Have You Upsized Your TV Recently?

Oh here it is couldn’t find this thread.

Yep, we’re upsizing from 65” to 77” delivery next week! C2

Merry Christmas to us!

We did the same from Costco with extended 5yr warranty included free during BLack Friday. Entire family loves the new OLED set and yes it weighs less than our 9 yr old Samsung 65”. Amazing.

Highly recommend for anyone in the market :cool:

Oh here it is couldn’t find this thread.

Yep, we’re upsizing from 65” to 77” delivery next week! C2

Merry Christmas to us!

You will love it, great set. Going from 65 to 77 turned out to be more impactful than I imagined.

72" Vizio 4k in our bedroom.
65" LG 4k in our living room.
85" Sony Bravia 4k outside on our back porch.
114" Epson 1080P Projector in our theater.

Ironically the outdoor TV that we use the least seems to have the best picture out of the box. I haven't messed with the settings much on each of the TVs but I suppose I could google and find better settings or try some things by adjusting contrast, brightness etc.

I did dial in our 1080p projector in the theater. I replaced the bulb on that last winter and the picture is bright enough but it does get washed out in full summer sun a bit. I have a magnetic blackout cloth I can put over our windows to block all light in that room but rarely use it.

It's funny. For about 14 months a while back we didn't own a TV. I did enjoy life without all the screens around but its nice to be able to enjoy movies and TV and see the scenes. My vision is REALLY bad, something like 20/80 vision and my eye dr stated I will need bifocals within a few years. Its corrected to 20/20 with eye glasses or contacts though. That was my initial reasoning for the bigger TVs but I do admit I enjoy seeing a wide field of vision.

The 114" screen sits about 7ft away from our power reclining movie theater chairs. The screen is impressive, but the sound is incredible. Dolby Digital DTS HD Max,
Dolby Atmos/TrueHD with 16 speakers placed throughout the room including a 12" subwoofer and a 15" subwoofer. I would like to add a powered 10" subwoofer with a couple more atmos speakers in the ceiling. Next upgrade will likely be a 4k projector though. Many on the market are not "true" 4k and accomplish that resolution via Pixel Shifting technology, but it still would be an upgrade from the 1080p. About 1500 movies to choose from on our Plex Media server. Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu HD subscriptions for streaming.

Admittedly I am a bit of a snob when it comes to watching movies. I prefer the IMAX Screens when possible and also enjoy the Marcus Theater Ultrascreen DLX. We used to have a 7 story IMAX screen at our local Zoo that was independently owned by IMAX but they chose to shut it down in 2019 and never brought it back. I REALLY hope they upgrade that thing and bring it back to market.

Admittedly I am a bit of a snob when it comes to watching movies. I prefer the IMAX Screens when possible and also enjoy the Marcus Theater Ultrascreen DLX. We used to have a 7 story IMAX screen at our local Zoo that was independently owned by IMAX but they chose to shut it down in 2019 and never brought it back. I REALLY hope they upgrade that thing and bring it back to market.

I'm with you on that, and if you haven't seen it yet, Avatar: The Way Of Water is fantastic in IMAX 3D.

Yeah, size has proven to be surprisingly impactful. When we finally need to replace the living room (hopefully not for another decade at least, we will see what the lifespan of the modern TVs is), I want to try to get up to at least 120", but I need an emissive display for up there. Despite sitting at least twice as far from the 85" upstairs display as I do from the 83" display in the home theatre, my brain can tell it is bigger.

I totally understand. I got a 32" Toshiba TV in 1994 and used it until I got a 55" LG 3D HDTV in 2012.

I only got rid of an old 25" GE console TV (made in June 1980 according to the sticker on the back) when I got my first HDTV in 2008.

Until then that console was our main TV from when we got married in 1990.

Glad that I'm not alone here with having stuck with old TVs for decades!

When we upgraded to a 40" flat screen it seemed wonderful. And big.

Then we upgraded to a 65".

Perfect for us.

I bought a 75" 4K ULED Quantum Dot Hisense TV today, a step or so above the base model. I'm too cheap to pay any more :LOL:

This replaces an 8 year old 65" TV that is only 720p. That TV will move downstairs, and the 50" downstairs TV will replace an older 32" TV at our cabin.

I bought a 75" 4K ULED Quantum Dot Hisense TV today, a step or so above the base model. I'm too cheap to pay any more :LOL:

I'm sure you will love it.

I was looking at 75" HiSense and 75" TCL TV's but used the excuse that they either wouldn't fit on my current TV stand or they were too heavy for my TV stand. I leveraged that excuse into an LG OLED TV because they have a center pedestal stand and are a lot lighter in weight.

This replaces an 8 year old 65" TV that is only 720p. That TV will move downstairs, and the 50" downstairs TV will replace an older 32" TV at our cabin.

I love the cascading replacement effect. My 55" HiSense Roku is going upstairs to the family room and the 42" LG that's currently in there will likely be sold on Craig's list as my wife does not want a TV in the bedroom.

I love the cascading replacement effect. My 55" HiSense Roku is going upstairs to the family room and the 42" LG that's currently in there will likely be sold on Craig's list as my wife does not want a TV in the bedroom.

Upgrading the two other TVs was part of the reason why I bought the TV. We don't watch very much TV at the cabin but I'll be upgrading the plumbing to make it close to 4 season usage, plus we have new phone plans that give us enough data that we can use them as hotspots. So, on poor weather days we're now able to stream movies.

Back
Top Bottom