When will Europe open for American visitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustCurious

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I planned a trip to Europe for April that was obviously cancelled, and I'm itching to go to Europe. I am tentatively planning to go in September or October, but have not made definite plans yet for obvious reasons. I just read that Europe just opened up for intra-European travel between European countries as of June 15, but there is no definite date yet for allowing foreign visitors from outside of the EU and in particular, U.S. visitors. I have read speculation that international travel will open up starting in July.

When do you think Europe will open up for international visitors from the U.S.? Do you think there will be restrictions, such as quarantines? Forced testing? Will there be restrictions within Europe upon arrival, such as capacity restrictions for retail establishments like restaurants, museums, etc.? When do you think Europe will open up for international visitors without restrictions?

I suspect that the decision will be based upon how well the US is doing on Covid post opening up. I would expect that Europe will be watching the stats closely.

I suspect that the decision will be based upon how well the US is doing on Covid post opening up. I would expect that Europe will be watching the stats closely.

If the anticipated September Covid resurgence happens that date could be extended. It is anyone’s guess at this point in time.

When do you think Europe will open up for international visitors from the U.S.?

I'm guessing it'll be around the same time it opens up for Canadians.....but, ¿Quién sabe?

(We haven't totally abandoned hope of going to Ukraine in October.)

November 4th

afternoon or morning? :cool:

I have a Virgin atlantic voucher to use. I'm tempted to use it around Christmas time. I got a heckuva deal on tickets. So it's going to be difficult to match the voucher amount. I have a Google flights alert on for that time period. Saw one flight for about a day for $1300ish Business Class.

But I want to wait & see what is happening before pulling the lever

It's not just Europe. Regent Seven Seas just canceled our cruise to Canada and the U.S. East Coast, that was set for October. I think all the usual excursion venues are saying NO to cruise ships. And maybe to Americans in general!

P.S. Can't say I blame them, if so.

The European countries that are opening have seen their Covid infection rates drop to very low levels, thus limiting the risk of spread. We are essentially plateauing at an off peak, but still fairly high level of new infections. Until we drop to low levels, I expect that we will not be welcome. Could be many months, or until there is a vaccine.

Officially, external Schengen borders will remain closed until least the end of the month. Some countries have already announced that they would like the closure to be extended further. But at this point, I don't believe that there is any agreement on a firm reopening date.

I think it must be great for Europeans to be able to enjoy their wonderful museums and such without the hordes of foreign tourists. If I lived there I would definitely be taking advantage of the opportunity.

I have a friend who lives in Brussels. He goes for long walks in the completely shut-down city and posts eerie-looking photos of deserted city squares.

I think it must be great for Europeans to be able to enjoy their wonderful museums and such without the hordes of foreign tourists. If I lived there I would definitely be taking advantage of the opportunity.

I have a friend who lives in Brussels. He goes for long walks in the completely shut-down city and posts eerie-looking photos of deserted city squares.

Belgium was particularly hard hit. They suffered a very high deaths per 1M people compared to other European countries.

When do you think Europe will open up for international visitors from the U.S.? Do you think there will be restrictions, such as quarantines? Forced testing?

Fall 2020 with required testing and possible quarantines depending on current conditions.

I traveled to Asia several times during the SARS pandemic. There were body temperature heat scanners in Tokyo, Bangkok, HK etcetera. I think that testing "hot" required more testing, quarantine and possible denial of entry. Not worth the risk to travel far to be possibly rejected.

In the meantime, we can watch Rick Steves travel videos!

I have the same question as the OP. As of now, my money is on September as the earliest I think we can travel to Europe, with booking the travel possibly in August. If I had to hedge, then I would go later rather than sooner just based on how slowly they are re-opening to other EU countries. I'm watching Greece in particular because it's a country that depends on tourism for its economy and they controlled their initial outbreak really well. The weather in Greece looks favorable through the end of September or even early October, so it is on the short list of places I would go to meet up with my girlfriend, who lives in Europe.

I would be very surprised if most of Europe re-opened to U.S. visitors within the next 3-4 months. There would have to be a dramatic improvement in U.S. infection/hospitalization rates before most countries would be willing to allow hordes of potential virus carriers to swarm back in. Of course, measures like temperature checks, arrival quarantines, and even on-the-spot testing could be implemented, but my guess is that most countries won't go to such lengths, given the complexities and costs associated.

Personally, I'm not expecting to be able to set foot on European soil for roughly 10-12 months.

June 17: Australia Borders Likely Closed Until 2021

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/06/17/world/asia/17reuters-health-coronavirus-australia.html

Australia Says Borders Likely to Stay Closed Until 2021
By Reuters
June 17, 2020, 12:55 a.m. ET

SYDNEY — Australia is unlikely to reopen its border to international travellers until next year but will look to relax entry rules for students and other long-term visitors, Trade Minister Simon Birmingham said on Wednesday.

Australia has been largely successful in containing the spread of the novel coronavirus, which it attributes to curbs on international travel and tough social-distancing rules.

Birmingham said a quarantine rule for returning citizens could be applied to international students and other visitors who plan to stay for a long period of time.

"We can simply work through the 14-day quarantine periods that have worked so well in terms of returning Australians to this country safely," Birmingham said in a speech to the National Press Club.

Europe has said that any country you are coming from must be doing as well or better in the number of cases. Plus many have a 2 week quarantine. Also the country you are coming from must allow people from the other country to visit here.

Europe has said that any country you are coming from must be doing as well or better in the number of cases. Plus many have a 2 week quarantine. Also the country you are coming from must allow people from the other country to visit here.

Oh boy.
If they have a rule such as: You must wear a mask, I fear they won't open to the US for a year or two :facepalm:

With this summer's trip cancelled, I am hopeful for next summer.

DW is hoping to visit her family in England in November. Perhaps they will give Commonwealth countries special consideration. ;) She is hoping that the 14-day quarantine requirement will be lifted by then.

Not Europe, but travel, none the less;
I was planning a trip to Hawaii, Maui to be precise, but decided not to after checking with the hotel.
I was told that there's a 14 day quarantine, and to enforce it, when checking in the room card/key will only work once; to get into the room. If I leave the room and the door locks behind me, I won't be able to get in. I'll have to go to the front desk, where they will let me back in AND call the police who will come and probably cite me but could actually arrest me if I do it more than once. Man! That is tight!

Lots of other restrictions after the 14 days as well. I'm told you are allowed to walk across the beach to get to the ocean, and to walk back, but you can not stroll the beach or stop, sit, lay or otherwise occupy the beach. No opening date for that.

So I'm not going to plan a trip. At least not until I can freely enjoy the past times of the amenities.

I was told that there's a 14 day quarantine, and to enforce it, when checking in the room card/key will only work once; to get into the room. If I leave the room and the door locks behind me, I won't be able to get in. I'll have to go to the front desk, where they will let me back in AND call the police who will come and probably cite me but could actually arrest me if I do it more than once.

At least you could learn to hula at the reeducation camp. (After the thrice daily confession-of-sins classes, of course.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom