UK After 30 Years, Whats Changed?

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A lifetime ago I went to university for a year (70/71) and then worked 3+ years (77-80 ) in a US Navy office in London. Now going back with my wife and another couple. We will spend about a month in Cornwall, Devon, Wales (renting a canal boat for a week) and then on to Oxford and a few days in London. We will have a rental car the whole time.
Decided not to focus on London, more for another trip.
So whats changed? Anything I need to know? I remember 'old money (LSD, in the 70s, pre Commom Market, maybe that has returned?) and drove my motorcycle all over the place, Lands End to John O'groats. I understand I cannot drive in central London, no problem.
Anything new and not to miss in SW England, Wales, Cotswolds and a short time in London?

Much of Wales for me was the grand castles along the coast. They certainly are not new. Also Snowdonia (not new either).

UK After 30 Years, Whats Changed? A lifetime ago I went to university for a year (70/71) and then worked 3+ years (77-80 )

Umm, more like 50 years.

Nothing like a tepid beverage to quench your thirst - NOT!

You can get ice in your drink.

I understand I cannot drive in central London, no problem.

You can certainly drive there; you will just pay the congestion charge which will automatically be added to your rental car bill (based on the photos of your license plate).

Although getting around London by tube and bus is so easy there's no need to drive.

The cost of rail transport has increased incredibly.

Traffic - plain and simple. I used to love driving / riding (2 wheels) all over UK . Not any more (apart from some areas of Scotland / Wales). Roads generally very congested , and not fun any more.

Mushy peas are still readily available (if you like them). Many more ethnic restaurants to choose from. Wales is still magical.

Back
Top Bottom