I have COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

caninelover

Full time employment: Posting here.
My megacorp has been allowing us to work from home since mid-March (we are in SoCal) and I only leave the house 1 day a week since then (Saturdays, to go to Trader Joes - which limits people in store and generally tries to maintain social distancing). We are in a subarban area with just me and my SO in a large townhouse with our own small yard, so no reason for us to leave except for grocery runs. SO also works from home.

Today I woke up with a backache and thought nothing of it - maybe I slept wrong or overdid it on the stationary bike we have in our house. Took two ibuprofen and went on with my workday from home.

Later in the afternoon the aches got worse and I started to feel very cold and chills. Got under the covers but thought it was nothing (I am at an age where hot flashes come and go, unfortunately). Chills and aches got worse though so I took my temperature and was running a fever of 99. Still not concerned at that point but took temperature again in 30 minutes and it spiked to 101. Called my doctor who called me back on video call. Ran through my symptoms and it is suspected COVID-19. We know it is not flu as I had a flu shot, but then had the actual flu in January (tested positive via nasal swab for flu, and responded well on Tamiflu).

They will monitor me through the weekend but they advised against a test as they are still trying to save them for people with underlying conditions or first responders. They did prescribe a z-pak as there is some evidence it can prevent pneumonia in cases of healthy people with coronavirus. Also it will clear out any other underlying infection if something else is causing the fever and aches.

I do feel ok other than the aches and fever which is holding steady at 101. Chills are already gone and I have no cough or shortness of breath (knock on wood it stays that way). I am quarantining in upstairs bedroom and SO is downstairs and bringing up food/water and leaving it by the door. I am scared to getting him sick.

I hope this passes soon. It is scary and I have stopped watching the news altogether. Please send me healing thoughts. I keep thinking most people do recover and perhaps I can donate my blood to help with antibody studies when I am well again.

So sorry you have fallen ill. Sending prayers for a quick recovery.
Keep us informed as to your progress on beating this awful virus.
Try to stay positive, you are correct — most people fully recover. I think I’d skip the news, too. Nothing there but the blame game. Be aware of current promising therapies that are available - and make sure your SO knows to ask for them in the unlikely event you’d need them.
Rest, hydrate as much as possible, listen to some nice music. Again, sending prayers for recovery and some peace of mind while that happens.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear! I hope you feel better. But I think your doctor is giving you bad advice. California has enough test kits to test anyone who wants a COVID-19 test. You and your SO should both get tested so that you can confirm this is what you have, and then you can do any contact tracing with anyone else who you may have been in contact with recently.

There is no reason to avoid taking a test at this point in time. There is no downside, and if you don’t have it, you may have something else that has a different treatment plan. And if your SO has it but is asymptomatic they would want to know this so that they can decide whether to avoid doing any grocery shopping or other errands outside of the house.

My megacorp has been allowing us to work from home since mid-March (we are in SoCal) and I only leave the house 1 day a week since then (Saturdays, to go to Trader Joes - which limits people in store and generally tries to maintain social distancing). We are in a subarban area with just me and my SO in a large townhouse with our own small yard, so no reason for us to leave except for grocery runs. SO also works from home.

Today I woke up with a backache and thought nothing of it - maybe I slept wrong or overdid it on the stationary bike we have in our house. Took two ibuprofen and went on with my workday from home.

Later in the afternoon the aches got worse and I started to feel very cold and chills. Got under the covers but thought it was nothing (I am at an age where hot flashes come and go, unfortunately). Chills and aches got worse though so I took my temperature and was running a fever of 99. Still not concerned at that point but took temperature again in 30 minutes and it spiked to 101. Called my doctor who called me back on video call. Ran through my symptoms and it is suspected COVID-19. We know it is not flu as I had a flu shot, but then had the actual flu in January (tested positive via nasal swab for flu, and responded well on Tamiflu).

They will monitor me through the weekend but they advised against a test as they are still trying to save them for people with underlying conditions or first responders. They did prescribe a z-pak as there is some evidence it can prevent pneumonia in cases of healthy people with coronavirus. Also it will clear out any other underlying infection if something else is causing the fever and aches.

I do feel ok other than the aches and fever which is holding steady at 101. Chills are already gone and I have no cough or shortness of breath (knock on wood it stays that way). I am quarantining in upstairs bedroom and SO is downstairs and bringing up food/water and leaving it by the door. I am scared to getting him sick.

I hope this passes soon. It is scary and I have stopped watching the news altogether. Please send me healing thoughts. I keep thinking most people do recover and perhaps I can donate my blood to help with antibody studies when I am well again.
My mom and dad are here visiting for the weekend. They are the safest people we could have over as they both have recovered from coronavirus. Mom had a scary case, dad didn't. They are 77 and 74. I think 11 members of my family had it. Only 2 were tested. Everyone recovered. No one recommends it. It's a miserable virus. Wish you well. I'm praying for you.

Sorry to hear of your situation and I hope that like many others that for you COVID is just like the flu and you recover soon with no ill effects.

But to be clear, you don't know for sure that you have COVID because you have not been tested positive... you are just suspected of having COVID based on your symptoms and recent medical history.... right?

Maybe true, but the testing facility near us was already closed for the weekend. They open Monday at 8 am (drive thru) so I may go then to confirm. Will decide Sunday night, probably, as long as symptoms don't get worse over the weekend.
Sorry to hear! I hope you feel better. But I think your doctor is giving you bad advice. California has enough test kits to test anyone who wants a COVID-19 test. You and your SO should both get tested so that you can confirm this is what you have, and then you can do any contact tracing with anyone else who you may have been in contact with recently.

There is no reason to avoid taking a test at this point in time. There is no downside, and if you don’t have it, you may have something else that has a different treatment plan. And if your SO has it but is asymptomatic they would want to know this so that they can decide whether to avoid doing any grocery shopping or other errands outside of the house.

Yep...that is where I am right now. I may want to know eventually if it really is. I had a nasal swab for the flu test, and it isn't fun. I think they took part of my brain.
Sorry to hear of your situation and I hope that like many others that for you COVID is just like the flu and you recover soon with no ill effects.

But to be clear, you don't know for sure that you have COVID because you have not been tested positive... you are just suspected of having COVID based on your symptoms and recent medical history.... right?

Thanks Free. My fever is already down to 99.6 from 101 so the Tylenol is helping (I was told to stop taking ibuprofen)
So sorry you have fallen ill. Sending prayers for a quick recovery.
Keep us informed as to your progress on beating this awful virus.
Try to stay positive, you are correct — most people fully recover. I think I’d skip the news, too. Nothing there but the blame game. Be aware of current promising therapies that are available - and make sure your SO knows to ask for them in the unlikely event you’d need them.
Rest, hydrate as much as possible, listen to some nice music. Again, sending prayers for recovery and some peace of mind while that happens.

Wishing you a complete recovery and minimum symptoms. Take care and get well.

caninelover, wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

Your story concerns me regarding how careful you apparently were yet you weren't able to avoid getting the virus. Looks like DW and I may be staying home and doing curbside grocery pick up for quite a while.

caninelover, so glad to hear that your fever is responding well to the Tylenol and that symptoms aren't spiking. Hang in there and know that so many are rooting for you! I guess the big plus for going ahead with the testing if it were me, would be because of having another person in the house who's taking care of you. It would be great if you could both get tested on Monday. Keeping you in my good thoughts.

Your story concerns me regarding how careful you apparently were yet you weren't able to avoid getting the virus. Looks like DW and I may be staying home and doing curbside grocery pick up for quite a while.
I know. There aren't that many cases in total in my county yet either (400). Oh well. I guess if it is coronavirus I will probably never know how I got it.

Thanks steady. I looked for the testing criteria at our local facility and I may qualify so I will likely try and go Monday when they open. I will let you know if I am able to get tested.
caninelover, so glad to hear that your fever is responding well to the Tylenol and that symptoms aren't spiking. Hang in there and know that so many are rooting for you! I guess the big plus for going ahead with the testing if it were me, would be because of having another person in the house who's taking care of you. It would be great if you could both get tested on Monday. Keeping you in my good thoughts.

+1

caninelover, what dreadful news and I hope you can ditch this terrible virus!

Like REWahoo, I am concerned about the fact that you were so careful, and still got the virus. Sadly this may be an illustration of how terribly contagious it is.

Good luck and a quick recovery! Keep us up-to-date with your battle with the virus. Living in California, I think you have access to some of the best medical treatment in the nation. I hope your symptoms are minimal and you get to feeling better soon.

I know. There aren't that many cases in total in my county yet either (400). Oh well. I guess if it is coronavirus I will probably never know how I got it.

Wishing you well, keep us informed if it's not too much trouble.

I'm curious, and wondering at how infectious this is for a careful person.

Are you certain that both of you only went to the grocery store in the past 2 weeks ?
No talk with neighbor's or petting neighbor dogs ?
Was the Trader Joe's crowded/empty, people wearing/not wearing masks ?

.... Your story concerns me regarding how careful you apparently were yet you weren't able to avoid getting the virus. Looks like DW and I may be staying home and doing curbside grocery pick up for quite a while.

That is the great dilemma. It seems to me that one could be super careful and do all the "right" things and still get it. At the same time, someone else could be relatively cavalier and end up NOT getting it.

I'm trying to dance on a fine line of being prudent but not being paranoid.

Last edited:
Caninelover, I wish you all the best, and hope that you recover soon. Good thing you have your SO to look after you.

Caninelover - wish you a full recovery. I would want to take the test.

Sounds like you are over the hump. You are probably part of the herd that doesn't have a bad reaction. I would not worry about a test. Good for you.

I hope me and my family are the same. My wife works in a major hospital, pharmacy tech, and I think my whole family already had it too. But, I am still very very careful.

Do you exercise or take any supplements?

I take a multi, a B, C and D supp.and a probiotic to boost my immune system. I always eat fruits and veggies, but since covid, I eat more. It is starting to look like too many pills.

What can I do?

I wear my homemade mask everywhere and double it up with a cool balaclava. I have a bunch. This way I don't touch it as much. It goes on in the garage and stays on until I get back in the garage.

I have 5 mask set ups and wash them after 1 use. I leave the house only to work and shop as little as possible.

My wife wants to go shopping tomorrow and we really don't need to, but I am going to mask up and take her.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom