Reviewing travel stuff

Keep small bills and coins around. In many countries you cannot add a tip on the credit card slip. The coins? MANY countries have pay toilets in big cities. I'm glad to have them since most large US cities don't have that option but it's no fun fishing around for change when you gotta go. The machines don't give change and neither did one human working at a public restroom in Dubrovnik. (I could have asked but I figured she was standing out in the hot sun dealing with "needy" tourists all day and considered it a tip.)

I was in E. Europe (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania) last month and many places don't take credit cards. Our guide confirmed my guess that it was partly avoiding the fees, partly still getting used to capitalism, partly tax evasion. Do not assume that a restaurant takes them- we made that mistake in Albania and ended up frantically searching for enough cash when the check came.

Phones- I have an iPhone 8 which takes SIM cards. I ended up spending about $50 on SIM cards. Most of it was spent on one I bought in London on my way there ($37) which they assured me would work in the other countries. Nope. Maybe if I understood the texts I got in each country. Example: "Surfaj povolnoje- aktivaz opciju internet M slanjem INTERNET M na 13636 s kojom dobivas 300 MB.."

So.. as I entered each country I bought a different SIM card. I really like data access- I look up things I see in museums, I use Google Translate in the grocery stores, I even used Find my Suitcase (which contained an Apple AirTag) to get back to my hotel. It was worth what I paid.

Phones- I have an iPhone 8 which takes SIM cards. I ended up spending about $50 on SIM cards. Most of it was spent on one I bought in London on my way there ($37) which they assured me would work in the other countries. Nope. Maybe if I understood the texts I got in each country. Example: "Surfaj povolnoje- aktivaz opciju internet M slanjem INTERNET M na 13636 s kojom dobivas 300 MB.."

So.. as I entered each country I bought a different SIM card. I really like data access- I look up things I see in museums, I use Google Translate in the grocery stores, I even used Find my Suitcase (which contained an Apple AirTag) to get back to my hotel. It was worth what I paid.
I've downloaded a few languages in Google Translate, that's always a good option, they don't seem to take up as much space as I would have thought. I tried translating the non-English part of your post in Google Lens, but for some reason I had to highlight it and tap "Open in Translate" to get this. But I just haven't used Google Lens that much, and I think it might have been confused by my screenshot of your post, which had both Croatian and English in it.

Attachments

• 2022-09-14 13.41.03.jpg
    2022-09-14 13.41.03.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 30
I've downloaded a few languages in Google Translate, that's always a good option, they don't seem to take up as much space as I would have thought. I tried translating the non-English part of your post in Google Lens, but for some reason I had to highlight it and tap "Open in Translate" to get this. But I just haven't used Google Lens that much, and I think it might have been confused by my screenshot of your post, which had both Croatian and English in it.

Thanks- I should play with this before my next trip although that will be S. America where I can better understand the language. My favorite use of Google Translate was in the grocery store in Zagreb when I wanted to get some of the spicy paprika we'd use din a cheese-making class. The one differing word on the two varieties translated as "lazy" on one, and "angry" on the other. I chose the "angry" variety. My guide told me I was correct. :D

With the phone instructions, I figured even if I got to the right web site an English version might not be available.

With the phone instructions, I figured even if I got to the right web site an English version might not be available.

Tip: It's surprising how often I can get the English version of a foreign website by just adding "/en" to the URL.

... We have had our bank cards refused at one bank and accepted at another next door. ...
We have not had that problem lately, but maybe 10 years ago we did. Now, for us at least, even 3rd world countries like Ethiopia, Myanmar, and Vietnam have ATMs that are problem free.

For that reason, though DW and I each carry a debit card issued by a different bank and we each carry a credit card from a different issuer. We did have a problem two or three trips ago where Visa blocked my card by mistake and it took a day or two to fix. No big deal because we had the other cards.

The only time we have had a credit card denied was when we were traveling.

And....it was always an on line airline purchase. Air Asia or Jetstar. No idea why. Not large amounts either. Most often the Amex card.

The card subsequently worked with other vendors-on line and in person. When we came home I called the card. Each time they claimed that they had no record of the card being presented or any refused transactions.

It is why we travel with MC, Visa, and Amex cards. If we are out for 9 weeks we cannot afford to have only one card if for some reason it breaks, etc.

In out travels we met a British couple who were stuck on Kho Lipe, Thailand for a few days. The island ATM swallowed their only card. The banks ATM service rep only visited the island twice a week.

Last edited:
In out travels we met a British couple who were stuck on Kho Lipe, Thailand for a few days. The island ATM swallowed their only card. The banks ATM service rep only visited the island twice a week.

Similar thing. I once had an ATM card swallowed by the machine at a bank in Newfoundland. Talked to a teller who told me they never had any contact with the guy who serviced the machine and had no idea when he would next show up. Fortunately, I was able to go to a different bank and use a different card to get some cash, but it certainly got my attention.

I always travel with at least three different credit cards and two debit cards.

My two cents on credit cards, figure out your pin before you leave home. We don't use the pin here, so don't usually know it. But it might have one. And at a train ticket machine, that's going to be required. Your card still might not work, but at least you had a shot at it. You can go to the window and attempt to talk to someone, and the card will work there without a pin.

The other pennies are to download offline maps. In Google maps, you select a region, name it, and then have the details without having to pay for data. Same with Google translate... just download the languages before you leave home.

I have a Charles Schwab ATM card. Mr. Schwab pays all the ATM fees when you use his card, including those overseas fees. Of course, make sure you have sufficient funds in your Schwab checking account to cover the withdrawals.

BofA has partner banks in other countries that won't charge the fees. But, finding a well located branch is sometimes a problem. Schwab's card is better.

Not that we are planning any travel out of the country or even on airplanes but the Schwab ATM card is good to know.
What I have done in the past is to use a separate account at my credit union and get a debit card for use only on that account for ATMs when we traveled. I then put in a specific amount to only cover that trip. If for some reason the wallet is lost or lifted (it happened once) they won't be able to access the larger amounts of money we have in our regular accounts.

Cheers!

... The other pennies are to download offline maps. In Google maps, you select a region, name it, and then have the details without having to pay for data. ...
IMO a better workaround for Google's behavior is to simply carry all the maps for the travel area on the phone or tablet.

We use https://copilotgps.com/en-gb/ and simply download fresh maps before we leave home. No worries about not having the right Google map, no worries about navigating without cell coverage, no money spent for navigator cell data when on the road. The downloads do take some time and storage space but we have not found that to be a problem.

IMO a better workaround for Google's behavior is to simply carry all the maps for the travel area on the phone or tablet.

We use https://copilotgps.com/en-gb/ and simply download fresh maps before we leave home. No worries about not having the right Google map, no worries about navigating without cell coverage, no money spent for navigator cell data when on the road. The downloads do take some time and storage space but we have not found that to be a problem.
There is no worrying about "having the right Google map", all you do is zoom to the area you want to download, and tell it to download that data, and you don't have to worry about connectivity after that, and there's no storage to manage, the app does it for you. But as an alternative, how is the navigation for Copilot? I prefer Google Maps because I've found the ETA to be the most accurate, and the navigation and directions to be the least ambiguous.

There is no worrying about "having the right Google map", all you do is zoom to the area you want to download, and tell it to download that data, and you don't have to worry about connectivity after that, and there's no storage to manage, the app does it for you. But as an alternative, how is the navigation for Copilot? I prefer Google Maps because I've found the ETA to be the most accurate, and the navigation and directions to be the least ambiguous.
Well, with Copilot I download whole countries or whole continents. No need to predict and individually download areas. But whatever floats your boat.

Functionally, I use both and see very little difference between them. I really don't pay attention to ETAs, though, but where cell data is available Google may be able to do a better job just due to network effect of many cars using it.

Some places will have surcharges on credit cards.

Some lodgings ask for cash.

Some places you can't book except by email and I've had to wire money to a bank account to reserve the place.

Schwab Investor Checking will refund all ATM charges everywhere.

I used to try to learn a few phrases in the local language but everyone in tourism or even retail speak a little English now.

My two cents on credit cards, figure out your pin before you leave home. We don't use the pin here, so don't usually know it. But it might have one. And at a train ticket machine, that's going to be required. Your card still might not work, but at least you had a shot at it. You can go to the window and attempt to talk to someone, and the card will work there without a pin.

The other pennies are to download offline maps. In Google maps, you select a region, name it, and then have the details without having to pay for data. Same with Google translate... just download the languages before you leave home.

You have to get a chip and PIN card. Most of the cards issued in the US are chip and signature card, meaning the receipt will prompt the merchant to get the signature of the card holder.

For kiosks, you need chip and PIN or you will be out of luck. I've used a card from First Tech Credit Union for train ticket kiosks in Amsterdam and Belgium.

I've also used it at gas stations which are often unattended and you have to use the kiosk. These are old so few of them have contactless, even though contactless cards are very common in Europe.

So if you insert the card, it will prompt for PIN. The last time I tried it, my First Tech Credit Union card pin no longer works.

So you either have to find a mini mart type of place to fill your gas or for train tickets hope they have contactless.

Lot's of great advice here. I'd add one thing: make sure that you are using your ATM card at a "real" bank, not an exchange agent or a private party. Those fees can be very high. I look for an ATM from BNP, Crédit Agricole, Sociéte Générale or HSBC (and I am sure there are others). Sometimes, a legit bank is hard to find at the airport so I try to leave with enough Euros to get me to my lodging.
BR

You have to get a chip and PIN card. Most of the cards issued in the US are chip and signature card, meaning the receipt will prompt the merchant to get the signature of the card holder.

For kiosks, you need chip and PIN or you will be out of luck. I've used a card from First Tech Credit Union for train ticket kiosks in Amsterdam and Belgium.

I've also used it at gas stations which are often unattended and you have to use the kiosk. These are old so few of them have contactless, even though contactless cards are very common in Europe.

So if you insert the card, it will prompt for PIN. The last time I tried it, my First Tech Credit Union card pin no longer works.

So you either have to find a mini mart type of place to fill your gas or for train tickets hope they have contactless.

That used to be the case, but most machines are "tap and pay" now, so as long as you have that symbol on your card you have a good chance of it being accepted.

Attachments

• tap pay.jpeg
    tap pay.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 75
Well I just returned from Italy and I can tell you I didn't see too many kiosks with contactless sensors.

All the autostrada toll booths required that I insert my card in and I saw one gas station with a kiosk with contactless and there were attendants there telling me not to use them because they didn't work.

Usually there are gas stations like mini marts where you fill up first and then go in and pay and they will have a contactless terminal there to pay.

Thanks, good to know. I've never been to Italy.

These are mostly older gas stations.

Many of them are away from town centers and they run unattended a large portion of the time so they have these old kiosks.

They haven't bothered to update the kiosks to contactless yet.

They're also common in France and I would think other EU countries.

France autoroutes do have toll booth kiosks with contactless though, worked great to use my Apple Watch, easier to do than reaching out from the car and inserting the credit card.

I obviously spoke too soon. Nearly all my travel is in the northern half of Europe, where contactless is extremely common and Apple Pay is very widely accepted. Thanks for the information.

Yeah in restaurants, shops, hotels, they all have these little wireless terminals which can take both chip cards or you can tap.

(which makes me wonder why US businesses and banks don't have the same things).

But it's the kiosks out somewhere else that is probably the last to get upgraded.

One of the times I visited Amsterdam, I remember I couldn't use my US credit cards at the kiosks at the airport for the train tickets.

But I did buy a tram pass once I reached Central Station from another kiosk with the same credit cards which didn't work at AMS.

There the issue wasn't contactless (it was before contactless) but whether certain kiosks would take credit cards issued outside of The Netherlands or EU.

Supposedly a problem with websites for mobile carriers in the EU, they won't take even out of country credit cards for online top ups.

For international travel we use a credit card that does not charge foreign exchange fees. When using it we always ask for the charge in the local currency, not U.S. dollars. You get a much better exchange rate for charges that way.

One of the times I visited Amsterdam, I remember I couldn't use my US credit cards at the kiosks at the airport for the train tickets.

But I did buy a tram pass once I reached Central Station from another kiosk with the same credit cards which didn't work at AMS.

There the issue wasn't contactless (it was before contactless) but whether certain kiosks would take credit cards issued outside of The Netherlands or EU.

Yes, I ran into that a few times. Non-EU issued cards were worthless at kiosks in Belgium as well. Not all of them, but a great many.

I use an old fashioned Garmin gps. I check for new map updates a week before I go and I’m off to the races.

Back
Top Bottom