Travel Plan 2023

I'm glad you had a good time in Monterey.

Our favorite time to go there is if we are evacuated due to fires :) which we have done twice. Second favorite (much preferred) is in September when school starts. The weather is generally very good as it is all along the coast and the school kids are not ready for field trips yet to the aquarium.

I love Monterey and it’s so beautiful!!

Headed from the US to Cape Town and Kruger Game Reserve next week. Contemplating the Queen Mary 2 for a trip NYC to London in late August. Italy in October for my daughter's wedding. Probably Florida in November-ish.

Big travel year before we get too old.

We went to Zion National Park, the Grand Canyon, and finally a week in Sedona.

Here is a pic of a herd of Bighorn Sheep we ran into in the eastern section of Zion:

Great pic! We are heading into Zion via the east entrance tomorrow so we will look for them.

At the North Rim of Grand Canyon now in 3rd week of our national park adventure in Utah, Colorado and Arizona.

Back from the OAT trip to Peru, Ecuador and the Galapagos- loved it. As usual, a lot of moving around, sometimes with only one overnight in a hotel someplace, and a few early mornings to catch flights. Macchu Picchu and Galapagos, of course, were the highlights but plenty of other good places in between. I'd forgotten how nice it was to be on a small ship- the gentle rocking at night is very relaxing!

I also noticed and appreciated a lot of the details they handle. Here are your room keys, your bags are already in your rooms. You'll need to pay a $100 fee in cash when you enter Galapagos- here's an envelope with $100 cash. Here are your tickets to Macchu Picchu, etc. No nickel-and-diming. I know that comes with an added cost but I appreciate being able to use my time and energy exploring. Group was only 4 plus the guide- all nice people. The 2 guys had a few "date nights" for dinner, ending up with me being sort of paired with the widower in the group, but he was a nice enough guy who reminded me a lot of one of my brothers.

At the risk of venturing into COVID territory- this was my first major trip NOT affected by COVID since it started. Sent home from Bolivia in March, 2020, 7-day cruise to Alaska ended halfway through when 2 people on board tested positive in August, 2021 (all of us vaccinated and tested beforehand but one couple went out bar-hopping the night before), need for negative COVID test to re-enter US from Europe last May, 2 women on E. European trip tested positive last September. Trip continued and they quarantined. Still glad I ventured out on those trips.

Next up: OAT, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania in October.

With a late spring, we've had a slow start to the camping season with only one short trip along the Mississippi River in western Wisconsin. Next up is a semi-circle around Lake Michigan through the U.P and then to Traverse City for a week before meandering back home.

Back from the OAT trip to Peru, Ecuador and the Galapagos- loved it.

Galapagos and Antarctica were far and away the two best trips I've ever taken. Both were on small ships and I can't say enough good about both. Glad you enjoyed it.

I am really enjoying hearing about all the travel plans here.

After our 2 week trip to Utah/Arizona for hiking we are planning on a 1 month August trip to Europe. Got the travel bug bad. :)

London, France, Belgium, Netherlands. Specifically these are the cities we are staying at followed by day trips from them. Mostly train travel.

London
Join up with a Rabbies tour of Devon/Cornwall for 5 days. Hoping for a good travel leader as the few we have had on tours were poor.
then a few days on on own
Paris
We want to go back to Chartre and Fontainbleau.
Versailles was very crowded in 2012 when we were there last. But not the grounds. Might try it again.
The Orsay Museum and Orangerie.
Brussels
Bruges, Ghent. Also the Waterloo Battlefield.
Utrecht
Arnhem Open Air Museum
Haarlem
The Hague, Leiden

I will be getting a new Chase Sapphire Preferred card. The Chase site says this is going away soon. I dropped the Sapphire card during bad Covid times.

Last edited:
I am really enjoying hearing about all the travel plans here.

After our 2 week trip to Utah/Arizona for hiking we are planning on a 1 month August trip to Europe. Got the travel bug bad. :)

London, France, Belgium, Netherlands. Specifically these are the cities we are staying at followed by day trips from them. Mostly train travel.

I will be getting a new Chase Sapphire Preferred card. The Chase site says this is going away soon. I dropped the Sapphire card during bad Covid times.
Don’t miss the Mauritshaus museum in The Hague, small fine art museum with masterpieces. Also, The Hague is near the beach with numerous seafood eateries - just a few minutes from downtown by tram. Also we enjoyed Madurodam.

Leiden is lovely. They have a famous historical botanical garden among many other sites.

I am booked with a friend to go to France in April 24. She called and we need to switch our reservations to 2025 because of her husband’s health issues. Luckily we can do so without incurring fees. We took the any reason trip insurance and only put 895 down. By the time 2/25 arrives and we need to pay the balance we will know if we can go or not.

I am glad that I have seen everything on my bucket list because you just never know what happens. This destination was her pick as we took turns. I am sure it’s beautiful like the rest of Europe.

Back from Paris! My first time there, while DW lived there for a year while we were in college, and has maintained her fluency in French. Trip highlights (long boring post, feel free to skip):

Flights: I went full BTD and surprised DW with United Polaris service. She wondered why I told her (a) no need to bring a snack to the airport, (b) we will not be buying food at the airport, and (c) we should get there about 4 hours before flight departure. When I took her to the Polaris line to check in she exclaimed “don’t tell me we’re going first class??” The Polaris lounge in the U.S. and Star Alliance lounge at CDG airport blew her away, and she felt incredibly spoiled by the experience.

We took taxis between the airport and our hotel. The train would have saved some money and put us not too far from the hotel, but DW did not want to deal with a checked bag through the steps of the metro and along the street, so happy wife, happy life :) (we did see more than a few people walking around Paris like this).

Money: though I had Euros left from an Ireland trip a few weeks ago, and we withdrew more from an ATM after we arrived, we really did not need any cash. Every store/restaurant/street market accepted credit cards ( and no PIN was needed). We used Capital One cards and we received pretty much the market exchange rate with no foreign transaction fees.

Weather: We were very fortunate. No rain, and the sun was out on many days. Highs were around 70, lows at night in the mid to low 50s. For us that was perfect weather.

Lodging: We stayed in an apartment hotel in the 6th Arrondissement, along the Seine river. Our room had a small but useful kitchen area with fridge, stove, microwave, plates/glasses/utensils/pots, and dishwasher. That gave us flexible eating options. The location was excellent – reasonable walking distance to our main interests, and 5-10 minutes from several metro stations (including 2 major ones) that gave us direct access to almost all of the metro lines and several of the RER lines. We bought Navigo passes with 10 tickets each, and that is exactly what we used.

Despite being near the metro we preferred to walk around (and are blessed that at 65 we are still very mobile). We were comfortable walking 8-13 miles each day. Walking around Paris is like walking through a historical museum, it is interesting and it never felt tiring.

Local people: My perspective was that the locals may not be outgoing, but they were polite. Often when negotiating a crowded intersecting point they would gesture or kindly say “allez” or “s’il vous plait” and want us to proceed. The restaurants in Paris had English translation in the menus. DW said there was a lot more familiarity with English (and willingness for the locals to speak it) than she encountered when she was in school.

Major sightseeing: DW kindly gave me priority for deciding what to see. But she is the history/art person of the family, and has taught French history at the college level, so I listened wisely to her advice. Our stops included The Trocadero, Eiffel Tower, The Louvre (DW visited every month when she was in school and still has not seen close to all of it), Les Invalides, Arc de Triomphe, Champs-Elysees (had to stop in the McDonalds to verify "Pulp Fiction" was wrong :D), Notre Dame (walking around outside of it), Saint-Chapelle, Pere Lachaise, Saint-Denis, The Pantheon, Le Petit Palais, and L’Opera . In addition to Notre Dame, several of these (and other) places are undergoing renovations, most likely in preparation for the Olympics next year. The tourist traffic was relatively light, from my view, compared to what I had heard about the crowds. The "worst" was the Louvre, but we went on a late Friday afternoon and it did not seem bad (we did have advanced entry tickets, and the line for the Mona Lisa was less than a 10 minute wait).

We walked along the banks of the Seine, through several neighborhoods (such as the Latin Quarter), as well as where DW lived and where she attended school. It was huge thrill for her to see the apartment building she lived in. It is now a nursing home, but they let us into the courtyard. We took the subway route she took to school, and visited the school itself (due to security we were not able to get onto the grounds, but she could still see and recognize some of the buildings).

We also took a day trip to Normandy, via the very comfortable train. We saw the Bayeux Tapestry (amazing to see the artistic detail telling the tale of the Norman Conquest, in an object now over a 1000 years old), and toured several major WWII related sites (Point du Hoc, Omaha Beach, American Cemetery). Being there brings a whole new meaning. We were in the cemetery when they lowered the flags and played taps. This visit reinforced our gratitude for the military sacrifice that took place there.

Food: Oh la la :D. I liked dining and knowing that the menu price was the final price – no need to figure out what the tax might be, or a tip. The weather was nice enough so that all our restaurant meals were either outdoors or by a window, so we could people watch (that in itself is entertaining). Even with our eating, we both had lost about 5 pounds during our visit– all that walking must have burned it off :LOL:.

I did not find restaurant meals expensive, as we drank only water and did not get dessert (we saved that for the pastry and candy shops :LOL:). Meals were between 19-50 Euros. The only exception was the “fancy” (meaning we dressed up somewhat :)) dinner river cruise we took, which included champagne and wine).

Safety: Despite what we read and watched about pickpockets and various scams, we were fine and never felt in or near trouble. Growing up in no-so-nice neighborhoods in large cities already tuned our "street smarts" antennae. There were a couple of times on the metro that we were in packed crowds. But we had neck wallets under our tops and drawstring backpacks so that was fine. I had my phone in my front pocket, but had it attached to a lanyard hooked to my belt loop, and that worked (the lanyard also kept the phone from hitting the ground a couple of times).

We were approached a few times for potential scam situations, but once DW replied in French they left us alone. I remembered enough French to reply “sorry, I do not speak English” :).

While there are protests and strikes, none occurred while we were there. I believe some are scheduled for June, so our timing was good in avoiding them.

No trip is perfect: I got food poisoning, but fortunately only for a day. I am sure it was either macarons or ice cream I purchased from a street market near our hotel. And, against her judgment and my recommendations, DW could not resist purchasing a handbag from one of the “vendors” outside of the Eiffel Tower. Within an hour it broke. Oh well, worse things could happen.

In sum, a “triumphant” early honeymoon celebration of our upcoming 40th wedding anniversary!

Attachments

• arch-de-Triomphe-800.jpg
    arch-de-Triomphe-800.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 47
Wow fabulous! And congratulations on your upcoming anniversary.

The phone lanyard is definitely handy for this kind of travel. Especially for taking pictures out of bus windows and from balcony or bridge railings.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was a great trip! I was in Paris for just 2 days a few years ago and part of the fun was just wandering around. The Polaris Club must have been a wonderful surprise for your wife. I've thoroughly enjoyed the one in Chicago (a frequent hub for me)- on my first RT I was actually grateful for long layovers. DH and I also found the Louvre and the D'Orsay to be overwhelmed with tourists when we went 10 years ago but found a lovely exhibit of Slovenian Impressionists on loan from the museum in Ljubljana (who knew there were Slovenian Impressionists?) at Le Petit Palais.

In 2015 we went to the Musee de l’Orangerie (Monet murals) first thing and amazingly had it almost all to ourselves for the first hour. It was DH’s 60th birthday. I also had the Eiffel Tower lighting up at 11pm while we sipped champagne and watched from our room overlooking the Tuileries Gardens.

DH and I also found the Louvre and the D'Orsay to be overwhelmed with tourists when we went 10 years ago but found a lovely exhibit of Slovenian Impressionists on loan from the museum in Ljubljana (who knew there were Slovenian Impressionists?) at Le Petit Palais.

We were just a 15 minute walk from Musee D'Orsay, and walked by it a couple of times, but it was not high on DW's list to go inside. However, on last full day in Paris we went to Palais Garnier, and found much of the facade covered for renovations (they do have pretty coverings to hide scaffolding). There is a statute "La Danse" outside that DW really wanted to see, but it was covered. When she asked inside, they told her "oh, that is a copy, the original is in Musee D'Orsay". DW had not realized that :facepalm:. But, by that time it was too late to get there before it closed. So D'Orsay is on her list if we ever go again :).

By the way, in the Palais Garnier, I was entertained by the number of "models" dressed to kill, with photographers taking their pictures at key spots in the building. There were some areas where there was practically a waiting line for these "photo shoots". We had to dodge a few when walking up the Grand Staircase. I said to myself "did they really walk or take the metro here dressed up like that and wearing shoes one should not walk great distances in?" I am sure many probably came there and changed in the restrooms :).

Jollystomper, great post. You are very lucky to have a wife fluent in French.

Lanyard question: Did you use it all the time or just when in crowds? I looked on Amazon and this looked like it might work. The short video shows adjustments: https://www.amazon.com/OUTXE-Universal-Phone-Lanyard-Smartphones/dp/B08D67S21Z/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3B0V91T1H6ZXX&keywords=lanyard%2Bfor%2Biphone&qid=1685218735&sprefix=lanyard%2Bfor%2Biphone%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-1&th=1
It is adjustable and one can unclip it. For a guy it seems like the phone could be in your pocket but not so easy to pickpocket. I guess wireless charging would be best.

I recall some times when street types glanced down at my belt buckle level and also when some suspicious looking young ladies crowded around me on the metro near the exit door. If one is holding onto a poll for balance one is pretty exposed.

Congrats on your 40th anniversary. Ours is next year. I'll have to figure out where to bring DW.:)

Jollystomper, great post. You are very lucky to have a wife fluent in French.

Lanyard question: Did you use it all the time or just when in crowds? I looked on Amazon and this looked like it might work. The short video shows adjustments: https://www.amazon.com/OUTXE-Universal-Phone-Lanyard-Smartphones/dp/B08D67S21Z/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3B0V91T1H6ZXX&keywords=lanyard%2Bfor%2Biphone&qid=1685218735&sprefix=lanyard%2Bfor%2Biphone%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-1&th=1
It is adjustable and one can unclip it. For a guy it seems like the phone could be in your pocket but not so easy to pickpocket. I guess wireless charging would be best.

I recall some times when street types glanced down at my belt buckle level and also when some suspicious looking young ladies crowded around me on the metro near the exit door. If one is holding onto a poll for balance one is pretty exposed.

I used the lanyard all the time. It is a retractable lanyard, this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y7DWPV4

The back of my phone case has a ring that can fold out as a stand, or used to hold it steadier when taking a selfie. I put the ring of the lanyard around that case ring - like putting something on a keychain ring. The carabiner clip I clipped to the belt loop of my trousers. That kept it firm, but made it easy to remove for those times when I had to go through security scanners. It was easier to keep it on the phone all the time.

A couple of times, when adjust the phone on a selfie stick, the phone slipped - but holding the lanyard it was easy to keep the phone from hitting the ground when that happened.

On the metro, even with it, I always made sure I had one hand free to cover than pocket, just in case. I have a small drawstring backpack that I used to carry things. One would have to pull on strings to try to open it, and those strings were around and under my arms so any pressure would easily be felt.

I’ve used a wrist strap. I got a couple of some cheap phone cases. The DH punched a metal grommet into the spine of my leather wallet style phone case and I clipped on the wrist strap. It worked really well when traveling overseas.

jolleystomper--what a wonderful trip!

Booked air for a month trip to Morocco in Sept/Oct. Will do 20 or so days independent and 10 days on a tour to the Atlas mountains, etc.

Also booked 9 days in Nuevo Vallarta for early Dec. Planning on another add on week in San Francisco, north of PV in late Nov. Just need to line up air.

Shopping air for our Thailand/Malaysia snowbird trip. Cannot believe how much airfare has increased on these SE Asia routes. Hoping that it will go down a little over the next several months.

Just booked a week in Belize for Thanksgiving.

All the major holidays are typically held at our home. Huge effort and expense hosting extended family and significant others for the long weekend. This year we are flipping the script and getting out of town.

just booked a week in belize for thanksgiving.

All the major holidays are typically held at our home. Huge effort and expense hosting extended family and significant others for the long weekend. This year we are flipping the script and getting out of town.

good plan!

@jollystomper what a great trip. Not long & boring at all! I really like the D'Orsay. Seems more human scale than the Louvre. We also saw the MCD on Champs-Elysees. I have a picture of the sign. Loved the food in Paris & felt it was affordable & loved not rounding up 20% for a tip. I love the people. They are very nice but not overly friendly (American version) I don't know what I would call it. Just an air of class I think. We were a bit hesitant about just sitting at a busy sidewalk table at a cafe. Do we ask the waiter is this OK? Finally we just sat down & he came over shortly. Now we know...just sit. LOL

I'm sure your wife helped guide you on the customs & on the ground knowledge. I'm still learning but love Paris. We were there for a month last year & it wasn't enough. Going for a week or so this year but avoiding 2024 because of the Olympics...too crowded

Back from Paris! My first time there, while DW lived there for a year while we were in college, and has maintained her fluency in French. Trip highlights (long boring post, feel free to skip):

Sounds like you will be back!

I have been to Paris 3 times, and won't rule out another visit. There are places I have not visited.

Flights: I went full BTD and surprised DW with United Polaris service. She wondered why I told her (a) no need to bring a snack to the airport, (b) we will not be buying food at the airport, and (c) we should get there about 4 hours before flight departure. When I took her to the Polaris line to check in she exclaimed “don’t tell me we’re going first class??” The Polaris lounge in the U.S. and Star Alliance lounge at CDG airport blew her away, and she felt incredibly spoiled by the experience.

I have not heard of United Polaris. Just looked it up. Yes, it's only money, which you won't be able to take it with you. :)

We took taxis between the airport and our hotel. The train would have saved some money and put us not too far from the hotel, but DW did not want to deal with a checked bag through the steps of the metro and along the street, so happy wife, happy life :) (we did see more than a few people walking around Paris like this).

We have always traveled with only a personal item and a carry-on. And when we were younger, did not mind taking the train/metro from airports into town. But the most recent trips, we took Uber. The 50-euro one-way trips were worth it.

Money: though I had Euros left from an Ireland trip a few weeks ago, and we withdrew more from an ATM after we arrived, we really did not need any cash. Every store/restaurant/street market accepted credit cards ( and no PIN was needed). We used Capital One cards and we received pretty much the market exchange rate with no foreign transaction fees.

Yes, the Europeans use cash much less than Americans. Scandinavian countries have been nearly cashless. In Stockholm you can even use your touchless credit card to enter a metro or train turnstile, instead of using the usual prepaid wireless metro card.

We will be in Scandinavian countries soon, and I will not even bother to get some local currencies. It would be a chore as they don't use the euro, and still keep their own kronas, which are all different.

Weather: We were very fortunate. No rain, and the sun was out on many days. Highs were around 70, lows at night in the mid to low 50s. For us that was perfect weather.

When we were there last, it was in late June, and they had a heat wave. The temperature hit 100F and higher in some parts of Europe. People were dying. I swear to never again be there in the summer.

Despite being near the metro we preferred to walk around (and are blessed that at 65 we are still very mobile). We were comfortable walking 8-13 miles each day. Walking around Paris is like walking through a historical museum, it is interesting and it never felt tiring.

Yes, you see more being on foot. Can't see much riding the underground metro. :)

I did not find restaurant meals expensive, as we drank only water and did not get dessert (we saved that for the pastry and candy shops :LOL:). Meals were between 19-50 Euros. The only exception was the “fancy” (meaning we dressed up somewhat :)) dinner river cruise we took, which included champagne and wine).

Not all European restaurants are expensive. In Annecy, we had a nice 3-course dinner with plenty of drinks at a well-rated restaurant, and paid less than $150 for 2 as I recall.

Outside of big cities, Italian restaurants are inexpensive compared to typical American ones, and the service and food are so much better.

On the other hand, I am preparing myself to brace against the shock of high food prices in Scandinavian countries. A burger can run US$20. A not-so-special 3-course meal with drinks can be $100/person easily. Well, what can you expect when a bus or metro ride there costs US$5 already?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom