What was Your Workout Today?

That's great news Derskickmeister...it gives me hope that a rotator cuff remedy is just around the corner.

Yep, as others have said and as I can confirm the PT after the surgery is crucial. In my case it has been 3 times/week, tapering to once per week starting next week.

Recently set a goal for myself to cut some fat (e.g. while I don't particularly like to put cutting in terms of pounds, I think this will translate to losing about 25 lbs) by end of August. I figure without establishing a goal, I'll probably go no where. I've dropped about 4-5 lbs in a few weeks, that included one week of travel eating restaurant food. I am a bit concerned of losing muscle and strength in the process, but was pleased to see I can still dead lift 315 lbs despite not lifting that weight for quite some time. Also, maybe I am crazy, but I believe I see a difference in the mirror which should be the better indicator of success.

3 mile hike in the open preserve behind my house - lots of trails, good thing there is shade along the creek - it is HOT today, but a good sweat was worth it.

Now, for something cold:cool:

5+ mile walk this morning; took 1hr 40 minutes which is not too fast, but the route was hilly.

Typically my cardio is only 5 minutes of walking on the treadmill. Feel good now, however, leg day in gym tomorrow may be a little more challenging. I'm going to incorporate more of these longer walks which should help in cutting some fat.

Encountered quite a few joggers, walkers, dog walkers, mothers jogging with strollers, and cyclists. I say good morning and wave to everyone, but for the most part, I would say the 40 somethings and under generally don't acknowledge back:nonono:.

DFW_M5, a 5+ mile walk over hilly terrain is phenomenal at any pace when you are not used to doing much cardio (me either, that's how I know! :LOL:). What a great workout.

I worked on my cardio yesterday, too, on the elliptical and on the seated elliptical.

DFW_M5, a 5+ mile walk over hilly terrain is phenomenal at any pace when you are not used to doing much cardio (me either, that's how I know! :LOL:). What a great workout.

I worked on my cardio yesterday, too, on the elliptical and on the seated elliptical.

Thanks, I doubt I will ever get back into running again, but being outside taking in the scenery and the fresh air felt good.

5+ mile walk this morning; took 1hr 40 minutes which is not too fast, but the route was hilly.
That does seem like pretty intense for almost two hours. My goals are similar, lose body fat and maintain/grow lean body mass, and the program my trainers and nutritionist have me is working well. The cardio comes in two styles, low-intensity and steady state(LISS); or, short and of very high intensity(intervals). Up until this week I was walking 3 hilly miles in right at an hour(LISS), now I'm doing 15 minutes of intervals with a 10 minute warm up and cool down.

Everyone that I train with is of the opinion that higher intensity cardio over a longer period of time results in loss of lean body mass. They say you might lose fat, but you're also going to some of the muscle you worked hard to build.

Everyone that I train with is of the opinion that higher intensity cardio over a longer period of time results in loss of lean body mass. They say you might lose fat, but you're also going to some of the muscle you worked hard to build.

The trainers from my gym would agree. I may try to mix in some sprint intervals which should also help with building/maintaining muscle. Thats about the only type of running I can still do. I get to do that currently playing softball 2x/week, but doing it on the track would probably be better. Thinking run 100M, walk for 1/8 m and repeat for 8-10 times.

For me the gym part has been the easy part, while proper nutrition has been elusive:facepalm:

For me the gym part has been the easy part, while proper nutrition has been elusive:facepalm:

+1000 Working out is fun and easy in comparison.

I have been struggling with considerable obesity for a long, long time. I am working hard on eating less and eating healthier foods but this is the hardest battle I have ever fought. I will keep at it, though this is a lifetime battle. I want a long, happy life.

Meanwhile, as I work on this, I decided it wouldn't do any harm to change some of my present fat to muscle. I was thinking this could improve my routine lab test results, and it seems to be doing that.

More muscle also makes it lots easier for me to do things around the house on my own and to be more independent as I grow older. I don't want to be one of those feeble old people; I'd rather be strong as long as that is an option.

Last edited:
I am working hard on eating less and eating healthier foods but this is the hardest battle I have ever fought. I will keep at it, though this is a lifetime battle. I want a long, happy life.

I would image living in NOLA makes the eating part even tougher with all the great restaurants near you.

I would image living in NOLA makes the eating part even tougher with all the great restaurants near you.

Both tough, and easy. The food here is out of this world. But, at least when I splurge on an unwise food choice here, I get an extreme level of hedonic satisfaction from it.

I can't do that often, though, so it has to last me a while. For example I only allow myself to go to this restaurant once a year. I like their food too much.

To be honest, the eating part has been pretty tough everywhere I have lived since I had my daughter 36 years ago. I didn't have much of a weight problem before then; a little bit, but really hardly any problem. However it has been a struggle for me ever since.

Last edited:
Now that's a full course!

Perfect description! I love that place. :D

Anyway, today's workout: I lifted weights on my usual 20 machines. They added up to 15.5 tons this time. I have been doing cardio more lately instead of lifting, so I will probably be sore in the morning.

I caused myself some problems with my upper body doing a vigorous program of indoor exercising from early Feb - late April. I have residual tendinitis in my hands, wrists and shoulder from too many years at the keyboard. It all triggered from too much repetition so I decided to back off from it and let things recover.
I've been doing outside container gardening w*rk and indoor light ch*res as a substitute, so no weight came back on. Whew!
All better now and ready to get back to the stretch resistance band, the stair stepper and exercise ball. And of course watching Bugs Bunny. :D

Freebird,

Glad to hear you have recovered. Take it slow going forward to avoid any setbacks.

Did the same 5+ mile walk this morning and knocked 10 minutes off my time using a secret method.

If you most know, it was about 10-15 degrees cooler.

Freebird, I'm glad you are feeling up to using the stretch bands, exercise ball, and stepper. The nice thing about doing a routine with those is that you could do it at home during your rugged winters, too. No need to travel to a gym unless you want to. :)

DFW_M5, you are doing some amazing walks! What terrific exercise.

As for me, my workout yesterday at the gym included no weights for a change, same as on Wednesday. I worked out on the elliptical. Then I switched over to the seated elliptical, and then walked for a while to cool down.

Last edited:
All my training partners were off last week, so I decided to skip the week as well. No exercise, other than some light mobility work, and I had a few carbs and a couple of alcoholic drinks.

Back in the gym today after 10 days off. It was leg day.

All exercises are 5 sets of 15 reps:

Power Squat Machine - 450 Lbs
Superset with High Knees and Skipping High Knees

Stability Ball Reverse Curls
Superset with Leg Extension Machine - 145 Lbs

Single Leg Curls - 60 Lbs
Superset with Broad Jumps

Observation: The body gets used to not training and protests when you reintroduce strenuous exercise. The first set of squats made me dizzy, and my heart rate was 155 (I would normally get to 140-142 max with that exercise). During that first superset I hit 160-165 (almost 90% Max HR). It stayed elevated for most of the hour. I've seen my training partner do the same when he took off a few days and know that it's a normal reaction. That experience also taught me that the body will recover quickly and I'll be back to normal within a couple of days.

Last edited:
A few hours of kayaking topped off with two hours of figure skating.

Today at the gym I briskly and joyfully lifted a total of 17.8 tons on my 21 favorite weightlifting machines in 40 minutes or less. Then I rode on the seated elliptical and the regular standing elliptical, but not for as long as I had hoped. It was hot and I was pretty worn out so I called it a day.

I decided that although I suppose I should include some cardio in my workouts, I don't want to squeeze it in at the expense of weightlifting. That is what has been happening lately, and I miss lifting. So, I guess that from now on, lifting comes first and then cardio gets whatever bits of energy I have after I'm done or else on days when I don't lift.

It's good to get back to lifting. :D

Last edited:
Although today was a non-gym day, I'm almost back to normal weights and cardio after my hospital stay. Doc says next week is full bore back to normal!:dance:

It is amazing how much strength I lost over just three weeks of inactivity. I couldn't have restarted at full bore even if I'd been told it was okay.

Pickleball, bike riding, lawn mowing, edging, trimming and weeding. Will do some 12 oz curls later tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom