Cause For Deeper Concern?

As an employer, I sure would want to know that one of my employees is stealing and I would take action as a result.

I’d tell the hotel too, but I wouldn’t write a review based on this.

In my case, I did tell the hotel. Lots of people showed up (security, hotel management, etc). In the end, I just let it go. But I figure by telling the hotel, they will keep an eye out since it’s in their best interest to have honest employees.

Also, a nice thing about traveling nowadays is that you really don’t need cash in most countries.

I was in Warsaw twice this year. The first time I withdrew money and had problems spending it. In one case, they asked me to pay by card since I only had bigger bills. Credit cards (Apple Pay in my case) is accepted everywhere. The second time I didn’t withdraw any cash.

Right now, I’m traveling and in my 6th country. I could have done all of this trip by only using a credit card. But I will withdraw a small amount, around $20, for tipping and the odd purchase that requires cash. If somebody manages to steal that, I’m not losing sleep over it.

Also, a nice thing about traveling nowadays is that you really don’t need cash in most countries.

I was in Warsaw twice this year. The first time I withdrew money and had problems spending it. In one case, they asked me to pay by card since I only had bigger bills. Credit cards (Apple Pay in my case) is accepted everywhere. The second time I didn’t withdraw any cash.

Right now, I’m traveling and in my 6th country. I could have done all of this trip by only using a credit card. But I will withdraw a small amount, around $20, for tipping and the odd purchase that requires cash. If somebody manages to steal that, I’m not losing sleep over it.

Sometimes things with credit cards don't work as planned. On this very trip to France for example, there was one restaurant where, for some reason, the credit card wouldn't go through. I had them try a different one - same thing. We never had a problem in France either prior to or after this one restaurant. Maybe their machine was on the blink - who knows. I had to pay with euros. Same thing with my ATM card on a prior vacation - for whatever reason, the ATM machine told me the PIN I was entering was incorrect (I know I entered it correctly).

You just never know.

Edit: I almost forgot - also on this trip, the taxi that took us to the airport to come back home. The driver said he didn't have the "machine" for credit cards, he only accepted cash.

Last edited:
Sometimes things with credit cards don't work as planned. On this very trip to France for example, there was one restaurant where, for some reason, the credit card wouldn't go through. I had them try a different one - same thing. We never had a problem in France either prior to or after this one restaurant. Maybe their machine was on the blink - who knows. I had to pay with euros. Same thing with my ATM card on a prior vacation - for whatever reason, the ATM machine told me the PIN I was entering was incorrect (I know I entered it correctly).

You just never know.

That is true. I’ve also run into cases where, sorry, my credit card reader is not “working.”

I figure if this ever happens, I can always find an ATM to get cash. And in almost all of the restaurants we went to, I’d double check to make sure they accepted credit cards. If at that point their machine doesn’t work, it’s not completely my problem.

I would suggest cancelling the credit cards. They may not have taken them but a quick picture snap on a phone could give them information for later. Possibly contact your passport office about the event.
Because this appears to be a crime of opportunity, I think cancellation of credit cards is an overreaction. The expertise to notice an open safe, take the cash, and deny it if confronted is held by most people. The idea that you can take a picture of a credit card and turn that information into money is probably not even in the head of a Paris maid, much less the ability to execute on that idea. Especially if said maid happened to have access to various rooms when money went missing. Yes, I expect that more people than not would report the theft, maybe not to the point of a police report, but at least answering the question "how was your stay", when checking out.

I wouldn’t blame the hotel. This is an employee problem and it could happen anywhere.

A long time ago, I had a bunch of French Francs stolen from our hotel room. Normally I carry cash with me or leave it in a safe place, but in this case, we were only going out for dinner and I assumed that no one would be in our room. I forgot about turndown service. I did complain to the hotel, but in the end let it go.

Nowadays, I put a do not disturb sign on the door when I’m gone and usually carry valuables with me. I hardly ever use the room safe, or if I do, only for short periods of time.

I think the odds are higher to be pick pocketed than robbed in a hotel. Hotel employees probably don’t want to lose their jobs. Pick pockets, we’ll, that is their job.

It is 100% the Hotels fault. They hired the employee, therefore they are responsible. Maybe they need to change the safe master combination, keep the safe master combo more secure, pay employees more, do better background checks, or remove safes altogether to avoid this type of incident.

I realize this type of thing happens everywhere, but that is why I stay in the USA...

That is true. I’ve also run into cases where, sorry, my credit card reader is not “working.”

I figure if this ever happens, I can always find an ATM to get cash. And in almost all of the restaurants we went to, I’d double check to make sure they accepted credit cards. If at that point their machine doesn’t work, it’s not completely my problem.

I had a little issue with my Charles Schwab debit card in Rome. I tried to withdraw cash more than my daily limit (I forgot about the limit). It got flagged as fraud and promptly locked. I called Charles Schwab later and they asked me to find an ATM machine and call them there so they can unlock my card while I use it. Luckily the bank ATM is in an enclosed area with a door, and no one was there except DW and I. Otherwise, this could be embarrassing.

I will remember not to go over the limit again.

The passport is the real 'gold' standard for serious thieves. A genuine American passport can be 'adapted' for various nefarious uses. It's good yours did not get stolen. Buy a good money belt, and "Continue Traveling."

This is why I think the OP has nothing further to worry about. A US passport can bring upwards of $10K on the black market.

If all they took was cash, that all they wanted. To take photos of the CCs for future use and not grab the PP just wouldn't make sense. Small time thieves IMO.

I would not worry very much. As others have said this appears to be a crime of opportunity. Having said that You might consider monitoring those accounts on a daily basis.

We have been travelling in Greece for the past several weeks. We are amazed at the acceptance of credit cards compared to three years ago. Not just from tourists either. Lots of tap, the rest are pin. Do not think that we have paid cash for a meal yet.

I would suggest cancelling the credit cards. They may not have taken them but a quick picture snap on a phone could give them information for later. Possibly contact your passport office about the event.
Not quite the same but I did a dumbass thing when getting my Australian eTA. I went online for both Australia and NZ eTAs. Had NZ one b4 I logged out of their site, other told me to call with questions. Their phone was disconnected then I got a bogus # from the "Australian High Council." Changed cc# and called US State Dept and told that I didn't need to change my passport # as my passport is chipped.

Yes, senior moment. My previous Australian eTA was / is still valid.

A few years ago I had my pocket picked in Barcelona. It was my last day there but I did spend the evening on the computer at the hotel notifying the CC co. etc. Then later froze my credit at all 3 agencies. It also had my drivers license and military ID. Fortunately it did not have much cash. That was left behind so I had money on my return.

Now I wear my wallet with half inside my pants and the other half outside but under my belt and covered by my shirt. They will have to undress me to get it. Passport goes in a carrier around my neck and under my shirt. I also carry a little cash that will be easier to access in that passport carrier.

Cheers!

Always tell the hotel. True story:

The company I work for had several employees staying at the same hotel get robbed of fairly inconsequential cash amounts...basically just pocket cash that was left laying around unsecured while they were out of their rooms at the gym, down at the restaurant, etc. A couple of them happened to "compare notes" and then decided to report it.

Using the records in the electronic key system and the timing of the events, the hotel security folks quickly figured out which employee had accessed the rooms at those times. Said employee had been there less than one week. By that afternoon the employee was terminated, management met personally with the affected guests, and replaced the money. They can't fix the problem if they don't know about it.

Put a security watch on all of those credit cards to alert you to any charges over $0.01. Even though not stolen, the number plus 3-digit CVV on the back could have been copied/sold.

OP, what place did this happen to you? At a hotel or B&B? If the latter, I would like to know its name just in case I'll ever go to Paris (I'm not tempted myself but one of our kids would love to).

I would have been very upset with myself if I happened to forget and leave money at the hotel because I usually carry it along despite petty thieves around.
Like others said, just be happy that your passports didn't get stolen! I'm surprised that they didn't steal your GoPro.

Sometimes things with credit cards don't work as planned. On this very trip to France for example, there was one restaurant where, for some reason, the credit card wouldn't go through. I had them try a different one - same thing. We never had a problem in France either prior to or after this one restaurant. Maybe their machine was on the blink - who knows. I had to pay with euros...
We had lunch at a seaside restaurant in Sitges. The waiter said the machine was broken. I asked to speak to the manager. Suddenly the machine worked.

It is an attempt to get more tip money from unsuspecting tourists. They avoid the 8%? credit card charge and the delay in getting their discounted money.

Sometimes I say that I work for Visa and that I will report them. I have never had a card rejected in Europe so far.

I wouldn’t blame the hotel. This is an employee problem and it could happen anywhere.
While it IS an employee problem, the hotel is the employer of the employee. Employees who regularly steal from guest's rooms, should be found out by the hotel, and terminated. With electronic card key entry on most hotel rooms today, it's easy to figure out who's entered a room. If employee "X" is consistently found to have entered rooms where thefts occurred, it would be easy to set up a sting and confirm whether it is them or not.

I had an employee who was was staying at well-known hotel in Guam, and his company laptop was stolen during the day. Today, I'd have him file a police report, and talk to hotel management.

Last edited:
OP, what place did this happen to you? At a hotel or B&B? If the latter, I would like to know its name just in case I'll ever go to Paris (I'm not tempted myself but one of our kids would love to).

I would have been very upset with myself if I happened to forget and leave money at the hotel because I usually carry it along despite petty thieves around.
Like others said, just be happy that your passports didn't get stolen! I'm surprised that they didn't steal your GoPro.

It was in a hotel.

We were pretty upset with ourselves, but neither DW nor I spend too much time crying over spilled milk. It was a lesson learned. I'll be buying one of those passport/money holders that go around ones neck underneath the shirt and always carry it around.

I suspect they wouldn't steal something like a GoPro in the event they were to get caught with it and, upon inspection, the video/pictures on its memory card would show images of its rightful owner. It could also be because the GoPro was mounted on a gimbal and might have been too bulky to be inconspicuous. Cash, on the other hand...

Back
Top Bottom