Roundabout Hate & Related investment Idea ?

I didn't create the definitions, they are not personal.
The FHWA, the Transportation Research Board, and Institute of Transportation Engineers are the governing/advisory groups for roadway design and modern roundabouts are as distinct a subset of circular roadways as roses are a subset of flowers.

The FHWA has a video about modern roundabouts on Youtube.

MUTCD graphics Chapter 3C - MUTCD 2009 Edition - FHWA

A movie. Who knew?

It is my impression that the majority of the people who have posted on this thread understood the initial post to refer to rotaries, circles and roundabouts interchangeably and have commented in light of that understanding. You want to narrow the definition to exclude the ones that don't conform to your own preferences. The 'No True Scotsman' fallacy comes to mind.

+100

donabbott.jpg

Had to be a traffic circle or rotary, not a modern roundabout.
If any of the entry lanes has a stop sign, it’s not a modern roundabout.
If you could play a game of football in the center landscaped area, it’s not a modern roundabout.
If the circular roadway has a stop sign, yield sign or signal, it’s not a modern roundabout.
If you don’t have to slow down to enter it, it’s not a modern roundabout.
If you have to change lanes in the circular roadway to exit, it’s not a modern roundabout.
If you can easily drive faster than 20 mph in the circular roadway, it’s not a modern roundabout.
If it has a park for pedestrians, or a building, in the middle, it’s not a modern roundabout.

Now that we have the definition of "modern roundabout", and know that there are technical definitions of all this stuff we know what you mean.

That said the term "modern roundabout" was introduced in this thread pretty late in the game (yesterday) BY YOU and prior to that only roundabout, circle, rotary, etc were used. So it's pretty clear that you are the only one referring to "modern roundabouts".

I understand this is your professional specialty. And you like modern roundabouts as a solution. But you have to understand that you are talking to lay people. We misuse terms, but amazingly, most of us understood each other.

It's ok for people to vent about a pet peeve. It's ok for you to disagree with them, and educate them. But unless they state "modern roundabout" - assume they are talking about the more common forms of circular intersections. Especially since "modern roundabouts" are fairly rare here in the USA.

I actually like roundabouts, got sent to South Africa, had to learn to drive the other way round. Lots of roundabouts, a Brit taught me how, pretty easy when everyone knows how to use them. Part of the problem in the states is many folks don't know how to navigate.

Roundabouts are great provided at least these three things are true:
- rules for the roundabouts are consistent
- drivers understand the rules of how to drive in roundabouts
- drivers can actually follow the rules and laws of driving.

169083_66fc0a035a3387a16a036639dbc5151c_large.jpg

Imagine trying to navigate the above roundabout in the US :facepalm:
It was fun my first time.

What the heck! That's insane!

By far the scariest most insane roundabout I've ever been on is the Arc de Triomphe circle!

The scariest traffic I've been in was Mumbai, fortunately I wasn't doing the driving. They don't need no stinking roundabouts.

By far the scariest most insane roundabout I've ever been on is the Arc de Triomphe circle!

I remember that roundabout being scary even back in 1954! :LOL:

Well, I was only 6, but my parents were scared by the crazy drivers and fender benders, and I figured that if they were scared, I probably should be too. :eek:

Last edited:
The scariest traffic I've been in was Mumbai, fortunately I wasn't doing the driving. They don't need no stinking roundabouts.

That's amazing. It looks scary to me because I don't understand the informal rules they are using. This is the problem in many areas of the world. You don't know the local rules until you've driven the local roads for a while.

The core issue is that most US drivers don't know how to deal with a roundabout/traffic circles short of the little ones used as traffic calmers in residential areas (FYI" expert", yes they may only calm traffic for 100 feet on either direction but Portland's residential blocks are often 400 feet long where those circles have been constructed - hard to gain much acceleration). Traffic experts need to ask their Motor Vehicle folks to tell drivers what to do.

In Portland Metro we have a lot of traffic experts who don't consider the human factor when they do what they do. Drivers are getting frustrated as we deal with cyclist lanes and strange turning markers ... let alone traffic circles. What looks good on paper doesn't translate to those of us behind the wheel. Theory shmerry....

Back
Top Bottom