A Chromebook Advantage: New Computer, No Problem

As a former windows programmer, I get incredibly frustrated with junk that microsoft has had for years and years but have never fixed. For example, there are some windows in the control panel - maybe environment variables? where the windows are not sizeable. This stuff is all over the place plus getting some things to work requires a buddhist prayer wheel. I often wonder if microsoft employees even use this junk. I think their code base has become scary to even microsoft. Maybe time to start over for Microsoft. Add in the security nightmares, malware, bloatware, cpu loads, battery draining, .... Chromebook just works.

Last edited:
And oh, I forgot to mention; my Chromebook never slows down unlike my Windows laptop.

Chromebooks are not the same as fully functional laptop computers. They cannot download and run every software package that people might want to use. This limitation may not matter for most users, but it will matter for some folks.

I've found that 99% of 'downloadable' programs are also available as web/browser based. After 5+ years I've yet to find a CB limitation that could not be resolved or replaced by either a web-based site or a CB app. As more and more functionality become intended for cell phones, I'd think that would only continue to be the trend as CBs now run most apps.

YMMV

If you use Neverware CloudReady, you can convert any old Windows PC to a Chromebook, for free.

So … which Chromebook are people liking these days?

Found this on Slick Deals pre-Black Friday for $349. Our BB had 20 stacked on the floor. About half had i5 processors instead of the advertised i3.

Loving it so far.

HP - 2-in-1 14" Touch-Screen Chromebook - Intel Core i3 - 8GB Memory - 64GB eMMC Flash Memory - White, Gold

Not really a chrome book, but sort of runs like one now and was cheaper than a lot of chromebooks mentioned. . I have an HP stream that came with win 10 and a tiny ssd chip 32gb. Within a few months it did not have enough room to update win 10 which was all it really had on it.

I went with a Linux product mint and installed it into a 250 gb thumb drive. Really have nothing on it except some ad blockers so use that for web browsing things other than my trusted sites.

This is what Lena has:

She got it a few years ago. The battery was deteriorating, and then something wire got lose such that the screen often flickered.

I considered taking it apart, but it wasn't worth it.

I suggested she get a Macbook or a larger laptop, but she likes it, and got an exact replacement.

My kid is looking to replace a Google Pixelbook that will be returned to work once the job ends early next year. Why are the Pixelbooks so expensive? Aren't they just Google-badged Chromebooks?

I've found that 99% of 'downloadable' programs are also available as web/browser based. After 5+ years I've yet to find a CB limitation that could not be resolved or replaced by either a web-based site or a CB app. As more and more functionality become intended for cell phones, I'd think that would only continue to be the trend as CBs now run most apps.

YMMV

True, but the downloadable versions of programs are sometimes just enough different from the web-based versions that they can't be used as substitutes for each other. The one example I am familiar with is a particular astronomy planetarium program called Starry Night. The web-based version and downloadable version have different user interfaces, and the functionality is similar but not identical.

This probably won't be a problem for most users, but it causes a problem for me since I use it to teach astronomy classes.

My kid is looking to replace a Google Pixelbook that will be returned to work once the job ends early next year. Why are the Pixelbooks so expensive? Aren't they just Google-badged Chromebooks?
Pixelbook is a high performance Chromebook. At least that is what Google says.

I've got a Lenovo N22 and it cost around $150 three years ago I believe. Certainly not a high end one but it does everything I need. Fast and durable. Never tried the water test tho. Ha.

So does Apple as I am witnessing from the barrage of emails I am getting from them about addons for the watch I bought for DD last week. I never had an Apple account until I bought the watch for her.

Let's face it, all internet companies and their suppliers view YOU as their product and cash machine. Look at what Microsoft did with Win 10. Read their T&C's and see how you are agreeing to be their product.

+1

We love our Chromebooks. When we travel together we can just take one. When I log into it, it looks and acts like mine. When my wife logs into it it's hers. In addition, anything of consequence is stored in the cloud, not on the machine itself. So if it were to be stolen, lost or damaged nothing besides the hardware is lost....we just purchase a new machine, log into it and Voila!, it's now ours!

Oh, and we can buy really nice machines for around $300!

We do keep a cheap Windows machine around for the one or two tasks that the Chromebooks can't handle like updating our vehicle's Nav system but they are few and far between.

P.S. Chromebooks are very secure by nature and require no virus software. Plus all operating updates happen automatically. So we just use our Chromebooks and don't have to worry about them or mess with them. They're the perfect Boglehead machine!

Last edited:
I put the old Chromebook in the eWaste box, but I just couldn't bear to let it to go landfill or wherever.

I tried donation sites, but they want particular computers.

Then I found SellBroke.com. They sent me a shipping label and will give me $9 for it even though I told them they didn't need to pay me. A technician can bring it back to like-new easily.

I put the old Chromebook in the eWaste box, but I just couldn't bear to let it to go landfill or wherever.

I tried donation sites, but they want particular computers.

Then I found SellBroke.com. They sent me a shipping label and will give me $9 for it even though I told them they didn't need to pay me. A technician can bring it back to like-new easily.
Do Chromebook hard drives contain any personal data? If so, a thorough scrubbing is highly suggested, although I don't know how that is done with a Chromebook.

Do Chromebook hard drives contain any personal data? If so, a thorough scrubbing is highly suggested, although I don't know how that is done with a Chromebook.

Yes, I ran it through a so-called Powerwash.

Got $9 from SellBroke.com. Yippee!

Usell.com is sending me a packing kit, and I'm sending them our old iPod Touch (that we'd been using for tunes in the Leaf). So, another $2 coming my way!

Back
Top Bottom