Stupefyingly boring travel slideshow(s) Part IV

Looks like a great trip, Nemo. Love the old trains. Have you ever been on the circumnavea in Sicily - goes 3/4's of the way around Mt. Etna from Catania - around the backside - to Giarre. Same era as the trains you showed - slow... but beautiful scenery.

Love the old trains. Have you ever been on the circumnavea in Sicily - goes 3/4's of the way around Mt. Etna from Catania - around the backside - to Giarre. Same era as the trains you showed - slow... but beautiful scenery.
We love them too...haven't done the Sicily train trip but it sounds great......the next two trips are 'accounted for' but doing northern Romania, (primarily by train), is now on the bucket list.

Looks lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Any particular reason you chose to visit those towns & places?

omni

Looks lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Any particular reason you chose to visit those towns & places?

omni

We had a little input, did a little research, wanted to do a loop, (starting and ending in Bucharest), but didn't get to all the places we wanted to visit......next trip there, (and hopefully there will be a next trip), we'd like to focus on the north of Romania.

Where are all the people? A lot of the towns look quite deserted.

I enjoyed the slideshow, as always. Thanks for sharing.

Many of European towns are like that, if you venture outside of large cities.

We're early risers and try and beat (most of) the crowds.......also, as an aside, there were very few English-as-a-first-language speakers among the tourists; of the tourists that there were, Germans & perhaps French predominated.

Great slides as always. Giving your support stick a workout.

Not stupefying at all. :)

j/k. Very nice, and thanks for sharing. Slide 57 of the door reminds me of the Doors of Durin.

From an ex-local

We love them too...haven't done the Sicily train trip but it sounds great......the next two trips are 'accounted for' but doing northern Romania, (primarily by train), is now on the bucket list.

Very glad you enjoyed your trip thru Romania.
Brasov/Sighisoara/Sibiu are very unique, full of history and set in beautiful mountainous areas.

Northern part is also gorgeous, I'm more familiar with "Nordul Moldovei" than Maramures - in the sense that I've spent time in Suceava / Vatra Dornei / Monasteries in Nordul Moldovei but not in Maramures. (check "cimitirul vesel Sapanta")

Hope to be able to head that way myself this fall - lots of special places and special frieds for me to reconect with.

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like you had optimal weather. Or only broke out the camera on sunny days. The forecast for the end of July looks like afternoon showers, mostly. I leave in 45 days.

Looks like you had optimal weather. Or only broke out the camera on sunny days. The forecast for the end of July looks like afternoon showers, mostly. I leave in 45 days.

Weather was great. (Perhaps well deserved payback for being on tenterhooks, wondering whether our flight to Santo Domingo to catch the ship to Lisbon was, (as many were), going to be cancelled due to a Toronto ice storm.

45 days...our next jaunt is 115 days away.

A couple more people in this one (Brasov), but it's still (relatively) early:

2a62luq.jpg

We're early risers and try and beat (most of) the crowds.......also, as an aside, there were very few English-as-a-first-language speakers among the tourists; of the tourists that there were, Germans & perhaps French predominated.

hehe...3:00 am train!

Thanks for the show. I enjoyed it

Last edited:
hehe...3:00 am train!

In order to catch it we got up before we went to bed. :LOL:

Walked to the station...got there early, just us and a young girl.....7 hour trip...time we reached Timișoara, about 10:00 a.m., the train was pretty full.

That 3 am train struck me too. !! Seems like your travel agent was drinking too much... :eek:

What are these "Travel agents" of which you speak? :LOL:

That is just too brutal for me, I'd rather go at 9 am and stay an extra night at the destination.

If the options include middle of the night or early morning we grab 'em (it's not like we're old people or sumptin ;) )........we've gone to numerous places on our jaunts.....arrived early, seen what we wanted to see*, and are in the process of leaving when the mobs arrive...........plus, we get to sleep on the trains en route.

(*You don't do African game drives at noon...you're underway before the dawn. :LOL: )

Thanks Nemo. I enjoyed the vicarious trip. The notes on each picture help immensely.

Yeah, the commentary was cool and made all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom