Teardrop trailers

Teardrop

We tent camped for years, got older and queensized bed and bathroom became requirements. As well as 6'+ headroom. We got a T@B400 by NUCAMPRV and love it. Probably won't fit in garage but they have smaller sizes.

Full disclosure, we "camp" 4-5 times a year and "hotel" travel our other trips. Totally different experiences. Also, we rented a teardrop to try before we bought one (VRBO), when we camp we camp, don't require a lot of inside room.

Good luck, enjoy the journey.

I see the comparison between hotels and RV often but to my mind it misses some facts. When you travel by RV you can have your bathroom, kitchen and bed with you at all times. Then there’s the amount of gear you can carry in an RV. Packing, unpacking and repacking a car is a pain, not to mention the load in/ load out from a hotel. In addition the RV increases the options of where to stay, sometimes it’s easier to stay in the RV sometimes the hotel. You get to choose.

A SMALL teardrop trailer would be fun, kind of like a hard shell tent. But I just can't justify the cost. Even a used teardrop runs about $8000 around here. I would have to spend 40 nights in a hotel or AirBnB at $200 a night to break even. Then I would have to store it, clean it, license it, and maintain it. No thanks.

I much prefer finding unique AirBnb rentals or the occasional hotel. Each stay is a unique experience, we don't have to clean or maintain anything, and we don't need to take so much stuff with us. A couple of carry-on bags or a single large suitcase is all we need for 80-90% of our trips.

When my wife worries about forgetting to pack something, I remind her that we're not leaving the planet. We can always find what we need when we get there. We've never done it, but I've always had this idea of heading out on vacation with NOTHING except a tank of gas. Pick a direction, and buy whatever we need (food, clothing, etc.) when we decide to stop.

We do have a tent and camping supplies but probably only go camping once every 2-3 years. Sometimes it allows us to stay in areas we otherwise couldn't, but most of the time camping is more work than it's worth. We have a firepit here at home and enjoy much of the camping experience without the hassles. I still have a warm shower and a soft bed when we're done. :)

Back
Top Bottom