Cost of Car Rental in Europe for 2021-2022 - Anyone rented a car recently?

Wow... Did you find this cost to be higher than normal for the UK/Europe.

Yep. I think a big part of the extra cost is because the Sixt rental desk is in the Sofitel Hotel next to T5, so I was able to walk to the Sixt rental desk from T5 without having to take the shuttle bus. So there was extra cost in convenience. Also they charged me an extra 20% for "premium location" (i.e., renting from LHR).

In general, rental cars are just way more expensive post Covid compared to before.

In 2019 I rented a mid-sized SUV from Avis at Manchester Airport for 2 weeks, and that rental cost me only USD $800 (with highest insurance coverage, GPS unit, pre-paid fuel). The rental car cost difference pre- vs. post-Covid is just unbelievable.

Last edited:
That icelandreview has lots of interesting stories of tourists getting into trouble, and some of their rental cars are really old and worn.

Do a search with "tourist accident" and you'll see hundreds of stories of tourists dying or getting seriously hurt driving in Iceland due to carelessness, ill luck or, in some cases, just plain stupidity.

Do another search with "Reynisfjara tourist" and you'll see tons of stories of tourists getting swept out to the ocean by rogue waves at the famous black sand beach because they ignore warning signs that are posted everywhere.

I have a good Icelandic friend who works in the tourism industry in Iceland, and some of the stories she tells me of tourists doing really idiotic things are mind-boggling.

Last edited:
One of the add-ons is the toll transponder. They have them in the cars "for convenience" and that would be great, but if it's used just one day, their "policy" is to bill you the fixed fee for every day of the rental. So days times fixed fee is a chunk of change. They might charge $5 or $10 per day. And many places now have toll roads where there is only automated collection (no toll booth). Worth looking into before you travel.

Do a search with "tourist accident" and you'll see hundreds of stories of tourists dying or getting seriously hurt driving in Iceland due to carelessness, ill luck or, in some cases, just plain stupidity.

Do another search with "Reynisfjara tourist" and you'll see tons of stories of tourists getting swept out to the ocean by rogue waves at the famous black sand beach because they ignore warning signs that are posted everywhere.

I have a good Icelandic friend who works in the tourism industry in Iceland, and some of the stories she tells me of tourists doing really idiotic things are mind-boggling.

Looking around I found a video that shows folks getting swept off their feet, it is pretty tricky as everything looks fine until it's not
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpuBGJpFtAJ/

Looking around I found a video that shows folks getting swept off their feet, it is pretty tricky as everything looks fine until it's not
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpuBGJpFtAJ/

That's the scary part. By the time you realize it, it's on you.

Luckily none of the people in that video got swept out.

Every time I went to Reynisfjara, I always saw people going up to the edge of the ocean to take pics despite ample warnings to stay away; the worst ones were the idiots taking selfies with their back turned toward the ocean. Some tourists will do anything for a good pic, including dying for it.

Here's a video showing stupid tourists getting injured:

https://grapevine.is/news/2019/11/12/video-tourist-injured-at-reynisfjara/

Now the Icelandic authorities are seriously considering closing the beach altogether:

https://grapevine.is/news/2022/06/15/whats-next-for-reynisfjara/

Closing it would be a shame. It's such a gorgeous spot.

We're in luck as gasoline prices are down recently about 40 cents (U.S.) in Italy. And the Dollar/Euro conversion is a plus for travelers.

Gasoline today in Rome is $5.96 (U.S.) per U.S. gallon.

We're in luck as gasoline prices are down recently about 40 cents (U.S.) in Italy. And the Dollar/Euro conversion is a plus for travelers.

Gasoline today in Rome is $5.96 (U.S.) per U.S. gallon.

Never thought I would see the day when gas price in Europe is cheaper than in the US, or at least in CA.

Today it was $6.36/gallon for regular at my local SoCal gas station.

Many of the big name rental companies we see in the U.S. are franchise operations in Europe, and they don't necessarily follow the same operations and procedures. Hertz is company owned in Europe is the reason I stick with them.

Not Europe strictly speaking but...

I rented a car from Hertz in Tahiti this summer and was completely screwed by the franchisee. The quoted price through Hertz was great (~200/week) but when I went to pick up the car at 10 PM they insisted I buy the insurance at about $29 a day. I refused so they added "partial insurance" against my objections. When I objected they said they would not rent to me if I did not accept it. I had very little choice so I initialed even though it said "optional." They claimed both were optional but I had to pick one.

They also tried to sell me unlimited mileage even though my reservation said it was already included. I paid about $100 for that.

When I got back home I went round and round with Hertz. I am a #1 Gold member, presidents circle and have been loyal to them for about 25 years. None of that mattered because it was a franchisee. They refunded the unlimited miles fee because I had written documentation that it was included in my reservation. They refused to refund the insurance but said what happened is against their policy and they would investigate.

Yes, I know it is not Europe but Tahiti is a part of France and French law generally applies. Just saying it seems to be a brave new world out there where these companies are aggressive about getting money, even in Europe.

That's the scary part. By the time you realize it, it's on you.

Luckily none of the people in that video got swept out.

Every time I went to Reynisfjara, I always saw people going up to the edge of the ocean to take pics despite ample warnings to stay away; the worst ones were the idiots taking selfies with their back turned toward the ocean. Some tourists will do anything for a good pic, including dying for it.

Here's a video showing stupid tourists getting injured:

https://grapevine.is/news/2019/11/12/video-tourist-injured-at-reynisfjara/

Now the Icelandic authorities are seriously considering closing the beach altogether:

https://grapevine.is/news/2022/06/15/whats-next-for-reynisfjara/

Closing it would be a shame. It's such a gorgeous spot.

I'm with the guy who kept saying "idiots."

Not Europe strictly speaking but...

I rented a car from Hertz in Tahiti this summer and was completely screwed by the franchisee. The quoted price through Hertz was great (~200/week) but when I went to pick up the car at 10 PM they insisted I buy the insurance at about $29 a day. I refused so they added "partial insurance" against my objections. When I objected they said they would not rent to me if I did not accept it. I had very little choice so I initialed even though it said "optional." They claimed both were optional but I had to pick one.

They also tried to sell me unlimited mileage even though my reservation said it was already included. I paid about $100 for that.

When I got back home I went round and round with Hertz. I am a #1 Gold member, presidents circle and have been loyal to them for about 25 years. None of that mattered because it was a franchisee. They refunded the unlimited miles fee because I had written documentation that it was included in my reservation. They refused to refund the insurance but said what happened is against their policy and they would investigate.

Yes, I know it is not Europe but Tahiti is a part of France and French law generally applies. Just saying it seems to be a brave new world out there where these companies are aggressive about getting money, even in Europe.

Unfortunately your story is ALL TO COMMON. Hertz and the other big car rental companies hear this everyday, several times over. They don't care and more importantly, they don't hold these franchisee owners accountable. It's truly the wild west when it comes to this.

And yes, I have real insider info on this. Pathetic industry and these Franchisee's all hide behind these big corporation names because people tend to trust them.

Unfortunately your story is ALL TO COMMON. Hertz and the other big car rental companies hear this everyday, several times over. They don't care and more importantly, they don't hold these franchisee owners accountable. It's truly the wild west when it comes to this.

And yes, I have real insider info on this. Pathetic industry and these Franchisee's all hide behind these big corporation names because people tend to trust them.

I have never had this happen to me in the past in Europe including Tahiti. I live in Hawaii so Tahiti is an easy trip. I am tempted to push the issue and make backup arrangements next time (taxi) and simply walk away at the counter. Too many companies are desperate right now and don't realize that screwing me for $25/day for 7 days = $175 will cost them much more in the long run since I have many options. It's really just dumb.

We rented from the Venice airport in May for 14 days. I think the total bill was ~$1400. We booked months ahead. Plus gas and tolls.

I had a 11-day rental in Venice, end of August, into September, for $1400 when I booked it in May.

But in mid August, I checked again and found a $700 rental for the same dates so I switched.

Compared to earlier posters, I think I got a good deal.

I paid US$1960 for a 26-day rental with Europcar. I asked for an automatic, with full insurance and no deductible. They promised a Hyundai Tucson Hybrid SUV, but gave me an Opel Grandland PHEV AWD SUV, which was a nicer and more expensive car.

Returned it after 2,574 km without a scratch, just like previous trips. However, I am getting old and paying for full insurance with no deductible is worth the peace of mind.

In previous trips of 30-40 days, I drove as much as 5000-6000 km, but this time I intended to drive less. Can't drive far and fast in the mountainous Piedmont and South Tyrol regions anyway.

One of the add-ons is the toll transponder. They have them in the cars "for convenience" and that would be great, but if it's used just one day, their "policy" is to bill you the fixed fee for every day of the rental. So days times fixed fee is a chunk of change. They might charge $5 or $10 per day. And many places now have toll roads where there is only automated collection (no toll booth). Worth looking into before you travel.

Portugal has some new toll roads with no toll booths. You have to register using your rental car license plate number, and provide a credit card. After that, just drive. Automated cameras will capture license plates and log your car at each leg, and charge the credit card automatically.

If you don't know and just drive on these roads, BIG fines will come to you later as you return the rental car.

I registered at an unmanned booth. And not all toll roads have these booths at the beginning. I had to plan to drive from Spain into Portugal via a toll road with this registration booth. And used Google Street View to see what it looked like.

Perhaps you can register via the Web now. And be sure to cancel the registration after the trip, or you may pay the tolls for the next renter.

PS. For people who inadvertently drive on these automated toll roads, you can avoid the fine by paying the charges in person at some places like the post office. It has to be done within a certain period, like a week or something.

Last edited:
Portugal has some new toll roads with no toll booths. You have to register using your rental car license plate number, and provide a credit card. After that, just drive. Automated cameras will capture license plates and log your car at each leg, and charge the credit card automatically.

If you don't know and just drive on these roads, BIG fines will come to you later as you return the rental car.

I registered at an unmanned booth. And not all toll roads have these booths at the beginning. I had to plan to drive from Spain into Portugal via a toll road with this registration booth. And used Google Street View to see what it looked like.

Perhaps you can register via the Web now. And be sure to cancel the registration after the trip, or you may pay the tolls for the next renter.

PS. For people who inadvertently drive on these automated toll roads, you can avoid the fine by paying the charges in person at some places like the post office. It has to be done within a certain period, like a week or something.

Good to know. I bet a lot of folks get tricked by this as a tourist doesn't even know to look up this information. :flowers:

Good to know. I bet a lot of folks get tricked by this as a tourist doesn't even know to look up this information. :flowers:

I just stumbled on the above info when planning for my 2019 Spain/Basque/Portugal auto trek. And on the Web, I ran across a post by a British driver who complained of scarcity of the unmanned booths to register your car and supply your credit card.

And just recently, I saw on Rick Steve's site that while passing on the right, even on a multi-lane highway, is illegal in Europe, in Portugal it can result in a fine of 1000 euros. YIKES!

And just recently, I saw on Rick Steve's site that while passing on the right, even on a multi-lane highway, is illegal in Europe, in Portugal it can result in a fine of 1000 euros. YIKES!

I dare you to stay in the left lane on any German Autobahn. You've never been flashed and cussed at as much.

I was running 90 mph, the big BMW and Mercedes just about ran me off the road trying to make it from Stuttgart to Munich in one hour flat.

I dare you to stay in the left lane on any German Autobahn. You've never been flashed and cussed at as much.

I was running 90 mph, the big BMW and Mercedes just about ran me off the road trying to make it from Stuttgart to Munich in one hour flat.

I did not even want to maintain the speed limit of 130 km/hr (81 mph) on French and Italian freeways, let alone going faster on German autobahn. The lanes are smaller than US roads. It takes too much attention to keep the car centered, and it is too stressing.

The driving etiquette I want to talk about is this. On a deserted 3-lane freeway in northern Portugal, I was cruising along in the middle lane, going at perhaps 110 km/hr (69 mph). Because the road was empty, I did not pay attention and check my mirror often. Before I realized it, a car passed me on the left lane, then changed lane to be in front of me in the middle lane. He then turned on his right turn signal, then went to the rightmost lane.

He was telling me that I should not be out there on the middle lane, even if the road was empty with just his and my cars. He was signaling to me that I should follow him and go to the right lane. And I did that.

That's how they drive in Europe.

Last edited:
Yep, always stay to the right. Unless you’re in the UK.

Personally, I vary in how quick I drive while in Europe, but I always try to remind myself that I’m not in a hurry and should enjoy the scenery.

Back
Top Bottom