Hawai'i Reopens - Sort Of

True dat!

At Maui Country Club, since May 1, we’ve actually ADDED 35 members, even after subtracting about 20 resignations. Some are like your Realtor, joined without ever visiting the club. Many others are 2nd generation kids of Members who have moved back. Others are California techies fleeing California. Jack Dorsey (Twitter) bot a small lot right at MCC’s entrance for ~$2mm.

Unemployment still about 30% here, as Maui’s economy is most dependent of all islands on tourism.

Some of the hi end restaurants (Mama’s, Hali’imaile) have said they MAY open before the end of the year. Depends on how tourism reopening goes. I haven’t dined in a restaurant since Valentines Day. Lots of food trucks and take out.

I don’t think any of the big resort hotels have been open since March. I saw a report that they were going to work together to plan reopening. We’ll see how that works.

Mask wearing is ubiquitous and many locals are vocally wary of the tourists bringing the Covid here with them.

It has been wonderful to not have tourists, from an uncrowded enjoyment of the natural world, and driving to get there, viewpoint. There were about 12,000 rental cars parked in fields and along the backroad to Costco.

But without tourism, I have no idea how the State of Hawaii will meet its financial obligations.

I think long-term, tourism WILL come back. It just may not be with the same owners/operators as now. In the interim, lots of folks will lose their business and life savings they invested in tour companies, small hotels, beach rentals, etc. etc. It is truly sad that we have to go through this. I think the effects will be around for a long time UNLESS we have a very successful vaccine (and vaccine roll out.) That's my prayer for the Islands right now. YMMV

We normally visit the Big Island once a year for a week or two vacation. It’s been tough to miss those vacations but the 14 day quarantine pretty much killed any possibility of a visit.

I’m glad to hear that things are beginning to open up. I imagine going to beaches and parks is pretty much back to normal now, but if you are looking for fine dining, guided tours, luaus, or other types of entertainment, it’s likely pretty sparse right now.

We normally visit the Big Island once a year for a week or two vacation. It’s been tough to miss those vacations but the 14 day quarantine pretty much killed any possibility of a visit.

I’m glad to hear that things are beginning to open up. I imagine going to beaches and parks is pretty much back to normal now, but if you are looking for fine dining, guided tours, luaus, or other types of entertainment, it’s likely pretty sparse right now.

Your assessment is pretty much correct. Very little is open - most restaurants can't make money at 25% occupancy. Tour companies can't really operate. I did see one of the two usual parasails out on our bay this week - woohoo! I hadn't seen that for 6 months. Who would think you would actually miss such a site?

But the good news: The local police are making us all safe from Covid infested tourists by prowling the beaches, looking for folks not wearing masks in the 20 mph sea breeze {or more than (this week, I think it's) 5 people together.}

It's truly bizarre seeing news accounts of 3 to 4 officers lurking behind palm trees by the side walk. Suddenly, they swoop down on folks by the water - two or 3 off-road vehicles throwing sand everywhere, converging on frightened, surprised tourists - ticket books at the ready. Here's the amazing thing. The penalty upon conviction: $5000 fine and (I think) up to 1 years in prison.

Best one I saw was 4 (maybe 5) officers approaching ONE hotel room to insure that a quarantined visitor was actually in the room. I feel a lot safer but YMMV.:popcorn:

But the good news: The local police are making us all safe from Covid infested tourists by prowling the beaches, looking for folks not wearing masks in the 20 mph sea breeze {or more than (this week, I think it's) 5 people together.}

You have to wear a mask at the beach? How odd. Obviously you can’t wear it while you are swimming so how much time do you get once you get out of the water before you are in violation?

This feels a little to draconian to me. Hawaii has some pretty big beaches. With the small number of tourists out there I would think there is plenty of room to spread out.

No mask wearing on beaches in Kauai right now. Plenty of space to be socially distanced. Everyone, visitors and residents, are wearing masks everywhere else. As far as restaurants go. We are finding about 1/3 of our usual haunts open. They are having no problem seating everyone. There are not a lot of visitors yet. I think things will ramp up in Nov. Lots of restaurants and tours have openings planned Nov 1 to 15. All residents we have spoken to are hopeful Covid cases stay low so there is no tightening up on opening plans. Several we talked to were very happy to returning to work (tourism related jobs).

You have to wear a mask at the beach? How odd. Obviously you can’t wear it while you are swimming so how much time do you get once you get out of the water before you are in violation?

This feels a little to draconian to me. Hawaii has some pretty big beaches. With the small number of tourists out there I would think there is plenty of room to spread out.

On Oahu, out of the water means wearing a mask outside. So on the beach or in Costco or walking on the side walk - even all by yourself with no one to infect - you must wear a mask.

I agree the issue is a bit draconian - especially with multiple officers swooping in from multiple directions (on 4 wheelers) to make arrests of "dangerous" people in bikinis and trunks.

One guy who ran afoul of the stay-out-of-the-parks rule (back in Tier 1, I think.):

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/bu...eral-caught-violating-restrictions-in-hawaii/

Showing the extent of the issue is this relatively recent story:

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/09/h...-an-unprecedented-number-of-pandemic-tickets/

NOTE THAT THIS IS A CRIMINAL NOT CIVIL OFFESE - It would be roughly equivalent to DWI arrest at a check point: Forget applying for any j*b requiring background check after being arrested on the beach. I love my adopted state but I'm embarrassed by our approach to the Pandemic. YMMV

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local...on-at-airport-for-enhanced-covid-19-measures/

A small demonstration urging more defined procedures to cope with tourism on Maui.

Anyone familiar with the Perseus anonymous contact tracing phone app?

Sorry, not familiar with Perseus. Arrivals in HON had to accept an app to help the powers-that-be track those required to remain quarantined. I think I have that right since I'm just going by news reports and I could have it wrong. I know there is an app for new arrivals (now) that show a negative Covid test.

With all the stories of how apps can open up your phone for any number of hackings and other abuses, I wonder if we'll eventually find some "down side" (other than the obvious) to this well-intentioned safe guard for Oahu. As always, we have to play this game of trading off security vs privacy, vs autonomy vs freedom etc. Everyone has a different opinion (like noses, etc.) so YMMV.

NOTE THAT THIS IS A CRIMINAL NOT CIVIL OFFESE - It would be roughly equivalent to DWI arrest at a check point: Forget applying for any j*b requiring background check after being arrested on the beach. I love my adopted state but I'm embarrassed by our approach to the Pandemic. YMMV

I am puzzled - what would you think is a solution that would work? They tried warnings. Eleven thousand of them. That didn't work.

So - your solution is....?

“A lot of people think we need to do more warnings,” Honolulu Police Chief Susan Ballard told the Honolulu Police Commission Wednesday as she recited the numbers. “Well, we did warn from March until August, we had over 11,000 warnings. We actually had more warnings than we did citations. It did not work. The numbers kept coming up. So we switched to more enforcement.”

That’s what I want to know!
InstantCart will deliver COSTCO or other store's groceries.... We just moved, and we did InstantCart from COSTCO, Sam's Club grocery delivery, and had a couple of restaurants deliver food.

BTW, Kauai and Hawaii Island have different rules than Hawaii regarding pre-screening (Hawaii Island also requires a post-arrival test). Not a great time to travel here, IMHO.

Lanai has 80+ cases that just cropped up!

I love Hawaii. Been there multiple times and even asked DW to marry me on one of the islands. But, if we are going to spend money to visit any of the islands, my preference would to enjoy it and not worry about such measures.

We'll wait a year or two before we next visit.

I am puzzled - what would you think is a solution that would work? They tried warnings. Eleven thousand of them. That didn't work.

So - your solution is....?

The POLICE want to make it a civil offense - fine only. I think that would be a better solution. We do that for speeding which is a killer, right?

Were you aware that the "law" is not posted on the Honolulu web site? IOW, most folks do not know that it's a criminal offense. The web site (as of yesterday) says masks are recommended. How about at least posting signs on the beach and in parks? We already do that JUST for littering - with the penalties listed.

What's your solution?

What's your solution?

I don't have one since I don't have live there and have no plans to visit, nor did I complain about the present practices.

It's just one of many irritations when someone complains about/criticizes current practices for [whatever] but offers no better alternative.

I don't have one since I don't have live there and have no plans to visit, nor did I complain about the present practices.

It's just one of many irritations when someone complains about/criticizes current practices for [whatever] but offers no better alternative.

Hmmm. I was thinking "complaining" and disagreeing was all American. And, at your promoting, I was more than happy to offer an alternative.

Okay. You're welcome to disagree with me, but I DID give you MY alternative which you asked me for. So, you're saying you don't have an opinion on my alternative, but you are 'irritated' when folks disagree with the status quo. With that approach, we'd still be part of GB instead of USA but YMMV.

Maybe my Hawaiian vacations are just over. By the time this whole CV-19 mess gets sorted out, the list of people heading to the islands will be huge. I go because I like to get away from the crowds, not become one in them. I figure it will take years before things are back to normal and I live my life as if I won't live that long. I guess I'll just have to evaluate each year. My favorite time and island is Maui in time for Halloween and before Thanksgiving. Other than the big street party in Lahaina, it's a mellow time to go. I'll stop and pick up a fishing rig at the local Walmart, a box of frozen squid and pack my grass mat before heading to any number of secret fishing spots I hit up. When it's time to leave, it's not hard to find a kid who'll take the fishing gear off my hands. While I relax with a pole in my hands, watching the ocean, DW is enjoying her version of Hawaii with spa treatments, shopping and long naps while reading.
I really miss the food too. Food trucks and small carts. I'll take my catch to one and trade it for credit towards their cooking. Yum!

I hope Horjitos is still open up there near Kam I. The $2 fish tacos couldnt be beat.

I hope Horjitos is still open up there near Kam I. The $2 fish tacos couldnt be beat.

Not familiar with that one and I couldn't find via the net. We've been to Wahoo's Fish Tacos - it's not my thing, but they are very popular and in a great location unless you're stuck in Waikiki. YMMV

We have 2 weeks planned In Maui this April. It was supposed to be a 6 week island hopper in celebration of our retirement. Hoping for the best even if testing and masks are still required.

They've been talking about a light rail here for the 24 years since I moved here (and according to Frank, decades before that!). I don't know WHAT it is that attracts the powers that be to light rail systems.

Opportunities for graft.

Opportunities for graft.

What? Graft and corruption in Louisiana politics? Oh perish the thought. :LOL:

Actually that is what I was thinking too, but didn't say it because I thought others might think I was being too pessimistic.

What? Graft and corruption in Louisiana politics? Oh perish the thought. :LOL:

Actually that is what I was thinking too, but didn't say it because I thought others might think I was being too pessimistic.

Uh, do ya mean 'Parish' the thought?:angel:

Another perspective

We are currently in Wailea, Maui, and have been here since Sept. 30th. We are staying until December 16th. We did the 2-week quarantine, completing 2 1000-piece jigsaw puzzles and ordering all of our food from Safeway, Foodland, and Costco (yes, Costco delivers!). We burst out of the house with joy on October 14th!

We are having the time of our lives! Hawaii opened up with the 72-hr test requirement on October 15th. Guests have started to trickle in, but by no means is it a stampede. Apparently the airports were a little jammed trying to smooth out the process, but it gets easier every day for arriving tourists.

We have walked and gone swimming at the beach every day, eaten outdoors at Lineage, the 5 Palms, Home Maid Cafe, Kamana Kitchen, Kihei Cafe, and even went on a sunset dinner cruise!

The Wailea Hotel has been open for a couple of weeks, and word is that the Fairmont is opening today.

Case counts are extremely low on Maui island (about 0-3 per day); hopefully it will stay that way! I check the local news every day, and after 15 days of pre-testing tourists, I haven’t heard any problems with tourists bringing in the virus.

Just thought I’d share my experiences, I’m so glad we bit the bullet and decided to come!

We are currently in Wailea, Maui, and have been here since Sept. 30th. We are staying until December 16th. We did the 2-week quarantine, completing 2 1000-piece jigsaw puzzles and ordering all of our food from Safeway, Foodland, and Costco (yes, Costco delivers!). We burst out of the house with joy on October 14th!

We are having the time of our lives! Hawaii opened up with the 72-hr test requirement on October 15th. Guests have started to trickle in, but by no means is it a stampede. Apparently the airports were a little jammed trying to smooth out the process, but it gets easier every day for arriving tourists.

We have walked and gone swimming at the beach every day, eaten outdoors at Lineage, the 5 Palms, Home Maid Cafe, Kamana Kitchen, Kihei Cafe, and even went on a sunset dinner cruise!

The Wailea Hotel has been open for a couple of weeks, and word is that the Fairmont is opening today.

Case counts are extremely low on Maui island (about 0-3 per day); hopefully it will stay that way! I check the local news every day, and after 15 days of pre-testing tourists, I haven’t heard any problems with tourists bringing in the virus.

Just thought I’d share my experiences, I’m so glad we bit the bullet and decided to come!

I am so happy that your trip is working out. Hawaii literally lives (or dies) on our tourism. We have a lot to offer and are happy to share it. I fear that too many of our mom/pop tourism businesses will never return in their former state. Certainly, someone will step in and take up the slack when Covid is totally under control. I'm just afraid some of the "flavor" will never return when larger companies swallow up the defunct smaller ones.

But, I'm being morose instead of celebratory. Please enjoy our beautiful Islands. Much aloha.

Back
Top Bottom