When did doc make you go on blood press meds?

Thanks everyone. I am not normally paranoid about HBP thought it does run in the family but my eating/exercise have declined substantially since 2020 so it seems kind of a wake up call. I don't exactly want to take meds just to meet some definition the drug industry made up but then of course I don't want to be foolish. More readings should tell me what I need to know.
Diet/exercise are really important for HBP. At 35 I was diagnosed with HBP, had I known how few changes would have fixed the problem I would have done it then. Back in 2015 I lost weight to give myself a normal BMI and started exercising. No more meds after 23 years.

When I went for my first physical around age 40, My BP was in the 150-160/90-99 range. Doctor tested me for a few days, it was consistent. Both my parents had HBP and took medicine, and one brother passed out at work and it was discovered he had HBP, so my doctor recommended I go on meds, which I did. Still taking them, my BP has stayed within the 110-120/65-80 range since then.

My diet is better now, and I am down about 30 pounds since my 40s, and that may have helped lower my blood pressure some, but my doctor has not said anything about going off of them. He has tweaked them over the years. I am not having any side effects, so taking them is not an issue for me.

Dentists do not help the situation using these useless machines.

1) You are under stress going to the dentist
2) Wrist measurement machines are sketchy, at best
3) Your body is positioned wrong
4) The assistant is usually making you talk

Useless. They should be banned from doing it this way.

Absolutely go to your doctor to get a proper measurement. BP may be the most important factor for cardiac and arterial health.

I am on BP medication (lisinopril - 10mg/day) and my BP is usually ~122/76 at my PCP's office. At the dentist, where they put the device on my wrist, they get ~105/65. I think the dentist (or actually the hygienist) is in error.

He has tweaked them over the years. I am not having any side effects, so taking them is not an issue for me.

You are lucky if no side effects. I think my dad was on 6 meds just for HBP and it was still quite high. They found he had a kidney issue I don't remember a lot about it.

HBP runs in my mom’s side of the family. Most got it at 31 despite doing everything right. St 50 I was in the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack and so did the doctors. I was in good shape power walking 4-6 miles a day and hiking mountains on the weekend.

My BP was 220/110 and my heart rate way too fast and was erratic. They had to lower it chemically which is dangerous because they were worried that I would have a stroke. I felt like someone had a fist in my chest squeezing and that turned out to be asthma. Anyway I left the hospital a few days later on a beta blocker and asthma medication and have been fine for 18 years. Beta blockers cause fatigue and I have never had as much energy but sure beats having a stroke.

I've been on Edaryclor BP med for years. The first day I took it I went up three steps and got dizzy, 4 hours later I got my BP machine and My BP was 90/56. The next day I split the pill in half and that seemed fine.

Recently I started a Carnivore diet and going to the gym. (11 weeks) I found I was getting dizzy during my workout so I stopped my BP back in July. I'm a little slow in getting things done but, I finally cleared the memory on my BP machine, set the time and I'll get a good record for my next doc appointment. I just checked at 125/64 usually runs a little higher, but I don't usually do the 5 minute sit quietly before testing, this time I did because I was reading the manual to figure out what buttons to push. :LOL:

Last edited:
I got a high BP reading in the first visit with this new doc and he put a diagnosis of HBP on my chart despite my protest that I've always been 110/70 ish prior, even two weeks before that at my PCP.
I got my own cuff, test once a month or so (i'm fine), and I never went back to that doctor.

My first doctor out of college (mid 80s) wrote on my chart: "Type A Personality Disorder" when I showed him my blood pressure charting card. I kid you not. The Red Cross gave you these cards so you could chart your BP, they'd even write it down for you. I went to the doc, my BP was a tad high, so I pulled out this card to show it was consistently better at the Red Cross.

For that act, he declared me high strung and wrote this Type A nonsense down, even considering it a "disorder." He basically used it to shame me into relaxing.

I found another doctor.

When I started seeing a new doctor at age 53 (after years of not seeing a doctor at all), he told me my pressure was high on my first visit. Then at my next regular checkup he told me that it was high again. After he found it high at my 3rd checkup, he said "3 strikes -- you have high blood pressure and should start taking medications." His policy was if he witnessed 3 high readings, then you have high blood pressure.

Years ago, my doctor asked me to start taking BP measurements at home, so I bought a good quality armband monitor. We watched as the measurements slowly rose over time, and finally I went on BP meds last month (Olmesartin). My BP reduced dramatically, and I felt no side effects, either from the meds or from reduced BP. I have found that various medical providers (like dentists) want to check my BP, and so they immediately have me sit down and use a wrist monitor of questionable accuracy. They don't follow AHA guidelines (how to measure blood pressure). But dentists are checking for out-of-control BP, to protect themselves from patients who might stroke out or have a heart attack while being treated.

Thanks everyone. I am not normally paranoid about HBP thought it does run in the family but my eating/exercise have declined substantially since 2020 so it seems kind of a wake up call. I don't exactly want to take meds just to meet some definition the drug industry made up but then of course I don't want to be foolish. More readings should tell me what I need to know.

Sounds like you need to get back to the healthier eating and exercise!

I track my BP readings at home.

I have only ever seen two sizes, the blue and the larger red. What other size are you talking about? A kids size?

Maybe it's considered "kids" or just petite - I don't know. But for people with thin frames/smaller arms, if the band looks a bit oversized/cumbersome on you, it doesn't hurt to ask if a smaller band could be used.

They may be kept in another exam room or in a drawer -- vs out, since they probably don't use them as often.

It's very obvious when a band is too tight/won't fit on a larger person, so staff notice that. But they rarely think to check on fit for a smaller person - they just tighten the band more. While that prevents it from falling off, the reading isn't as accurate as with a better fitting band.

Doctors are hit and miss. I have family history of HBP and monitor my BP frequently. In the past, I took Lisinopril/HCTZ to manage my BP (I was 140+).

I went for an annual checkup earlier this year with a new PCP (old one retired). I brought in my BP monitor, which I suspect was measuring low and wanted them to check. When I got there, the nurse measured me at 120/80, which wasn’t close (I wish). I’m usually in the upper 130s. I mentioned this to her, she measured me again with the same result and then we used my BP monitor, which was low 140s. She was surprised and said the PCP will follow-up.

After that, the PCP checked, confirmed that my BP was high, chalked it up to nerves and told me not to worry about it unless I’m consistently over 140 when I measure at home. He also said to only measure once a month.

He didn’t want to see my past measurements and basically said I’m measuring too often and that’s probably not helping my BP.

Fortunately my BP is now in the 120s due to diet and exercise. I still measure regularly to make sure I’m on track.

I should probably find a new PCP, but that’s not easy in my area. And I’m pretty sure my PCP thinks I’m a BP nut.

When my mother was on what turned out to be her death bed she was on a machine monitoring everything. Having recently gone through emergency medical responder training I was fascinated by both the measurements and the reactions of the doctors and nurses. They could not figure out what was wrong with her but a brain bleed or an infection were the primary suspects since shehad recently had surgery for a benign tumor near the top of her spinal cord. So BP would seem to be important for a potential brain bleed.

Her BP was measured automatically about once a minute I think and would alarm occasionally and be over 220/~160 or 240/~160 which alarmed me. The nurses and doctor were unconcerned. She normally had high BP and was on meds but not THAT high. As an EMR I was taught to basically ignore HBP as a chronic condition and only be concerned if it went over 180 systolic. They said that the long term meds do a really good job of controlling BP long term but there are no good drugs to reliably control it short term. They would just silence the alarm and leave.

There are some techniques that a medical provider can do to quickly lower BP in a concious patient. Look up the vagus nerve response. Basically the act of bearing down like you are going to the bathroom triggers a significant and immediate drop in BP. It is the cause of a common situation in elderly people called a "commode code." It is NOT a way to treat hypertension but it does result in numerous ambulence calls every year. It happened to my neighbor years ago and I started treatment on her until the fire department paramedics arrived a few minutes later. I had no equipment with me but detected a very weak but steady pulse and low BP (by palpitation), had rescued her after she passed out on the toilet in the middle of the night so I laid her down and started treatment for shock. FD confirmed it was a "commode code" and did nothing different except check her BP properly to confirm it was very low. They transported her and she survived the night. Unfortunately her problems were secondary to advanced and terminal stage breast cancer and she passed away a few weeks later.

Geez doctors can be jerks.

Hah -- remember, half of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

I'll offer a few more BP observations.

Many doctors don't know how to measure BP, or are unwilling to follow the protocol, which is noted in earlier posts: at least 5 minutes sitting, upright in chair, legs uncrossed and feet on the floor. Nurses and PAs do it better, yet almost always the nurse is talking to me while listening for the pulse to return, and I think they release the pressure too fast, which increases the possible error.

At my former cardiology office, the person fetching a patient would walk us the 75 feet from the waiting room, make us stand on the Scale of Shame, walk us farther to the exam room, and within a minute begin to take BP.

I asked the doctor how long it takes most people's BP to return to baseline after that kind of exercise. He had no idea. I found one study online that suggested about 80% of people will return to baseline in 5 minutes, and almost all in 8 minutes. I require about 7.

Finally, I was diagnosed earlier this year (I'm 73 and overweight) with obstructive sleep apnea (58 events per hour, yike!) and started CPAP two months ago. My BP has eased down since then and is now 120/65-ish and occasionally lower. My resting heart rate has slowed a bit too. I hope these are expected results -- I talk to the sleep doc soon and cardio in November.

Last edited:
Hah -- remember, half of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

I'll offer a few more BP observations.

Many doctors don't know how to measure BP, or are unwilling to follow the protocol, which is noted in earlier posts: at least 5 minutes sitting, upright in chair, legs uncrossed and feet on the floor. Nurses and PAs do it better, yet almost always the nurse is talking to me while listening for the pulse to return, and I think they release the pressure too fast, which increases the possible error.

At my former cardiology office, the person fetching a patient would walk us the 75 feet from the waiting room, make us stand on the Scale of Shame, walk us farther to the exam room, and within a minute begin to take BP.

I asked the doctor how long it takes most people's BP to return to baseline after that kind of exercise. He had no idea. I found one study online that suggested about 80% of people will return to baseline in 5 minutes, and almost all in 8 minutes. I require about 7.

Finally, I was diagnosed earlier this year (I'm 73 and overweight) with obstructive sleep apnea (58 events per hour, yike!) and started CPAP two months ago. My BP has eased down since then and is now 120/65-ish and occasionally lower. My resting heart rate has slowed a bit too. I hope these are expected results -- I talk to the sleep doc soon and cardio in November.

Cuffs should always be aligned properly on the arm such that the arrow on the cuff is aligned with the crook of your elbow (along the artery); no crossed legs, sitting, head aligned with your shoulders, patient relaxed and breathing comfortably. The cuff needs to be the proper size and the inflation should squeeze your arm properly. If you have a high reading it may deflate and re-inflate to a higher cuff pressure.

Stress and nervousness do affect your BP reading; when I lived in AZ, just walking in from over 100 degree heat to an air conditioned room would cause stress and significant changes in BP as your body is constantly adjusting to the environment.

Tracking over a longer time is the best indication of your BP as many have noted. However, it is the range and the endpoints of that range that should be of concern to the clinician as each vendor may have some variation in the accuracy of their medical devices' sensors.

If you have the BP done in a clinic or hospital they are *supposed* to check the machine yearly for electrical issues and accuracy as per JCAHO guidelines and the Environment of Care rules; if they do not do that they will be dinged on the assessment and possibly suffer reimbursement issues from CMMS and probably insurance companies who tie their reimbursement policies to JCAHO findings and the CMMS determinations. This is a bit cynical, but if the facility has recently been through their JCAHO inspection, there is a higher probability the medical equipment has been recently calibrated and validated.

With regard to the clinical therapy decisions a clinician might make based on the readings, posters here are correct that the ranges used for clinical intervention have been lowered recently. That being said, as always it is a personal decision to heed your clinician's advice and if you are not sure of their advice, a second or even third opinion is warranted. Again, not to be cynical, 50% of MDs graduated in the lower half of their class and clinicians have to pay their bills, too. Most go into medicine for noble reasons, but not all.

Lastly, genetic proclivities aside, as with most of life, prevention is worth and ounce of cure. Many times there are things one can do to limit or stave off for a longer time the need for clinical intervention. We all age and wear out and most will need some type of help or another. Nevertheless, the more you can defer that, the better as I'm sure most here know :)

By the way, I am a biomedical/clinical engineer and have worked in many biomedical engineering shops in many different hospitals and clinics; I also teach about these types of systems at the graduate engineering level. The main point I stress to my students and my staff are ensuring the veracity of the sensors on the medical devices which includes correct calibration of the devices, correct use of the devices and proper environments for the use of the devices and/or context information added to the data collected for an assessment of the user/environment/sensor accuracy of the device for the clinician to use; those sensor readings and data are used by clinicians to make decisions and if the data is not accurate or trustable, the clinician may make a correct decision on bad data resulting in no intervention when needed or intervention when not needed. The rules put in place by the JCAHO and CMMS regarding medical device maintenance are there to mitigate the risk of the clinical intervention dilemma.

Stress and nervousness do affect your BP reading; when I lived in AZ, just walking in from over 100 degree heat to an air conditioned room would cause stress and significant changes in BP as your body is constantly adjusting to the environment.

I am in AZ as well - never thought about the heat to a/c thing. I am leaning towards refusing meds and trying to get moving a bit more but will take it once a day until the appointment. It is looking like I'd have passed under the old guidelines. I don't know that I trust a $29 device one way or the other.

Last edited:
I suffer from white coat syndrome. And the assistant in many doctors offices does not have you sit for 5 minutes before they take your BP. .....

Same with my doctor's office they put it on as soon as I sit down that combined with white coat syndrome my readings always real high.
I take it at home and It is excellent.

123/71 at age 74 soon to be 75. No need for the pills.

I've been on the borderline of being put on BP medications or not. The last few times I've been to a doctor's visit, I noticed that it has gone down between 10 and 20 points on each reading, moving me more into the category of not being on them.

I've cut down a few pounds (only about 8-10), but I think the main reason is the realization that if I absolutely decided to, I could retire in less than 4 years with all the basics covered. Just knowing that has given me a reprieve in my stress level, knowing that if a high school student, college undergraduate student or politician :LOL: can get through 4 more years, it can't be that bad. And I may stay even a few years longer than that (I realize that's more a discussion for other parts of the forum), but for some reason this 4 year milestone has been better than the realization of having 8 or 10 or 15 years left before I can retire.

Last edited:
I have never had a dentist take my BP in 64 years.

When I was attempting to get into the Air Force Academy back in '76, my physical revealed that my BP was 130/90. I was a student athlete, worked a part time job at 16-18, the AF made me monitor my BP for 60 days with the school nurse. Interesting observation over those 2 months was the day that I had an egg dish for breakfast, my BP was 130/90 and "cereal" breakfast days it was 120/80. Since my forties, it has hung in there at 130/90, and I started meds 14 years ago.

I have never had a dentist take my BP in 64 years.

When I was attempting to get into the Air Force Academy back in '76, my physical revealed that my BP was 130/90. I was a student athlete, worked a part time job at 16-18, the AF made me monitor my BP for 60 days with the school nurse. Interesting observation over those 2 months was the day that I had an egg dish for breakfast, my BP was 130/90 and "cereal" breakfast days it was 120/80. Since my forties, it has hung in there at 130/90, and I started meds 14 years ago.

I was the opposite- I was in college trying to be flight qualified in ROTC - it was 96/56 - which was too low (long distance runner) so the nurse took my BP twice a day for a week - which just happened to be exam week! I was up to 115ish over 70ish Lack of sleep and fast food diet works wonders.

My doc put me on Lisinopril when my BP was 140/90. About 3 months later I started experiencing mild dizziness when I'd bend over then raise back up. I did it on purpose a few times and took my BP at home when this happened, and found my BP was dropping significantly when I bent over. Told my doc and she took me off the med completely (did not put me on a diff one). Since then my BP has been around 130/80...which she says is ok. Not sure why it dropped, I haven't lost weight or anything...but I feel fine now. Will keep an eye on BP in future.

I don't take them yet. Years ago, husband briefly gained 15 pounds (6' 2.5", normally weighed 175), started snoring, went to Dr. and found his BP had risen to 150/90. Took the meds for a while, exercised, lost the weight, quit snoring, went off the BP meds and never again had a high reading. Oh, and I stopped cooking with any salt - we just added a little at the table.

Back
Top Bottom