Why are older Americans drinking so much

I always find people's dietary biases funny. Someone solemnly advises to avoid all alcohol "it's poison!". Then you find out they're smokers. Or regularly consume fatty meat and soda. I've had fairly heavy drinkers and chain smokers caution me against consuming skim milk. lol

Or they never exercise, or are crazy fast bad drivers, or they regularly get up on the roof on rickety ladders, or have any number of "bad" habits outside of diet/drink.

I enjoy nice wine, and nice food, and nice workouts.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back and curtail the gallons of diet soda I stupidly drank in my youth, which at the time, few medical folks were concerned about. (Oh yeah...and wear some darn sunblock!)

That diet crap - more than all the alcohol I drank in the past - has likely screwed up my health a lot more. (Bad genetics didn't help!)

I always find people's dietary biases funny. Someone solemnly advises to avoid all alcohol "it's poison!". Then you find out they're smokers. Or regularly consume fatty meat and soda. I've had fairly heavy drinkers and chain smokers caution me against consuming skim milk. lol

Diet soda is still way better than sugared soda. It is only poison if you are a lab rat where they are pumped 500 times what human consume in a day of sugar alternatives.

I grew up drinking sugared soda and switched to diet soda. For the past year, I have stopped all sodas. I don't feel the difference physically but psychologically I feel so much better.

The two number 5's were a mistake...sorry:facepalm: And i can't edit it now.

I thought that was intentional, part of the 'joke' - leave it, it's golden!

Kinda like that old joke "1st prize is an all expenses paid trip to New Jersey! 2nd prize is two all expenses paid trips to New Jersey!"

Apologies to any fans of NJ - it's a JOKE!

-ERD50

Last edited:
I thought that was intentional, part of the 'joke' - leave it, it's golden!

Kinda like that old joke "1st price is an all expenses paid trip to New Jersey! 2nd prize is two all expenses paid trips to New Jersey!"

Apologies to any fans of NJ - it's a JOKE!

-ERD50

I really like the taste of good wine, good beer, and most cordials. (Don't like grain-based alcoholic drinks at all).

I just don't like the way they make me feel. Not one bit. This has always puzzled me, since most people seem to prize the alcoholic buzz even more than they like the taste!

You are not alone. I'm ok with a little buzz, but would prefer it to be very little. I like the taste.

I enjoy a good wine or beer. I've never enjoyed any hard alcohols (cocktails, etc).

I've tried some non-alcoholic beers recently, but it's not the same. In the US, I like a good full body IPA, but unfortunately those are usually 6-7% ABV, which limits consumption (to avoid that buzz feeling).

As for wines, some of my favorites are reds from my home country, which are around 11-12%. Much easier to drink than the 14%+ reds that are common in the US.

I've tried a lot of different beers, but I've never tasted a beer that I actually liked the taste of. I drank it for the feeling I got. There is no "good beer". :LOL: But I'm done with that.

Interesting... in my youth experimenting with narcotics was the norm and I rarely drank. I never took to alcohol and rarely touch it except for social occasions. I'll still partake in a little drug use when the opportunity arises but I don't search it out. I do have alcoholics on both sides of my family. with two uncles that drank themselves to death. One at the age of 42 and another in his mid-50s.

I've tried a lot of different beers, but I've never tasted a beer that I actually liked the taste of. I drank it for the feeling I got. There is no "good beer". :LOL: But I'm done with that.

IMHO Walk into any British pub and order a pint of Bitter or Porter. Nothing quite like it.

Years ago I worked with a very bright Indian (India not Native American) fellow. One day at lunch he proceeded to lecture us on the health evils of eating meat, especially beef. After doing so, he pulled out his pack and lit a cigarette. :facepalm:

I've also been lectured about eating dairy products and, especially, drinking milk. Usually by veggie lovers who somehow think if I drink a glass of milk they will get sick. I'm not sure how that works.

Years ago I worked with a very bright Indian (India not Native American) fellow. One day at lunch he proceeded to lecture us on the health evils of eating meat, especially beef. After doing so, he pulled out his pack and lit a cigarette. :facepalm:

I've also been lectured about eating dairy products and, especially, drinking milk. Usually by veggie lovers who somehow think if I drink a glass of milk they will get sick. I'm not sure how that works.

It's called lactose intolerance...

from the NYT
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/30/...e_code=1.gk0.T1Ha.LWcJotLbZPyB&smid=url-share

I was reading this article & all of a sudden I recognized a celebrity as the main character. I remember when Nords was going through this

I keep my drinking to 3 or 4 nights a week. Typically one glass of whisky or glass of wine. We installed a bar & display shelves in our TV room after I "won" a charity auction of about 15 bottles of whisky. So that has increased my intake from about 1 drink a month. Plus we belong to at least 3 wine clubs that have quarterly shipments. We have a lot of wineries nearby & it's easy to go out tasting

Has your consumption increased after retirement? Is it something you are worried about?

Health became my addiction when I quit drinking. I realized I was basically just posioning myself everytime, I never blacked out, but my consumption levels were unhealthy, and some of my decision making under the influence was quastionable at best. With a family history, I decided my life would be better without alcohol.

That was 13 year's ago. Nord and I are on the right path! Does he still stop in here?

Kgtest, Nords posted on this thread back in the beginning.

Bingo.

I feel so much more pure and healthy since I quit drinking. I hope I have the right support later in life if dementia sets in to stay pure. Time will tell.

What an insightful article!

My mother would take a tipple of Southern Comfort almost every night. Thanks to dementia in her last years it was probably one of the few little pleasures she still enjoyed and looked forward to.

At one point my sister called a social services nurse who had seen my mother in the past. We were concerned she was becoming an alcoholic. The nurse asked us "At her age (nearly 90) and given her mental condition does that bother you more than it harms her?" The answer was yes. She enjoyed her shot of Southern Comfort in the evening. And it was just that, one shot. She finally passed at 92.

Chuckanut, I totally agree that one shot a day certainly didn’t hurt your mom. Dementia is such a horrible disease. Most people that quit drinking do so because they are drinking too much, have a family history or have health conditions that make it the better choice.

I used to have wine after work. It was part of "relaxing " in the evening- like kicking off uncomfortable high heels. Lately alcohol interferes with my sleep. If I have to choose between a glass of wine and sleeping well, I choose sleeping well every time. I have an occasional drink, but far less than I did while working. I just don't seem to like it as much anymore.

That was 13 year's ago. Nord and I are on the right path! Does he still stop in here?

Whenever his name is mentioned.

Well, I’m subscribed to this thread, and I usually stop by every week or so to search for keywords.

Bingo.

I feel so much more pure and healthy since I quit drinking. I hope I have the right support later in life if dementia sets in to stay pure. Time will tell.

What an insightful article!
To be clear, I stopped drinking when I realized that alcohol was a lethal combination with my father’s early-stage Alzheimer’s. When he showed signs of early dementia, he refused all help from my brother and me and insisted on continuing to live alone in his apartment.

His short-term memory loss of what he’d drunk meant that he kept drinking until he passed out in his recliner without eating dinner. When he finally burned an ulcerous hole in his digestive system, it was clear that he could no longer live independently. He was malnourished, underweight, and had lost his muscle tone. The surgeon saw the classic symptoms of alcoholism and, after more interviews of Dad, the surgeon updated his diagnosis to Alzheimer’s.

You submarine veterans know what we can do with equipment logs. While Dad was in the recovery room and I was catching up on his unpaid bills, I did the math on his credit-card charges at the Liquor Barn. (He only had six months of charge receipts.) He’d also largely stopped buying groceries and his refrigerator was nearly empty. His calories were coming from lunch at a local restaurant a few times a week... and from alcohol.

I’m not sure we can confirm that alcohol accelerates dementia, but the dementia certainly affected his alcohol habits.

I was 50 years old when Dad’s surgeon described how they’d nearly lost him on the operating table. By then I’d already noticed that if I had two beers with dinner, I didn’t accomplish anything constructive with the rest of the evening. It was also slowing my performance at taekwondo and prolonging my recovery from workouts.

Even worse, it was waking me up at night from both my bladder and my blood-sugar levels.

My father’s father also spent 14 years in a care facility with dementia. My paternal genome is not my destiny, but I think it makes sense to leave my old alcohol habits behind me. As I tell my family & friends, “I’ve drunk my lifetime quota of alcohol-- and most of your lifetime quota too.”

I rarely drank hard liquor and stopped drinking decades ago. I just don't care for the taste so it didn't matter. I even gave away a full bottle of Johnny Walker Blue that I was given as a gift. I rarely ever drink wine since I never developed a palate for the difference between expensive and cheap. I do enjoy a beer on occasion (maybe one a couple of times a month as long as it is a stout or porter. Even then if it isn't one of the few brands/flavors I like I will pass on that. And never during the day or I will be too tired to do anything productive.
I guess I did enough drinking in college and grad school with $1 bottle wine and cheap PBR/Miller to last me for decades. My wife doesn't drink any alcoholic drinks so she was always a cheap date back in the day. Lucky me.

My Dad was a functional, abusive alcoholic for many years until Mom gave him the ultimatum to get sober or get out. He went to Rehab and AA, and then he was sober for many years. When Mom passed, he started drinking heavily again. I'm pretty sure drinking contributed to his death 8 months after Mom died.

I drink occasionally, but I limit it to 1 drink, if not at home, or 2 drinks, if at home. IIRC, I've had 1 drink so far in 2024.

I'm not anti-drinking or pro-drinking, but I do not tolerate those who cannot control their drinking. I've seen and experienced first hand how bad things can happen quickly to those near an alcoholic.

Diet soda is still way better than sugared soda. It is only poison if you are a lab rat where they are pumped 500 times what human consume in a day of sugar alternatives.

I grew up drinking sugared soda and switched to diet soda. For the past year, I have stopped all sodas. I don't feel the difference physically but psychologically I feel so much better.

Actually many medical professionals are alarmed at the long term effects of diet soda. I have read in several medical journals that diet soda can contribute to bone thinning/osteoporosis and metobolic issues. In everyone? Nope. Just like many things, it likely hits those already genetically pre-disposed, I suppose. But I'm not convinced the only risk is to rats force fed with 500x the daily dose.

My take (for what it's worth as someone with zero medical credentials): the majority of food and drink choices seem to pose SOME sort of risk - even many "natural" foods. Although I do agree sugar is probably one of the riskiest.

Last edited:
I wonder how many here have lost friends due to the friends drinking?
I've lost a couple throughout the years. One in particular got somewhat abusive to me when he was drinking which was often when we were together. I bailed on that friendship pretty quickly and haven't seen or talked to him in over 20 years. Don't miss putting up with that.

I've lost a couple throughout the years. One in particular got somewhat abusive to me when he was drinking which was often when we were together. I bailed on that friendship pretty quickly and haven't seen or talked to him in over 20 years. Don't miss putting up with that.

I lost my best friend in Connecticut due to prolonged and excessive drinking. By the time he was in his 60's, the booze got to his brain and he developed dementia and got worse after that. Then passed in a care facility.

My aunt was dying from cirrhosis while my mom was in labor with me. My dad spent the day running back and forth between their rooms. Lots of dead relatives on my dad’s side of the family that I never met because they were dead. One froze to death because he fell in a ditch in winter in Wisconsin and couldn’t get out.

My dad was very careful and only drank occasionally when out with friends. I did have a neighbor that when drunk he would throw away his dishes instead of washing them:)). He eventually got sober. My mom didn’t have any alcoholics on her side of the family and never had any issues. In her senior years she had a glass of wine in the evening while watching tv.

People have developed alcohol induced dementia from excessive drinking . It used to be called “wet brain “ in the old days. Basically their brains shrink from excessive drinking and they loose their ability to make decisions thus they can’t even decide to quit at that point.

Here weed is legal and has been touted as much healthier than alcohol. However, studies are starting to show that weed causes cardiac issues in some people. It also can make anxiety worse just like alcohol over time. It makes sense that if something alters your brain there will be negative consequences.

As time passes and more studies are done people will have better information on all the downsides. I do think it should be legal as people can make their own decisions. For some people with chronic illnesses such as cancer it can really improve their quality of life.

Last edited:
I have missed out on many social opportunities, especially with other women, because watching and hearing people's personalities change as they drink makes me uncomfortable.

It is not the same as "disapproving of drinking" in a moral, let alone religious sense. It is personal distaste, tinged with a bit of fear, for loud voices, screechy laughter, and all the rest of it. And I have felt this way since childhood, watching certain older relatives and parents' friends change before my eyes as the "cocktails" went down.

In fact, it surprises me that I was modestly popular in college, given that I limited myself to one beer or drink at parties, and always escaped with my date when people started getting drunk. I think I was just naturally silly enough to cover up my sobriety ;^> People kept inviting me to parties!

I'm not anti-drinking or pro-drinking, but I do not tolerate those who cannot control their drinking. I've seen and experienced first hand how bad things can happen quickly to those near an alcoholic.

Back
Top Bottom