When will Europe open for American visitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some NY visitors face quarantine (June 24th)

Some NY visitors face quarantine (June 24th).
If you fly through NYC you may get quarantined before you get to Europe.

Attachments

• Capbbture.JPG
    Capbbture.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 57
US just hit new daily high for new cases at 39,103 surpassing 39,072 from April 24th. I'm thinking that it is going to be awhile before Europe is willing to open up. It seems that our government is in no hurry to see the Canada/US border open either and I wouldn't be surprised if restrictions lasted all summer. In Ontario, Windsor (across the river from Detroit) was the last city to allow malls and restaurants for outdoor service to open but the general State of Emergency has been extended until July 15th.

Looks like Europe won't open for the US until numbers start getting better.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-citizens-international-travel-problems-covid-19/index.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/world/europe/europe-us-travel-ban.html

We took advantage of COVID to go to Niagara Falls on Thursday and it was a surreal experience. I grew up in the Niagara area and I have never seen anything like the current situation. It was a gorgeous day with sun and high 70s temps, the kind of day that would usually be elbow to elbow along the walks and there was virtually no one. I could have stood at the overlook at the brink of the Horseshoe Falls for quite awhile without feeling the need to move on so someone else could experience the view. Usually get 30 seconds there max. No traffic, no Maid of the Mist under the Falls, just strange. Will definitely go multiple times this summer - usually too crowded for my tastes.

Some NY visitors face quarantine (June 24th).
If you fly through NYC you may get quarantined before you get to Europe.

There goes my planned trip to CT this Fall, unless they relax this in a couple of months.:facepalm:

I think the UK lets Americans travel to the UK, IF you stay quarantined for 14 days upon arrival. Which is pointless unless you have business there or are flying to a place that will let Americans in and then you may be subject to more quarantine. So I just can't see a good way forward right now to travel to Europe.

RSSC just canceled our October cruise to Canada and Bermuda. I don't think it was because of not enough passengers. I think Canadian ports of call said "Uh-uh."

Not that the RSSC agent could, or would, give a reason.

Europe Set to Extend Travel Ban for U.S. Residents (June 30)

"The wording of the decision, seen by Bloomberg, signals that the ban disrupting both business and leisure travel across the Atlantic won’t be lifted until U.S. authorities control the spread of the coronavirus pandemic."

Attachments

• Caccpture.JPG
    Caccpture.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 32

"The wording of the decision, seen by Bloomberg, signals that the ban disrupting both business and leisure travel across the Atlantic won’t be lifted until U.S. authorities control the spread of the coronavirus pandemic."

I am sure it will be lifted as soon as possible. I've been told that on a per capita basis we Americans spend a lot more in Europe than others. Most European countries will want us back after a few months of their tight fisted fellow Europeans such as the Germans. Now if the Chinese poor back into Europe that may change.

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020. It is not in Europe.

Quelle surprise. The question, (perhaps I phrased it poorly), was/is not if the UK is part of Europe, but rather, given the apparent numbers, who should stand the greater odds of being restricted.....(I'm led to believe that Spain is/may be allowing Brits entry.....no documented info.)

Quelle surprise. The question, (perhaps I phrased it poorly), was/is not if the UK is part of Europe, but rather, given the apparent numbers, who should stand the greater odds of being restricted.....(I'm led to believe that Spain is/may be allowing Brits entry.....no documented info.)

Travel to Spain and other EU destinations will probably start mid July as "air bridge" arrangements are made between various countries.

The UK has the highest Covid death rate of any country over 5m but the easing of restrictions is not about the past but the present.

Death rates, infection rates, critical care bed occupancy etc are all well down. However, the city of Leicester (pop 370k) has just entered lockdown again after a surge in infections so the country is far from being through this pandemic. Leicester is also not going to be easing restrictions further next week like the rest of England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53233066

The number of deaths registered in the UK over one week has fallen below the five-year average for the first time since mid-March.

More than 80% of local authorities in Great Britain have also seen death rates fall to normal levels.

The decrease reflects a decline in coronavirus-related deaths, official data shows.

Of 10,681 deaths registered in the week up to 19 June, 849 (8%) mentioned coronavirus.

Hospital admissions, ICU occupancy etc are all way down from the peaks in March and April.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-uk-hospital-admissions/

Reactions: jj
I'm not a statistician, (Geez, I can't even spell statistician), but this chart/map (purportedly current) shows the US, (population ~331 million), with around 129,545 deaths, while the UK, (population ~68 million), has around 43,660 deaths.

Who should be banned?

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

What matters is the current trend. Despite a higher death rate, the UK is showing a flattening curve at the moment, much like the rest of Europe (yes the UK is in Europe, but not in the European Union).

Reactions: jj
We were so looking forward to our first trip to Europe in May. We got most of our money back, except for about $650 in vouchers. Now I'm just hoping the voucher dates will be extended if US citizens are still banned next May.

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020. It is not in Europe.

Just because I'm pedantic sometimes: it is "in Europe" and will always be. But it's no longer part of the EU politically, and still in the transition period so customs/market rules are in effect.

Just because I'm pedantic sometimes: it is "in Europe" and will always be. But it's no longer part of the EU politically, and still in the transition period so customs/market rules are in effect.

Even though it was part of the EU, it was not part of the Schengen zone and you still had to go through passport control between the UK and the rest of the EU.

I'm not a statistician, (Geez, I can't even spell statistician), but this chart/map (purportedly current) shows the US, (population ~331 million), with around 129,545 deaths, while the UK, (population ~68 million), has around 43,660 deaths.

Who should be banned?

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Not very relevant to compare with the UK since they have been the worst hit in Europe. The US and the UK competing in the top of COVID-19 lists if you sort per capita. The rest of Europe has faired much better.

Norway is still closing it's borders for UK as well as for the US. From July 15th Norway is opening up for people from the Schengen countries in Europe provided the rate of new cases stay below a given threshold. As of yesterday only Poland and Portugal was above this threshold. The UK is not a member.

Not very relevant to compare with the UK since they have been the worst hit in Europe. The US and the UK competing in the top of COVID-19 lists if you sort per capita. The rest of Europe has faired much better.

Since I'd heard, (rightly or wrongly), at the time I posted, that the Brits, with more deaths percentagewise, were being allowed to travel to Spain, (the example I was given), I wondered why it appeared that Americans were not.

I was not comparing, nor was it my intention to compare, the UK with other European countries, I was simply, (and I'm a simple person), following the thread's meme.

Since I'd heard, (rightly or wrongly), at the time I posted, that the Brits, with more deaths percentagewise, were being allowed to travel to Spain, (the example I was given), I wondered why it appeared that Americans were not.
Total deaths are never going to change and the population will rise or fall very slightly. That means that the UK death rate will never ever go up or down very much. Do you think this means the UK should be banned from travel forever?

As has been explained above in more than one post it is what is happening now, not what has happened in the past that will determine travel restrictions.

I was not comparing, nor was it my intention to compare, the UK with other European countries, I was simply, (and I'm a simple person), following the thread's meme.

Canadians can travel to the E.U. now.

Canadians can travel to the E.U. now.

Yabbut....the thread is titled "When will Europe open for American visitors?" which is what I (thought I) was responding to. :)

What is important for Europe is the situation averaged over the last two weeks.

Most of the EU countries and some EEC countries like Norway have a free movement agreement aka Schengen. This group have enabled internal movement of people again after C-19. But individual countries may have stricter rules if they want to. Like Norway have. The UK is not a part of this agreement.

Schengen relaxed the rules today allowing people from 14 new countries to visit. Algeire, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia and Uruguay.

Schengen do not welcome people from USA, Russia, Brazil, India and others. This list of countries will be evaluated every 14 days. Countries may be removed from the list if the pandemic situation gets worse.

To be welcomed to Norway starting July the 15th the countries must be OK'ed by Schengen and meet the additional criteria:

• Less than 20 infected per 100.000 over the last 14 days
  • Less than 0.5 new ICU patients per 100.000
  • No more than 5% of tested people must be infected
Until July the 15th only Denmark, Finland and Iceland can visit Norway without beeing quarantined.

More info: https://apnews.com/ea0d2cff51aa296f47d35a204831a474

Yabbut....the thread is titled "When will Europe open for American visitors?" which is what I (thought I) was responding to. :)

Well, clearly the US and Canada are treated differently by the EU in terms of how well they are handling virus containment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom