Falsely accused of extra guests

ikubak

Recycles dryer sheets
This forum has some of the smartest people out there so I want to bounce this off you guys and girls.

A host is accusing me of having 2 extra guests. I explained to customer service what happened and they side with the host. Here is the short version. I booked a small unit for me and the wife. We had to drive 6-7 hours to get there but my sister in-law asked us to pick her and her husband up at the airport since the 4 of us were going out to dinner in a town about 15 miles form the rental. We arrived from airport 15 min after check-in time and we all enter the unit to freshen up. We all had overnight bags, used the bathroom and prepared to go for a walk. Dinner reservations were not for another 2 hours and we all needed to stretch our legs.

Just as we are about to leave I get a txt from host asking if the unit is ok and asking for confirmation as to how many are needing accommodations that night. I responded that there will be 2 of us. We all look at each other and say 'this is creepy. Somebody is watching us." I knew there were security cameras and I am OK with some for security purposes but I'm getting a creepy vibe. We go for a walk. We come back after 90 minutes to freshen up and change into dinner clothes.

All four of us leave, my brother and sister in-law carrying their overnight bags since they will be staying with my nephew who is meeting us for dinner. On the way out I notice a camera about waist high on the landing outside the door. We laugh and cringe and joke about the creepiness and I stand in front of it and tell everyone to go down the stairs. The creepy camera can checkout my rear end while they descend the stairs.

We go to dinner and my wife and I return alone to the unit at 10:30pm. In the parking lot I notice a sign saying security cameras in use and I park right in front of one in the only visitor parking spot as requested by the owner. On the way up the stairs, DW and I make faces into the creepy camera (a few glasses of wine will do that to you). DW goes to bed and I start googling rental unit spying. I bone up on the subject and look inside the unit for hidden cameras. I find two things that look like they could be hidden cameras. I cover them with paper towels.

The next morning, after DW and I go for a walk I get a txt asking that I not cover up the security cameras. I told him there are no external security cameras that are covered. He later states that he has six external cameras and he sees us coming and going even if I'm standing infront of the one on the stairs. I'm ok with cameras on my car and in the parking lot. DW and I are not too keen on the creepy crotch-shot camera on the stairs. We return from the walk and get dressed for a party at my nephew's.

When leaving, I stand infront of the crotch shot cam while DW walks by and we go to party. Later that day I get a txt saying my reserv is cancelled, the authorities have been notified and are en route to remove my belongings from the unit. He said I had broken a local law against blocking the view of a security camera and he notified the large online rental company stating I had breached the contract by having 2 extra guests and breaking local laws. He also stated he was pressing charges for not being out of his unit within 2 hours.

There's more, but to conclude, we were charged for four people for one night and kicked out of our rental. Cust service was of no help. Before leaving town the next day we stopped by the PD to turn ourselves in since the host said he was pressing charges. I asked if a squad car had been dispatched to the rental the day before and the answer was no. There was no law against blocking the view of a security camera either.

If you're still with me, I got nowhere with cust service. I searched for how to resolve host accusing renter of extra guests but all I could find was hosts having to deal with renters who sneak in extra guests. The host is aggressive and hostile so I go through customer service. What would you guys do at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a charge back on your CC, tell the CC they charged the wrong amount.

FWIW, I am just guessing you are talking about AirBnB, but have no idea from your post. What is "a host"? What customer service? For all we know it is a brothel somewhere, and the cameras make is sound likely! Joking - but serious about being more specific.

However, I have no idea what kind of contract you accepted. Is this camera business common in AirBnBs? Ick!

Seems to me like you were charged extra for a service. If you have the original receipt, dispute with your credit card company stating what the invoice was for and what the actual charge should be. I run a lot of txn on my cards and some are fraud to be perfectly honest, the CC companies do a great job of reimbursing me if things like this happen. I've also tested them on things they shouldn't reimburse and they don't so whatever process they are running it works. If its fraud, report it as such.

External cameras are not unusual but must be disclosed. Internal cameras can be used if they are disclosed and not in an area where one would have the presumption of privacy, which is generally the bathroom and bedroom. I have read of people finding undisclosed internal camaras. There are some creepers out there. My host (the owner of the unit) did not disclose any internal cameras. He was quite proud of his six external cameras though. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, not sure if your contract will support this, but I’d work with the credit card company to try to get all my money back. Beyond that, I guess the extra charge for the guests that weren’t would be a reasonable solution. However, the main thing is that you’ve learned a lesson and thankfully shared it with others, so we’ve all learned that camera disclosure is something to be discussed as part of the rental. I would not accept any internal camera that I was not made completely aware of its location.

Speaking as someone with fourteen cameras installed in and around my home, I would not feel comfortable staying in a place where I was being watched that closely. A few external cameras around the property is one thing but there should be no cameras installed inside the property. If they disclose the cameras are installed I would not book a room there. It’s just creepy and over the top intrusive.

As for the OP’s situation, I think you need to read through the rental agreement and see what provisions are in there that may allow the host to do what he did and see what rights you may have and what rights you signed away.

This is one of the reasons we stay in actual hotels.

Once you stayover and have possession of a room, to remove you would require an eviction orde. That means he'd have to go through a court proceeding giving you your day in court. He couldn't just remove your possessions.

And until the judge makes a ruling, they cannot cut off the electricity/heating even.

The laws are slanted against the renter even. And in our state, the laws apply to anyone that you let stay over at you house--not even a BnB or commercial premise.

At the most, you owe him for one night for two guests.... but if the cost of the replacement room that you used for the other nights of your scheduled stay with him exceed what you would have paid him I would reduce what you owe him for that one night so you come out whole.

I would dispute the total amount with the credit card company since his stupidity ruined your trip. I would then text him and offer to settle with him for the amount described above and then ghost him for a week or so. If he doesn't want to settle for that reasonable number then please sue take me to small claims court and we'll argue it before a judge.

And definitely get on the website and give him a scathing review.

This is one of the reasons we stay in actual hotels.

We usually stay in hotels but occasionally stay in AirBnB-type accomodations and all except one have been very good experiences, and that one exception was just ok.

At the most, you owe him for one night for two guests.... but if the cost of the replacement room that you used for the other nights of your scheduled stay with him exceed what you would have paid him I would reduce what you owe him for that one night so you come out whole.

I would dispute the total amount with the credit card company since his stupidity ruined your trip. I would then text him and offer to settle with him for the amount described above and then ghost him for a week or so. If he doesn't want to settle for that reasonable number then please sue take me to small claims court and we'll argue it before a judge.

And definitely get on the website and give him a scathing review.

+1, except I would not bait him about going to court. I would definitely give him a scathing review---with mention of all the cameras.

Who is customer service and how did they explain siding with the host.I might escalate up the complaint chain.

I personally prefer proper hotels. At least they have to follow a common standard of cleanliness and how they charge customers and so on. Those hotels also have a better quality control on privacy (like cameras (or not) inside rooms.I have never had a problem if occasionally additional guest or two ended up staying with us.

I haven't used AirBnB type of system. Too much of a "Rating" games going on. Where everyone rates each other and you are at mercy of someone else's rating.

As for the recourse: your Credit Card company is your best friend. Call them and dispute the charge. You will still have to deal with all the hostility from the "Host" if he/she pursues.

Last edited:
A big +1 for staying in hotels. If you can't get a quick and easy chargeback from your bank, I'd write this off as a lesson and move on. The "sharing economy" has been a can of worms from the get-go. I've taken a couple of Lyft rides, though only when the regular taxis were long delayed. Various relatives have used Airbnb, but I won't go there. I like big brands and no small print.

Who is customer service and how did they explain siding with the host.I might escalate up the complaint chain.
Customer service is a text and/or a phone call with someone who will only give your their "stage" name. I called and explained everything on the phone and they never called me back. After many texts back and forth where I asked to see what allegations were made against me, I got the following:

After gathering and carefully reviewing all related documentation, we decided the host's claim that you violated the terms of the reservation by having additional guests are valid, and because this is so, the reservation was cancelled. We are not able to disclose information without the host's consent, because we do take security protocols seriously.

We consider this decision final.

Best regards,

A big +1 for staying in hotels. If you can't get a quick and easy chargeback from your bank, I'd write this off as a lesson and move on. The "sharing economy" has been a can of worms from the get-go. I've taken a couple of Lyft rides, though only when the regular taxis were long delayed. Various relatives have used Airbnb, but I won't go there. I like big brands and no small print.
I now agree. Big brands value their customers.

My head says this is a learning experience and it didn't cost that much. My heart says this is so wrong to be treated like this. I appreciate everyone's advice. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with the suggestions from this community.

Well now I want to know what kind of outfit you dealt with. Was it a local company, or national. The answer they gave you is pure crap and the way they use English is a red flag, as it seems like it wasn't a real person replying to you or someone outsourced to tell people to go away . Something is off here.. The whole episode is strange from beginning to end. .. the bit about involving the police is downright bizarre.

Last edited:

I've stayed in hotels with problems too...Airbnb and VRBO are like everything else do a little research ahead of time. Well go out West for at least a month every winter and I'm not staying in a hotel room for a month.

This sounds like the kind of thing the consumer reporter at a local tv station might like - they could then put pressure on Airbnb through the PR department. It’s not worth a lot of your time but it sounds like a bad host handled badly by the company.

This sounds like the kind of thing the consumer reporter at a local tv station might like - they could then put pressure on Airbnb through the PR department. It’s not worth a lot of your time but it sounds like a bad host handled badly by the company.

I did not see the OP say this was Airbnb.

For me, the biggest issue is the undisclosed internal cameras. I would find this infuriating.

Be more specific. Tell us who the host is and we'll all write horrible reviews.

For me, the biggest issue is the undisclosed internal cameras. I would find this infuriating.
I did not confirm there were any internal cameras. I got suspicious, searched the interior of the unit and ended up covering two items that I thought might be internal cameras. The reaction of the host makes me wonder if I was closing in on something he didn't want me to be find. DW was really creeped out while we were there. I was creeped out when the host started saying I broke laws and the PD was coming as well as a law suit. We actually ended up waiting over an hour for the police to arrive so we could make our case. The host was lying about the law and police coming. Strange stuff indeed.

Back
Top Bottom