Going fishing in PR with a guide - what to expect?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Somewhat on a whim, I decided to book a half day with a guide to go fishing while we are in Puerto Rico next week. This would be going for tarpon, permit, bonefish, etc, with either fly or spinning rod. I've never done this before, so it should be interesting. Is it customary to tip the guide? Anyone done this? What should I expect?

Somewhat on a whim, I decided to book a half day with a guide to go fishing while we are in Puerto Rico next week. This would be going for tarpon, permit, bonefish, etc, with either fly or spinning rod. I've never done this before, so it should be interesting. Is it customary to tip the guide? Anyone done this? What should I expect?

Be sure to get some pics. I miss Cutthroat's fish camp pictures.

Ha

It should be a lot of fun. Most guides provide everything except appropriate attire. If you are fly fishing be sure to practice up if it has been awhile. Casting a fly rod correctly is the hardest of all the fishing methods but it is very rewarding. Verify if they are providing food and beverage or if you need to bring that and do not forget sunscreen and a large brim hat.

It is customary to tip the guide if he did all he could to take care of you during the trip.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Any clue what an appropriate tip might be for a half day outing?

Thanks, NML. This is exactly what I needed:

"As a rule, you should plan on tipping $40-50 to a bonefish guide for day of work in the Bahamas or around the Caribbean and Central and South America."

NML is right on for a minimum tip. If you have a great day more would be appropriate.

Good luck. I'm not a fisherman, so can't help you with tips, but I hope the weather gets better. Been here for a couple of months and the weather has been rough a lot of the time. A lot of sun, but also a lot of passing showers with gusty wind making for heavy chop in the waters.

Our daughter and her bf are also coming next week, so I'm hoping for good weather for them as well.

Good luck. I'm not a fisherman, so can't help you with tips, but I hope the weather gets better. Been here for a couple of months and the weather has been rough a lot of the time. A lot of sun, but also a lot of passing showers with gusty wind making for heavy chop in the waters.

Our daughter and her bf are also coming next week, so I'm hoping for good weather for them as well.

Actually, we will be on Vieques and hopefully fishing in the flats will mean that I will be sheltered from the rough stuff.

Back
Top Bottom