Stupefyingly boring travel slideshow(s) Part III

Very nice! I like that thin building #59. I wonder what that building is used for. Looks too thin to be used as residences.

Thanks for posting.

I enjoy looking at your pictures. Thank you for posting. So many places, so little time.

Very nice! I like that thin building #59. I wonder what that building is used for. Looks too thin to be used as residences.

We wondered about that too...perhaps the residents sleep/work out of hammocks, or standing upright.:)

Great! Thanks!

Looks like you had cool, but at least clear weather

Looks like you had cool, but at least clear weather

Weather was close to perfect........some days, because we walked for 25 minutes to the bus/train stations in the dark at around 04:00 a.m., it was initially cool but generally warmed up later.

We went Ft Lauderdale to Rome/Civitavecchia in April. The repositioning cruises are simply the bargain of all bargains. Our cruise cost is $80 per day for two people.

Retired folks have the time to take such trips.

None from the TA ?
Valencia, Lisbon, Ponta Delgada....and the last pic are all from the TA.

Oh..here's our cabin:
2i087pc.jpg

Any of San Juan ?
Straight from the ship to the airport.......saw a couple non-functioning traffic lights and a small plane with the nose broken off, (and DW says she saw a couple damaged boats).....I was anticipating far worse.

San Juan airport was busy but functioning.

Last edited:
Our cruise cost is $80 per day for two people.

Is that calculated on base price, or including taxes & mandatory gratuities?

I always like to see travel photos, particularly if they come with some commentaries.

Maybe this should get me starting to think about where to go for our next trip. Been too engrossed in a home project.

Your slideshow is wonderful. DH and I would love to do something like this.

Is there a Transatlantic Cruise 101 blog on the Internet--for first timers?

I booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise just this morning for DH and me (Jan 2019). We love cruising; I just don't feel brave enough to book a TA, with flight back home, although I have certainly nosed around on the Internet many times.

It would be easy for me to book a cruise from, say, from Tampa to Barcelona, I but have no idea what to do in Barcelona before the cruise and the smartest way to book a flight back to the USA. I am serious about this.

If any of you have time to advise, I certainly have time to listen....and would be most grateful.

TIA.

Your slideshow is wonderful. DH and I would love to do something like this.

Is there a Transatlantic Cruise 101 blog on the Internet--for first timers?

I booked an Eastern Caribbean cruise just this morning for DH and me (Jan 2019). We love cruising; I just don't feel brave enough to book a TA, with flight back home, although I have certainly nosed around on the Internet many times.

It would be easy for me to book a cruise from, say, from Tampa to Barcelona, I but have no idea what to do in Barcelona before the cruise and the smartest way to book a flight back to the USA. I am serious about this.

If any of you have time to advise, I certainly have time to listen....and would be most grateful.

TIA.

Here's a (very) basic starter's kit:

We use Vacations To Go, http://repositioningcruise.com/index.cfm
(you'll need to provide an e-mail addy for access), to see all the offerings they have listed....(there are others around, but this is just an intro)......scroll down until you see a price you like, for a ship going from a port you'd like to see and arriving, (generally, but not always, in Florida), somewhere convenient.

Once you've selected a trip that might be interesting, click on the underlined number on the far left column....this will show you price/itinerary, and above the cabin price menu you'll see the ship's name....click on it for pics and info about the ship.

What to do in a (any) port before the cruise? First, find somewhere to stay for the duration....we generally use airbnb or perhaps House Trip (there are others...and always read the reviews). Then perhaps Google the city's Tourist Board for things they suggest you might like to see; that, and maybe somewhere like Trip Advisor for suggestions.........or, as we often do...wander around aimlessly....serendipity is your friend.

Flights? Check out a bunch of Search Engines, plug in your date(s) and see what they come up with......don't be afraid of trying airlines unfamiliar to you.....we've used Turkish, Polish, Norwegian, Russian, Indian, etc, etc, airlines with no problem.

Rocket Surgery it's not.....get going!

Last edited:
Thank you for this. You make it sound like something DH and I can do. I am going to get serious about searching airfares so I will know a good price and be ready to start this ball rolling.
Appreciate your advice!

Here's a (very) basic starter's kit:

We use Vacations To Go, Repositioning Cruises, Repositioning Cruise, Cruise Repositioning, Repositioning Cruise Line, Repositioning Cruise Lines
(you'll need to provide an e-mail addy for access), to see all the offerings they have listed....(there are others around, but this is just an intro)......scroll down until you see a price you like, for a ship going from a port you'd like to see and arriving, (generally, but not always, in Florida), somewhere convenient.

Once you've selected a trip that might be interesting, click on the underlined number on the far left column....this will show you price/itinerary, and above the cabin price menu you'll see the ship's name....click on it for pics and info about the ship.

What to do in a (any) port before the cruise? First, find somewhere to stay for the duration....we generally use airbnb or perhaps House Trip (there are others...and always read the reviews). Then perhaps Google the city's Tourist Board for things they suggest you might like to see; that, and maybe somewhere like Trip Advisor for suggestions.........or, as we often do...wander around aimlessly....serendipity is your friend.

Flights? Check out a bunch of Search Engines, plug in your date(s) and see what they come up with......don't be afraid of trying airlines unfamiliar to you.....we've used Turkish, Polish, Norwegian, Russian, Indian, etc, etc, airlines with no problem.

Rocket Surgery it's not.....get going!

looks like a great time...2 years and i'll be in your shoes ;-))

We just did QM2 from NY to Southhampton for those wondering about TA. I was bored (but chilling) after ~4 days into a fri to fri sailing, DW was not. would certainly recommend, brooklynn was great stayed two days prior to sailing... went with people who have been on her 5 times, checked off my bucket list. I did first Med cruise on CVN 69 in 1977 i know all about Ocean crossings....

Thank you for this. You make it sound like something DH and I can do. I am going to get serious about searching airfares so I will know a good price and be ready to start this ball rolling.
Appreciate your advice!

For one way fares for a transatlantic we used the ship lines airfare and got a great price.Cruise critic can offer you tons of advise about the ports .Also if you decide on a trip join cruise critic message board for your trip . People organize private group tours that are very inexpensive .

For one way fares for a transatlantic we used the ship lines airfare and got a great price.Cruise critic can offer you tons of advise about the ports .Also if you decide on a trip join cruise critic message board for your trip . People organize private group tours that are very inexpensive .

Thank you for the testimonial about the ship line airfare. Using that that feature would take a lot of the scariness out of it. Appreciate your input very much.

Thank you for the testimonial about the ship line airfare. Using that that feature would take a lot of the scariness out of it. Appreciate your input very much.

We've never used it, and have heard conflicting reports:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=60

In Norwegian Cruise Line's Air/Sea program, Norwegian also "reserves the right to choose the air carrier, routing and city airport from each gateway city and reserves the right to substitute commuter service and/or charter air service for scheduled air carriers without prior notice."

And, while cruise lines keep touting low fares, expert cruise travel agents say travelers almost always can find better deals booking their own airfare.

Generally, the only time you're going to find a better fare with the cruise air option is on long-haul or open-jaw flights, says Allen of Cruises by Linda. "Otherwise, fares will be published prices" -- meaning the cruise line's rates will be the same as you can find online through the airline or other booking engines.

Allen says she tells her customers to open two computer screens at the same time when making an online airfare reservation through a cruise line program -- one with the air/sea booking page and one with the airline's website. Once you get your reservation confirmed on a flight, make sure you go in immediately to the airline's website and get a seat assignment, too, she says. If you don't, the cruise line might not assign you a seat until much later...........//........"It is a common belief that when you book your air with the cruise line, getting you to the ship becomes their problem, not yours. But that is not always the case," Westwood says. "How much the cruise line will do to assist you, and what they will pay for, varies greatly."

Back
Top Bottom