Travel clothing

We're another family that likes to travel light but doesn't like to go to laundromats. We've had great success using AirBnB (there's a filter you can set when searching that will only list places with washers and driers). I use lightweight travel underwear (really like these from Rohan https://www.rohandesigns.com/mens-t...r-clothing-Cool-Silver-Trunks-?ocode=03902J91 - pricey, but have held up well and dry very fast when forced to use the hotel sink method). I also like REI tech T shirts https://www.rei.com/product/119100/rei-co-op-sahara-heathered-t-shirt-mens. Not very dressy, but super comfy, lightweight and very packable as well as fast drying.

I bought some Ex Officio underwear that's specifically made for travel. Very silk-like and dries very quickly. In fact, I switched to that for everyday.

Yeah I use them too only really need 2 or three pairs for travel as they wash out in sink and hang dry over night. I also use rei brand synthetic mosisture wicking type hiking shirts usually long sleeve For the same reason.

I am not a big fan of some of the quick dry clothing because it is not very absorbent.
Yet, I do bring some because at times one has to wash tonight and wear in the morning. But, I also bring some thinner natural fibers like cotton and even fine wool.

The problem with Costco is that they stock those pants for the obese. 35" to 39" waist? Come on! Is that normal now? It makes no sense. Why would someone with a 35-39" waist buy hiking pants? The only hike for someone like that would be to the fridge, microwave, and back in front of the TV.
Another Dale Carnegie dropout... :LOL:

The problem with Costco is that they stock those pants for the obese. 35" to 39" waist? Come on! Is that normal now? It makes no sense. Why would someone with a 35-39" waist buy hiking pants? The only hike for someone like that would be to the fridge, microwave, and back in front of the TV.

I didn't get mine from Costco, that was merely a link to highlight the brand....and I don't have a 35-39" waist.....so they have to be out there somewhere.

I didn't get mine from Costco, that was merely a link to highlight the brand....and I don't have a 35-39" waist.....so they have to be out there somewhere.

I clicked your link and the pants look good with the slim model. But when I clicked on the size and looked at the chart below, I thought OMG. 39" waist with a 30" inseam. Even Danny Devito couldn't fit into those.

You are not attending a royal wedding

because at times one has to wash tonight and wear in the morning.
I have found that I can wear wet (from the washing machine) golf shirts and wet cargo shorts and that my body heat will dry them fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I've found laundromats in different countries fun. My favorite was in the Lauterbrunnen Valley, Switzerland. It was a laundromat with coin computers for internet. Wash your clothes and surf the net :)

Had two laundromat visits in Spain. 10 to 20 min walk. Soap auto dispensed in the machine. Small machines still big enough to take whole load. Washer took 30 mins. Dryer took 30 mins. We’re out of there. Minimal time lost and what a joy to have a suitcase full of clean clothes!

Finding them on the web was easy, and I usually found sites that had reviews, so it helped confidence before going.

We found a laundrymat in Barcelona, but it was after we had already washed our clothes in the shower which had a small 4 inch lip which made washing the clothes easy.

Which was probably good, as I can't read Spanish, so didn't know how to use the machines. And nobody was there.

Add me to the group that prefers to rent apartments with washing machines at least every other stop. Traveling with a family - it's almost required.

That said - the dry fit or athletic synthetic shirts are awesome... light, breathable, dry really quick.

DH swears by ex-officio undies. I learned about them from Sarah in SC here on ER.org. Since she and her DH did a lot of adventure travel in their short bus - her opinion carried some cred. DH now wears them as his daily undies... Fortunately Costco had them for a brief window so I was able to pick them up for less $$.

For me the key is to avoid bulky/heavy stuff. At most (and sometimes not at all) 1 pair of jeans. Jeans take to long to dry and take up too much suitcase space. I like thin cotton crop pants and t-shirts with a sundress or two tossed in just in case I need to dress it up. Then a nice comfy pair of crocs sandals, tevas, and sneakers.

We did 9 weeks in europe a few years ago. Family of 4. Each of us had a smaller roller (18") and a daypack. Anything more than 7 days I plan on doing laundry along the way. Travelling lighter means all of the transfers at airports and hotels are a LOT easier. No schlepping heavy bags.

Great suggestions, thanks everyone!

We found a laundrymat in Barcelona, but it was after we had already washed our clothes in the shower which had a small 4 inch lip which made washing the clothes easy.

Which was probably good, as I can't read Spanish, so didn't know how to use the machines. And nobody was there.

The two we visited recently in Spain had instructions in English as well as Spanish, and had instructions on their web site as well. Major tourist cities will usually have English instructions if the laundromat is not far from tourist areas.

Although I admit I can read Spanish and I am familiar with how European laundromats work. Often the machines dispense soap automatically, so you pick the size of the washing machine - even the smallest can take a pretty big load - you just have to close, pick your water temp before or after putting in coins, hit start and the machine locks and runs. Dryers you put in coins, pick temp, and maybe hit start. These you can usually open and they’ll resume, and you can add coins for more time.

Most laundromats have coin change machines and some will sell small boxes of soap if the machines don’t dispense soap.

Last edited:
Malaga 2016: A small laundromat just opened near where we were living......we figured out how to operate it and while we were waiting for our laundry a few locals asked us, in Spanish, how it worked.

We were the temporary Spanglish laundromat consultants. :LOL:

The clothing I packed for my recent Italy/Paris trip was posted earlier. I used some cheap packing cubes from Wallyworld, the largest of which would hold three each shirts, undies, and socks, plus one pair of pants. Four of those fit nicely into my 22” carry-on, one each for Rome, Florence, Venice, and Paris. Also carried two spare outfits, plus one for the ride home. Worked surprisingly well. The pants still looked presentable after 2-3 days wear, though I did need the spare shirts because the weather and walking were sweat inducing...

Thus, I did twelve days without checked bags, or needing to do laundry. My lady friend needed a tad more storage... [emoji6]

Back
Top Bottom