Nibbling along the edges?

It's been many years since I owned shares of BUD, and have not looked at it since. Wow, it has not been anywhere for more than 5 years. In fact, it just got back to where it was 6 years ago. I don't know its fundamental to see why it's so bad.

It’s North American business is facing a lot of challenges. Globally it’s okay, but overall it isn’t really a growth business. Given its price today, it doesn’t really need growth to give an acceptable return.

The dividend is likely to provide the bulk of its return.

The dividend of 5.52% did catch my eye. But how do they pay that with a P/E of 21?

The dividend of 5.52% did catch my eye. But how do they pay that with a P/E of 21?

There are a lot of moving parts to that P/E with the acquisitions and sales of various businesses and brands. It’s hard to say what their steady state P/E actually is right now, as it will depend on the success of their recent acquisitions. I obviously hope it is lower than 21.

Note too that they aren’t necessarily locked into maintaining a specific dividend rate like most companies are. Their dividend in the spring of 2016 was more than the dividend in the spring of 2017. It was higher again in 2018.

It's been many years since I owned shares of BUD, and have not looked at it since. Wow, it has not been anywhere for more than 5 years. In fact, it just got back to where it was 6 years ago. I don't know its fundamental to see why it's so bad.

Two words, Whiskey, and Craft. I think that's what's cutting into the margin, but I haven't drank booze in over a decade so maybe I am wrong.

Two words, Whiskey, and Craft. I think that's what's cutting into the margin, but I haven't drank booze in over a decade so maybe I am wrong.

Craft is definitely taking share in the US market. BUD is showing decent growth in the rest of the world though.

Craft is definitely taking share in the US market. BUD is showing decent growth in the rest of the world though.

It would be interesting to know who actually buys the product. I love beer but not Bud. I’m not a craft beer guy either. They actually make fun of someone ordering an autumnal mead in one of the dilly dilly ads with a tag line of “Bud light...for the masses”. The stock is interesting but just don’t care for the product.

I went to mostly cash the beginning of the month. I find myself nibbling a bit today and have bought around 10% (SPY). Anybody else thinking we are close to a bottom?

i am mostly invested in the market

but no i don't think this is the bottom (this year ) yet

i would like to see a thorough rest of a 10% dip and am prepared for a 20% dip before Xmas ( but there is no guarantee on that )

according to some October is a big month for share buy-backs , but will that save 'shock-tober ' or will the companies start reducing debt this year

The nibbling did turn positive. Only pennies though.

I bought several 100k of SPY on the dip. It does not turn positive till SPY is 279 and I will be heading for the exits by the time it hit's the 50 day MA or sooner if the MACD gets above 75.

I bought several 100k of SPY on the dip. It does not turn positive till SPY is 279 and I will be heading for the exits by the time it hit's the 50 day MA or sooner if the MACD gets above 75.
Nice call. Up for now, last 30min before bell will tell. Congrats!

I have not added up all that I bought in the last few weeks. It's a bit more than $100K. Bought too early, so only a small fraction of that has made me money.

Still have $67K that may be assigned from put options. If the market keeps rising, I will be spared from having to buy more and getting my stock AA up.

Will also look to reduce my holdings. Conquering fear is not enough. Greed must also be overcome.

After I read this, I sold mine. Made about 1% on small amount of money. Hey it beats MMM.

Thanks, actually I suspect I won't hit the sell button till Friday, depending on the netflix earnings announcement tonight?
I wish I’m brave enough to initiate a trade on Netflix, I have no idea what to do except I know there will be sharp move, up or down. However, I sold out last month and now it’s a lot lower than when I sold out.

EDIT to add, NETFLIX is up sharply after house, almost plus $50, more than 10%. My guess is the market will be up tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have never had the FAANG stocks (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google). The earning I am waiting to see is that of Lam Research, to be released shortly after market close today.

If LRCX does badly, there will hell to pay in the semiconductor shares that I own. Micron Technology capex is something close to $10B. Intel capex is even higher. What cash Tesla needs is peanuts compared to what these semi guys spend on their factories.

PS. Tesla never made money, but Micron P/E is less than 4. Take that, Musk.

Last edited:
I have never had the FAANG stocks (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google). The earning I am waiting to see is from Lam Research, to be released shortly after market close today.

If LRCX does badly, there will hell to pay in the semiconductor shares that I own. Micron Technology capex is something close to $10B. Intel capex is even higher. What cash Tesla needs is peanuts compared to what these semi guys spend.

PS. Tesla never made money, but Micron P/E is less than 4. Take that, Musk.

I admire you for holding on to these semiconductor stocks. I’ve been out of AMD and INTC. INTC was recently, but AMD a while back.
Let’s hope tech stocks go back up this week. My kid’s RSUs can get a good bounce.

Last edited:
Semi stocks had a wonderful run up in 2017. That's how my return last year was 20%, despite a diversified portfolio at 70% stock AA.

This year, they have not been doing so well despite making money over fist, because people say that they are topping out. It could be true, but I have been writing out-of-the-money covered calls on them, and manage to reduce my losses.

The revenue drop was already anticipated.

The reported revenue and earnings both surpass the estimates. Forward guidance was also good. The stock jumped 6% in after-hour trading.

Last edited:
Yea, Lamb was looking good after hours. I used to be very exposed to semi's as my largest holding was LLTC which was acquired by ADI (mostly for cash). Even the small stock part of the deal was enough where it is still almost 5% of my individual stock holdings, and it plus QCOM, INTC, CSCO, OLED and some modest play money in CY, MRVL together are about 12-13% of my individual equities.

OLED is the most recent addition, I bought some of it at around $92 and then down at $81-$82, and fortunately it has had a decent move upward.

I wish I’m brave enough to initiate a trade on Netflix, I have no idea what to do except I know there will be sharp move, up or down. However, I sold out last month and now it’s a lot lower than when I sold out.

EDIT to add, NETFLIX is up sharply after house, almost plus $50, more than 10%. My guess is the market will be up tomorrow.

I’m so glad I closed on this trade a few weeks ago. Today, NETFLIX is lower than when I sold. Plus the premium would be decaying.

Back
Top Bottom