Bond Dividend Allocation

True, but to be clear, the market value of your bond portfolio would change in pricing due to changes in interest rates so the value of your portfolio woudl change... it is just that the value will eventually converge back to par value at maturity for any individual bond.

...and that right there is the big difference. I know the value of what my bond will be when it matures. There is no par and no maturity date for a fund.
If you are buying bonds as a foundational source of income, quality bonds are pretty safe and pretty precise if you have sufficient funds to buy enough for diversity.
I also agree with NJHowie in that I can pick cherries of small lots that the big boys don’t bother with. I have many of my bonds in 5, 10, 15, 20 lot increments.

If someone doesn’t mind the floating nature of the NAV of a fund, go for it.

Last edited:
I just read this entire thread. Wow. So much knowledge. When I RE I’m going to devote weeks or months to learning all about this market.

One question: what kind of extra yield do you think you get from searching for these great deals (njhowie or others?) vs buying a muni bond fund.

I guess the benefit is that if these are held to
Maturity you aren’t at the whim of a fund changing in pricing due to major market forces. Hypothetically, what if fund price didn’t move and fund was yelling a steady 1.5%.do you think you are getting 3%
Or 4%. Just really curious.

Those on this thread are masters of this craft.

I have a single state intermediate muni fund with average rankings from Morningstar with ~2.2% distribution yield paid monthly. I like that yield as I think of this as a MM fund but I learned the hard way not to reinvest. Because of reinvesting and other factors my performance in this fund is <1% total in 4 yrs.

My individual bonds distribute >4% paid out in chunks every 6 months. The price performance is +2-12% and hardly ever dips below my cost. I can line up the maturities alongside my CD ladder since i am transitioning to distribution mode.

I presume you also read the other thread titled "Muni Bonds (and Bond Funds)" which has even more knowledge form the experts.

From the Bloomberg article on Yahoo! Finance.....”the drop in the municipal market is leaving investors receiving far less compensation than they did when the Fed cut rates near zero after the last recession”

It sounds like existing bond holders are receiving less compensation. I think bonds are confusing enough without imprecise descriptions of the current environment for bonds. Otherwise it’s a good piece but nothing we didn’t know already as previously described.

Fed policy change on inflation

If you haven't already heard the news, go read up on what Powell said today regarding the Fed's change regarding how they will approach inflation.

The upshot is that we should prepare for a long period of low interest rates.

Now, with that being said, treasuries continued moving higher, as they have the past few days. This doesn't make too much sense, in that if interest rates will be (guaranteed to be) kept at/near zero, then there's no reason for yields to move higher. The only logic which comes to mind is that ultimately the Fed will create the inflation it wants, overshoot the target rate (as indicated in today's announcement), and ultimately that will mean the Fed will then raise rates to combat it. However, that is way, way, way down the road. For the time being, it doesn't make much sense for treasury yields to move higher. However, at this time, everything the Fed has tried to induce inflation has failed. So, again, it's questionable why treasury yields have begun to move higher.

Notwithstanding, I will not look a gift horse in the mouth. I did notice today for the first time in a while that some muni prices moved lower (yields higher) - not a lot, but I did notice some weakness in prices which I have not seen in a while.

I received a couple of calls today for October 1 and one for July next year (just defeased today). I purchased some insured 6.6% 2041 San Jose, CA Airport bonds early this morning. Last month they said they have two years worth of cash burn on hand. Additionally, it is a high coupon, so the likelihood is that it will be called in March. There is also a non-insured version of this bond which has popped up the past couple weeks for about the same price. If the price is the same, then I'll take the insured over the non-insured. I already had some of these, so when more popped up today, I didn't need to do any research as I was already familiar with the specifics of them.

I have not found many bargains lately, so I have continued taking those which offer some positive yield with a short-term call date. One that I took this morning was 6.45% 2035 AAA-rated Dallas, TX GO school bonds. Call date is February with YTC of 0.05% - essentially nothing, but still better than the 0.01% I'd get for sitting in cash, and the potential they don't call and I get a higher yield after the call date.

Anything halfway decent that pops up and has a coupon of 5% or higher should be grabbed if it has a positive yield to call in the next year or two. I believe these are extremely safe as there is very high likelihood they will be called. Everyone is going to be looking to refinance at the rock-bottom rates currently available.

I’ve been too distracted to delve into the Fed’s statement but I heard several talking heads with similar interpretation as yours. My reaction was “did anyone actually expect rates to rise significantly in the near term”?

I think the Fed feels compelled to make statements and they just keep saying the same thing over and over in different ways.

I gave up trying to find attractive offers and I’m out of dry powder anyway.

I think the Fed feels compelled to make statements and they just keep saying the same thing over and over in different ways.

I gave up trying to find attractive offers and I’m out of dry powder anyway.

Agreed. They have previously mentioned a willingness to let things "run hot" to even out the amount of time below the 2% target. Maybe now they've just formalized it as policy?

My gut reaction is that the Fed has already lost control, and it's just a matter of when things blow up, what will triggger it, and what will be the end result? I just don't get all the happy talk around the stock market, the daily justifications for the indexes going up, etc. Things are going to get much worse for the economy before they get better. Too many folks still equate the economy with the stock market. I saw a story that basically said the entire market rise can be attributed to Apple. Everything else is just a wash.

I have little choice but to stay active and continue looking for those attractive offers as I have 10% of my portfolio maturing or being called between now and year end. That's just what is currently locked in. There's another 20% to 25% of my portfolio which potentially could be called and leave me with even more cash. I really don't want to be sitting on 30% to 35% cash, but if there isn't anything worth investing in, I'll be ok with it.

I closed out a 401k and moved the funds to an IRA MM fund while I decide how to replicate the positions I held in the 401k. Now I can't stomach buying equities at these levels. I might need to consider muni bonds even though it is tax deferred.

I closed out a 401k and moved the funds to an IRA MM fund while I decide how to replicate the positions I held in the 401k. Now I can't stomach buying equities at these levels. I might need to consider muni bonds even though it is tax deferred.

Buying muni’s in deferred accounts makes them taxable. Don’t do it.

Buying muni’s in deferred accounts makes them taxable. Don’t do it.

yeah I know but I got the idea from some members here. I have not run the numbers but it could easily beat other fixed income options, I think.

Taxable munis for that purpose. Works wonderfully.

Additionally, sometimes, there are situations where the tax free muni will offer better terms and return than comparable quality taxable munis available at the time. In these cases, the fact that the income will be taxable is a non-issue in my view.

Recently, I have purchased a couple of tax free issues to be held inside my IRA. Here is one:

3464242M5 - Forney, TX Unlimited Tax Refunding Bonds, 8/15/2047, GO, Zero Coupon, Insured

YTC = 1.3% for 48 months
YTM = 5.89%

https://emma.msrb.org/Security/Details/3464242M5

I also purchased 2039, and 2040 maturities, both also GO, Zero Coupon, and Insured

For the 2039:
346424X41
YTC = 1.16% for 36 months
YTM = 5.37%

For the 2040:
3464242V5
YTC = 2.67% for 56 months (purchased back in December)
YTM = 6.14%

Based on the pricing/yields, my belief is that all of them are being priced for the YTC. For tax free issues, the YTM is quite high. I have taxables of lesser quality with the same maturities with similar/lower YTC/YTM.

Last edited:
....I have not found many bargains lately, so I have continued taking those which offer some positive yield with a short-term call date. One that I took this morning was 6.45% 2035 AAA-rated Dallas, TX GO school bonds. Call date is February with YTC of 0.05% - essentially nothing, but still better than the 0.01% I'd get for sitting in cash, and the potential they don't call and I get a higher yield after the call date. ...

Online savings accounts are 0.8%, so why not do that with cash? Or with a little bit more risk those Dominion Energy commercial paper shares pay ebout 2% for $50k+ IIRC.

Online savings accounts are 0.8%, so why not do that with cash? Or with a little bit more risk those Dominion Energy commercial paper shares pay ebout 2% for $50k+ IIRC.

0.8% (with potential to go lower) is not enough incentive. I would rather sit in cash and wait for muni opportunities to arise. I am quite confident that I will be able to make more than 0.8%/year even if I need to wait to find acceptable munis.

Further, IRA accounts are at Fidelity, not looking to move to bank/CU for less than 1%...for which I'd need to open another IRA at the bank/CU and then roll over some portion of each of the Fidelity IRAs. Then if/when I'd want to not be in an online savings account, it would be more time/effort to roll back to Fidelity. Way, way too much effort for peanuts in return.

Also not looking for a corporate alternative - even if commercial paper. Not for such ridiculously low yields.

I am extremely comfortable with the munis.

Ok gave it some thought and my single state muni fund is looking better and better. Distribution yield is ~2.2%, duration 5.5. I’m no longer reinvesting monthly dividends. That’s my ready access cash account at Fido.

I’m probably dipping into the MYGA pool for IRA funds in 5 months when those 10 yr penfed CDs mature.

Ok gave it some thought and my single state muni fund is looking better and better. Distribution yield is ~2.2%, duration 5.5. I’m no longer reinvesting monthly dividends. That’s my ready access cash account at Fido.

You'll be fine for the next 6 months. I won't speculate about what may happen further out.

Back
Top Bottom