What was Your Workout Today?

I am getting back into weight lifting, after substituting other gym activities partially or completely for a couple of months. I feel healthier, stronger, and younger when I have been lifting weights a lot.

So, after a few "puny" sessions to get my weight lifting re-started during the last couple of weeks, on Friday I lifted 17.4 tons on the 21 weight machines that I use. (Not all at once! This is the summation of all the lifts in all the sets on all 21 machines). I feel like 16-18 tons is a good, normal amount of weight for me to lift on these machines so that was a minor triumph. This post includes a table listing the machines that I normally use. I also use the Keiser upper back machine, which IIRC is not in my list because it was broken at that time.

I must admit that I feel great! It's good to be back lifting weights. Between that and my normal household duties (grocery shopping, laundry, and gardening today) I feel tired and very well exercised tonight.

Last edited:
Watched the rain at the mancave. With feet propped agains the door frame.

Now that weather while still very warm is not quite so inviting to be outside, I am back to rowing daily. I don't know if this is correct or not, but I tend to favor continued medium force exercise over weight lifting, or jogging. (I'm not allowed to jog anyway, post hip replacement.)

Rowing for me is perfect. There is enough on YouTube to keep me interested all year, and I can rack up the kilometers without feeling stressed. It strengthens my legs and upper body, especially back. There is zero downtime. I pull on some shorts, row, then shower quickly and I am done. No travel, no paying for a meal because I am famished after rowing, no going out into the rain to get home.

Ha

Now that weather while still very warm is not quite so inviting to be outside, I am back to rowing daily. I don't know if this is correct or not, but I tend to favor continued medium force exercise over weight lifting, or jogging. (I'm not allowed to jog anyway, post hip replacement.)

Rowing for me is perfect. There is enough on YouTube to keep me interested all year, and I can rack up the kilometers without feeling stressed. It strengthens my legs and upper body, especially back. There is zero downtime. I pull on some shorts, row, then shower quickly and I am done. No travel, no paying for a meal because I am famished after rowing, no going out into the rain to get home.

Ha

As the poster child for the Concept II, I didn't realize you cut back your rowing workouts over the Summer. Your logic on why rowing is perfect for you, seems well placed.

In the past ten days I really got back into weight lifting, increasing weights substantially at every workout and not feeling sore at all. Today the weather was cool, sunny, and dry - - a perfect day for working out, and I felt like putting my all (consistent with good form) into weight lifting. So, I lifted substantially more than my previous lifetime best, which was on June 2nd of this year. Adding up all the reps for all the sets, it came to 27.5 tons. I am going to be sore tomorrow! But as for today, it was such fun though I can't describe why. I guess it is just empowering.

Anyway, here's what I lifted this time. So far, so good, for age 66 1/2. I am determined to do whatever I can within reason to keep strong and capable as I charge into life's later years.

pounds|sets of 10| machine
140|2|Keiser triceps pushdown machine 70|2|Keiser upper back machine
50|2|Keiser biaxial chest press machine
100|2|Nautilus lateral pulldown machine
45|2|Nautilus fly machine
60|2|Nautilus triceps extension machine
115|2|Nautilus abdominal machine (first round)
60|2|Cybex arm extension machine
180|6|Cybex calf rotator machine
90|2|Cybex leg curl machine
140|6|Nautilus leg press machine
40|2|Cybex overhead press machine
155|2|Cybex back extension machine
40|2|Nautilus arm curl machine
65|2|Nautilus chest press machine
130|2|Nautilus compound row machine
110|2|Cybex hip abductor machine
165|2|Cybex hip adductor machine
115|2|Nautilus abdominal machine (second round)
65|2|Keiser leg extension machine
85|4|Cybex seated row machine

Last edited:
Adding up all the reps for all the sets, it came to 27.5 tons. I am going to be sore tomorrow! But as for today, it was such fun though I can't describe why. I guess it is just empowering.

Your in beast mode - we need to get you a t-shirt that says "Go Heavy or Go Home".

My workouts the last couple of weeks, including today, have been spending a few hours a day tackling landscaping tasks, garden clean up, and prepping the homestead for the coming winter season. For relaxation and unwinding I go for long brisk walks (4 mph) like tonight until I got rained out after only 3 miles. Otherwise, it's fairly long bike rides of 10-15 mikes like yesterday afternoon.

My friends call my rides and walks workouts, but I call them "me time".....a time to chill.

3 times a week do about 20 minutes (about "20 tons") of a variety of machines and free weights. 6 days a week do about 350 calories (30 minutes) on treadmill. Top of all workouts with as many chin ups I can do.

Trying to retire healthy and strong in 3 years.

If I could only stop drinking so many cokes and eating cookies...

Last edited:
I walked a couple of miles at a leisurely pace on a bike trail. It was great to be outdoors in the sun with the autumn leaves swirling about. The end of the week is supposed to bring colder temps and the "s" word (snow). I would imagine (hope) it is only a few flurries. A friend from NOLA (she splits her time there in retirement between FL) texted me today and invited me down to escape the first cold snap but there are some brewing medical issues with a handicapped cousin so I don't feel comfortable leaving the area for the next month or so until they are resolved.

Tuesday:

20 laps around basketball court to warm up

Beard Crawls down length of court and back
Broad jumps down and back (stop every 10 jumps and do 3 burpees)
Repeat 7 times
Skipped Wednesday

Thursday:

Superset of 4 sets each:
10 stiff leg deadlifts (105 pounds)
10 standing leg press (135 pounds)
10 Romanian deadlifts (85 pounds)

3 sets 30 reps of one-leg weighted bench step ups with a leg raise (25 pounds in each hand)

Superset of 3 sets each:
21 leg curls (split into 7@105 Lbs, 7@90 lbs and 7@50 Lbs(
45 calf press (230 Lbs - 15 at each angle)

Megaset of 5 rounds (4 stations, 4 people, continuous rotation with no rest):
30 Leg extensions (10 each leg and then 10 both legs) at 130 Lbs
(All other stations are continuous and key off the person doing leg raises for time)
Plyometric lunge jumps
Wall sit
Squat jumps

Last edited:
25.5 tons today. After last Monday's workout, it almost felt like slacking off - - lots easier than it might have seemed a couple of weeks ago. So, I am speculating that maybe it is good to push the limits once in a while like that.

My wife and I go to the gym Mon-Fri in the morning (9ish) for a couple hours. 30 mins cardio ( 8 min mile 3.5 miles on treadmill and a cool down) then weights. Different muscle group each day.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

3 hours of doubles pickleball this morning. I started playing in September and am completely addicted. Our club plays 7 days a week twice a day so there is almost always a game going.

I get really bored with the gym so am glad to have found a social game that makes me run that I enjoy.

I went out for a nice leisurely, brisk walk for an hour, and got in just over 4 miles. I might get in a couple more miles later tonight before bed time.

The gym was in disarray for a week plus while they did some major renovations. We drug a lot of equipment down to the basketball court and improvised. Lot's of innovation - here are a few of the moves we did:

One leg deadlifts. Great core and balance exercise:

Box jumps. 5 sets of 25 reps with 1 minute rest. These will improve explosive power and jack your heart rate up into the red zone.

Battle Rope Burpees. Another hard cardio exercises

Alternating Medicine Ball Pushups:

And my favorite - Towel Pushes:

Last edited:
Monday:

Bench Press: 10x155x4
Decline Press: 10x165x4
Dumbbell Press: 10x60x4
Pec Deck: 10x80x4
Cable Flys: 10x50x4
Shoulder Press: 10x60x3
Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 10x35x4
Prone Dumbbell Flys: 10x20x4
Dips: 10x4
Skull Crushers: 10x70x3
Tricep Cable Extensions: 10x160x3
Tricep Rope Extensions: 10x130x3
Tricep Reverse Extensions: 10x40x3
Machine Tricep Extensions: 10x160x3

I'm working thru a rotator cuff/impingement issue right now.

Monday:

Bench Press: 10x155x4
Decline Press: 10x165x4
Dumbbell Press: 10x60x4
Pec Deck: 10x80x4
Cable Flys: 10x50x4
Shoulder Press: 10x60x3
Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 10x35x4
Prone Dumbbell Flys: 10x20x4
Dips: 10x4
Skull Crushers: 10x70x3
Tricep Cable Extensions: 10x160x3
Tricep Rope Extensions: 10x130x3
Tricep Reverse Extensions: 10x40x3
Machine Tricep Extensions: 10x160x3

I'm working thru a rotator cuff/impingement issue right now.

Just a few comments, you might want to back off all the presses if you are experiencing impingement in a shoulder, especially at the weights you have listed. Also, I would recommend you consider balancing push exercises with some pulling exercises to avoid imbalances, same with triceps, balance those out with some curls.

Just a few comments, you might want to back off all the presses if you are experiencing impingement in a shoulder, especially at the weights you have listed. Also, I would recommend you consider balancing push exercises with some pulling exercises to avoid imbalances, same with triceps, balance those out with some curls.

Thanks for the good advice; I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit these are relatively light weights for me after almost thirty years of powerlifting. The shoulder issue is from a 3rd degree right shoulder separation over ten years ago, I've got a steel band that is holding my clavicle in place. I took a break from working out over the summer and that shoulder will quickly atrophy.

Monday/Thursday are chest/shoulder/tricep push days, Wednesday is leg day, Tuesday/Friday are back/bicep pull days. I've been on this cycle now for just shy of 12 weeks and my shoulder is doing much better; I'll have one week of full rest coming up and then change my routine for the next 12 week cycle.

I've been on this cycle now for just shy of 12 weeks and my shoulder is doing much better; I'll have one week of full rest coming up and then change my routine for the next 12 week cycle.

Glad to hear your shoulder is doing better. I am usually hesitant to give any advice as you don't know the depth of knowledge of others, but when I saw that you mentioned impingement, that was a red flag for me.

Generally, when I work out, each session utilizes a balanced approach. For example when working shoulders I do pull downs as well as seated overhead presses, for arms I do triceps pulldowns or skull crushers and curls, for chest/back I do bench presses and rows, etc.

It appears you are doing the same, but doing so on alternating days, and thats fine if its working for you. I also like to change things up every 12 weeks.

Glad to hear your shoulder is doing better. I am usually hesitant to give any advice as you don't know the depth of knowledge of others, but when I saw that you mentioned impingement, that was a red flag for me.

Thanks. Fish oil and glucosamine sulfate supplements actually help quite a bit and my hope is that strengthening those little rotator cuff muscles will help long term.

I've just started to introduce weight training after 2 months of intense cardio (90 minutes daily) to lose body fat. Oh the pain... especially pecs and triceps... ouch.

Great!!! Weight training is so rewarding, IMO. Now that you are easing back into it, my guess is that it won't take long at all until you are lifting whatever you used to lift before that two month break, with nothing but the "good pain". Just keep at it. :)

As for what my workout was yesterday, well, I just rode the exercycle on level 3 for a few "miles" at the gym. It wasn't a very tough workout but at least I got there and worked out.

Last edited:
Thanks. Fish oil and glucosamine sulfate supplements actually help quite a bit and my hope is that strengthening those little rotator cuff muscles will help long term.

I am a former pitcher and have had cuff problems. For cuff health, elastic tubing work did more for me than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom