienced is gone at the 2 year mark. It was so bad I would sometimes drive with my right eye shut and the Costco lights were almost unbearable.

Then there is the issue of dizziness & nausea when reading. It was so bad at the beginning that I sometimes had to go lie down for a couple of hours. Now I rarely have the problem and stopping the activity and waiting about 10 minutes does the trick.

Short story, lots of it has to do with adjustments of the brain. Not saying that's the case with your situation but it might be. I have to see my retinal surgeon every 4 months and the scans still show healing at the cellular level. As mentioned by others, I would seek out an expert in the field for another opinion as to options you may have. Best wishes for a great outcome.

So did you end up with cataract surgery/lenses in both eyes or just one?

Back
Top Bottom