Where's your fave spot for to beat the cold in Feb /March?

For the past eight years we have spent each four winter months on the island of Ambergris Caye, Belize. English the native language as it was British Honduras until 1982. American or Belizean dollar without an exchange rate charge. Huge expat population. Our island is safer than our small town central US town. Temp generally 82 as high. We use Belize as a jump off place to the rest of Central America. Good diving with the Blue Hole.

We had previously traveled through out Caribbean and this is the best we found.

Last edited:
Where we live! That's why we moved away from Chicagoland. We still have 4-seasons but we can play golf, pickle ball and other outside activities year round! Snow is a novelty here, but I can go see it with a short drive all winter. Or a short drive to the ocean. It's lovely!

Last edited:
Melbourne Fla. It s our first winter here and we love it
We keep an RV here and that works for us.

In front of my fireplace. Pretty reasonable price.
++++
Except I have woodstove with transparent ceramic doors. Thus getting the benfit of colorful flames as well. And a good spectrum of infrared heat.

We've fallen in love with San Pancho, Mexico and go every year. It's about 45 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta. We typically throw in 3 days or so in PV at the end.

It's a direct flight from Portland to PV and with the Alaska Airlines companion fare, it's a really simple way for us to get our much needed vitamin D while chilling out.

We had a great quick visit to New Orleans a couple of weeks ago. Weather was in the 70s-fabulous.

Perhaps an underrated warm weather destination.

Reactions: W2R
We've fallen in love with San Pancho, Mexico and go every year. It's about 45 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta. We typically throw in 3 days or so in PV at the end.

It's a direct flight from Portland to PV and with the Alaska Airlines companion fare, it's a really simple way for us to get our much needed vitamin D while chilling out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

One question. When we exit PVR can we catch a bus to San Pancho on the the other side of the pedestrian overpass. We usually do this to catch a cab to Nuevo Vallarta or Bucerias. Any accommodation recommendations in this area?

We only travel with a carry on roller each so luggage is not an issue for us.

We had a great quick visit to New Orleans a couple of weeks ago. Weather was in the 70s-fabulous.

It can be hit or miss some years.

So can Florida. It got down to 35 degrees when we were in Orlando last week. It quickly warmed up to the 80s towards the end of the week though.

Preferred would be Maui. But I try to switch it up. Sarasota, Naples, Mexico, San Antonio, San Diego, Ft Lauderdale, Miami have been places we have visited in the past decade.

Honestly, we haven't found one yet. We've been working on three home improvement projects at once this winter (upstairs bathroom remodel [complete], a breezeway fill-in room, and a basement bedroom/office). So all that's been keeping us here right now. And in the previous three summers since retirement, we didn't travel much. I keep fantasizing about going to see the Detroit Tigers play in Lakeland, FL and was hoping to tag that onto a Caribbean cruise in spring 2024, but now DW is falling more and I'm not sure she can handle it. I'm hoping next year to say either Florida or the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Best weather:

Caribbean, Hawaii, Yucatan Mexico

Continental US:

South Florida, especially the East coast-further from the center of the country which can make a difference with those Arctic blasts.

South Padre Island-less reliable than south Florida but still fun and a bit under the radar.

Plan for this year: Texas, Oahu and Kauai for February.

Bought a ranch in Mexico on the Pacific Ocean 17years ago, still have that, it’s for sale now and we moved to a 4br/3ba townhouse just north of Puerto Vallarta. We have our doors and windows open from November until May.

Cold weather is necessary to scare all the tourists away from Acme Oyster House so I can get in without waiting in line...

We are on the east coast of Florida where I can just walk out the back door to a landscaped backyard I created in anticipation of retirement 10+ years ago. Our concrete driveway goes around the back to the opposite end of the house to the garage door. It is surrounded by a lot of decorative rock with a few areas of grass. There is also a 24' x 32' concrete patio that is fully covered by a pergola with a hot tub, seating/conversation area, and a dining area next to the grill. In the mornings I ride my recumbent bike along the beach and in the afternoons tinker with hobbies and generally relax later with a nice chocolate stout under the pergola before taking a dip in the hot tub. Why would I want to go anywhere else?
Just like finances for retirement we planned on a "vacation" backyard for the times when we could not travel.

Cheers!

+1 for Cozumel, but then we lived there for 3 years. Friends and diving without a wet suit even in the winter... Lots of places in Yucatan and Quintana Roo...

We are currently beating the cold on Padre Island across from Corpus Christi, Texas. We must like it because it's our third trip here in four years. Up early to see the sun rise on the beach and looking out at the blue skies and sun that we have been missing.

We are currently beating the cold on Padre Island across from Corpus Christi, Texas. We must like it because it's our third trip here in four years. Up early to see the sun rise on the beach and looking out at the blue skies and sun that we have been missing.

yes, that is a nice spot. A little quicker drive than South Padre.

We bought a place in Naples last year (between downtown Naples and Marco Island). We plan to be snowbirds next year when our youngest heads off to college. Golf, tennis, pool and spa.

Have moved to as warm a winter climate as I seem to need here in Virginia. I've only rarely taken winter vacation trips to warm places.

The Cancun / Riviera Maya area is our go-to warm weather escape. Most times we just get a condo in the Playa Del Carmen area and hang out for a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom