Yoga to improve bone density, osteoporosis

Osprey

Recycles dryer sheets
I am thinking of trying yoga to help improve my bone density. There was a study indicating that yoga can improve bone density. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions on resources for yoga instruction geared toward osteoporosis?

Yoga can be done alone at home, but it is best to learn from a trained instructor in person. There are basic principles of breathing/posture/alignment that are important to prevent injury.

I don’t think there is any specific practice to build bone density, rather it is the weight-bearing exercise that helps. Yoga has aspects of strength building, flexibility, and relaxation. All can contribute to physical fitness and well being.

I recommend you start with a beginner’s class offered by the YMCA or local senior center. Even if it’s not specifically for seniors, good instructors will offer modifications to poses so that all can be comfortable,

I highly recommend a beginners class. One of my great frustrations with Yoga instructors was and still is how they often combine all levels because 'my methods can be adapted'. Not really. So while the experienced folks move confidently from pose to pose, the beginner struggles with the basics, and ends up looking around the classroom at others desperately trying to figure out what they are supposed to do. It was truly a frustrating experience for me.

I finally found a good instructor who understood that newbies need some time to learn the basics. Alas, Covid put an end to that class. Now I use videos which I can pause while I practice. It's much better.

The key to building bone is for the muscles to pull strongly on the bones. That forces the bones to become stronger to deal with the stress of the muscles. So I am told.

Last edited:
There was a study that found that 12 specific yoga poses were helpful vs osteoporosis. If you Google Dr Loren Fishman or search on YouTube you can find them.

I don’t do yoga regularly (though I know I should!), but I do take a supplement called AlgeaCal from Canada. There is quite a following about it on Facebook if interested in learning more and they also have an extensive website with research to back it up. Many many people have had good success slowly building bone while on it.

Good for you for looking into yoga! I've been taking a class 1-2x/week for about 20 years. I don't have any clinical data myself that it helps bone density, but it can't hurt since I'm at risk.

I HIGHLY recommend you try Iyengar yoga. It's a 'branch' of yoga that's very focused on proper body alignment and using props to help. The teachers have to complete very rigorous training to get certified to teach. They really know what they're doing. Too many of the other yoga styles and teachers out there can lead to injury, especially for older folks.
Here's a link to find a studio/teacher near you. With the pandemic, many are now also teaching remotely (including Jewel Yoga in Portland, where I go).

https://www.iyanc.org/find-a-teacher

Yoga can be done alone at home, but it is best to learn from a trained instructor in person. There are basic principles of breathing/posture/alignment that are important to prevent injury.

+1. Very important to be properly aligned! And your body will get more out of it as a result.

I recommend you start with a beginner’s class offered by the YMCA or local senior center. Even if it’s not specifically for seniors, good instructors will offer modifications to poses so that all can be comfortable,
+1 Great idea. A local community college may also offer yoga via community ed classes.

Another poster noted that some yoga classes are spendy. That's pretty true for Iyengar. But IMO the Iyengar teaching is worth the cost. It's preventive maintenance for my health, like eating really good quality food, so a good investment.

Thanks for all the input! I’m gonna try to sign up for a yoga class at our local senior center and also try one of the YouTube videos on Dr Fishman’s 12 yoga poses to improve bone density.

There is no licensing or certifications for yoga instructors that I am aware of, as least in my state. I have taken classes in the past and didn't feel the yoga instructors I went to had any special knowledge one couldn't get from reading a yoga book or two, and one instructor was actually recommending pretty dicey poses, like head stands, for beginners. YMMV.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input! I’m gonna try to sign up for a yoga class at our local senior center and also try one of the YouTube videos on Dr Fishman’s 12 yoga poses to improve bone density.
Once you have learned how to do these basic poses properly from your class, I notice they use them a lot in the Apple Fitness yoga videos. Gaia Yoga is another good online video resource.

In early October I signed up for yoga at my local senior center. I go 2 mornings/week and really enjoy the instructor and the social interaction with others.

I supplement these classes with my Medicare supplement’s Silver Sneakers “live” classes offered via Zoom.

These are yoga, yoga/Pilates fusion, and other classes offered 7/days a week. I hook my iPad up to my TV and get to work.

I like getting out a couple of days a week for class and am adding pickleball to the mix in November, but I also appreciate the chance to walk a few steps and enjoy live classes in my own home. The Silver Sneakers instructors I’ve had are great!

There is no licensing or certifications for yoga instructors that I am aware of, as least in my state. I have taken classes in the past and didn't feel the yoga instructors I went to had any special knowledge one couldn't get from reading a yoga book or two, and one instructor was actually recommending pretty dicey poses, like head stands, for beginners. YMMV.

My experience as well. This is why I suggested seeking out Iyengar instructors. They do have special knowledge/training/certification, and would never have beginners do head stands!

Back
Top Bottom