Went to Dentist for a Crown

My dentist 3D prints crowns out of porcelain while you sit in the chair. Whole procedure done in about 90 minutes. They digitally film your mouth so no rubber impressions are needed. There are multiple shades to choose from to match your teeth. Cost: $800.
Shop around.

Same procedure with my dentist, crowns are a breeze but will knock you back a grand.

I had my regular cleaning at the dentist today that did the 3D crown. I asked about the life of it and they told me 40 years.

Do you save the plaster mold with the attached temporary crown?

We do, and have them proudly displayed in a china cabinet. Gives the dining room that Addams Family aura.

_B

What's really fun is to get a crown then a year later you need a root canel on the same tooth and they get to drill threw your new crown!

Broke a crown in half horizontally when eating an ice cream s/w a couple of weeks ago. It was an old one and was probably cracked sometime ago. Last one I had cost around $1200 a couple of years ago so I'm sure it will be $1400+ this time. These are all lab made.

My dentist 3D prints crowns out of porcelain while you sit in the chair. Whole procedure done in about 90 minutes. They digitally film your mouth so no rubber impressions are needed. There are multiple shades to choose from to match your teeth. Cost: $800.
Shop around.
This technique sounds cool, and I had one done this way. It's never been right. I went back 5 times and it just doesn't fit with my other teeth, no matter how much "adjustment". My other crowns were perfect...pop off the temporary, pop on the permanent, and I was on my way...I never knew I had a crown on that tooth. The goofy in-office machined one? It took years before it didn't feel slightly foreign. So I'm not saying you can't get a good one without going old school goo method, but I'd rather suck it up for a few minutes and have one that really fits. YMMV.

This technique sounds cool, and I had one done this way. It's never been right. I went back 5 times and it just doesn't fit with my other teeth, no matter how much "adjustment". My other crowns were perfect...pop off the temporary, pop on the permanent, and I was on my way...I never knew I had a crown on that tooth. The goofy in-office machined one? It took years before it didn't feel slightly foreign. So I'm not saying you can't get a good one without going old school goo method, but I'd rather suck it up for a few minutes and have one that really fits. YMMV.

Never had an issue with the 3D printed one from the get go. YMMV.

What's really fun is to get a crown then a year later you need a root canel on the same tooth and they get to drill threw your new crown!

I had that. Dentist was able to fill the crown instead of replace it. Worked out great because insurance would not have covered another crown yet.

Our dentist also does the 3D printed crowns. I was in for my cleaning last week and have a 20-year old crown with possible decay underneath (and the tooth already had a root canal so I wouldn't get any warning by sensitivity to cold or other pain). So in a couple of weeks I'll have the old crown taken off and hopefully it will not be too bad underneath and he can just clean it up and replace it. $1500.

FYI, he also said he's seeing a lot of decay under old crowns and is wondering if most crowns just shouldn't be removed and replaced every 15-20 years to preserve the tooth.

When I had a crown put on a month ago - the front desk person estimated it would run $1700.... I went pale, and kind of freaked out. The dentist was walking by and noticed... she gave some coded words to the receptionist about how to input it - the price magically dropped to $1300. Then they gave me a 5% discount when I paid in full at the first (prep and temp) appointment.

Apparently there is wiggle room in the pricing at her office - and she knows I changed to her practice when my longtime dentist kept raising rates and that I'm 'price sensitive'.

Haven’t had the 3D crown but did get digital impressions. It was so new the dentist was on the line with the lab to verify everything was working and the lab made the crown. No issues. I’ll avoid the 3D printing for now.

Don't ever have a tooth pulled because your don't want to pay for a crown. If you live long enough you'll regret your decision.

Mike

? I am in my 70's and had 2 implants 7 years ago where the teeth had to be pulled first. So far no problems. Curious why you said "you'll regret your decision". What would be the problem and is there some published documentation regarding this?

Cheers!

? I am in my 70's and had 2 implants 7 years ago where the teeth had to be pulled first. So far no problems. Curious why you said "you'll regret your decision". What would be the problem and is there some published documentation regarding this?

Cheers!

I think Wrigley meant that if you have teeth pulled to save the cost of a crown and then just leave that gap, you'll develop bite problems as the adjoining teeth move towards the gap. Of course, depending on the location it can also change your appearance and make it hard to chew. I had to go nearly a year between extraction and getting the completed implants because the tooth holding up one end of a bridge was badly infected and the oral surgeon was being extra-cautious. They were molars (the second one had been pulled years before and was covered by the bridge) and I missed them!

[Mod edit: Moved to Health forum]

When for a dental cleaning, x-rays and exam last Friday. The x-rays shows I needed a crown for one tooth. Upper right tooth.

So, today I went to dentist and got the work down and now have a temporary crown until about 2 weeks when I get the finished crown.

For me, the worse part wasn't the grinding noise needed to prepare for the crown or the discomfort having having to keep my jaw open with slight spasms to let the dentist do his thing.

The worse thing for me was doing an impression on my lower teeth. The texture of the impression material plus the slight odor made me feel like gagging. I compare that (but not as bad) to as if I had a bunch of mayonnaise in my mouth.

I'm hoping the lower impression was good enough as I just couldn't bite down all the way without gagging.

Now makes me think, why is a lower impression needed at all since they did an upper and the crown is on the upper, not lower?

Total cost for crown came out to around $1700. Since I have not dental insurance, I'm going to give my Health Savings Account a hug :popcorn:

The dental lobby is much stronger than any lobby. Dental school seats are highly controlled - even more than medical schools and if you want to be specialized, then good luck in getting the seat. That is why Medicare and most Advantage plans do not have dental insurance.

Hence the high prices with not a good warranty. My wife's temp crown broke/fell off twice - just before our cruise, and we had to tell the Dentist to fix it right away - you can't enjoy a cruise with just soup!

I happen to go to India yearly, and I get cheaper costs and better offices and equipment. I had two implants (American brand); each one cost me $500 vs. $3.000 here per implant. Great Medical Tourism! Go see the Taj Mahal and get the implant done at the price that will cost you here for one implant!

Getting a replacement crown on 8/11 for 1k. Takes about 20-30 minutes for removal, digital imaging, 3D creation of new crown, cementing. Love how its all done around a cleaning.

Haven’t had the 3D crown but did get digital impressions. It was so new the dentist was on the line with the lab to verify everything was working and the lab made the crown. No issues. I’ll avoid the 3D printing for now.

your crown probably is a "3d" crown. it was just done at the lab instead of in-office. your dentist has a digital scanner but does not have the expensive hardware and software to do in-office crowns so he/she took the digtial impression and sent it to the lab where they have the cad/cam milling equipment to make the crown from the digital scan of your tooth.

Cheers!

it is a lot less expensive to pay for one crown on a tooth that can be saved rather than extracting that tooth and then having to pay for an implant and crown or a 3 unit bridge.

Hmmm, My dentist does a one day crown (2 appointments, laser measured for perfect fit) and they fit great. I have dental insurance for 50% of a crown nd my share was ~$500.

I think if you ever need another crown, see if there is a dental school nearby. You will get a dentist back for advanced training, the latest technology AND a lower price for the crown. And my guess it that will be a one day evolution.

Broke a crown in half horizontally when eating an ice cream s/w a couple of weeks ago. It was an old one and was probably cracked sometime ago. Last one I had cost around $1200 a couple of years ago so I'm sure it will be $1400+ this time. These are all lab made.

Pretty good guess on my part. Cost $1475 including core buildup. Up next....a new roof for my house. Terrible timing because of inflation and all but it's time.

Got my new crown installed today.

Also did another upper and lower impression for a night guard. Psyching myself up helped as was more prepared for the yucky impression than last time.

So I've been neglecting some dental work for the past few years and getting caught up now while I have DH's great dental coverage (he'll retire in 3-4 years.

I am getting two old crowns replaced, and one old bridge removed and replaced with implants. Total out of pocket to me is about $1600 with DH's dental coverage picking up the rest.

The patient responsibility for the crowns was $381 with a contracted rate of $800 or so. So agree with the shopping around...

Back
Top Bottom