Thoughts on TESLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of younger buyers have friends with the same or similar car and ask them for a test drive. It's not hard to find Tesla owners these days.

Several youngsters I know have found their car located out-of-state for a very good price, and bought it without seeing it. They do a quick inspection and test drive, and either buy it and drive it home, or take a short vacation out of town.

Look, just quit tweeting, OK? Investors sue Tesla and Elon Musk again

Their new lawsuit, filed in Delaware Chancery Court, seeks to permanently block Musk’s “unchecked use of Twitter to make inaccurate statements about the company,” lawyers for one of the investors, the Laborers’ District Council and Contractors’ Pension Fund of Ohio, said in a statement.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03...ting-ok-investors-sue-tesla-and-musk-again-2/

Guessing they are getting tired of seeing no return in their stock valuation.

The photo accompanying the article seems "unusual." Why would the occupants get out of the car then climb atop it rather than walk out of the river, since the riverbank is right there?

They’ll walk out after they’re done taking selfies.

Have to wonder as more of these cars with "self driving" are sold how more common will these become
https://electrek.co/2019/03/10/tesla-crash-river-claim-unintended-accelerated/

It's likely he hit the accelerator instead of the brake. It happens.

Although, as I mentioned some time back, Tesla promotes 'one pedal driving' where the regen is strong enough that you modulate the accel pedal to slow down. I think that makes it far more likely that someone could make a mistake - they might be easing off the accel pedal to brake, realize they need to brake a lot more, and push the same pedal they were 'braking' with.

-ERD50

Here's an owner of a new Tesla that could not make it out of the dealership, due to being unfamiliar with the car.

crashed-model-s.jpg

First a zig, now a zag a few days later:

Tesla is increasing prices of its electric cars after scaling back a store closure programme.

The carmaker said the 3% price rise would not apply to the new mid-market Model 3.

Earlier this month Tesla said it would close an unspecified number of stores to fund a cut in the price of the Model 3 in the US to $35,000 (£26,400).

It will now close "about half as many" stores - making half the cost savings.

The carmaker, founded by Elon Musk, said that keeping more stores open would require a rise in vehicle prices by about 3% on average worldwide.

Tesla to raise prices and keep more stores open

I think that makes it far more likely that someone could make a mistake - they might be easing off the accel pedal to brake, realize they need to brake a lot more, and push the same pedal they were 'braking' with.

-ERD50
Yes I could see the force of habit from many years of driving taking over in a panic situation. In this case it is the new habit taking over.

Close, not, drop price, raise price....keep 'em guessing. One way to maintain publicity.

Interesting, I had just said last week that closing stores and cutting prices wasn't good for Tesla, and the reasons why, in the long run. Maybe they should hire me ;) Just seems to feel like a company that is scrambling rather than having a clear execution plan.

I think they just discovered that leases are something they can't just break without paying.

I don't think we're dealing with the A-team here.

I think they just discovered that leases are something they can't just break without paying.

I don't think we're dealing with the A-team here.

Seems to be something that's pretty obvious that you just can't break a lease. And then they failed to consider how they would provide the additional services that a store provides. Guessing everyone who thought that going "online sales" only was a good idea really don't understand the business. A company with $50B market cap seems to be running by the seat of the pants.

Tesla may have plenty of good managers, but I think the problem is Musk himself. Being so used to having the final say himself, he probably acted hastily without consulting anybody, then had to back track. It appears to me that over the years people who disagreed with him either got fired or quit.

Here's an owner of a new Tesla that could not make it out of the dealership, due to being unfamiliar with the car.

crashed-model-s.jpg

I am calling BS on this being a new customer... look behind the car and there is no parking lot... or basically anything but rocks and a wall... not where someone would be picking up a new car...

More likely it was put there for display and something happened to have it hit the sign....

Yes I could see the force of habit from many years of driving taking over in a panic situation. In this case it is the new habit taking over.

Habits regarding body movements are really strong. So, when you get a new car, not just a Tesla, it takes a while to get the new habit. Pictures of crashed new cars go well beyond Tesla.

Two examples I deal with:
- After 25 years, I moved a light switch in a closet because of a pocket door installation. Took 1 year to break the habit of where to look for the switch.

- I recently fixed some bad stairs that were uneven in height. Supposedly, this was to stop a tripping hazard. Well, after 25 years, I got so used to it and programmed into the steps, that now I trip, even though they are even! The good news is our guests don't trip anymore.

Tesla may have plenty of good managers, but I think the problem is Musk himself. Being so used to having the final say himself, he probably acted hastily without consulting anybody, then had to back track. It appears to me that over the years people who disagreed with him either got fired or quit.

Absolutely. A lot of Tesla insiders were caught off guard by many of Musk’s surprise moves, not to mention the Twitter addiction.

I am calling BS on this being a new customer... look behind the car and there is no parking lot... or basically anything but rocks and a wall... not where someone would be picking up a new car...

More likely it was put there for display and something happened to have it hit the sign....

On a Web site, it was said that it was not a new customer, but a driver who tried to maneuver her car into a charging stall in the parking lot behind the crash. She underestimated the motor torque, and overstepped on the pedal.

Oops. "Stupendous acceleration" at the wrong moment!

I read that the car can be programmed to slowly creep forward when in Drive and the brake pedal is released. This operation similar to that of a car with an automatic transmission makes it easier to move slowly forward/backward when parking. Else, you need to feather the pedal to move slowly.

Last edited:
On a Web site, it was said that it was not a new customer, but a driver who tried to maneuver her car into a charging stall in the parking lot behind the crash. She underestimated the motor torque, and overstepped on the pedal.

Oops. "Stupendous acceleration" at the wrong moment!

I read that the car can be programmed to slowly creep forward when in Drive and the brake pedal is released. This operation similar to that of a car with an automatic transmission makes it easier to move slowly forward/backward when parking. Else, you need to feather the pedal to move slowly.

I have both of mine on creep mode.

It's likely he hit the accelerator instead of the brake. It happens.

Although, as I mentioned some time back, Tesla promotes 'one pedal driving' where the regen is strong enough that you modulate the accel pedal to slow down. I think that makes it far more likely that someone could make a mistake - they might be easing off the accel pedal to brake, realize they need to brake a lot more, and push the same pedal they were 'braking' with.

-ERD50

All EV's use one pedal driving, not just Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom