Carribean Cruise-YUK

... many of the people were overweight and the rest were obese... Acres of flabby flesh everywhere you looked... We only went to be with a relative who had to cancell at the last minute....

LOL! In the last few days I’ve seen two incidents of people without an ounce of fat on them taking up three seats in public places. It’s done by angling the body just so, apparently they weren’t even saving the seats. nm, I'm late to the party.

So how’s the relative? Did s/he get a refund?

Yes we knew this but we were trying to accommodate a relative who didn't want to spend very much. Turns out the relative cancelled the day before and we were stuck at that point. We last took a big ship in 2005 and now realize that things have not improved. To the contrary.
You know - that just really stinks! (about having your relative cancel the day before after you accommodated them)

Audrey

Now *that* qualifies for a "YUK".

Frankly, we did Carnival once before and we don't plan on returning unless someone gave us the trip with the specification that it had to be on Carnival.
Same opinion here about Carnival. It is at the bottom of my cruise line food chain compared to Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean. However, Carnival is very good for beginners or the very cost conscious if a family group is going together.

There's not been one mention of noroviruses in this thread. Does the media exaggerate this?

We had friends who were on a cruise where some kind of virus broke out. At that point, some kind of martial law was enacted, and anyone who sneezed was confined to their cabin at gunpoint. I'm exaggerating of course, but it was definitely a problem, and I don't think they had a good time. What are the chances of that?

Same opinion here about Carnival. It is at the bottom of my cruise line food chain compared to Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean. However, Carnival is very good for beginners or the very cost conscious if a family group is going together.
Yeah. My wife used to book cruises for a while, and noted that for people on a strict budget, Carnival can work if they really want to cruise -- but noted the quality was lacking a bit and it was more of a rowdy atmosphere than some of the other more expensive cruise lines.

For a beginner, it may also be good to look for 3-5 day cruises to make sure you like it. If it turns out you don't like it and/or you're constantly seasick, 7-10 days is an awful long time and an awful lot of money to be miserable...

Same opinion here about Carnival. It is at the bottom of my cruise line food chain... . However, Carnival is very good for beginners or the very cost conscious...
Some people find Carnival to be a [-]cheapskate's[/-] LBYMer's idea of a real bargain. Of course those same people might also live in the land of biting, stinging critters and own an RV. Sadly. :)

I used to feel that way about Carnival until I went on one of their cruises . I found the food better than Royal Caribbean and the rooms bigger . I 've been on most of the lines and I really do not see tremendous differences .

Here ya go -- 3 days in the Bahamas for $159:
Actually we booked on this upcoming Carnival cruise a few weeks back when the prices were substantially lower.

Yep, we are looking forward to this bottom-of-the-cruise-line-food-chain trip and joining in with acres of [-]other[/-] flabby people stampeding to the next feeding time. It will be a nice break from from sitting around outside our RV looking sad. Not only that, the stampeding will be good exercise!

Whaddya DO all day my @ss....:LOL:

Yep, we are looking forward to this bottom-of-the-cruise-line-food-chain trip and joining in with acres of [-]other[/-] flabby people stampeding to the next feeding time. It will be a nice break from from sitting around outside our RV looking sad.
:D

As long as it's not during Spring break you should be fine.

It's not during Spring Break, right? :whistle:

You know - that just really stinks! (about having your relative cancel the day before after you accommodated them)

Audrey
Agree. But justice was served-They had passport problems and could not enter the US. This was unexpected but they should have checked. Lost they entire cruise cost.-Anyway in desperation they booked a cheapo week in the Dominican Republic. Supposed to be 41/2 stars-was not. Furthermore it rained the whole week. Was worse for them than us.

Actually we booked on this upcoming Carnival cruise a few weeks back when the prices were substantially lower.

Yep, we are looking forward to this bottom-of-the-cruise-line-food-chain trip and joining in with acres of [-]other[/-] flabby people stampeding to the next feeding time. It will be a nice break from from sitting around outside our RV looking sad. Not only that, the stampeding will be good exercise!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Wow - can't wait for the trip report!

Now if only you could drive your RV on deck and hooking it at a site instead of having to move into a cabin.....

Audrey

ReWahoo,

We did that same cruise in January. Hope you have better weather. Our entire week was very cold. I thought the food and entertainment were great on the Conqest. The service lacking.... You gets what you pay for..... You know it isn't spring break or the prices would have been higher.

Some ships are better than others, but I always hate to leave them. That last day is always a bummer to me.

We do the all inclusive thing in Jamaica every year. One thing we read when researching the first year was a response to someones fears of donning a bikini among all the hot, young model types in the brochure. The response was go the grocery store and imagine all the people you see in bikinis and speedos, that is who will be there. Those model types in the brochure ARE models.

We are planning our first cruise in October. 4 night Mexico thing out of LA on Carnival. We have read tones of reviews and know what were are in for. Sounds like fun. We will do what we want, when we want. The only bad vacation is the one you decide is bad. If you are with someone you enjoy, you can have fun doing just about anything.

Not only will we be at the food stampede but we will also attend the Art auction for free champagne and people watching !

There's not been one mention of noroviruses in this thread. Does the media exaggerate this?

We had friends who were on a cruise where some kind of virus broke out. At that point, some kind of martial law was enacted, and anyone who sneezed was confined to their cabin at gunpoint. I'm exaggerating of course, but it was definitely a problem, and I don't think they had a good time. What are the chances of that?
It's been our experience over the years that the cruise lines are taking more pro-active actions, such as the "ball dispenser" at every public area to disburse hand disinfectant. Also, we see more attendants spray/disinfect handrails in public areas - much more so than in the past.

Maybe we've just been lucky, but it has not been a problem on our cruises over the years.

Since we've been fortunate to travel by ship/riverboat in other parts of the world (i.e. Med cruise, Danube River cruise, Baltic this June) we've found this practice wherever we go. Too bad the airlines don't pick up on this simple preventive measure.

As far as the OP's comment on the Carribean? We would agree. We did it once but would never again. We're not the kind of folks that sit at the pool/bar all day and are more interested in ports of call. However the Carribean lacks in that area, IMHO. Different strokes...

For a beginner, it may also be good to look for 3-5 day cruises to make sure you like it. If it turns out you don't like it and/or you're constantly seasick, 7-10 days is an awful long time and an awful lot of money to be miserable...

That's what my daughter and I did for our first cruise. A 3 day from San Francisco to Vancouver. A very good length for the first one. Found out my daughter gets sea sick and I don't. We both had a wonderful time though.

As far as getting sick on a cruise, it's never happened to me yet. I don't know why, maybe reading too much in Cruise Critic, but, I was a little more cautious this time. I took some Clorox wipes with me, but, didn't even open the package the entire trip. I always used the hand sanitizers before eating and used the stairs and not the elevators, not touching elevator buttons or stair railings. I never used the public restrooms in the commons areas and always washed my hands when returning to my cabin.:angel:

We have cruised on several cruise lines including Carnival. Carnival seems to be at the lower end of the cost spectrum (i.e., you get what you pay for). But I have never had a bad experience on a Carnival Cruise.

But we tend to not do cruises much anymore. Too many other travel options. If we go to the Carribean, we tend to go to a resort, sometimes all-inclusive resorts.

Sometimes a cruise (like we took southbound from Alaska) has more than just a "boat" :angel: ...

Attachments

• Alaska Cruise 066.jpg
    Alaska Cruise 066.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 4
Yup. It happens, but not as often/widespread as the media impression. The cruise ships have followed though with aggressive cleaning/sanitizing campaigns. (Who knows what measures they have to take with the swinger's cruises.) Use the hand sanitizers, don't let the other passengers sneeze or spit on you, and don't get throwing-up drunk.

Several years ago my spouse and her brother were beginning to make plans to take their parents on a cruise for their 50th anniversary. Then he (and his spouse) took a Caribbean cruise, and he got sick. No idea whether it was a cold, the flu, or norovirus, but he declared that he'd never cruise again. So we had to come up with other plans.

We're taking a look at NCL's last-minute interisland fares for when we're empty-nesters. I'm hoping that with a day or two of notice we'll get a substantial discount...

Back
Top Bottom