Can someone explain Smart TV?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
In plain, simple non-tekkie English can someone explain what smart tv is, how I can get it, and what I need? Thanks very much from a bored, non tekkie.

It is a TV that has smart apps built in for streaming like Netflix, Hulu, etc.

This weekend I bought our middle college kid a TV with Amazon Fire TV as the front end.

This means it is a TV + Fire TV all in one. No additional add on sticks/cubes/boxes needed.

"smart" has varying usefulness. Often the smart apps only get so many updates.

Some TVs have Google built in, Roku built in, Amazon Fire TV built in or they have apps like LG does.

It is a TV that has smart apps built in for streaming like Netflix, Hulu, etc.

This weekend I bought our middle college kid a TV with Amazon Fire TV as the front end.

This means it is a TV + Fire TV all in one. No additional add on sticks/cubes/boxes needed.

"smart" has varying usefulness. Often the smart apps only get so many updates.

Some TVs have Google built in, Roku built in, Amazon Fire TV built in or they have apps like LG does.
Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV devices offer way more apps, but Smart TVs offer quite a few more apps nowadays. For example, Samsung Smart TVs offer 77 apps. https://www.digitbin.com/samsung-smart-tv-apps/

Buying a TV with Roku or Amazon Fire built in may not be a good idea. You can always buy a new Roku or Amazon Fire (they’re not that expensive) to keep current. While you can update the software on a Roku TV for example, you can’t update the streaming hardware. So you’re better off with a good TV and a separate Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV etc. IMO.

Last edited:
instead of being able to only watch stuff off the OTA antenna, or your plugged in cable, the smart TV can also talk to the internet. And it can do apps like netflix. So it's a super easy way to stream onto your TV.

5/10 years ago, you'd have to hook your laptop up to your hdmi inputs and get much more techie than most people to view internet content on your TV. Then came sticks and boxes and hookups to make it easier.

New TV's made that simple.

In plain, simple non-tekkie English can someone explain what smart tv is, how I can get it, and what I need? Thanks very much from a bored, non tekkie.

If you have questions once you get one, ask your 10 year old neighbor kid for help!:)

instead of being able to only watch stuff off the OTA antenna, or your plugged in cable, the smart TV can also talk to the internet. And it can do apps like netflix. So it's a super easy way to stream onto your TV.

5/10 years ago, you'd have to hook your laptop up to your hdmi inputs and get much more techie than most people to view internet content on your TV. Then came sticks and boxes and hookups to make it easier.

New TV's made that simple.

and depending on your cable provider you may not need a smart TV to access many/most streaming services. we have Xfinity (comcast) and our "dumb" TVs can access Amazon, Netflix, Apple Tv+, Paramount +, HBOMAX, Peacock amd more. and also many of the ad. supported streaming services. all through Comcast. of course you'll need an account with those you wish to see.

Buying a TV with Roku or Amazon Fire built in may not be a good idea. You can always buy a new Roku or Amazon Fire (they’re not that expensive) to keep current. While you can update the software on a Roku TV for example, you can’t update the streaming hardware. So you’re better off with a good TV and a separate Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV etc. IMO.

No you're not better off. This means every time you turn on your TV you have to change the input to the HDMI port that has the stick plugged into. It adds another layer onto the process. And it uses up an HDMI input.

Anyway, I can think of no reason why a Roku stick plugged into HDMI2 input of a Roku smart TV would not work for streaming purposes. Just select HDMI2 for the input from your Roku smart TV.

This is the same process if you use a Roku stick with a Samsung TV, for example.

No you're not better off. This means every time you turn on your TV you have to change the input to the HDMI port that has the stick plugged into. It adds another layer onto the process. And it uses up an HDMI input.

Anyway, I can think of no reason why a Roku stick plugged into HDMI2 input of a Roku smart TV would not work for streaming purposes. Just select HDMI2 for the input from your Roku smart TV.

This is the same process if you use a Roku stick with a Samsung TV, for example.
False, the TV will come on with the last input source you selected. If you cut the cord, you don’t have to change HDMI inputs “every time you turn on your TV” - you’ll want it on the Roku input port all the time. However…

Not sure why you’d buy a Roku TV if you planned to subscribe to cable or satellite - but if so, you still have to switch input sources to another HDMI, coax or antenna input. Roku TVs and the like don’t magically integrate streaming with cable/satellite… https://www.alphr.com/roku-tv-connect-cable/

Last edited:

I’ve never had my tv not come back on with the last input that was active. Since I use my Roku almost exclusively, changing the input at start up has never been an issue.

I have a smart tv and went ahead and got the Roku because I really like the interface much better than what the tv offers. So, there’s that to consider also. Plus, while my cable company supplies a streaming app (for the cable channels) for my tv, it does not provide it for all tv brands. If you’re going to eliminate the hard wire cable and stream your cable channels, you need to make sure if the cable company supplies an app for your desired hardware.

My experience with Smart TVs is at the blood collection center. I typically watch Netflix while donating platelets.

Of the various brands, they are all SLOW compared to my Roku. The apps crash a lot too.

I'm just saying the streamers I've used seem more reliable and responsive than the various smart TVs.

We are stick users too. The appeal of a good smart TV is the single remote, a dream from years gone by. :)
It's true, I can turn on everything on the Fire stick remote and get our basic TV channels going from our internet provider's app, but we do get some DVD's from the library and ultimately have to play with the dreaded side table of remotes, and possess the knowledge of switching inputs and accessing the DVD player, sending it smoke signals and waiting an inordinate amount of time for it to respond.
The responsibility falls on my shoulders, I am the keeper of the side table of remotes.
The other gripe about Fire stuff is the remotes die all too soon.

My experience with Smart TVs is at the blood collection center. I typically watch Netflix while donating platelets.

Of the various brands, they are all SLOW compared to my Roku. The apps crash a lot too.

I'm just saying the streamers I've used seem more reliable and responsive than the various smart TVs.
I had the same experience with early smart TVs, but we bought one in 2018 that is as fast or faster than my Roku boxes (Premiere+ is the newest I have), and I can use just one remote for every source.

Speaking of which, Logitech Harmony remotes take a fair amount of setup, but once you have them configured they're great universal remotes. I've been using them for decades, and we got one for my MIL that she loves. You don't have to think about switching inputs or turning on separate devices, these remotes will do all that with one button press. If you're tired of a lot of different remotes, you should look into them. Personally, I really like how I can configure just about anything in the setup -- I can rename things on the little touch screen and put any function on any button if I wanted to spend a lot of time customizing it.

I had the same experience with early smart TVs, but we bought one in 2018 that is as fast or faster than my Roku boxes (Premiere+ is the newest I have), and I can use just one remote for every source.

Speaking of which, Logitech Harmony remotes take a fair amount of setup, but once you have them configured they're great universal remotes. I've been using them for decades, and we got one for my MIL that she loves. You don't have to think about switching inputs or turning on separate devices, these remotes will do all that with one button press. If you're tired of a lot of different remotes, you should look into them. Personally, I really like how I can configure just about anything in the setup -- I can rename things on the little touch screen and put any function on any button if I wanted to spend a lot of time customizing it.

Yeah, I'm not saying don't buy a Smart TV. The one remote is nice, and in a place like a public blood center, crucial.

I was surprised that relatively recent model (last 3 years) TVs have this issue. Then again, the center likely gets the cheapest TVs available.

I find that going to the menu and doing a reboot helps a lot for responsiveness. Must be some caching issue.

Finally, if one doesn't like the responsiveness, you can always add a separate hardware device later.

False, the TV will come on with the last input source you selected.

If your TV has this option in its settings and if it is set to operate in this manner by the user. Otherwise (I think) they default to HDMI 1 on power up.

Not sure why you’d buy a Roku TV if you planned to subscribe to cable or satellite - but if so, you still have to switch input sources to another HDMI, coax or antenna input. Roku TVs and the like don’t magically integrate streaming with cable/satellite… https://www.alphr.com/roku-tv-connect-cable/

Yeah, I suspect we're both generalizing too much. I have a Roku TV and I have a cable box and it is a seamless operation. On power up I can set my Roku TV to switch to cable box or last used input or home menu or (I think) one of the 4 preprogrammed default streaming services, on my particular TV is Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, and Roku channel.

However, I have my cable box (and my PS4 and my Blu-ray player) connected to my AVR then a single HDMI cable runs to my TV. The only time I switch input sources to another HDMI, coax or antenna input is when I switch to an external HDTV over-the-air antenna.

Since there are many components and configurations available with hardware combinations I was a bit hasty with my blanket statement.

I can say for sure that I don't have a problem integrating my cable box with my Roku TV. Cable is simply another option, like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, on my apps home screen.

Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV devices offer way more apps, but Smart TVs offer quite a few more apps nowadays. For example, Samsung Smart TVs offer 77 apps. https://www.digitbin.com/samsung-smart-tv-apps/

I totally agree that it makes more sense to have those two separated, but having recently been in the market for buying a new TV, I noticed that it is getting quite difficult to even find a new TV without at least SOME “smart” capabilities.

We just purchased a 2022 Sony smart TV. The Best Buy installers not only installed but spent a decent amount of time setting up all our apps, and explained it's best to use the Sony remote. They also clued us in on YouTube TV, which is free. The best hour+ we've spent learning about streaming. The remote has access to Prime, Netflix, Disney, and one more we don't use. We don't have to mess with settings, cc is easily turned on for every app including Apple TV which was a PITA with the LG OLED we got a refund for.

The Sony easily transfers our viewing to our cable channels, we chose to keep our AT&T Uverse. When you start getting into the sports channel apps, BIG 10, tennis channels, etc the added apps get expensive. Our AT&T offers all the channels as supplements to the series, YouTube, and movie apps.

YouTube offers a paid subscription which is pretty awesome, but we're not there yet. We'll probably cut the cord and go wifi sometime soon. Then we'll want (rounding):

YouTube: $12/month
Netflix: $14/month
Prime: $12/month
ATT Fiber:$55/month
AppleTV: $5/month
Hulu $13/month
Showtime $11/month
Stars $5/month
HBO Max $15/month

Subtotal $142/month

But we have 2 nonsmart TVs which we'd have to use a Roku or prime stick. So it gets a bit complicated. With AT&T Uverse with all the above apps, we spend around $210/month. So, that is a savings but we're sitting on what we have for now.

Edit: In case you're interested, we got a refund for the LG OLED. Check out this link. We had most all of the issues explained here PLUS the power whatever thing went completely out and our $2000 TV went black. The technician said it was dead. It was 1.5 years old.
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1412238468277

Last edited:
If your TV has this option in its settings and if it is set to operate in this manner by the user. Otherwise (I think) they default to HDMI 1 on power up.

Yeah, I suspect we're both generalizing too much. I have a Roku TV and I have a cable box and it is a seamless operation. On power up I can set my Roku TV to switch to cable box or last used input or home menu or (I think) one of the 4 preprogrammed default streaming services, on my particular TV is Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, and Roku channel.

However, I have my cable box (and my PS4 and my Blu-ray player) connected to my AVR then a single HDMI cable runs to my TV. The only time I switch input sources to another HDMI, coax or antenna input is when I switch to an external HDTV over-the-air antenna.

Since there are many components and configurations available with hardware combinations I was a bit hasty with my blanket statement.

I can say for sure that I don't have a problem integrating my cable box with my Roku TV. Cable is simply another option, like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, on my apps home screen.
I've never had a TV that didn't automatically come on with the last input source chosen, I didn't have to change a setting anywhere. We currently have 3 TVs, two Sony's and one Samsung, from 16 to 5 years old, all come on using last input source chosen. Since we use our Rokus and stream exclusively, we basically never have to change inputs and we use our Roku remotes for everything including TV on/off and volume - we use one remote for everything over 99% of the time. Easy peasy. Once I had to change inputs to switch to antenna (internet fiber cut by aeration) or watch a movie via BluRay once or twice a year. I don't see how a Roku TV would be any more or less user friendly than any Smart TV with a Roku streamer, and again you are stuck with the original Roku hardware if you buy a Roku TV.

Last edited:
I'd like a dumber than dumb TV, just a tuner. Since I have a full computer next to the TV that is what makes it smart.

We only use our so called Smart TV as a main monitor, period in the living room. It is a smart New big LG OLED, but I never use the apps, I find them a lot slower and more cumbersome than my media player which feeds the Monitor via an AVR. All peripherals go through the AVR to the TV.

Most TV Apps are just designed to make the user pay more subscriptions. As I have none they are of no value.

We have 3 other TVs, one in the main bedroom, one in the study and one in the guest suite. All have ROKU sticks that we use with the Xfinity app. Our Cable and Internet bill is $101 a month, $70 of which is Internet, and $9 is HD, the main cable box is included, and I own the Modem and Router. I see no reason to cut the cord as it is pretty good value for what we get.

I use a URC programmable universal RF remote to control all AV Devices. Other than turning the TV on and off it has no other TV functionality as I have not bothered to program it to do so.

Last edited:
and again you are stuck with the original Roku hardware if you buy a Roku TV.

And once again I can buy the most recent Roku stick and plug it into my three year old Roku TV and use the stick for streaming bypassing the internal Roku streaming hardware.

I've used various Fire TV streaming devices since around 2015. We never switch inputs and we only use the Fire TV remote, which also controls the TV and AVR. The TV and AVR always power up to the correct input.

I don't use the apps on our smart TVs. But our TVs are fairly old. The native "smart" apps are terrible and the hardware is slow. OTOH, the smart functionality on most newer TVs is the same experience as with a standalone Roku or Fire TV streaming device. Same great library of apps, frequent updates, same speed and performance.

Both our kids have fancy new 4K Samsung TVs and they only use the remote and apps that came with the TV. I've used their smart TVs and in some ways, it is superior to a standalone streaming device. For example, switching to OTA or Blu-ray is like selecting an app on the home screen. So it's a better overall integration of streaming and other TV functionality and settings.

IME, the native smart functionality in a TV will be obsolete long before the display itself. But I see nothing wrong with using the included software and then later updating to a newer standalone streaming device. There are definitely some advantages of having everything integrated. But we'll probably stick with standalone Fire TV streaming devices, simply for the unified user experience on all our TVs.

Last edited:
And once again I can buy the most recent Roku stick and plug it into my three year old Roku TV and use the stick for streaming bypassing the internal Roku streaming hardware.
And once again, why not just buy the exact TV you want and a Roku stick from the start? Why buy a Roku TV knowing you will have to buy a Roku stick to keep it up to date one day? I don't see any advantage to owning a Roku TV in the first place, but maybe I'm missing something.

But you're right we got off to a bad start when you posted misleading or incorrect advice for others to read. "No you're not better off. This means every time you turn on your TV you have to change the input to the HDMI port that has the stick plugged into. It adds another layer onto the process. And it uses up an HDMI input." You seem to be the only person who's ever had a TV that blindly reset to a "home port." No one else here has so far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom