Is your drivers License Compliant TSA

About a week or 2 ago, Illinois finally announced they are now offering the compliant license. You can update you license or wait for renewal.

Thanks.... !

Of course there is no talk of people being able to exchange their new license for one that works for airplanes.

Thankfully our great Politician Jessy White says IL residents are still ALLOWED to use their passport to fly :facepalm: (It's not under his control, it's Federal)

I went through TSA Pre-check a few days ago and the agent said he was looking for the star. He said he had not yet seen a single Driver's License with it?

Guess I'll use my passport for domestic.

My bet is that full implementation will be delayed - typical for a big government bureaucracy.

Georgia has had this for at least a few years. If this TSA agent has "never seen" one, he either doesn't work very much or hasn't really been looking.

Not yet, PA is slow walking the approved licenses. Though I did get an email from DMV that all my papers are in order. When they start issuing new licenses I won't have to bring proofs.

Georgia has had this for at least a few years. If this TSA agent has "never seen" one, he either doesn't work very much or hasn't really been looking.

Well, this was Pre-check at IAD, which is almost as big as ATL (not counting all the ATL connections that don't go through security), so even if he is new he sees on the order of 1000 IDs per day.

I'm guessing they were recently directed to start looking for them and he was trying to figure it out.

Maryland, for example, issues 10-year driver's licenses so it will take a long time to convert to Real ID. So for casual travelers this transition will go on for a long time.

I've known for a few years that my state was not compliant and we have until 2020 to obtain a Real ID. I ordered official copies of my birth certificate but was having difficulty coming up the documents that have my "identification number" as I don't have a passport and long ago lost my SS card. So I planned to get a new SS card but have been procrastinating as I actually like my picture on my current driver's license. Well my state has relaxed the requirements and now allows use of W2 forms or pay stubs - I could swear that those were not allowed a couple of years ago. So I now have no excuse.

I finally got all the documents but haven’t gotten the license yet. I will use my passport in the meanwhile.
we have passports but at renewal we also opted for passport cards. other than international air travel...something we haven't done and don't expect to do...they're the same as a PP but easier to carry. we'll likely get the silly Real ID but we're in no hurry.

I've known for a few years that my state was not compliant and we have until 2020 to obtain a Real ID. I ordered official copies of my birth certificate but was having difficulty coming up the documents that have my "identification number" as I don't have a passport and long ago lost my SS card. So I planned to get a new SS card but have been procrastinating as I actually like my picture on my current driver's license. Well my state has relaxed the requirements and now allows use of W2 forms or pay stubs - I could swear that those were not allowed a couple of years ago. So I now have no excuse.

My ladyfriend, who flies often, was wondering what she should do because her regular DL doesn't expire until way after October 2020, when you are supposed to have a RealID to fly. Can she use her current New York DL after 10/2020 or should she get a new DL before then even it it doesn't expire for several years afterward?

She can get a new RealID type license whenever they become available. Just the same as if she lost her current license and had to replace it. She'll just have to pay the replacement fee.

My current, un-REAL license doesn't expire until 2023, so I might wait until then to get a REAL ID license rather than pay an additional fee. I have both a passport and a Federal employee ID, the latter of which I've used for ID at TSA screenings and they have never questioned it.

By the way, there was a lot of discussion of the need for an original SS card...I was just reviewing which documents I'd need, and my state's information said that I could use an original Social Security card, a W-2 form, or an SSA-1099 (the last two must show your full legal name and entire SSN). But maybe that's just our state.

Living in Utah, my DL supposedly is compliant with TSA. There is no gold star on my DL, but Utah is one of two states that does not have the Gold star but is still compliant. In any case , I have my passport I can use.
Edit to add: I read that Utah will send in the mail new DL with the star before the 2020 deadline . Drivers in Utah do not have to do anything extra other than to make sure their address is correct.

Last edited:
She can get a new RealID type license whenever they become available. Just the same as if she lost her current license and had to replace it. She'll just have to pay the replacement fee.

Good point! I'll mention this to her. No matter when she wants o go to the DMV to get this done, I'll be the one driving her there because she doesn't own a car any more, and very rarely drives mine or any other vehicle.

Since DH was up for renewal, we BOTH went in and got Real ID licenses. Now, ours both on the same date.

Oddly, mine almost wasn't accepted, since the utility paperwork is in DH's name and the bank statement with my name was 3 months old. Fortunately, I went outside and got the car's insurance paperwork, which had my name on and was within their time constraints.

we have passports but at renewal we also opted for passport cards. other than international air travel...something we haven't done and don't expect to do...they're the same as a PP but easier to carry. we'll likely get the silly Real ID but we're in no hurry.

That’s what I just did. My passport needed to be renewed (expires in June). Now I don’t need to worry about a Real ID drivers license for travel or entering government buildings.

I got my NC Real ID DL during a DL renewal. Made an appointment. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

It felt good to walk past the full waiting room!

Real ID has put a load on the state DOTs. NC is no exception. DW and I got ours last month without an appointment. We had to wait a bit less than an hour. We just wanted to be over with it.

Good to have this done. Looking at my 55 year old SS card was kind of fun.

Real ID has put a load on the state DOTs. NC is no exception. DW and I got ours last month without an appointment. We had to wait a bit less than an hour. We just wanted to be over with it.

Good to have this done. Looking at my 55 year old SS card was kind of fun.

I haven't seen my SS card in more than 30 years. This thread prompted me to go get a replacement yesterday, in preparation for getting a RealID license in the future.

Pretty painless. 45 minute wait. 5 minutes at the window. New card will arrive within 2 weeks.

Some of you are lucky you can walk in and walk right out with your license . In Houston they sometimes have over 900 people waiting to get processed . New license holders .

I haven't seen my SS card in more than 30 years. This thread prompted me to go get a replacement yesterday, in preparation for getting a RealID license in the future.

Pretty painless. 45 minute wait. 5 minutes at the window. New card will arrive within 2 weeks.
What was interesting was the "Monopoly-like" character on the info sheet that came with the card. Here's what mine had. All so quaint looking. I suspect 50 years from now people will be talking about the "quaint" RealID. Of course, they'll be talking telepathically through the embedded communication and ID chip buried in their brains.
BrochureUSSocialSecurity1961Pages1and4FormOAAN7006.jpg

Last edited:
Some of you are lucky you can walk in and walk right out with your license . In Houston they sometimes have over 900 people waiting to get processed . New license holders .

Where I lived in So Cal it was a joke to get a DL. Just a mess. Always long lines, painfully slow and it was frustrating. Now where I live it is so easy. Of course I live out in no mans land, and there has to be some benefits.

Since DH was up for renewal, we BOTH went in and got Real ID licenses. Now, ours both on the same date.

Oddly, mine almost wasn't accepted, since the utility paperwork is in DH's name and the bank statement with my name was 3 months old. Fortunately, I went outside and got the car's insurance paperwork, which had my name on and was within their time constraints.

This drives me nuts, I've had the same address on my DL's for over 30 years and suddenly it's not good enough.

I wonder how they're going to find enough people for federal jury duty after 2020. Nobody is required to get a REAL ID, but jurors (and witnesses, defendants, etc) will need one to enter a federal courthouse. That could create some interesting situations and cases about whether a jury pool that consists only of people who can afford to pay extra for these IDs is representative enough.

My DL expires in January 2020, and our state has until October 2020 before we need to be compliant, so I'll probably go ahead and get one. Fortunately both my passport and social security card are in my married name, and our DMV will accept printouts of utility bills and bank statements to prove residency, so it won't be too hard to collect the needed docs.

I've wondered about this myself. They'd have to only select people who have compliant IDs, in some fashion. It would be wrong to hold a potential juror in contempt for not being allowed to enter the building. :facepalm:

I may be confused about this, but our local media reported some time back that married women in my state would still have to present documents proving their marriage for a compliant ID. This doesn't make sense to me. I had to present my marriage license to get my SS card, DL, and registration put in my married name 26 years ago. Nothing's changed about that, so why have to prove it all over again?

Also, my son recently got his temporary standard DL. He got a card stating the differences between standard and compliant. For compliant, it says that you have to present additional documentation upon first issuance and upon renewal. :confused: My husband thinks I should get a compliant DL when I have to renew in 2022, even though I've never flown, don't intend to, have no need to access military bases/federal buildings. But it sounds like I'd have to bring my marriage license and additional documentation for a compliant ID every 4 years, vs. just showing my standard DL and getting a new one. Either I'm interpreting that wrong, or they've got that worded badly. It wouldn't make sense to have to re-prove myself every 4 years, when I don't now.

This drives me nuts, I've had the same address on my DL's for over 30 years and suddenly it's not good enough.

+1

I
I may be confused about this, but our local media reported some time back that married women in my state would still have to present documents proving their marriage for a compliant ID. This doesn't make sense to me. I had to present my marriage license to get my SS card, DL, and registration put in my married name 26 years ago. Nothing's changed about that, so why have to prove it all over again?+1

What's always jacked my jaws over the years, and especially 2 yrs ago when I got my compliant driver's license, is they always insist on seeing a birth certificate, a DD-214 for anything concerning military service, and a SS card.

I have a military retiree ID card. I cannot have that without all those other things. But it's never considered sufficient ID for anything except to get on a military base. Even to have my DL stamped "Veteran." Had to show a DD-214. This is the origin of Kafka's view of bureaucracy

A few years ago I renewed my driver's license, and at that time you could choose whether or not it would be a "Real ID" type of license. I think it cost $5 more for that. Since apparently there was no requirement to have a "Real ID" in order to fly at that time, I went for the regular license. I guess that in 2023, when my present license expires, I will have to get the "Real ID" type of license.

Kind of aggravating to have to come up with all that documentation in 2023 at age 75, after driving for 60 years without it. But, I suppose it's probably helpful in dealing with crime or whatever it is they deal with. Sometimes I wish I could live in "Mayberry R.F.D" in times long past, instead of in the here and now.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
I may be confused about this, but our local media reported some time back that married women in my state would still have to present documents proving their marriage for a compliant ID. This doesn't make sense to me. I had to present my marriage license to get my SS card, DL, and registration put in my married name 26 years ago. Nothing's changed about that, so why have to prove it all over again?
Well, as a person who hasn't changed his name, I had to prove myself all over again too. It is a higher standard. I had to cough up my SS ID and Passport. Birth certificate would have sufficed also.

DW has a new SS ID after changing her name. Also has a passport.

As for the address, we could use our old DL for address, along with something else. Since utilities are in my name, DW had to find that something else. Turns out her car is registered in her name which was perfect. I used my registration too.

We saw a few people who waited in line only to get turned away for not having enough ID. Our state's website is actually pretty good to show you what to bring.

I've wondered about this myself. They'd have to only select people who have compliant IDs, in some fashion. It would be wrong to hold a potential juror in contempt for not being allowed to enter the building. :facepalm:

You do not need a Real_ID to enter a courthouse, they are federal buildings, but are exempt for the very reason cited. Jurors or other persons needing access to the courts will not be denied entry.

The PA website makes this clear:
https://www.pa.gov/guides/real-id-pennsylvania/

YMMV in your state.

Back
Top Bottom