So we FINALLY have a SEC approved BTC ETF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped for focus.

I said way upthread that blockchain technology is something I might invest in. I think the technology is revolutionary and will be used widely in finance and commerce.

I would have to decide if untraceability is better than traceability. If I'm not doing anything illegal then the none of the professionals involved in the transfer process are going to care. If I am paying my taxes and complying with the law then the government can get a warrant to look into what I am doing. I don't like that idea but I am not at risk from it.

So I don't understand rational people using bitcoin and incurring risks and inconveniences with only intangible benefits. I don't mean the folks who bought a few when they were cheap and novel or to earn a discount as someone mentioned. I just question why a rational person, even someone who deeply values privacy, gets in their head that they need to send bitcoin rather than dollars, pesos, pounds, euros, or whatever.

It's a free country. If people want to own bitcoin or invest in it they should be allowed to. It's just not something I have any interest in.

It doesn't really make sense to say you will "invest in blockchain". This is like saying "I will invest in the internet". Blockchain describes a mathematical concept, not an actual investable asset class per se.

You are naive if you think you are not "at risk" from the Government knowing how you are spending or storing Government issued money. It may not be obvious, but you are already being harmed significantly from the Government knowing your finances - taxes being but one obvious example. Government encroachment and control over our lives can become even more sinister and insidious over time, once we see a Government issued digital currency. Watch what happens in China in the next few years as an example.

As for the "folks who bought a few coins when they were cheap", its quite possible that when you look back in a decade, the value of a Satoshi will seem ridiculously cheap at current valuations. If the logarithmic growth of adoption playing out on bitcoin continues, it would reach phenomenal value over time, realized by many only in hindsight.

Noted you have no interest in owning Bitcoin. But that may be the problem - ie - you probably should be taking an interest in this. You still have the opportunity of becoming a whole-coiner, which in the future could be a major distinguishing factor of social class, intellect, political values, and wealth. The irony is that you are in a 1st world and "free country", with some obvious intelligence, and with the means to secure this status, and yet we have literally Billions who will be scrambling and scrapping away to acquire Sats with ever increasing effort as time passes.

I've seen people with your type of resistance when BTC was at $6, $60, $6000, $60000 etc. Trust me - it never seems like a "good time to buy" when something seems to have grown so strongly! I would urge you to dip you feet into the market, if only for the experience. It may just open your thinking in relation to money to an entirely new mental framework. Old dogs learning new tricks and all that... :)

Last edited:
I think everyone needs to take a deep breath here. The SEC has NOT yet approved an ETF that actually holds bitcoins - it has approved an ETF that holds bitcoin FUTURES (which have been trading for a couple of years now). Note that GBTC, a very liquid exchange-traded bitcoin trust (which actually holds bitcoins) is still trading at about a 17% discount to its NAV. Approval of an ETF that holds bitcoin futures (which are cash-settled with no delivery) has done nothing to remove the possible premium/discount to GBTC's NAV. Hence, GBTC and other similar exchange-traded products will continue to trade like closed-end mutual funds. As I see it, there is no arbitrage available to insure that a bitcoin futures ETF will trade at the actual spot bitcoin price plus a cost-of-carry the way the SPY ETF does realtive to the S&P 500.

There’s some very heady rhetoric in this thread, so it might be helpful to remind members that just because everyone talks about something does not mean that topic is worth talking about. This is not something anyone “needs” to own or invest it.

Bitcoin and other cryptos have no intrinsic value, they only have imputed value. This is not like the California gold rush in one important way - gold had intrinsic value, while cryptos have none.

They are not part of our regulated financial system. They are not a regulated means of payment or store of value. This new ETF may be a baby step in that direction, but it does not mean there is any regulation of crypto.

No major US bank has endorsed any crypto, treats or acknowledges it as anything other than a speculative trading option. Their traders may be promoting crypto, but then again, they would endorse investing in mud if there was a profit to be made.

Over the next year a crypto may increase in value by 10X or lose 100%, and neither outcome should surprise anyone. Only one thing is certain. As a speculative asset, it’s price will not remain stable; speculative asset prices are always moving toward the extremes.

To believe the financial system could collapse and currency loses it value yet these cryptos retain their value is silly. If currency loses its value due to excess, what holds value is food, land, energy and other commodities, perhaps precious metals, and most importantly, the means of production. This is why intrinsic value matters.

So go ahead and buy if you are so inclined, because these cryptos may be an opportunity to make some money. Just don’t get caught up by the rhetoric and be fully aware of the risks. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
I think everyone needs to take a deep breath here. The SEC has NOT yet approved an ETF that actually holds bitcoins - it has approved an ETF that holds bitcoin FUTURES (which have been trading for a couple of years now). Note that GBTC, a very liquid exchange-traded bitcoin trust (which actually holds bitcoins) is still trading at about a 17% discount to its NAV. Approval of an ETF that holds bitcoin futures (which are cash-settled with no delivery) has done nothing to remove the possible premium/discount to GBTC's NAV. Hence, GBTC and other similar exchange-traded products will continue to trade like closed-end mutual funds. As I see it, there is no arbitrage available to insure that a bitcoin futures ETF will trade at the actual spot bitcoin price plus a cost-of-carry the way the SPY ETF does realtive to the S&P 500.

Correct currently what has been approved futures ETFs. The next step is obviously a spot ETF (Greyscale has filed for one and is working hard with the SEC to obtain approval).

All these are simply small steps along the journey of broader adoption and acceptance of Bitcoin. As investors we really just need to make one simple assessment - will Bitcoin see broader adoption and demand over time. If so, the price will go up (as supply is limited).

I read today a new ETF based on Bitcoin proper is launching, but it is from Guernsey (Channel Islands), so I don't know how they regulate things over there.

There’s some very heady rhetoric in this thread, so it might be helpful to remind members that just because everyone talks about something does not mean that topic is worth talking about. This is not something anyone “needs” to own or invest it.

Bitcoin and other cryptos have no intrinsic value, they only have imputed value. This is not like the California gold rush in one important way - gold had intrinsic value, while cryptos have none.

They are not part of our regulated financial system. They are not a regulated means of payment or store of value. This new ETF may be a baby step in that direction, but it does not mean there is any regulation of crypto.

No major US bank has endorsed any crypto, treats or acknowledges it as anything other than a speculative trading option. Their traders may be promoting crypto, but then again, they would endorse investing in mud if there was a profit to be made.

Over the next year a crypto may increase in value by 10X or lose 100%, and neither outcome should surprise anyone. Only one thing is certain. As a speculative asset, it’s price will not remain stable; speculative asset prices are always moving toward the extremes.

To believe the financial system could collapse and currency loses it value yet these cryptos retain their value is silly. If currency loses its value due to excess, what holds value is food, land, energy and other commodities, perhaps precious metals, and most importantly, the means of production. This is why intrinsic value matters.

So go ahead and buy if you are so inclined, because these cryptos may be an opportunity to make some money. Just don’t get caught up by the rhetoric and be fully aware of the risks. Caveat emptor.

"Need" is subjective word. No one "needs" to own gold, or stock, or a house either. The issue we are all trying to figure out is whether as a sensible investor who wants to preserve (or grow) our wealth, we should have some exposure to Bitcoin.

You are correct that Bitcoin has no intrinsic value. It does not produce a yield. Similar to gold, its "value" is dependent on others are willing to pay for it. So, as investors we really just need to make one simple assessment and ask -will Bitcoin see broader adoption and demand over time?. If so, the price will go up (as supply is limited).

The USD also has no intrinsic value either by the way. The paper (or now primarily money owed to you by a bank as recorded on their IT system), is worth only the value others are prepared to ascribe to it. And as we can see, that value being ascribed to it has continuously declined and eroded over time, hence the continued decrease in purchasing power that the USD has experienced over time. This decline has also continued to gather pace, hence the recent more rapid increase in inflation.

You are muddling the concept of Bitcoin and other crypto's in your statements (commonly done to obfuscate the discussion, or maybe out of innocent ignorance?). To be clear, there is only one Bitcoin, just as when we discuss currencies there is only one USD, and just like when we discuss gold, there is only one gold. However, you are making the point that we should stay away from alt-coins (essentially all infinite attempts at being a "new Bitcoin" as an investment by a promotor who leaves others holding the bag, then I am inclined to agree with you (for many reasons, both technical, legal, economic, and philosophical).

As for Bitcoin not being "part of our regulated financial system", Bitcoin is deeply integrated into US (and global) financial systems and markets already. Existing principles such as the law of contract, freedom of speech, freedom to contract, combined with the immutable application of mathematics is all that Bitcoin needs to exist and thrive just fine. Over time, as we are already seeing, more and more banks, financial institutions etc are embracing Bitcoin. We see Bloomberg presenting a BTC ticker along with other global currencies, etc etc - existing and established financial institutions really have no choice but to embrace, as if not, Bitcoin simply goes around them.

As for being a volatile asset, if we wanted zero vol to the USD we could of course just own USD. If we wanted slightly more opportunity of upside perhaps US treasuries. Further out the vol vs potential return would be corporate bonds. Then blue chips. Then smaller caps and then growth tech growth stocks. Etc.

Correct, we don’t know where Bitcoin will go in the future. But we do know that volatility can be your friend if timed right, and indeed that sometimes the most volatile assets can actually be the best performing over time. Of course this doesn’t mean we should buy something simply because it is volatile. (An asset in a long term decline can also be volatile along the way down). What it does mean though, is that we should not be put off by volatility when considering investing in an asset with an overall upward trend. In such a case (other than timing) the key is appropriate percentage of allocation.

A good example to explain this, is that despite Bitcoins vol over the last year it up 8% over the last week, 27% last month, 108% YTD, and 432% YoY. This shows the benefit of so called “hodling” - ie if you are buying something with a long term trend in mind, ignoring the short term “noise” and simply let the long term trend play out. This is what I would suggest we do, allocation a small % of our funds to a BTC hodl as a hedge of a multitude of future risks and scenarios.

As for "if we believe the financial system collapse...", you should understand that it has been exactly the collapse of value in the USD that has lead people to seek alternatives to preserve value in the first place. Hence the rise in equities, property, and the interest most of all in Bitcoin (hence its obvious outperformance of all classes). If we ever have a serious systemic collapse, either due to the archaic IT systems that power banks being hacked, or simply due to banks going bankrupt and customers making runs on cash, or hyper money printing that may occur as a result, the MASSIVE winner would be an asset with no counter party risk, which functional as a global store of value (with a public ledger, and with perfectly limited supply). This is the reason why interest and demand keeps growing for Bitcoin and why it may make sense to own some.

Last edited:
This thread is starting to resemble the early Tesla threads, but they (Tesla) actually produced and sold the cars and people are driving them. Plus, Tesla stock became a member of the S&P 500.

Does Bitcoin or crypto, in general, have that potential going for them?

This thread is starting to resemble the early Tesla threads, but they (Tesla) actually produced and sold the cars and people are driving them. Plus, Tesla stock became a member of the S&P 500.

Does Bitcoin or crypto, in general, have that potential going for them?

Lol - I didn't see that thread but I can imagine. Personally I think Tesla is MASSIVELY overvalued. Its hard to value given future possible growth, but to me back of envelope its around the $100 per share mark. Its a great company, but a great company does not justify an impossible value.

I think on almost any time basis starting at present, BTC is likely to outperform Tesla.

If you can get access to someone's private keys, then of course you can get access to their coins.

We don' have any suggestion he FBI had access to the criminal's private keys. Reports are they used the publicly available ledgers to claw back a substantial fraction of the ransom. Their capabilities migh be limied for now but give them a few years and bitcoin and every other crypto will be useless for hiding activity from the government.

From this thread and others, a crypto discussion algorithm becomes clear: If a crypto doubter writes one sentence, a crypto evangelist must write two sentences in rebuttal. One questioning paragraph gets two in reply. 8 paragraphs get 16, and so on. It’s 100% ROI!

Last edited:
It doesn't really make sense to say you will "invest in blockchain". This is like saying "I will invest in the internet". Blockchain describes a mathematical concept, not an actual investable asset class per se.
If there is a company using blockchain technology to improve security or efficiency of lawful financial transactions I might consider investing in that company. If banks start using blockchain widely to secure transactions then there will be companies helping them that make money from the service. That is how I would consider investing in blockchain.

You are naive if you think you are not "at risk" from the Government knowing how you are spending or storing Government issued money.
I live in a free country. As long as I pay my taxes, which I happily do to enjoy the protections of our constitution, legal system, and the great infrastructure we have (although admitedly not so much where I live in Hawaii), I do not worry about the government knowing about my financial transactions. I have nothing to hide. I want there to be laws restricting what the governement can do without a court order because I value my privacy. But I obey the law so I have no reason to worry about a court order so that I need to take greater measures.

If the logarithmic growth of adoption playing out on bitcoin continues, it would reach phenomenal value over time, realized by many only in hindsight.
Oh my, logarithmic growth means that it slows down over time and the growth rate eventually trends to zero. I think you need to review some mathematical concepts. You probably meant the opposite, exponential growth. But then you'd be wrong with respect to bitcoin.

Noted you have no interest in owning Bitcoin. But that may be the problem - ie - you probably should be taking an interest in this...The irony is that you are in a 1st world and "free country", with some obvious intelligence, and with the means to secure this status...
Yes, I am blessed to live in a country with strong constitutional and legal protections. And I am intelligent enough to secure my financial position with mainstream investments without speculating in bitcoin. For the record, I've never found a good reason to buy gold either. I think it is a legitimate investment vehicle but has never been for me.

I've seen people with your type of resistance when BTC was at $6, $60, $6000, $60000 etc. Trust me - it never seems like a "good time to buy" ...Old dogs learning new tricks and all that... :)
I guess a qualify as an old dog and take no offense. But I choose my new tricks to learn based on my experience and judgement. No judgement of those inerested in bitcoin. It's just not for me.

Since btcoin is in limited supply, why would you want anyone else to buy it. Scoop it up for yourself and cash in when its gone and the price goes through the roof.

From this thread and others, a crypto discussion algorithm becomes clear: If a crypto doubter writes one sentence, a crypto evangelist must write two sentences in rebuttal. One questioning paragraph gets two in reply. 8 paragraphs get 16, and so on. It’s 100% ROI!

How do I invest? Because I ca write the doubter paragraphs all day long.

If there is a company using blockchain technology to improve security or efficiency of lawful financial transactions I might consider investing in that company. If banks start using blockchain widely to secure transactions then there will be companies helping them that make money from the service. That is how I would consider investing in blockchain.

I live in a free country. As long as I pay my taxes, which I happily do to enjoy the protections of our constitution, legal system, and the great infrastructure we have (although admitedly not so much where I live in Hawaii), I do not worry about the government knowing about my financial transactions. I have nothing to hide. I want there to be laws restricting what the governement can do without a court order because I value my privacy. But I obey the law so I have no reason to worry about a court order so that I need to take greater measures.

Oh my, logarithmic growth means that it slows down over time and the growth rate eventually trends to zero. I think you need to review some mathematical concepts. You probably meant the opposite, exponential growth. But then you'd be wrong with respect to bitcoin.

Yes, I am blessed to live in a country with strong constitutional and legal protections. And I am intelligent enough to secure my financial position with mainstream investments without speculating in bitcoin. For the record, I've never found a good reason to buy gold either. I think it is a legitimate investment vehicle but has never been for me.

I guess a qualify as an old dog and take no offense. But I choose my new tricks to learn based on my experience and judgement. No judgement of those inerested in bitcoin. It's just not for me.

Since btcoin is in limited supply, why would you want anyone else to buy it. Scoop it up for yourself and cash in when its gone and the price goes through the roof.

"If there is a company using blockchain technology to improve security or efficiency of lawful financial transactions I might consider investing in that company."

Sure you can do that for sure. Indeed you already will be doing that via the companies you own. Its like saying 30 years ago "I will invest in companies that use that new fangled thing called the internet". 30 years later, all companies use the internet. The thing with Bitcoin is it doesn't need any company to function. So to get the most direct exposure to Bitcoin, you buy Bitcoin. Simple.

"Logarithmic growth means that it slows down over time and the growth rate eventually trends to zero."

You can explore the concept here. This will show you how on a very flat trend on a log scale) BTC's value con go to levels which may see extreme in nominal terms, but quite stable on a logarithmic scale.

https://www.tradingview.com/ideas/logarithmic/

"I am blessed to live in a country with strong constitutional and legal protections."

You are very naive to think that "living in a country" isolates you or protects you from what is happening globally. The reality is that we live on a planet, of which our country is part of. If there is one suggestion I have for you, is to take a step back, out of the US-centric bubble, and look at what is happening in the world as a whole (across a whole range of spectrums - financial, political, technological, political, societal, etc etc).

I have confidence you will learn "new tricks". You are smart enough to. I am guessing your aversion to risk has served you well. But at the same time, its always good to keep learning and exploring. If you own just a little BTC, not just will you have exposure, and not just will it truly open your eyes to the evolution of money, but it may give you bragging rights and at least serve as a dinner conversation topic with your peers. :)

Last edited:
How do I invest? Because I ca write the doubter paragraphs all day long.

www.Gemini.com is a US regulated exchange you can use.

Many banks also offer Bitcoin purchase and custody services, so speak to your local bank who may be able to assist.

You can also trade peer to peer with anyone who is wishing to do this with you. * Warning, do NOT ever do this with people who may try to befriend you over t he internet via social media platforms.

We don' have any suggestion he FBI had access to the criminal's private keys. Reports are they used the publicly available ledgers to claw back a substantial fraction of the ransom. Their capabilities migh be limied for now but give them a few years and bitcoin and every other crypto will be useless for hiding activity from the government.

This is a great example of a "half-truth FUD", insofar it suggests that the Fed somehow "hacked" Bitcoin. (Not saying you did this deliberately, as the mainstream media reports were definitely confusing).

Again, no-one can access your Bitcoin if they don't have your private keys. This is a 100% rock solid and immutable concept.

However, if you do not store your keys safely, or give custody to a 3rd party, then of course the coins can be appropriated. In the case you referred to, the ransomware criminals made a newbie error - first, they transferred the coins to various address (some of which the Feds already had associated with know people). The Feds can see this as the ledger is public. So, those known people identified with existing addresses can be approached and requested to hand over the coins, and or to reveal the identity of the transferor. As more people trade through regulated exchanges this becomes increasingly easy, as such exchanges, like banks, have KYC obligations.

Second, and most stupidly, the ransomware criminals stored some of the coin keys on a virtual wallet (ie on a server which they are essentially renting from a 3rd party (such as Amazon). In such a case, the server owner can simply be ordered to allow access - and that's what happened in the often cited "Bitcoin can be taken by the Feds" FUD.

If the ransomware criminals but put the coins into cold storage, and owned and protected their own keys, (eg remembering the keys in their head, writing the keys on a paper hidden in a secure location, stored using a cold storage wallet such as a Nano Ledger) their coins could not ever have been taken. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Just to bring the discussion back to the original topic: what has been approved is not an ETF tracing BTC price but its futures. Which is a terrible thing and best not touched with a 10 foot pole. Here’s the detailed explanation: https://www.coindesk.com/podcasts/t...ts-here-bitcoin-futures-etf-to-begin-trading/

Secondly, BTC is basically a technology - just like any money is technology. Yes, it requires wrapping your mind around but so did paper money when it was first invented. Why would you want to shove this new technology that allows for exchanging value instantly and without any intermediaries into the old system where it’s essentially serving one purpose: speculation.

This thread evolved into the usual discussion about BTC. I’m all for everyone educating themselves and making up their minds about the future of finances but this ETF is NOT a good start.

+1 It's really simple... Bitcoin and other crypto are more similar to Dutch tulip bulbs in early to mid 1600s... except tulip bulbs have some utiity since they can be planted and grow tulips while Bitcoin and other crypto have no utility at all and are totally speculation.

How much money has been lost by owners of Bitcoin because they lost or forgot their credentials and can no longer access their "asset"... a lot! The risk of loss is huge in my mind... what happens to 37andhappy's crypto wealth if he gets hit and killed suddenly by a beer truck later today... unless he has shared his credential with someone (which has its own risks) or put them in a safe deposit box and given access to teh safe deposit box to someone he trusts then it is down the drain. My financial assets have beneficiary designations and will go to my heirs if I get hit and killed by a beer truck later today.

... Of the existing 18.5 million Bitcoin, around 20 percent — currently worth around $140 billion — appear to be in lost or otherwise stranded wallets, according to the cryptocurrency data firm Chainalysis. Wallet Recovery Services, a business that helps find lost digital keys, said it had gotten 70 requests a day from people who wanted help recovering their riches, three times the number of a month ago. ...

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/technology/bitcoin-passwords-wallets-fortunes.html

Last edited:
Just to bring the discussion back to the original topic: what has been approved is not an ETF tracing BTC price but its futures. Which is a terrible thing and best not touched with a 10 foot pole. Here’s the detailed explanation: https://www.coindesk.com/podcasts/t...ts-here-bitcoin-futures-etf-to-begin-trading/

Secondly, BTC is basically a technology - just like any money is technology. Yes, it requires wrapping your mind around but so did paper money when it was first invented. Why would you want to shove this new technology that allows for exchanging value instantly and without any intermediaries into the old system where it’s essentially serving one purpose: speculation.

This thread evolved into the usual discussion about BTC. I’m all for everyone educating themselves and making up their minds about the future of finances but this ETF is NOT a good start.

Clearly a spot EFT would be preferable. No one disagrees with that. However its all a further step towards adoption. (Just like those who said "Oh its just a small country", when El Salvador adopted it as an official currency - again, its just another small step in an ongoing journey).

Spot ETFs already exist in numerous countries - its only a matter of time before US allows also. (And then, you will still get the anti-BTC FUD with something like "Oh, well not ALL countries in the world yet have BTC EFTs". :LOL:

+1 It's really simple... Bitcoin and other crypto are more similar to Dutch tulip bulbs in early to mid 1600s... except tulip bulbs have some utiity since they can be planted and grow tulips while Bitcoin and other crypto have no utility at all and are totally speculation.

How much money has been lost by owners of Bitcoin because they lost or forgot their credentials and can no longer access their "asset"... a lot! The risk of loss is huge in my mind... what happens to 37andhappy's crypto wealth if he gets hit and killed suddenly by a beer truck later today... unless he has shared his credential with someone (which has its own risks) or put them in a safe deposit box and given access to teh safe deposit box to someone he trusts then it is down the drain. My financial assets have beneficiary designations and will go to my heirs if I get hit and killed by a beer truck later today.

Dude, seriously? This isn't even last year's FUD, but pretty much 6-8 years ago FUD long since understood and addressed even in very mainstream public understanding. Do a little research on Bitcoin custody services - many banks provide such services, but either way its not hard to deploy various mechanisms that help assign BTC in the event of death.

Last edited:
Dude, seriously? This isn't even last year's FUD, but pretty much 6-8 years ago FUD long since addressed even in the very mainstream public understanding.

Ok dude, if you drop dead right now what happens with your crypto stash? Be honest and don't tell us what could happen if you had things structured in a certain way... tell us the way they really are.

The 140 billion is meaningless (lost coins) as it's the current valuation. I'm in that total, but it was $5. There are probably many, many thousands of people that signed up on "bit dripper" (free Bitcoin for the taking in the early days). The total allowable maximum Bitcoin is arbitrary. So arbitrary value minus lost coins is still an arbitrary number.

Last edited:
just another small step in an ongoing journey

Perhaps not important, but it's impossible not to notice that out of your 64 posts here, 22 have been in this thread and 31 were in the previous "Help me understand crypto" thread. So that's 82% of the total, and a few others were tangentially related.

When someone is that enthusiastic about one topic and nothing else, alarm bells begin to ring. Not saying it isn't completely innocent, but one wonders.

The 140 billion is meaningless (lost coins) as it's the current valuation. I'm in that total, but it was $5. There are probably many, many thousands of people that signed up on "bit dripper" (free Bitcoin for the taking in the early days). The total allowable maximum Bitcoin is arbitrary. So arbitrary value minus lost coins is still an arbitrary number.

Fair point that the $140b is based on current value... I presume that there is no way to know what the cost/actual losses are.

But this guy might argue with you... from the beginning of the link that I previously posted.

Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer living in San Francisco, has two guesses left to figure out a password that is worth, as of this week, about $220 million.

The password will let him unlock a small hard drive, known as an IronKey, which contains the private keys to a digital wallet that holds 7,002 Bitcoin. While the price of Bitcoin dropped sharply on Monday, it is still up more than 50 percent from just a month ago, when it passed its previous all-time high of around $20,000.

The problem is that Mr. Thomas years ago lost the paper where he wrote down the password for his IronKey, which gives users 10 guesses before it seizes up and encrypts its contents forever. He has since tried eight of his most commonly used password formulations — to no avail. ...

Just released by GREYSCALE! (which trades under the GBTC ticker)

We are delighted to announce that NYSE Arca has filed Form 19b-4 with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to convert our flagship product, Grayscale® Bitcoin Trust (OTCQX: GBTC), into a spot Bitcoin ETF.

Our decision to file publicly now is based on the regulatory clarity associated with the SEC’s decision to permit a Futures-based ETF. Our hope and expectation is that if regulators are comfortable with ETFs that offer exposure to BTC in the form of Futures, they are sufficiently comfortable with the underlying asset to approve a spot ETF for the same underlying asset.

If the ETF is approved, current holders of GBTC will not need to take proactive action; the shares would automatically be converted into shares of the ETF.

Today’s filing is consistent with our longstanding intention to continue to obtain greater regulatory disclosure and liquidity for our investors. We take this opportunity to reiterate our commitment to our product roadmap.

Please see here for the press release: https://www.globenewswire.com/en/ne...vert-Grayscale-Bitcoin-Trust-into-an-ETF.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom