Safest way to carry cash...

Greathusky74

Dryer sheet aficionado
we are going to Greece in September. I am bring more euros than customary due to my fears concerning getting cash when needed. Does anyone have any recommendations for wallet bands around the waist or neck to carry cash in? Or any other tried and true way?

I bought a pair of pants from clothingarts.com. They advertise as being pickpocket proof. I'm sure there is at least one person for which this hasn't been the case. However, they fit well; were comfortable in Bangkok's heat and humidity; and had pockets with zippers and button flaps. The pockets are hard enough to get into that you have to wear them a couple of days to get used to it yourself. I felt pretty comfortable with my money in situations where pickpockets were a good possibility like crowded tourist destinations and mass transit.

In your case, I wouldn't put your whole stash in the pockets but they could serve as part of the solution.

There is also a line of travel products called Pacsafe you might want to look at. I have one of their mesh bags I used to store my computer in hotel rooms that don't have a closet safe. I think they have products to help protect cash as well.

If you wear long pants and not shorts try an ankle wallet, very secure and comfortable to wear, my DH swears by them, his brand is a bagmaster.

I'm sure Greece is hot & dry while Bangkok was hot & humid but I found that I was just as comfortable in long pants as I was wearing shorts as long as you avoid heavy fabrics like blue jeans.

If you were going to Texas, I'd say just consider getting a CHL, and carry. :)

In Greece I don't know the laws but I sure would be concerned with carrying a lot of cash, particularly these days. Regardless, if I were going to carry a lot of cash I think I'd split up my money. (Wallet, front pocket, money belt, socks, sew a pocket inside my pants, hide some in a walking cane (might make a good defensive club too), etc. I'd keep a good chuck of cash in my wallet so if I was robbed that may satisfy the robber that's my only cash. Then again, they may want everything I have on and/or carrying.

Last edited:
When I travel, I carry my money in two places.

I keep my passport, ATM and one credit card and most of my cash in a money belt. I keep enough money for one day and 1 credit card in a little travel wallet zipped in my pants pocket. If I need more money in my wallet, I can get into my money belt while in the toilet stall, so out of sight. The only thing other people see is my daily wallet, and if someone grabbed it I would only lose part of my money and cards.

I think whatever would feel more comfortable for you is what you should carry. As a woman, the neck vault is less comfortable for me than the waist money belt. The ankle wallet sounds interesting, assuming it wouldn't slip down.

I would pay close attention to the news between now and then. Judging by the sound of it, you will be able to access cash and use credit cards in Greece pretty easily. That said, do you really want to go there right now?

I just want to echo the others who said split it up. At the very least have a money belt with the majority of your stash then have the rest in your wallet in your front pocket-never your back pocket. Preferably, have a second or even third stash. They make pouches that go around your neck(under your shirt), as well as around your ankle or thigh.

If you put it in a hotel safe, make sure that the default combination has been changed.

I agree with keeping money in a couple places and using money belts. We have some that are waterproof so you can swim with them too... or if you get caught in the rain. We usually ware them so the upper part is belt level and is under the shorts/trousers.... thus somewhat protected or inconvenient for a pick pocket.

The waterproof ones are more time consuming to get into (not just 1 zipper to open/close).

good luck

Like others, I split mine up, especially between traveling companions. It is funny to me that women are usually not thought to be carrying money if they are with a guy. That saved some folks we met in Jamaica when only the guy got robbed.
We use a regular money belt for DH to carry emergency cash, one of the under your clothes type for me to carry passports and most credit cards, and my favorite, a travel vest with a million inside pockets for most of our traveling money. Yes, the best is a little dorky, but so nice to travel without a handbag to keep up with! Get a size bigger if you want one, they need to be able to fit over your clothes when loaded down.

Reactions: W2R
I love the hotel safes. Especially the ones that hold my laptop computer. While in Bangkok my friend who has visited there many times and now lives there, recommended that I leave my passport in the safe and carry a photocopy of my passport with me which I did. Not sure if that was the right thing to do but it did relieve me of the anxiety of losing my passport.

Like others, I split mine up, especially between traveling companions. It is funny to me that women are usually not thought to be carrying money if they are with a guy. That saved some folks we met in Jamaica when only the guy got robbed.
We use a regular money belt for DH to carry emergency cash, one of the under your clothes type for me to carry passports and most credit cards, and my favorite, a travel vest with a million inside pockets for most of our traveling money. Yes, the best is a little dorky, but so nice to travel without a handbag to keep up with! Get a size bigger if you want one, they need to be able to fit over your clothes when loaded down.

DW loves her vest too. She can easily carry more than me.

I used a pouch under my shirt when we visited Greece and elsewhere in May. I think it was totally obvious under my usual light dress shirt, kind of sweaty, and awkward to access if I didn't slip into a restroom. The ankle wallet sounds good to me. I'll have to look at them. On the other hand, I didn't lose anything, so it worked.

I use a neck wallet for $ and cards. I also use a front pocket "daily" wallet with a large rubber band around it. More to let me know if i am being fondled. Stay aware of diversions from children or unusual friendliness. Had no problems in athens or istanbul last summer.

How about American Express Traveler Cheques? You can get them in euros and they are safe and "may be refunded if lost or stolen". You can keep some on your person and some in your hotel safe or hotel room.

I assume that any bank and many merchants would honor them or most hotels will cash them for guests. I admit, I haven't used them for decades, but Greece may be a special situation where they are worth the cost.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/prepaid/travelers-cheques.html

Oops! I left out my deep cover money belt from moonshineleather.com. I use that for traveling between hotels and safes. Good company, bit pricey but solid quality. I use my other mentioned item when out on the town. Hope this helps.

I highly recommend sewing in a hidden pocket into your pants or shorts. The pockets are more comfortable than wearing something around your waist or your neck. Just do a google search for "Amazon hidden pockets".

I have a silk under the pants one - very comfy, but I forget who makes it.

I highly recommend sewing in a hidden pocket into your pants or shorts. The pockets are more comfortable than wearing something around your waist or your neck. Just do a google search for "Amazon hidden pockets".
I did this on two pairs of pants/shorts for our current vacation. Sewed hidden pockets to the inside of the waistband. I had balances due at vacation rentals that were larger than I felt comfortable having in my wallet. One, especially, involved carrying more than 1K Euros for more than a week because we had a week in between that was outside the Euro zone (went to London the week before our week in Paris.)

On the whole I haven't had any issues with security. We saw some potential pick pockets on the Paris metro but we were very cautious with how we wore our backpacks and did not allow opportunities.

We are leaving for Greece later this month and will be take a lot of euros.

What I have done in the past for travelling in Asia, Africa, etc is use a neck pounch. Hangs around my neck, enough room for money, credit cards, even a passport. Then I keep a little walking around money in my pocket
I much prefer this to a money belt...but everyone has their preferences.

How about American Express Traveler Cheques? You can get them in euros and they are safe and "may be refunded if lost or stolen". You can keep some on your person and some in your hotel safe or hotel room.

I assume that any bank and many merchants would honor them or most hotels will cash them for guests. I admit, I haven't used them for decades, but Greece may be a special situation where they are worth the cost.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/prepaid/travelers-cheques.html

+1 This was my first thought too. I used to be able to get them from AAA for free here in the past.

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom