The future of car ownership, monthly subscriptions for basic features?

Update to an old thread - An article in today's news:
"BMW is backtracking on a controversial tactic — charging a monthly fee or subscription to activate hardware-based features in its cars such as heated seats."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bmw-...e-monthly-fee-for-heated-seats-145706845.html

According to a survey, "69% of respondents said that if certain features were available only via subscription for a particular brand, they would likely shop elsewhere."

Last edited:
^ Interesting.

I saw where GM might be surveying customers regarding their planned elimination of CarPlay and Android Auto, to be replaced with a proprietary GM subscription service. I would expect a similar negative response to this one from BMW.

We just bought a new '23 Jeep Wrangler Sport with heated seats and heated steering wheel. No indication, so far, that these are subscription based.

^ Interesting.

I saw where GM might be surveying customers regarding their planned elimination of CarPlay and Android Auto, to be replaced with a proprietary GM subscription service. I would expect a similar negative response to this one from BMW.

I’m already done with GM based on multiple prior experiences but this would definitely eliminate them from ever being in play in the future for us.

Until any car company comes up with something better than CarPlay… they had better keep offering it. I have yet to see an infotainment UI that’s as intuitive. BMW finally comes close IMO but still not there.

Back
Top Bottom