I have COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize some people object to my claim that 'I have COVID 19' without a test. Although a test provides a nice confirming data point (and as noted I tried to get one yesterday), in the absence of that test - well if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then I am comfortable calling it duck but YMMV.

I am very grateful and relieved to be feeling well, that SO is well, and look forward to putting this bug and quarantine behind me soon.

Thanks for this latest report. Glad to hear you are feeling OK, but now worried about your partner :(

Too bad the thread went into the testing debate, but there's nowhere else this is being argued.... wait a minute, nevermind.

As to being a duck... it's a duck. Even if it's some other communicable disease, like the seasonal flu (which it isn't), the point is that you took precautions and still came down with something.

PS no need to be rude. It is not “wishful thinking” that none of those who tested positive had symptoms. But again, never mind.

I'm sorry you read it that way, I did not at all mean to offend, and while I quoted your post I was referring to several comments yesterday seeming to imply we're close to herd immunity in some areas.

I think we all are looking for good news and want to believe that we're all at less risk - and the idea that a majority swath of the population has already had it is very attractive - to me too of course - it's just not there yet.

Thanks Seng - partner is fine and cough is like mine, minor and transient - so it is there for a few minutes, then not there for an hour or so. Lather, rinse, repeat. He has no fever or other symptoms at all, so looks like if he did catch it then it was a minor case, thank goodness.

LOL on the testing debate. I feel like it will be debated anywhere and everywhere for the next couple/few months.

Yes, this thing is very contagious and I think anyone can get it even with precautions. I guess its like wearing a seat belt - it doesn't guarantee you won't die in a car crash but it does greatly diminish the odds - so you continue to buckle up and play the odds.

Thanks for this latest report. Glad to hear you are feeling OK, but now worried about your partner :(

Too bad the thread went into the testing debate, but there's nowhere else this is being argued.... wait a minute, nevermind.

As to being a duck... it's a duck. Even if it's some other communicable disease, like the seasonal flu (which it isn't), the point is that you took precautions and still came down with something.

Quarantine, Day 6: Done with this

I am feeling completely fine and finished the last of my Z-Pak with dinner last night. SO has a minor transient cough but otherwise no symptoms. All is well and we are both feeling confident in our health, at least for now. :dance:

This morning we came to the decision to end our in-home self-isolation a little early. We were originally going to maintain until Friday but given how good I (and he) feels we're going back to normal home life. So I can now roam our house freely and get my own tea/snacks/lunch and I will prepare our dinner tonight (as I normally cook for us). SO will also also return to sleeping in the master bedroom versus the downstairs guest room that he's been sleeping in since last Friday.

We'll continue to quarantine ourselves from the outside world for another week, to the recommended 14 days to be really safe. So this will be my last quarantine diary entry. :greetings10:

I very much appreciate my SO's care-giving during these past few days. I can't imagine not having him here through this. He is my best friend and most favorite person in the whole world and I am so happy to be able to be near him again. After I can get to the grocery store again (not this weekend, but the following) I am declaring an SO Appreciation Day in the caninelover household. This will consist of my bringing him breakfast in bed on a nice, lazy Sunday morning. Then his favorite dinner (chicken marsala, homemade pasta, and roasted veggies) while he relaxes all day and I wait on him hand and foot :)

Thanks to everyone for their good thoughts, well wishes, and prayers during the past few days. :flowers:

I am feeling completely fine and finished the last of my Z-Pak with dinner last night. SO has a minor transient cough but otherwise no symptoms. All is well and we are both feeling confident in our health, at least for now. :dance:

This morning we came to the decision to end our in-home self-isolation a little early. We were originally going to maintain until Friday but given how good I (and he) feels we're going back to normal home life. So I can now roam our house freely and get my own tea/snacks/lunch and I will prepare our dinner tonight (as I normally cook for us). SO will also also return to sleeping in the master bedroom versus the downstairs guest room that he's been sleeping in since last Friday.

We'll continue to quarantine ourselves from the outside world for another week, to the recommended 14 days to be really safe. So this will be my last quarantine diary entry. :greetings10:

I very much appreciate my SO's care-giving during these past few days. I can't imagine not having him here through this. He is my best friend and most favorite person in the whole world and I am so happy to be able to be near him again. After I can get to the grocery store again (not this weekend, but the following) I am declaring an SO Appreciation Day in the caninelover household. This will consist of my bringing him breakfast in bed on a nice, lazy Sunday morning. Then his favorite dinner (chicken marsala, homemade pasta, and roasted veggies) while he relaxes all day and I wait on him hand and foot :)

Thanks to everyone for their good thoughts, well wishes, and prayers during the past few days. :flowers:

Glad you both are doing well, I'm wondering more then now then ever if you simply caught some random virus rather then COVID

PS no need to be rude. It is not “wishful thinking” that none of those who tested positive had symptoms. But again, never mind.

I think that comment was in reference to “news” posted in this forum without reference that 30% to 80% of the US population already being exposed.

Just be aware that it’s not unusual to feel much better on Day 6, but then worse again on Day 7. And then that might be the end of it, but some folks have difficulty after Day 7.

caninelover, so glad you and SO are dong so well. Sounds like you did everything right. Let's assume you did have the coronavirus --do I remember correctly that the only place you were out before you caught this was grocery shopping at Trader Joe's? Did you go inside the grocery store (did not do delivery or curbside)? Did you wear a mask? What precautions did you take with your groceries when you got home? I am not trying to say you did anything wrong at all, obviously you did everything right because you are now well--I am just trying not to catch this thing myself (I am high risk) and trying to figure out how to get groceries myself without catching it. Thanks so much for helping me.

Yeah, I saw that showing that there was very likely community spread in Santa Clara County CA in January.
I'm surprised any source would admit that. It doesn't fit the narrative. Once the discussions turn to late 2019 as early exposure in the U.S., we'll probably be closer to the truth. IMO.

I'm surprised any source would admit that. It doesn't fit the narrative. Once the discussions turn to late 2019 as early exposure in the U.S., we'll probably be closer to the truth. IMO.
What? I don’t understand your comment.

Death in Santa Clara on Feb 6, turns out to be COVID-19 confirmed by CDC. Individual had no known history of travel. Would have caught it in January indicating could have been community spread then.

Are you saying that you are surprised that the CDC would confirm this new earliest US death from COVID-19?
“What it means is we had coronavirus circulating in the community much earlier than we had documented and much earlier than we had thought,” said Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County’s public health officer. “Those deaths probably represent many, many more infections. And so there had to be chains of transmission that go back much earlier.”

Cody did not provide details about the people who died in February but said the deaths “tell us we had community transmission - probably significant community transmission - far before we realized it and documented it.”

“From what we understand, neither of the cases had a history of travel,” Cody said. “So we assume that they were acquired locally.”

People typically die of COVID-19 about a month after they are infected with the coronavirus, suggesting that the person who died Feb. 6 likely was infected in early January. At that time, the virus had been reported only in China — the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had not yet issued any advisories to Americans about the potential threat.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/...-S-coronavirus-death-occurred-on-15217316.php

Last edited:
caninelover, so glad you and SO are dong so well. Sounds like you did everything right. Let's assume you did have the coronavirus --do I remember correctly that the only place you were out before you caught this was grocery shopping at Trader Joe's? Did you go inside the grocery store (did not do delivery or curbside)? Did you wear a mask? What precautions did you take with your groceries when you got home? I am not trying to say you did anything wrong at all, obviously you did everything right because you are now well--I am just trying not to catch this thing myself (I am high risk) and trying to figure out how to get groceries myself without catching it. Thanks so much for helping me.

Thanks Harlee, yes it was Trader Joe's 6 days prior to showing symptoms. That was my only venture to the outside world. I did go outside for a walk in the neighborhood the day before I showed symptoms, but I only saw about 3 people and they were a good distance away, so I don't believe it was that.

I did go inside the Trader Joes, and wore a bandana over my mouth/nose. I washed my hands when I got home, and SO helped me put away groceries. We washed 'open' (i.e. not pre-packaged or peel-able like bananas) and wiped down outer packaging on everything else. Then washed our own hands.

I hope that helps - please stay safe.

Fingers crossed - I hope not but will report back if that is the case.
Just be aware that it’s not unusual to feel much better on Day 6, but then worse again on Day 7. And then that might be the end of it, but some folks have difficulty after Day 7.

Thanks Harlee, yes it was Trader Joe's 6 days prior to showing symptoms. That was my only venture to the outside world. I did go outside for a walk in the neighborhood the day before I showed symptoms, but I only saw about 3 people and they were a good distance away, so I don't believe it was that.

I did go inside the Trader Joes, and wore a bandana over my mouth/nose. I washed my hands when I got home, and SO helped me put away groceries. We washed 'open' (i.e. not pre-packaged or peel-able like bananas) and wiped down outer packaging on everything else. Then washed our own hands.

I hope that helps - please stay safe.

Caninelover, thanks for the info. Sounds like you were about as safe as could be. So if you got the coronavirus during that grocery shopping trip there is probably no way someone like me who is high risk can safely go grocery shopping. I have been doing Walmart pick up every 2 weeks but that may not be safe either. Maybe I should try grocery delivery but so far cannot find open delivery slots. Very scary times.

Seconding this. My son had suspected COVID in early March. Health 17 year old - captain of the swim team, picture of health.... Whatever he had knocked him on his booty. High fevers. Telemed doctor had him go into office for strep test. Negative. About day 6 or 7 the fever broke. He went back to school and was sent home by teachers because he was still lethargic. Fever came back with a vengeance for another 3 days. Tried aggressively to get him tested - Dr. tested for influenza (he'd had the flu shot) and unsurprisingly it was negative. But Dr. would NOT test for COVID despite having all the symptoms except the actual need for a ventilator. A few days later he was fine - and after 48 hours of no fever he returned to school again - just in time to be told school was transitioning to distance learning.

Don't be surprised if there is a second round of fever.

Oh - and he missed two midterms while he was out sick and the teachers haven't figured out how to give him makeup tests... so his grades in 2 classes tanked.... Hopefully they'll figure it out before the end of the semester.

I am so glad to hear you are doing better. Regardless of whether it was COVID or not - it is good it was not more serious... but stay alert - it might come back.

And now this:

What are 'COVID toes'? New skin condition possibly linked to coronavirus https://www.9news.com/article/news/...virus/73-a7a81a13-2d21-42d2-8eb0-477cf4e5b662

Dr. Paller said because testing has been so limited, they can't definitively say yet whether or not the condition is linked to coronavirus.

"We're seeing this in unprecedented numbers during a COVID pandemic, so we have to think that there might be a relationship," Dr. Paller explained to Chicago's WGN-TV.

Caninelover, thanks for the info. Sounds like you were about as safe as could be. So if you got the coronavirus during that grocery shopping trip there is probably no way someone like me who is high risk can safely go grocery shopping. I have been doing Walmart pick up every 2 weeks but that may not be safe either. Maybe I should try grocery delivery but so far cannot find open delivery slots. Very scary times.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Maybe my posts are just being ignored or something. This is the last time I'm going to say this. OP may have coronavirus. OP may not have coronavirus. It hasn't been able to be confirmed. Therefore, jumping to the conclusion that OP got coronavirus from going to the grocery store and now high risk people aren't even safe going grocery shopping is not warranted, IMO.

BTW, I read an account of a woman who claimed she didn't even leave her house and got coronavirus. She was confirmed. She lived with her husband. She got all their groceries via grocery delivery. The delivery person later tested positive for coronavirus. Therefore, her conclusion was that she got the coronavirus from the grocery delivery person. If that is true, then one might conclude that even grocery delivery isn't safe. Yet many people are getting grocery delivery every day without getting coronavirus. Did she wash her hands after putting the groceries away? Did the husband also never leave the house? Details, details...

The only certainty is that nothing is certain. Oh, and you still have to eat somehow. :)

Last edited:
gwraigty, I am just scared and concerned for my husband and me (both high risk) and am trying to get as much information as I can to make an informed decision. I do wish the OP had been able to get tested so we would know for sure if she got the coronavirus from grocery shopping but she tried and could not get tested. So for now I am going to assume she got the coronavirus from grocery shopping and act accordingly. No way am I going into a grocery store right now. You go your way and I will go my way.

This might be interesting.

https://covidentify.org/

What is the study?
Our team of doctors and scientists are investigating whether the data from your smartphone and smartwatch can help determine whether or not you have a COVID-19 infection, and how severe the infection is expected to get. All we ask is that you answer two simple questions each day for 30 days and then every week for 2 months. We will explore whether there is a relationship with your smartphone and smartwatch data.

Do I need a smart watch or smart phone to participate?
No! You just need to have a computer to sign up.

gwraigty, I am just scared and concerned for my husband and me (both high risk) and am trying to get as much information as I can to make an informed decision. I do wish the OP had been able to get tested so we would know for sure if she got the coronavirus from grocery shopping but she tried and could not get tested. So for now I am going to assume she got the coronavirus from grocery shopping and act accordingly. No way am I going into a grocery store right now. You go your way and I will go my way.

I may have quoted some of your post, but my response to it wasn't all about you. I understand you're scared and concerned. I'm not trying to force you or anyone else to do things my way. I'm just trying to make people stop and think before going into an all-out panic based on speculation instead of fact. It's not my intention to offend. :) I didn't say you or anyone else should go into a grocery store. It doesn't matter to me how anyone decides to grocery shop. The less people in the store, the nicer it is for me.

This is just a thought meant for anyone who cares to think about it. From the OP:

I only leave the house 1 day a week since then (Saturdays, to go to Trader Joes - which limits people in store and generally tries to maintain social distancing).

To put this into perspective, Saturday is usually a busy time to shop anywhere, much less in a store like Trader Joe's, which typically has a smaller footprint than most chain grocery stores. I used to shop at one about once a month on a weekday. Their carts are smaller. Their aisles are smaller. Two carts could barely squeeze past each other in the aisles. Someone on this forum reported seeing 30 to 40 people waiting in line outside a Trader Joe's. Were they social distancing? I'd bet not. How long were they waiting to get in? Probably too long to be standing that close to each other.

That was my main concern when Ohio started limiting the number of people in stores. I dreaded the thought of having to wait in a line. I haven't had to wait in a line yet. I don't go grocery shopping on the weekend. That probably helps. A cashier told me that they do have lines of people waiting outside on the weekend. Therefore, the logical conclusion is to avoid grocery shopping on the weekend, when you can. I don't mean to offend. I tend to think more logically and it's hard for me sometimes to be patient when I feel like I'm stating the obvious.

A friend of mine is now working from home, but it's only a fraction of what she used to have to do. She told me via Facebook - yes, I'm social distancing - that the grocery store was so crowded went she went on a Saturday. I suggested that go during the week, since she was home all day. She told me she never thought of that. Situations change and people just stick to their old habits. I have no idea if she took my advice. I put it out there and it's all I can do.

Last edited:
Maybe my posts are just being ignored or something. This is the last time I'm going to say this.
That's good, because I think we all "get it"...no need to keep beating that drum.

Nothing in the world is an absolute certainty. Even the example of a person that tested positive isn't certain because the test isn't perfect. Just graduations of likelihood.

If the OP and some people that read the account choose to believe it's Covid and it was acquired at the grocery store, then that's that. Time to move on.

I'm not sure I understand. Antibody testing is one of the things most state govt's (and countries around the world) are saying is essential to determine who has already had COVID-19, and thus presumably who has the antibodies in their system to protect them (for a while, at least) against another attack. There has even been discussion of identifying people who have the antibodies so that they can return to the workforce, etc.. I'm not sure why you feel it is so important to know when the person was exposed to the virus? For example, whether it was January, or February or March of this year, does it really matter that much?

Also, if the antibody test is reliable (and they are trying hard to come up with a reliable test), why do you think it would not be able to determine if you were exposed to COVID-19? That is the whole point of the test, I believe. With regard to viral mutations, yes, they do occur, but I think most epidemiologists would say that even if the virus begins to mutate (and from what I read, it has not mutated much so far), being exposed to an earlier strain would still likely provide some protection. Nobody knows how long that protection would last, but I believe most estimates say that from 1-5 years is likely.

So basically, I don't understand why you think an antibody test would not provide much benefit. If you are correct, then all the efforts being undertaken to develop a reliable antibody test are not useful.
Regarding antibody testing, after all my complaining about how inefficient CV19 testing is and how our county is way behind on testing, I read our local newspaper this morning. This is thrilling news to me! Local antibody testing research with Mayo Clinic above all else! We have an 80% recovery rate in our community. :dance: Carle Clinic!

"Carle Foundation Hospital has begun administering an experimental treatment to very sick COVID-19 patients using the plasma of recovered patient donors.Called convalescent plasma, this treatment is being administered as part of a Mayo Clinic clinical trial, with the hope that it can boost the immunity of the ill COVID-19 patients and help them recover.
Carle is working with Community Blood Services of Illinois, which has a blood bank in Urbana and is collecting plasma from recovered COVID-19 donors in Carle’s service region.
“The immediate goal is to determine if convalescent plasma can improve the chance of recovery for people with the most severe illness,” said Dr. Mark Johnson, a Carle critical care doctor. “A second goal is to test whether convalescent plasma can help keep people who are moderately sick from becoming sicker.”
Dr. Louis Katz, an infectious disease specialist and chief medical officer with Community Blood Services, said the therapy is unproven, but there are precedents suggesting it’s modestly effective for several other infectious diseases, including influenza."

https://www.news-gazette.com/corona...cle_f9c09629-2c24-5be2-8180-743c16192bc2.html

That's good, because I think we all "get it"...no need to keep beating that drum.

Nothing in the world is an absolute certainty. Even the example of a person that tested positive isn't certain because the test isn't perfect. Just graduations of likelihood.

If the OP and some people that read the account choose to believe it's Covid and it was acquired at the grocery store, then that's that. Time to move on.

This is a tricky one. Some of us here might think, well they both got it and did fine and that's a good sign as far as community exposure.

Some of us might be really worried that it came from a one off trip to the grocery store.

Some of us might think they picked up a random cold virus at the store and it wasn't COVID.

Most of us probably change sides on our feelings at least once a day. I personally don't do well with so much uncertainty:facepalm:

I made it clear I was going to let it go. Did you read my last post? No matter. If my contributions aren't considered of much value here, I can stop posting. Sorry, but I'm feeling a bit stung right now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom