Are Airlines trying to reduce demand ?

Refreshed my hatred for flying yesterday. Went through Atlanta on Delta. WHAT THE F IS THE DEAL WITH THE "POSTS" FOR THE ZONES:confused: As in stand behind this post for 1st class, this post for Priority, this for 1, and for 2 and for 3? Still have a mob with no organization. I'm convinced they just want to promote the idea of classes so it will motivate more to upgrade.

No, they took their cue from Southwest. It's to avoid what the people on flyertalk.com refer to as "gate lice". You're in Boarding Group 1 and there's a mob of people in front of you who aren't moving even though Group 1 is boarding. So, those in BG 1 have to politely ask the people who aren't moving if they're in Boarding Group 1 and ask them to step aside if they aren't. I know their motivation- I do my share of flying in Boarding Group 125- they want to be the first to board when their group IS called. I can understand that but they still need to avoid slowing down the boarding process.

And yes, the gate lice are weighed down with carry-ons. That's why they're in a hurry to board- to get the remaining overhead space.

And yes, the gate lice are weighed down with carry-ons. That's why they're in a hurry to board- to get the remaining overhead space.

Yep. I long ago modified my travel protocol to only include a single carry-on bag, of a size I know will fit underneath the seat in front of me. This has two big advantages:

1. I don't need to worry whether or not there will be any space left in the overhead bin by the time I get to my seat; and
  2. If I'm in the window seat (my preference) and want something out of my bag, I don't have to bother the folks next to me to let me up to get at my bag - I just slide it out from under the seat in front of me, get what I want/need, and slide it back under.

It doesn't help that the airlines brought some of this problem on themselves when they started charging for checked bags. Naturally people want to bring on everything but the kitchen sink. And, if something in your carry-on disappears or is damaged, good luck getting them to take responsibility. One of the reasons I gravitate towards AA is that I have lifetime Gold status, which doesn't bring me a lot but DOES allow for a checked bag or two at no charge.

And one other thing I wanted to mention on that routing they offered me with a flight landing at Dulles, connecting to a flight out of Washington National- the flight into Dulles was from London. Picture clearing Immigration, getting your bag, clearing Customs, THEN getting a $90 taxi to DCA and then going through the TSA line at DCA- all in 3 hours. Yeah, right.

No, they took their cue from Southwest. It's to avoid what the people on flyertalk.com refer to as "gate lice". You're in Boarding Group 1 and there's a mob of people in front of you who aren't moving even though Group 1 is boarding. So, those in BG 1 have to politely ask the people who aren't moving if they're in Boarding Group 1 and ask them to step aside if they aren't. I know their motivation- I do my share of flying in Boarding Group 125- they want to be the first to board when their group IS called. I can understand that but they still need to avoid slowing down the boarding process.

I understand the need to que folks up to speed the groups, but in Atlanta these markers were all so close to each other any organization was completely missing. It's apparent that most US airports simply don't have the room to accomodate today's plane loads in the waiting/boarding areas. If air travel growth continues it will just become awful. No, wait a minute, it already is!:mad:

Next flight I guess I'll pack a big cup to bring.

According to this story United made a woman pee in 2 cups since the seatbelt sign was on. Of course the attendants were not buckled in (obviously). They must only have small cups.

Now United has a different version, but this is the same Airline that had 4 versions of story when they beat and dragged the doctor off a plane a month or two ago. For which the CEO had to explain to Congress.

Woman Allegedly Made to Pee in Cup on United Airlines Flight – FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community

Next flight I guess I'll pack a big cup to bring.

According to this story United made a woman pee in 2 cups since the seatbelt sign was on. Of course the attendants were not buckled in (obviously). They must only have small cups.

Now United has a different version, but this is the same Airline that had 4 versions of story when they beat and dragged the doctor off a plane a month or two ago. For which the CEO had to explain to Congress.

Woman Allegedly Made to Pee in Cup on United Airlines Flight – FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community
Spirit airlines would charge for the cups.

And one other thing I wanted to mention on that routing they offered me with a flight landing at Dulles, connecting to a flight out of Washington National- the flight into Dulles was from London. Picture clearing Immigration, getting your bag, clearing Customs, THEN getting a $90 taxi to DCA and then going through the TSA line at DCA- all in 3 hours. Yeah, right.

It could probably be done, but you'd need TSA Pre-Check.

It could probably be done, but you'd need TSA Pre-Check.

And a couple of Xanax. I typically get Pre-Check but it's random. At any rate, not a chance I'd take. Heck, I scheduled myself a 7-hour layover in ATL when I went to Central America. Everything ran on time, of course, but Delta has a really nice lounge there.

We started getting pre check randomly several years ago and last two or so we
got it every time. A few days ago we had it and the TSA woman mentioned that we better go to the site and pay up that they were going to do away with the gratis pre check. We'll see. Don't fly so much that we've willing to pay whatever ($85?) to not have to take shoes off or laptop out.

We started getting pre check randomly several years ago and last two or so we
got it every time. A few days ago we had it and the TSA woman mentioned that we better go to the site and pay up that they were going to do away with the gratis pre check. We'll see. Don't fly so much that we've willing to pay whatever ($85?) to not have to take shoes off or laptop out.

I did read somewhere where they did say the gratis is going away.... so she is probably right...

Unless you are doing business and flying a lot, not worth the money...

We don't travel with laptop nor shoes, at least I don't. So maybe it's not worth for me.

We don't travel with laptop nor shoes, at least I don't. So maybe it's not worth for me.

Ah, but you'll be in line behind people who do! I agree, though-not paying for it. I frequently fly in Business on long-hauls and that gets me in a Priority TSA line where they have them.

In a way that doesn't bother me. When I was more in tune with travel news, the airlines were always touting their latest upgrades to First and Business- designer chocolates, premium wines, lie-flat beds, etc.- while simultaneously jamming more seats into Coach, cutting back on food offerings and charging for things that used to be included, such as checked bags. You had few options between heaven and hell. I don't mind having a middle ground while still having a product available to people who don't care how bad it is as long as it's cheap.

I haven't seen basic economy fares offered on my routes yet, but the projections seemed like you were only talking $20-$30 difference.

I think it's catering to the typical American occasional flier who wants the rock bottom price. Delta already had something like this?

We always pay up for economy plus anyway.

Well upselling is BS as well.

My parents upgraded to Delta's Plus Comfort seats for JFK>AMS for about $300 RT for two. Got them nicer seats right behind business class, and a A-B two by the window (in a 2-3-2 setup for those rows).

In the 24 hours before the flight the "changed equipment" (twice), unblocked their assigned seats (twice). In spite of numerous calls, the best they ended up with was C and E (two outers of the middle 3), regular seats, and they texted me after boarding hoping they would be able to trade with D if s/he shows up....

disgusted. This is an elderly couple going transatlantic with a paid upgrade.., arranged more than 2 months ago. running out of airlines to put on the "do not fly them" list.

Well upselling is BS as well.

My parents upgraded to Delta's Plus Comfort seats for JFK>AMS for about $300 RT for two. Got them nicer seats right behind business class, and a A-B two by the window (in a 2-3-2 setup for those rows).

In the 24 hours before the flight the "changed equipment" (twice), unblocked their assigned seats (twice). In spite of numerous calls, the best they ended up with was C and E (two outers of the middle 3), regular seats, and they texted me after boarding hoping they would be able to trade with D if s/he shows up....

Delta seems to be particularly awful about trashing seat assignments. DH and I were once booked on one of those fakey "direct" flights with a single flight number- Delta from MCI to JFK, then JFK to Edinburgh, on Delta. To me, it ain't direct when you have to change terminals in JFK and get on a different plane. Anyway, we had seat assignments carefully made on both flights to get DH an aisle seat because he was 6'2" and needed to be able to stretch his creaky back once in awhile. The flight from MCI got diverted to Cincinnati. We discovered during our long wait in Cincinnati that our seat assignments out of JFK were gone. Fortunately, we were in the Delta lounge and they threw some people out of Exit row seats on JFK-EDI and gave them to us. Someone must have been VERY unhappy. Sounds like Delta still doesn't have its act together.

I used my miles to purchase business class on Hawaiian Airlines but later I found out they are not as good as other business class. I don't know if I want to upgrade to business class on the way back.

Even 2-3 mg of xanax is not enough anymore.
I'm more tolerant of flying than you, but you're post got me wondering. Do you just go to your doctor and say, "damn, I've got 6 hours in a 16.8 inch wide middle seat, chances are, next to some honkin' large individual that might not smell too good....prescribe me some Xanax!".... or how exactly does that work?

I'm more tolerant of flying than you, but you're post got me wondering. Do you just go to your doctor and say, "damn, I've got 6 hours in a 16.8 inch wide middle seat, chances are, next to some honkin' large individual that might not smell too good....prescribe me some Xanax!".... or how exactly does that work?

Yeah, pretty much.

Do you just go to your doctor and say, "damn, I've got 6 hours in a 16.8 inch wide middle seat, chances are, next to some honkin' large individual that might not smell too good....prescribe me some Xanax!".... or how exactly does that work?

A former colleague of mine had a general fear of flying and got a prescription for Xanax when she had to fly. She said it didn't make her high or dopy or anything- it just made her stop worrying.

I need me some of that.

A former colleague of mine had a general fear of flying and got a prescription for Xanax when she had to fly. She said it didn't make her high or dopy or anything- it just made her stop worrying.

I need me some of that.
Just depends. Xanax hits me like a sledge. A half milligram is good for a couple hours of sleep. Make me stay awake on it and I'm a stupid cranky kid. How anyone eats a whole xannie bar and remains upright I can't understand.

Back
Top Bottom