Join Early Retirement Today

New Hampshire/Vermont Mountain Biking for those who need to stick to fairly level woo
Old 02-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

New Hampshire/Vermont Mountain Biking for those who need to stick to fairly level woo

The past year has been rough physically and we donít feel up to the downhill MTB we used to do. We love to bike off road and still want to make vacations centered around biking in the woods. A bucket list item has been going to NH/VT on a summer trip- bring the bikes and ride- but my concern is the mountains there are really MOUNTAINS! Are there any options for those bikers who wish to stay on fairly level ground? We definitely want to see the scenery and experience the forest. Anyone here been there done that?

michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...rail-trail-nh/

rails to trails

RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The areas around lake Champlain are much flatter (but not completely flat) and have some great biking. I spend the summer on one of the islands there and a fantastic ride on old railroad causeway between Burlington and the southern most island.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely check out rails to trails. Railroads are generally at a slight grade. And check out trails along lakes and rivers. Slight slope there too. Or maybe research a state that is flatter.

I cant handle biking mountains anymore either. Now the flatter the better. I bike a trail in Illinois along the river that has 34í of elevation gain in 22 miles.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many of the roads are in valleys... especially north-south roads... for example, Rte 5 runs north-south along the Connecticut River on the eastern edge of Vermont and is pretty flat and not very busy. There are also a number of rail trails, but unfortunately at this time they are a pretty short... however, the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail will be 93 miles from end-to-end when fully built out.... but now it is only a 15 mile section from St. Johnsbury to Danville and a 17 mile section from Morristown to Cambridge.

Route 2 from Barre to Burlington parallels the Winooski river and is relatively flat.

Also, the western edge of the state along Lake Champlain is pretty flat... as is Grand isle county which include the big islands in Lake Champlain. There is a nice rail trail along the eastern shore of Lake Champlain in Chittenden County that is pretty flat.

https://vtsports.com/rail-trail-revival/
https://www.vermontvacation.com/~/me...016.ashx?la=en

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote