Alfred Security App

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm going to need a new system for monitoring in my cat room when I'm away.

I've been using a security camera that uses this App called MIPC which used to work fine now after "improvements" to the app, doesn't remember my camera when I turn it off. Frustrating how developers brake stuff when things were working just fine.

After a bit of searching, I came about this app called Alfred. Where one can use an old cell phone paired up with a current phone. Was wondering if anyone has experience with Alfred as to how good it works.

Link to the Alfred system: https://alfred.camera/

Answering my own question ... :).

Planning on setting up a laptop with external webcam instead of the Cloud IP type security cameras.

Seems on the latter, good hardware, so-so software. At least that's my impression.

For a simple, cheap, and pretty darn good setup consider the Wyze Cam.

https://www.wyze.com/products/wyze-cam?related_selling_plan=41618559008930

It’s sits on your WiFi and doesn’t need tethering to another device. It’s a US company, so while it’s secure at the level of HomeKit, but’s pretty good. The video quality is decent.

Set it up and forget it.

I used a couple of these to watch a renovation and it worked great. I just aimed it out the window of an outbuilding and could see what the contractor was up to every day.

Forgot to mention it’s just $29. If you want the video to be stored in the cloud it’s another $2 a month. To watch your cat you might not need that.

Got my webcam set up. Didn't like the Cloud IP solution for a couple of reasons. 1) App changes that made the camera set up having to update frequently or or recently lost connection. 2) Maybe even more important is I always wondered if a Cloud IP setup could be risky. The support person for the Cloud type camera/app I had was some gentleman from China. When talking to him in the past, he seemed like a good guy just enthusiastic about his product. But you never know.

My solution now is remotely accessing an old laptop that runs an open source webcam program on linux. I can remote into the laptop when traveling and from there run the webcam program to view from webcam.

The laptop, plugged into a smart plug can be powered on/off remotely via a phone app.

I can't view by phone app but instead view by laptop. But as the saying goes, this set up "meets my needs" :cool:.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom