Christmas In Maui

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Taking the family to Maui (kannapali) for a week at Christmas. Any partucularly special things to do in Maui at that time?

Whale watching tour, luau, and the Maui Ocean Center would be my top three.

It's not a holiday thing, but go up Haleakala for sunrise.

+1
It is quite a sight. You can either drive up there and down, or get a bus up there and bike down.

Sounds dreamy!

I would put whale watching at the top of my list for that time of year! You’ll probably be able to even see some from the beach!

But that is a very, very long drive from Kaanapali.

Can’t imagine how cold it would be up there in late December. It was in the 30s and wind blowing hard when we went up there in mid-April!

I guess one advantage would be slightly later sunrise, but how many hours driving in the dark, and how many hours before dawn do you have leave? Maybe find someone to take you.

Last edited:
There is no guarantee that you see sunrise because of weather!!!! We were there in September, here’s what we did, had lunch at O’o Farm then drove ourselves up to Hal..... beautiful, we were on kaanappli side too, yes it’s an all day sucker. Not sure what O’o farm is doing in winter, but highly recommend it.... two years ago we did the bike down from volcanoe, awesome too. Enjoy

Also if your family drinks, I would go to Tamara’s liquors store to buy liquor and wine or beer for drinking at house or hotel. Believe it or not crown royal was cheaper there the MD !!!!!! There poke salads are great too.

also did road to Hana on a bus, ok but that’s all day too.

There is no guarantee that you see sunrise because of weather!!!!

So true! The morning we went up there the fog was so thick you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. At least it's easy to get up early if you've come from the U.S. mainland and do it at the start of the trip before you get over the jet lag.

If you like to snorkel, I highly recommend Molokini, a sunken volcano home to a vibrant coral reef. You will probably see a whale or two in your transit. If you are interested, I suggest you take a catamaran tour. Current laws don't allow most powered vessels to get close to the whales. If you are on a cat, the operator can drift along in the breeze. We had a couple humpbacks breach right next to us, including a mom and her calf. I could see her eye looking right at me with a definite curiosity. Very memorable experience for me, not sure if the humpback will remember it.:cool:

If you like to snorkel, I highly recommend Molokini, a sunken volcano home to a vibrant coral reef. You will probably see a whale or two in your transit. If you are interested, I suggest you take a catamaran tour. Current laws don't allow most powered vessels to get close to the whales. If you are on a cat, the operator can drift along in the breeze. We had a couple humpbacks breach right next to us, including a mom and her calf. I could see her eye looking right at me with a definite curiosity. Very memorable experience for me, not sure if the humpback will remember it.:cool:

did this too, another must do in Maui.

Makes Christmas Day longer since Hawaii is about last place on earth Dec 25th ends.

WE rented a plane and pilot out of Kahalui Airport and flew to Hana. Beats the 9 hour drive.
Also Molokini is great

Heli ride over Haleakalā (House of the Sun). We still have the Video. Assuming the weather is cooperative.

Last edited:
https://www.govisithawaii.com/maui-new-years-eve-fireworks-special-celebrations/

Not sure about special Christmas stuff, but if you're still on Maui for New Years, above has good info (maybe they have related link on Christmas events).

NY Eve We're going to do the benefit event for the Food Bank and the cultural center featuring Willie, Alice Cooper, Steven Tyler and a bunch of others who have places on Maui, put on by Shep Gordon (SuperMensch).

Re Haleakala, I thought you needed reservations now to do the sunrise viewing.

Re Molokini: much of the coral has become bleached out. The variety of fish is MUCH less than what was there even only 5 years ago. Still a fun ride that will get you some whale watching with your snorkle trip.

Last edited:
Try the fish!
Best wishes.......

Last edited:
Not Christmas related, but it would be a crime to not eat at Mama’s Fish House and to enjoy a shave ice at Ululani's Hawaiian Shave Ice - Lahaina. Soooo good! Must be getting close to dinner time...

The concierge suggested trying sunset at the summit of the volcano. No reservation required, almost no bicyclists on the road, and we could see it was going to be cloudy and were able to abort and do the drive down while still light. This was Thursday.

Flew to Kona today and boarding the Kona Aggressor in a half hour.

Maui

We stayed in Ka'anapoli and snorkeled north of there at Hono Luo - just a small wood sign to mark it and parking for 4 cars but it was great !

La'hana town was great- good restaurants

We took a helicopter tour of Moloki'a - which was great ! The weather on Haleakala was cloudy or we would have included it too.

Have a great time. !!

Road to Hana. Buy the CD to play in the car as you go. It narrates what you are seeing and lets you know when it might be worth a side trip. Plan 3 hours or more (IIRC). Total switch-back city and slightly dangerous because of the traffic and relatively narrow road. Don't do it if you (or the folks you take along) don't get into scenery from a car. If anyone reads when you drive, leave them at the hotel. Hana is not much once you get there. It's the drive, but YMMV.

I didn't find the road anymore dangerous than some of the rural roads back East. I took an full size SUV Armada with four adults and luggage. We spent the ight in Hana, then came back next day to OGG and flew to Kona.

We took a guided tour for the road to Hana. Very enjoyable.

Lots of people get up super early to do the sunrise at the top of the volcano. We were given (good) advise that the sunset is just as enjoyable. But bring a warm jacket and closed shoes... it gets nippy up there.

Flew to Kona today and boarding the Kona Aggressor in a half hour.
How'd you like the Kona Aggressor diving? I went about 7 years ago, and the diving down by Southpoint was awesome!

How'd you like the Kona Aggressor diving? I went about 7 years ago, and the diving down by Southpoint was awesome!

Great! Mantas and hammerheads - what's not to like? Winds were such that we went all the way south first (an unusual itinerary) and sites down there were great. Later in the week, up north, the surge and viz both got worse but still manageable.

Here's our Captain's log: https://www.aggressor.com/captainlogsview.php?log=7202

Back
Top Bottom